PDA

View Full Version : Elections We get it. You were a POW.

Direckshun
08-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Is it just me, or does McCain use his POW to try and weasil out of every political accusation tossed his way? (Or McCain's campaign, rather, since it's clear they're directing his rhetoric, not him.)

His POW status made him a military hero. Just like Giuliani's performance on 9/11 did the same. But when you overplay your hand, you become a clown. And it seems McCain is coming very close to that line.

I say that because I've bookmarked a few examples where he's used it for the most ridiculous of issues. He's used it all over the place, all the time, on a lot of issues. But here are a few examples of the silliest times he's exercised it.

In response to his houses gaffe (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/08/21/mccain_spokesmans_retort_obama.html):

"This is a guy who lived in one house for five and a half years -- in prison," referring to the prisoner of war camp that McCain was in during the Vietnam War.
In response to offering his wife up for that biker's topless swimsuit pageant (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/mccain_camps_defense_against_s.php):

The Wall St. Journal reports that McCain spokesman Brian Rogers fired back by saying that Americans "know that John McCain's faith and character were tested and forged in ways few can fathom."
In response to Elizabeth Edwards charging that he opposes government-sponsored healthcare despite the fact he's received it as a member of the Senate (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/21/elizabeth-edwards-responds-to-mccain-over-cheap-shot/?eref=ib_politicalticker):

“It’s a cheap shot but I did have a period of time where I didn’t have very good healthcare, I had it from another government,” said McCain, referring to the years he spent as a prisoner of war. “Look, I know what it’s like not to have healthcare.”
In response to the charge that he wasn't in Saddleback's cone of silence (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/18/us/politics/18mccain.html?_r=2&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&oref=slogin):

“The insinuation from the Obama campaign that John McCain, a former prisoner of war, cheated is outrageous,” Ms. Wallace said.
Probably the most ridiculous one, when asked why on earth he listed ABBA's "Dancing Queen" as his favorite song (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/15/mccain-rises-to-abbas-defense/):

“I’ve got to say that a lot of my taste in music stopped about the time I impacted a surface-to-air missile with my own airplane and never caught up again.”
So let me ask you folks, when is it too much? When is he on Rudy-like overkill?

Donger
08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Excellent.

Ultra Peanut
08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
“It’s a cheap shot but I did have a period of time where I didn’t have very good healthcare, I had it from another government,” said McCain, referring to the years he spent as a prisoner of war. “Look, I know what it’s like not to have healthcare.”So what if you can't afford that kidney transplant? I was a POW, bitch!

HolmeZz
08-22-2008, 08:40 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/CSBG/batman_dark_tomorrow_pow.jpg

Ultra Peanut
08-22-2008, 08:42 PM
A noun, a verb, and Vietnam.

Donger
08-22-2008, 08:53 PM
It's funny that Barack Hussein seems to get this issue, while his followers do not. It will be interesting to see if he changes his tune.

HolmeZz
08-22-2008, 09:00 PM
McCain's time as a POW is not being mocked. What's being mocked is McCain's insistence on using it as an excuse for every silly campaign issue that comes up.

McCain also said Obama had no right to question his stance on Jim Webb's veterans bill because "Obama didn't feel obligated to serve his country".

Johnny Mac is beyond reproach!

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:02 PM
McCain's time as a POW is not being mocked. What's being mocked is McCain's insistence on using it as an excuse for every silly campaign issue that comes up.

McCain also said Obama had no right to question his stance on Jim Webb's veterans bill because "Obama didn't feel obligated to serve his country".

Johnny Mac is beyond reproach!

Well, Barack Hussein didn't. I wonder why not? Has he ever talked about why he chose not to serve?

HolmeZz
08-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Well, Barack Hussein didn't. I wonder why not? Has he ever talked about why he chose not to serve?

LMAO What war would you've liked Barack to fight in?

Good deflection though. You've learned well, grasshopper.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:07 PM
LMAO What war would you've liked Barack to fight in?

Good deflection though. You've learned well, grasshopper.

