PDA

View Full Version : Royals Gordon, Mayhay, Hochevar and Maier all placed on DL this week

Reaper16
08-22-2008, 07:14 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/762018.html

The Chiefs aren't the only KC team with an injury problem right now. As if this August freefall couldn't get any worse for the Royals.:mad:

Reaper16
08-22-2008, 07:31 PM
This might actually get Shealy or Kila called up.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Does it really matter? Seriously? We'll miss Gordon's obligatory strikeout(s) and Hochevar's near 6 ERA, I guess...

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 07:33 PM
This might actually get Kila called up.

I'd love to see this, however, assuming the kid is ready.

If not, next year is fine.

Deberg_1990
08-22-2008, 07:39 PM
I really hope Dayton gets to the heart of why this team never competes. They cant ever seem to fully develop their prospects for whatever reason?? If he ever figures out why, we would probably see a dramatic turnaround.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I really hope Dayton gets to the heart of why this team never competes. They cant ever seem to fully develop their prospects for whatever reason?? If he ever figures out why, we would probably see a dramatic turnaround.

I don't think it's much a mystery. Do you? Do you believe the organization was trying, really trying, to win prior to Moore's arrival?

Did Beltran develop properly? Damon?

It's all about talent. Perhaps KC is unlucky with Gordon b/c he was supposed to be great, but more often than not, get whom you believe to be the best talent and get the best results.

The Royals recently started this approach, and it's going to take a long time. I think people midjudge the damage that has been done to this franchise.

Reaper16
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Does it really matter? Seriously? We'll miss Gordon's obligatory strikeout(s) and Hochevar's near 6 ERA, I guess...
We'll miss Gordon's walks for sure, and we'll miss Hoch's innings that the currently-shaky bullpen didn't have to pitch.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 08:09 PM
We'll miss Gordon's walks for sure, and we'll miss Hoch's innings that the currently-shaky bullpen didn't have to pitch.

And neither would likely amount to more wins, but that's ok.

Here's an interesting and entertaining piece from Joe Posnanski's blog. I hope Planeteers will find it enjoyable:

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/08/22/pozterisks-from-beijing/

OK, now Iím going to finally get to a point here. I have not really been able to keep up with stuff, but on Friday morning I did get to read what has to be one of the ten most amazing baseball quotes I have ever seen. Itís so incredible that I cannot even believe it. This, of course, involves Royals shortstop Tony Pena, the Bobblehead Kid, who is having a year for the ages. Yes, heís hitting .161. Yes, I have personally seen him blow four sacrifice bunt attempts which means he has to be in double digits in that category. Well, on Thursday ó to add to the Tony joy ó he apparently dropped a routine pop-up that ended up being a big factor in the loss. I really do like Tony personally, but Iíve got to say that he probably has had more ďWould you send that guy down to the minorsĒ moments than any player in the last decade.*

*Or at least since the great Neifi.

A dropped pop-up. Sheesh. It was a day game, so apparently he lost it in the sun. Hey, it happens. The thing is, Tony Pena was not wearing sunglasses at the time. Iím pretty agnostic about sunglasses, to be honest. Iíve actually had baseball players tell me that sunglasses are overrated, that in reality they donít do much for helping you deal with a sun field. Still, you want to wear them, even if itís only so you donít look stupid when you lose a pop-up in the sun. This leads to the quote Ö someone asked Tony Pena why he wasnít wearing sunglasses.

And hereís what he told our own Bob Dutton: ďI ordered some. But we never got them in.Ē

Thatís the quote. I want you to read that thing again. And again. And again. The Kansas CIty Royals have been battling Pittsburgh for the title of worst team in baseball for more than a decade now. I can, even in my Olympic stupor, tell you about the time Ken Harvey got hit in the back with a relay throw, the time two outfielders started jogging back to the dugout while a pop-up dropped behind them, the time Desi Relaford literally fell off first base, the time the Royals brought in a professional softball pitcher, the time an outfielder ran to the wall and climbed only to watch a fly ball bounce on the warning track in front of him, the time a an outfielder had a pop up hit him in the face when he wasnít wearing sunglasses then wore sunglasses on the plane ride home, the time Tony Pena Sr. jumped into the shower with his clothes on to inspire the team, the time Tony Muser talked about how the Royals needed to be drinking tequila, the time Buddy Bell batted someone out of order, the time Neifi refused to go into a game and then said he was joking, the time the Royals decided to do away with their tradition of wearing Negro Leagues uniforms for a game because they didnít want to pay for them Ö Iím telling you I could go on like this all day and all night and all the next day.

BUT Ö this might just be the topper. A shortstop for a Major League Baseball team played a day game without sunglasses. Why? Because the sunglasses he ordered never arrived. You have to figure that rock bottom is somewhere around here.

Sure-Oz
08-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Report: Alex Gordon has torn quadriceps
The Kansas City Star reports that Alex Gordon has been diagnosed with a torn quadriceps muscle in his right leg and is expected to be placed on the disabled list.
Gordon left Thursday's game with quadriceps soreness and a tear would almost certainly sideline him for the remainder of the season. Aside from trading some stolen bases for an increase in walks, Gordon has posted very similar numbers (.254/.349/.420, 14 homers, 51 RBI) to his disappointing rookie season (.247/.314/.411, 15 homers, 60 RBI). Gordon is still just 24 years old, but the former No. 2 overall pick and college player of the year has seen his long-term stock drop dramatically. Aug. 22 - 7:17 pm et
Source: Kansas City Star

per rotoworld.com

He's done.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Gordon is rumored to be out for the remainder of the year with a torn oblique muscle

Quad, right?

Sure-Oz
08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Quad, right?
I just made an edit, and yes...:(

Good mental break i guess for him

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
I just made an edit, and yes...:(

Good mental break i guess for him

Right on.

This season needs to be flushed.

Sure-Oz
08-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Right on.

This season needs to be flushed.

Horrible finish for us for sure, yeah there is 6 weeks but we are dropping like flies and this team is ready for the offseason. Hopefully we won't see some of these clowns back.

Mecca
08-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Torn Quad, he should consult Triple H and how that feels...

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Torn Quad, he should consult Triple H and how that feels...

Not good, I'm sure? Wha?

SithCeNtZ
08-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Mayhay proving exactly why you trade a 37 year old reliever having the best year of his career for anything you can at the deadline. There is no good reason why he is still on the team.

Mecca
08-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Not good, I'm sure? Wha?

Triple H is a wrestler who tore his and proceded to miss roughly 9 months...he had a pretty severe tear but just sayin.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Triple H is a wrestler who tore his and proceded to miss roughly 9 months...he had a pretty severe tear but just sayin.

Oh, ok. Sucks for Gordon. Hope he can recover more quickly.

Sam Hall
08-22-2008, 08:56 PM
You have to go to high school games around here if you want to see winning baseball and football. That's not a knock on high school sports. The best football around here is played on Friday night. The pro sports teams aren't giving us much to look forward to other than the drafts.

Deberg_1990
08-22-2008, 09:38 PM
You have to go to high school games around here if you want to see winning baseball and football. That's not a knock on high school sports. The best football around here is played on Friday night. The pro sports teams aren't giving us much to look forward to other than the drafts.

KU and MU???

SithCeNtZ
08-22-2008, 09:52 PM
WTF god damnit the worst base runner in the history of baseball is thrown out at home

Sam Hall
08-22-2008, 09:58 PM
KU and MU???

I was just talking about the KC area.