PDA

View Full Version : Elections Obama's 3 AM Text Message

jAZ
08-23-2008, 12:08 PM
ROFL

They made their official annoucement of Biden by sending a text message out at 3 AM.

Nicely done.

ROFL

|Zach|
08-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes I was getting home from drinks with my friends.

Flipped open my phone and had a laugh.

|Zach|
08-23-2008, 12:15 PM
(Via Mashable (http://mashable.com/2008/08/23/obama-sms/))

Obama Spoils the SMS Surprise and Still Hits a Triple

I’m still waiting for my text message.

As the world now knows - courtesy of CNN’s Twitter feed, and now countless channels elsewhere - the junior senator from Illinois, Barack Obama, has chosen the veteran legislator from Delaware, Joe Biden, to accompany him on the ticket for the final months of the 2008 U.S. presidential election campaign. Speculation was palpable in the latter half of the week, Friday especially, but the guesswork has since been officially validated. And all it seemed to take was some well-financed, Big Media-driven investigative savvy.

I must say I’m not surprised that the cart came before the horse on this one. As if the Obama for America campaign could really keep it shut all the way to Saturday morning, when it planned to distribute via mass SMS and email the senator’s pick for VP. Logic doth prove such an experiment’s success unlikely, if not impossible. If you do a good amount of pestering and sort of a Sudoku-esque cancellation of the no-goes, eventually you’ll get something. Indeed, if you happen to be an outfit such as CNN CNN , well, doors tend to open, willingly or unwillingly.

That being said, the promotional push being attempted was a smart one. The guy gets press for putting the people first, he gets said people to commit their digits, the giftwrap gets torn prematurely, and everyone’s abuzz. Voilà. The man knows how to market himself.

It really is interesting to see how technology has pervaded the political scene the last year or so. Far more than 2004 and 2000, for sure. At those moments, online interaction was brewing, but it was not booming. The most highlighted stories to come out of recent elections past were the funding efforts taking place on the Web. Now there’s thunder. Now there are the social networking and social media components that have taken stride in ways that seem increasingly critical to the candidates’ success - Barack Obama’s especially.

His campaign’s drive to lower the bar for access to information has gripped millions of people around the country. The most current example is of course the grand text-email login. He convinced a vast swath of the population to offer their cellular connections to his promotional engine, and it’s doubtful that he will do nothing but prosper further from it.

Yes, grumblings about deflated followers will naturally be amplified over the weekend and could even loiter around a bit longer. The bandwagon, after all, which was en route to what they thought would be a special celebration via their inboxes, was prematurely shown billboards screaming a secret they’d wished to know before the press could deliver its affirmative fill. Alas, the spell was broken, and quite a few folk will let that be known in the coming hours - including myself and Mashable’s commander in chief.

But soon enough Denver will be ablaze with talk of hope, unity, strength, and messianic worship of the Washingtonian kind, and the “botched” mobile messaging play will be a boo-boo on the heal. All in all, this whole spectacle makes for yet one more hefty bump for Obama. He gets press for thinking of you, lucky you; breaks your heart a bit; presumably does his rockstar thing in front of 80,000 or so disciples (with some opposing apples littered amongst the many); and continues on as he has done since June, likely none the worse for forgetting to send you 160 characters before letting slip to those gorgeous news people over there.

Technology is fantastic, is it not? No one can argue with that. Especially when it is used effectively. Funnily enough, Obama didn’t have to make good on that front to make his latest splash. What’s the saying? All’s fair in love and war?

wazu
08-23-2008, 12:22 PM
ROFL

They made their official annoucement of Biden by sending a text message out at 3 AM.

Nicely done.

ROFL

Yeah. Promising his supporters they will get the intel first via text message, then making sure that 90% of them find out from another source first...VERY nicely done! Way to stick it to 'em, Barry!

Der Flöprer
08-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I am extremely shocked at this choice. It throws my Bilderberg group conspiracy theory out the window. I'm happy about that for now.

HolmeZz
08-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah. Promising his supporters they will get the intel first via text message, then making sure that 90% of them find out from another source first...VERY nicely done! Way to stick it to 'em, Barry!

