View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs want to put more points on the board

Tribal Warfare
08-23-2008, 12:23 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/762543.html

Chiefs want to put more points on the board
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

* Five things to watch for during tonight’s Chiefs-Dolphins game

MIAMI | The offense for every successful Herm Edwards-coached team will need to have a few basic elements: the ability to start games quickly, keep the ball away from the opponent and run it effectively.

So far, so good for the Chiefs on those counts in their first two exhibition games. They scored on each of their first drives, held the ball for more than 7 minutes on each of those possessions and battered the Cardinals for 76 yards in the quarter and a half last week.

They will eventually have to score more points. In the equivalent of about three quarters with Brodie Croyle as the quarterback, the Chiefs have just 13 points.

Scoring touchdowns will be the offensive focus in tonight’s game as the Chiefs continue their preseason against the Dolphins.

“The first two games you work on specific things and the third game you kind of bring it all together,” Croyle said. “So we want to go out there and have a good showing, put some points on the board.”

Croyle and the Chiefs three times moved inside the opponent 20-yard line and emerged with only one touchdown. A penalty set them back on two of those drives, but they were able to get past it on the opening possession in Chicago two weeks ago, when they went five for five on third-down plays.

They managed only two field goals on two drives inside the Arizona 20 last week.

“We’d like to score (touchdowns) when we get into the red zone,” Edwards said. “That’s probably our deal this week. I don’t know what the weather is going to be like. I’ve heard it’s going to rain a lot. We’ll see what happens.”

“We’ve been pretty good offensively staying on the field. That’s a good sign for us. We ran the ball pretty well last week. We’d like to make some bigger plays in the passing game.”

Croyle’s longest completion is only 22 yards, though he could have had a couple of longer ones had he been more accurate against the Cardinals last week.

The Chiefs were initially concerned about the ability of their tackles to protect Croyle, but those worries have eased some. Rookie Branden Albert was off to a strong start in camp before injuring his foot. Herb Taylor has played beyond the Chiefs’ expectations as his replacement.

Damion McIntosh, the starter on the right side, missed some practice time because of knee and ankle soreness and may not play tonight.

“I feel confident that we have three starting tackles now,” guard Brian Waters said. “Herb’s really played that well. Brandon, in the week or so that he practiced, he really excelled far and above what we expected. I’m confident in his abilities. I just don’t know when he’ll be back.”

With so many new elements to fit together, the Chiefs realized they would be in a rush to get ready for the Sept. 7 regular-season opener against the Patriots in New England. Not surprisingly, consistency has been the missing element.

The Chiefs had three other possessions with Croyle. All consisted of three plays and a punt.

“We’re doing some things that are OK,” offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said. “I’m happy with the progress we’ve made. But I don’t think we’re where we want to be in any area right now. We’ve still got a lot to do. We won’t have enough time to do all of the things we want to get done before we play New England. But it’s what we have and we’ll have to make do.”

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Chiefs play football.

Exclusive at 11!

Bob Dole
08-23-2008, 12:48 AM
That's a novel idea for a Herm Edwards coached team: Put points on the board.

Wow.

Count Alex's Wins
08-23-2008, 12:51 AM
CHIEFS CAN BEAT ANYONE

How do I know the Chiefs can beat anyone? They have some really good player men. Some of them footballed for major universities.

But more importantly, they all try really hard. And they want to score points.

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2008, 12:52 AM
:eek:

Duh!

What a revelation!

:shake:

Mr. Kotter
08-23-2008, 12:54 AM
CHIEFS CAN BEAT ANYONE

How do I know the Chiefs can beat anyone? They have some really good player men. Some of them footballed for major universities.

But more importantly, they all try really hard. And they want to score points.

Hey, Herm....S.T.F.U., okay? :rolleyes:

:p

DeezNutz
08-23-2008, 12:58 AM
The good thing is, if we don't score on our first drive, we'll go back out there on our next drive and try again. /Herm/

Bob Dole
08-23-2008, 01:13 AM
Sometimes. it's a good thing if your team tries to go out and put some touchdowns on the board, because you can't always depend on the other team just settling for field goals. There are some teams in this league that take an Arena League approach, and you never know that in advance.

chiefs1111
08-23-2008, 01:39 AM
The good thing is, if we don't score on our first drive, we'll go back out there on our next drive and try again. /Herm/

I don't know,that sounds like Arena Football to me and Herm don't like that.

InChiefsHell
08-23-2008, 07:57 AM
After looking at where we're at these last 2 games, we figure it's time now to start scoring some points, put some points on the board. Last time I checked, you can't win football games unless you score more points. So we've decided to take that approach. It took some convincing for me, but in the end I feel good about it, and I know Chan likes the idea. The guys all want to score points, so we figure we're all on the same page and now it's just a question of getting it done. At the end of the day, you need to score more points. /Herm

:D

BigRedChief
08-23-2008, 08:30 AM
That's a novel idea for a Herm Edwards coached team: Put points on the board.

Wow.
Damn that was some crack reporting. And people wonder why newspapers are dying.

morphius
08-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm absolutely shocked, the Chiefs want to score more points, and Teicher should be ashamed, giving out the secrets of our game plan to the rest of the NFL!!! What is that bastard going to give away next, the fact that we want to turn the ball over less than the other team? The humanity of it all!!!

Chiefshrink
08-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Herm!!! You said it years ago. "HELLO,You(We now) play to win the game"!!!!

KCJohnny
08-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Looks like John Madden has been listened to at One Arrowhead Drive.

"In the end, it's usually the team that scores the most points that wins".

JM

morphius
08-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Looks like John Madden has been listened to at One Arrowhead Drive.