War? I assume that Barack Hussein was physically and mentally qualified to have served in any branch of the US Armed Forces, wartime or not. I assume he chose not to.

Why is that?

BigChiefFan
08-22-2008, 09:08 PM
If he becomes president, that would be serving the country. The military isn't the only way to serve your country.

Donger
At least Barack Hussein gets it...

RENO, NEV.) - Barack Obama found himself defending John McCain today - at least when it comes his military service.

At a town hall meeting made up of mostly union workers, a member of the local chapter of the Ironworkers slammed McCain’s service.

“Now everything that he talks about is how much he suffered, he was the fattest prisoner that got off the plane,” the Obama supporter, who happens to be from the south side of Chicago, said.

As some in the crowd chuckled, Obama quickly interrupted the man and asked if he had a question. Although the supporter went on to ask about wages and the economy, Obama began his answer by condemning the man’s comments.

“Respectfully, I’m gonna disagree with you when it comes to McCain and his service,” Obama said to applause.

“I think his policies are terrible, I think his service was honorable and I think he deserves respect for that.”

Donger
If he becomes president, that would be serving the country. The military isn't the only way to serve your country.

I didn't say it was.

HolmeZz
08-22-2008, 09:09 PM
War? I assume that Barack Hussein was physically and mentally qualified to have served in any branch of the US Armed Forces, wartime or not. I assume he chose not to.

Why is that?

Why didn't he become a professional chef? I mean, he looks like a guy who could whip up a mean souffle.

Why didn't you serve in the military?

Pitt Gorilla
08-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I didn't say it was.Isn't he serving his country in the Senate?

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Why didn't he become a professional chef? I mean, he looks like a guy who could whip up a good souffle.

I suppose that would be relevant, if he were trying to become CiC of Le Cordon Bleu.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Isn't he serving his country in the Senate?

No. He's serving Illinois.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Why didn't he become a professional chef? I mean, he looks like a guy who could whip up a mean souffle.

Why didn't you serve in the military?

I wasn't a citizen until I graduated college. Tried to go to naval OCS and was rejected because I wasn't a woman or a minority.

Pitt Gorilla
08-22-2008, 09:14 PM
No. He's serving Illinois.I had no idea that Illinois seceded from the US. That sucks.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:16 PM
I had no idea that Illinois seceded from the US. That sucks.

It hasn't.

Pitt Gorilla
08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
It hasn't.So, where does your Venn diagram place Illinois?

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:18 PM
So, where does your Venn diagram place Illinois?

As a state.

Pitt Gorilla
08-22-2008, 09:19 PM
As a state.Ah, good. So the logic really isn't escaping you.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 09:20 PM
It hasn't.

Vintage Donger. You've been DC Demonpenzed.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Ah, good. So the logic really isn't escaping you.

I wasn't aware the Illinois had been promoted. Thanks for the heads-up.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Vintage Donger. You've been DC Demonpenzed.

I don't know what that means.

Simply Red
08-22-2008, 09:23 PM

I'll explain sometime soon.

Pitt Gorilla
08-22-2008, 09:24 PM
I wasn't aware the Illinois had been promoted. Thanks for the heads-up.They weren't.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
They weren't.

Well, that's good to know.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 09:26 PM

Are you familiar with Demonpenz's work?

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Are you familiar with Demonpenz's work?

No. I know that he posts on CP, but I'm not familiar with his "work."

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 09:30 PM
No. I know that he posts on CP, but I'm not familiar with his "work."

For my money he's one of the smarter posters on the Planet. His posts are full of structural and grammatical problems, but a small part of me believes this is a rhetorical device that he's well aware of.

Anywho...his responses are often unexpected and have a knack for disarming in unconventional ways.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:32 PM
For my money he's one of the smarter posters on the Planet. His posts are full of structural and grammatical problems, but a small part of me believes this is a rhetorical device that he's well aware of.

Anywho...his responses are often unexpected and have a knack for disarming in unconventional ways.

I do not make grammatical errors.