You'd have to be pretty retarded to be blaming his campaign for that, which is what I heard the talking heads say last night. There's only so much they could've done considering all the major media outlets were camped outside Biden's house when his secret service detail showed up.

wazu
08-23-2008, 12:47 PM
You'd have to be pretty retarded to be blaming his campaign for that, which is what I heard the talking heads say last night. There's only so much they could've done considering all the major media outlets were camped outside Biden's house when his secret service detail showed up.

Gimme a break. I'm pretty sure they could have sent a text message 20 minutes prior to the arrival of Secret Service. I kinda doubt Joe Biden, even now, is considered a high-priority target for Al Qaeda. Honestly he has more national importance as a Senator. And if they maintain that they couldn't have taken such a massive risk, then why hype up the text message thing in the first place? Did they know all along that it was just gonna be a gimmick that wouldn't really work?

HolmeZz
08-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Gimme a break. I'm pretty sure they could have sent a text message 20 minutes prior to the arrival of Secret Service.

Friday night isn't a time you dump stuff. Their plan was to keep this secret until the morning, when most of the news outlets were already set-up to carry his rally in Springfield.

Did they know all along that it was just gonna be a gimmick that wouldn't really work?

I think they believed it would work, and they kept it secret for as long as they possible could. Their campaign has been applauded for being able to stay on message and not have it leak. I just don't think they envisioned the media camping outside Biden's house at 3 in the morning when his secret service detail arrived. I guess they're guilty of building up the hype, but for the media to be blaming his campaign for something they're 100% at fault for is mind-boggling.

wazu
08-23-2008, 01:04 PM
I think they believed it would work, and they kept it secret for as long as they possible could. Their campaign has been applauded for being able to stay on message and not have it leak. I just don't think they envisioned the media camping outside Biden's house at 3 in the morning when his secret service detail arrived. I guess they're guilty of building up the hype, but for the media to be blaming his campaign for something they're 100% at fault for is mind-boggling.

Look, it's not like it really matters, or should swing any votes. I just think it was poorly handled, and kind of a let-down after all the hype.

I remember hearing about how people were camped outside Biden's house yesterday day. Why would anybody expect that to change when they knew that the news had to break no later than Saturday? I don't believe that's what happened, but if it did...yikes.

Also, you say 3 A.M. I wasn't online or watching any news last night, but Jake's thread looks like it was posted at 11:08 p.m. EDT. So even at that point they probably could have sent out the text and it wouldn't have been as bad. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I turned on the news this morning and heard the page went out at 3.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=189623

Ultra Peanut
08-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah. Promising his supporters they will get the intel first via text message, then making sure that 90% of them find out from another source first...VERY nicely done! Way to stick it to 'em, Barry!I love that THIS is what the right is jumping onto as a negative.

A) The news story was broken after midnight on a Friday/Saturday. How many people do you think were watching cable news at that time?

B) Even when the news started reporting that it was Biden, it wasn't official until the Obama camp actually announced it. They announced it via text and their website.

The point of the text announcement was to be able to send GOTV messages to those numbers in November.

memyselfI
08-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Look, it's not like it really matters, or should swing any votes. I just think it was poorly handled, and kind of a let-down after all the hype.

I remember hearing about how people were camped outside Biden's house yesterday day. Why would anybody expect that to change when they knew that the news had to break no later than Saturday? I don't believe that's what happened, but if it did...yikes.

Also, you say 3 A.M. I wasn't online or watching any news last night, but Jake's thread looks like it was posted at 11:08 p.m. EDT. So even at that point they probably could have sent out the text and it wouldn't have been as bad. I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I turned on the news this morning and heard the page went out at 3.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=189623

It was dumb. They had all the momentum and the media on pins and needles yesterday only to make some silly point about 3 AM. Thus, when people awoke this morning they learned that 1. Biden is the choice, 2. you missed the text, 3. McCain's response is using Biden against NObama.

Thus, if you woke up and started watching the news at 8 am by the time the introduction event occurs you have likely seen the McCain ad and/or Biden's biting remarks about NObama for at least 5-6 hours before Biden shows up at NObama's side.