"In the end, it's usually the team that scores the most points that wins".

JM
Since we are now taking instruction from Madded are we also going to start pulling lineman from the game for lacking enough butt sweat as well?

OnTheWarpath58
08-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Time for Teicher to hang it up.

Preseason or not, this is the best idea for a story you can come with?

On a game day?

Next Week: Chiefs Defense wants to keep points off the board for the opposition...

Bearcat
08-23-2008, 09:36 AM
They will eventually have to score more points. In the equivalent of about three quarters with Brodie Croyle as the quarterback, the Chiefs have just 13 points.

At this point in last year's preseason we had scored 7 points in Croyle's first 4 quarters, and he was shutout the last two games.

Just 13 points? Pffft... we're playing our games in the Sprint Center this year.

I hope he has a couple of good drives so we can go back to loving Croyle's potential.

:eek:

Duh!

What a revelation!

:shake:

Football 101, The Balanced Offense

Week 1: Audibles
Week 2: Play-action pass
Week 3: Putting it All Together: Trying to Score on Every Drive

Next Week: F*** St. Louis

Deberg_1990
08-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Crapola like this is one of the reasons print media is dying and Claythan's new media army is taking over.

KCJohnny
08-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Crapola like this is one of the reasons print media is dying and Claythan's new media army is taking over.

Claythan will never have anything more than a tiny cult following that relates to references to blasphemy, masturbation and self-negation.

bringbackmarty
08-23-2008, 09:52 AM
jesus, he is bad.....

Deberg_1990
08-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Claythan will never have anything more than a tiny cult following that relates to references to blasphemy, masturbation and self-negation.

I agree. I meant the new media in general.

boogblaster
08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Teicher is a dumb-fuk .. That said, yes the Chiefs need to score points ... If we can't score against Miami this could be a long long season ...

Chief Henry
08-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Adam Teicher,

You are on the receiving end of some harsh comments again. The article is one of your weakest for sure, but you can tell most chief fans are pretty jaded these days.
We're sick of the Carl Petersen era. Until something extremely good happens at Arrowhead, you'll probably be the brunt of many nagative comments by us. We see you as a talking head for the chiefs ---whether thats right or wrong, perception is 99% reality until we see different. Until the Chiefs clean house in MANAGEMENT or until we win SUPERBOWL, look for more smack form us. We are a pissed off bunch right now...........................I'm guessing you already know that.

Sincerely,

Chief Henry

Count Alex's Wins
08-23-2008, 01:09 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkajXeVLpk4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkajXeVLpk4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnyLaYPfjHE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

OnTheWarpath58
08-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Adam Teicher,

You are on the receiving end of some harsh comments again. The article is one of your weakest for sure, but you can tell most chief fans are pretty jaded these days.
We're sick of the Carl Petersen era. Until something extremely good happens at Arrowhead, you'll probably be the brunt of many nagative comments by us. We see you as a talking head for the chiefs ---whether thats right or wrong, perception is 99% reality until we see different. Until the Chiefs clean house in MANAGEMENT or until we win SUPERBOWL, look for more smack form us. We are a pissed off bunch right now...........................I'm guessing you already know that.

Sincerely,

Chief Henry

HUH?

He's on the receiving end of some harsh comments because he wrote an article I'd expect from a HS Freshman - WTF does Peterson have to do with it?

"Chiefs want to put more points on the board"

If that isn't mailing it in, I don't know what is.

Mr. Laz
08-23-2008, 02:45 PM
score more points??

Balderdash ... Balderdash i say!!!

'tis Arena Ball trash we be talking now :shake:

Smed1065
08-23-2008, 03:20 PM
He should have stated TD's instead of FG's.

Would have livened the discussion up.

:evil:

Ari Chi3fs
08-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Now our defensive opponents will know we want to score more points. We are DoooooooOOOOOoooomed!!!

Count Alex's Wins
08-23-2008, 04:36 PM

Me and my buddy Bobby Bell, eh?

http://kan.scout.com/2/780826.html

chiefsngop
08-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Anybody catch Herm's quote about the weather, you gotta love a coach who starts referencing excuses BEFORE the game is Even Played !

The line of the article I found most interesting (absurd)

(Paraphrased of course)

Herm-

"We want to score more points, but I heard it might be rainy, so I'm not too concerned as my excuse is ready made already" -Herm

(And his follow up) (Complete fiction of course)

"You know it nevers rains in arena football, probably why they're scoring so many points....."
-Herm

Smed1065
08-23-2008, 04:58 PM
There is no excuses in football.

And none for Herm from here on out.

chiefsngop
08-23-2008, 05:01 PM
There is no excuses in football.

And none for Herm from here on out.

I wish, Herm will be giving excuses at his resignation / termination conference.

Teicher's Headline For Next Article-

INSIDE SCOOP : IF KANSAS CITY WINDS UP WITH A HIGH FIRST ROUND PICK FOR THE 2009 DRAFT, THEY WILL BE LOOKING AT PLAYERS FROM NCAA DIVISION I !

Smed1065
08-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I wish, Herm will be giving excuses at his resignation / termination conference.

INSIDE SCOOP : IF KANSAS CITY WINDS UP WITH A HIGH FIRST ROUND PICK FOR THE 2009 DRAFT, THEY WILL BE LOOKING AT PLAYERS FROM NCAA DIVISION I !

Is he related to Gunther?

Smed1065
08-23-2008, 05:04 PM

He will never be terminated!

He does not have a computer.

Spott
08-23-2008, 05:18 PM
battered the Cardinals for 76 yards in the quarter and a half last week.

76 yards in a 1 1/2 quarters comes out to 202 yards of offense for the entire game.