DaKCMan AP
08-22-2008, 09:33 PM

No, just logical and ideological errors.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 09:33 PM

This part isn't apt, but the rest is.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:34 PM
No, just logical and ideological errors.

Nonsense.

Donger
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
This part isn't apt, but the rest is.

Structural problems? Never.

Anyway, let's do try to keep this thread on course.

DeezNutz
08-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Structural problems? Never.

Anyway, let's do try to keep this thread on course.

Don't make me box your ears.

Mr. Kotter
08-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, being a POW is over-rated.

(How am I doin' IJ/PG? :p )

irishjayhawk
08-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, being a POW is over-rated.

(How am I doin' IJ/PG? :p )

Did I ever say you couldn't criticize Obama, because your shenanigans seem to indicate you think I did?

Mr. Kotter
08-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Did I ever say you couldn't criticize Obama, because your shenanigans seem to indicate you think I did?

No. You seemed to want me to more aggressively chastise/criticize McCain.

You know me; I just aim to please. Ask TJ.

irishjayhawk
08-22-2008, 11:19 PM
No. You seemed to want me to more aggressively chastise/criticize McCain.

You know me; I just aim to please. Ask TJ.

I said be even about it.

I didn't say, here, patronize me by posting bullshit on virtually every thread to make a point.

whatsmynameagain
08-22-2008, 11:53 PM
donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his momPosted via Mobile Device

whatsmynameagain
08-22-2008, 11:54 PM
donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his mom donger fist ****s his momPosted via Mobile Device
quoting myself, just wanted to act like donger, a complete ****ing toolshed, jackhammer and all

Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee
08-23-2008, 09:00 AM

So you chuckle and think of him every time you take that first gulp of cock in the morning?

Baby Lee
08-23-2008, 09:02 AM

If you wanted to make a repeated declaration such as this, why would you asterisk out what appears to be the action verb?

BucEyedPea
08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
His POW status made him a military hero.

This to me, is where the overkill is.

What makes someone a hero changes over time, but they are usually the stuff of legends, with feats of great courage (heroics) beyond an average person or soldier. Risking a life to save someone or for many for instance. Being willing to die in place of talking under torture. ( not saying mac did this, it is just an example)

Being a POW is more an unfortunate circumstance that one can't control once captured. If Mac is a "military hero" for it then all the POWs are or even all soldiers. Somehow that is not very discriminating standard for those deserving of the title "hero." It should be reserved for a small select group. That is not a group that Mac is in, imo.

Cannibal
08-23-2008, 11:26 AM

Dick Cheney: did not serve. (Five deferments!)
Dennis Hastert: did not serve.
Tom Delay: did not serve.
Bill Frist: did not serve.
Mitch McConnell: did not serve.
Rick Santorum: did not serve.
Trent Lott: did not serve.
John Ashcroft: did not serve. (Seven deferments!)
Jeb Bush: did not serve.
Karl Rove: did not serve.
Newt Gingrich: did not serve.
Rudy Giuliani: did not serve.
George Pataki: did not serve.
Paul Wolfowitz: did not serve.
Richard Perle: did not serve.
Douglas Feith: did not serve.
Eliot Abrams: did not serve.
Bill Kristol: did not serve.
Sean Hannity: did not serve.
Rush Limbaugh: did not serve.
Bill O'Reilly: did not serve.
Paul Gigot: did not serve.
Bill Bennett: did not serve.
Pat Buchanan: did not serve.
Ralph Reed: did not serve.
Michael Medved: did not serve.
etc...

George Bush... avoided military service in Vietnam by leap froggin the 100k+ waiting list for the Air National Guard

Cannibal
08-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Also note that all of those pole smoking dickweeds are the staunchest advocates for using military force.

CHICKENHAWKS.

Donger
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Dick Cheney: did not serve. (Five deferments!)
Dennis Hastert: did not serve.
Tom Delay: did not serve.
Bill Frist: did not serve.
Mitch McConnell: did not serve.
Rick Santorum: did not serve.
Trent Lott: did not serve.
John Ashcroft: did not serve. (Seven deferments!)
Jeb Bush: did not serve.
Karl Rove: did not serve.
Newt Gingrich: did not serve.
Rudy Giuliani: did not serve.
George Pataki: did not serve.
Paul Wolfowitz: did not serve.
Richard Perle: did not serve.
Douglas Feith: did not serve.
Eliot Abrams: did not serve.
Bill Kristol: did not serve.
Sean Hannity: did not serve.
Rush Limbaugh: did not serve.
Bill O'Reilly: did not serve.
Paul Gigot: did not serve.
Bill Bennett: did not serve.
Pat Buchanan: did not serve.
Ralph Reed: did not serve.
Michael Medved: did not serve.
etc...

George Bush... avoided military service in Vietnam by leap froggin the 100k+ waiting list for the Air National Guard

So, your answer is: "I don't know"?

Donger
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM

Have I upset you in some way?

Cannibal
08-23-2008, 01:26 PM
So, your answer is: "I don't know"?

No, my answer is; he probably didn't want to join the service. However, I do know that he is not a gutless chickenhawk like those I listed.

Donger
08-23-2008, 01:57 PM
No, my answer is; he probably didn't want to join the service. However, I do know that he is not a gutless chickenhawk like those I listed.

Why do you think he didn't want to join the service?

tiptap
08-23-2008, 01:59 PM
His father didn't get him into the Air Force program.

Donger
08-23-2008, 02:03 PM
His father didn't get him into the Air Force program.

I'll bet Kenya has a gnarly Air Force.

BucEyedPea
Also note that all of those pole smoking dickweeds are the staunchest advocates for using military force.

CHICKENHAWKS.

Not Pat Buchanan. He's even outflanked the left in his commentary against going into Iraq, Iran, Nato encirclement of Russia and baiting the Bear. In fact he is so anti-war he doesn't even think WWI or II were necessary. I can't think of any war he supports except for the Am Rev/1812 and the ColdWar, a war fought mostly by proxy.

Sorry but you miscategorized him.

Messier
I'll bet Kenya has a gnarly Air Force.

Probably not.

Cannibal
08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Not Pat Buchanan. He's even outflanked the left in his commentary against going into Iraq, Iran, Nato encirclement of Russia and baiting the Bear. In fact he is so anti-war he doesn't even think WW! or II were necessary. I can't think of any war he supports except for the Am Rev/1812 and the ColdWar, a war fought mostly by proxy.

Sorry but you miscategorized him.

You are correct. I realized it after I posted it. But the vast majority of the list above are in fact Chickenhawks though.

Cannibal
08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Why do you think he didn't want to join the service?

I really don't give a ****.

Donger
08-23-2008, 02:10 PM
You are correct. I realized it after I posted it. But the vast majority of the list above are in fact Chickenhawks though.

So, someone who never served should not ever be for war? If so, is the reverse true?

Donger
08-23-2008, 02:11 PM
I really don't give a ****.

Interesting.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2008, 02:12 PM

Yes, that's true.

penchief
08-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Excellent.

I agree, man. McCain is quickly making himself into a joke.

penchief
08-23-2008, 06:02 PM
It's funny that Barack Hussein seems to get this issue, while his followers do not. It will be interesting to see if he changes his tune.

Barak Obama is just being smart. Once a lot of people get sick of McCain exploiting his POW status as a free pass for everything under the sun (including legitimate criticisms) he will lose a segment of the voting population that he will not be able to get back.

You are right about one thing, though. One candidate is extending the proper respect to the other while the other candidate is resorting to derision and mockery like some self-entitled brat.

penchief
08-23-2008, 06:13 PM
So, someone who never served should not ever be for war? If so, is the reverse true?

The irony is that those who rammed Shock and Awe down our throats are the biggest bunch of chickenhawks that ever existed. And they are advocates of military aggression over diplomacy. While those who have served in war are advocates of a using our military only as a last resort.

So yeah, it's pretty tragic to have a bunch of draft dodgers like Bush, Cheney & Company sending our troops into a meat grinder for their own political self-aggrandizement.