Then you get to see them side by side all in love knowing full well that Biden has previously spoken poorly about the guy he's now trying to pimp thanks to the lull between the text and the event, the McCain ad, and the media rolling the clips.

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
08-23-2008, 01:34 PM
"The Obama people were masterful at keeping this thing quiet." - Howard Fineman

Carlota69
08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
I thought it was hilarious. Showed me they had a sense of humor. Interesting how people are finding negative in it :shake:

memyselfI
08-23-2008, 01:48 PM
I think this will end up like the Europe trip stunt.

Gospel to the Obots, flop to the rest of us.

Ultra Peanut
08-23-2008, 01:50 PM
I think this will end up like the Europe trip stunt.

Gospel to the Obots, flop to the rest of us.Please tell us how the undecided independents are taking this! You're such a <strike>ra</strike> representative sample!

Donger
08-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Juvenile, and strategically stupid to boot.

tk13
08-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Arguing over stuff like this is when you've crossed the line of being too insanely involved in politics. It's a text message. Any conservative discussing this at all to argue someone shouldn't be president needs to step away and take a deep breath, seriously. On the other hand, after all that hype, I think it's kinda silly and probably a bit pointless that they actually sent it at 3 am.

BigOlChiefsfan
08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I was just talking to an old friend in CA who's a member of PUMA, she's pretty angry about the timing of the text message, says it was intentional. I'm sure the usual suspects will line up to PROVE it wasn't, but it's not ME you have to convince. She's also mad about the 'Hillary not even vetted' thing.
She's always voted for the democrat before, but she's not voting for Obama. Hey, it's just one vote. Who needs her anyway?

splatbass
08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Did they know all along that it was just gonna be a gimmick that wouldn't really work?

Didn't work? Did you see all the publicity they got from this? It was all the press was talking about all week. It worked like a charm. They got non-stop coverage for most of a week, for free. It worked spectacularly well.

|Zach|
08-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I was just talking to an old friend in CA who's a member of PUMA, she's pretty angry about the timing of the text message, says it was intentional. I'm sure the usual suspects will line up to PROVE it wasn't, but it's not ME you have to convince. She's also mad about the 'Hillary not even vetted' thing.
She's always voted for the democrat before, but she's not voting for Obama. Hey, it's just one vote. Who needs her anyway?

Sure.

Guru
08-23-2008, 03:34 PM
I thought it was hilarious. Showed me they had a sense of humor. Interesting how people are finding negative in it :shake:

Sense of humor? If I had been waiting all week on pins and needles for his announcement only to find he did it while everyone was sleeping, I don't think I would see humor in that.

I don't care either way but I found the whole fiasco really stupid.

DaFace
08-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure why I've never figured this out until today, but the personality of this forum makes perfect sense given the topic of the larger forum. As sports fans, people have a natural tendency to be overly optimistic, championing the strengths of their teams and downplaying the shortfalls. In the same sense that many people either can't or refuse to acknowledge the strengths of the other team and instead focus on the other team's weaknesses.

This forum is the equivalent of throwing ChiefsPlanet and the Orange Mane together and seeing the results. Interesting.

This really has very little to do with this specific thread, but it was an epiphany of sorts for me. However, it certainly doesn't deserve its own thread, so carry on with your regularly scheduled bashing of those who have different opinions than your own. :p

ROYC75
08-23-2008, 03:40 PM
All too funny .....

Guru
08-23-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure why I've never figured this out until today, but the personality of this forum makes perfect sense given the topic of the larger forum. As sports fans, people have a natural tendency to be overly optimistic, championing the strengths of their teams and downplaying the shortfalls. In the same sense that many people either can't or refuse to acknowledge the strengths of the other team and instead focus on the other team's weaknesses.

This forum is the equivalent of throwing ChiefsPlanet and the Orange Mane together and seeing the results. Interesting.

This really has very little to do with this specific thread, but it was an epiphany of sorts for me. However, it certainly doesn't deserve its own thread, so carry on with your regularly scheduled bashing of those who have different opinions than your own. :p

Nah, we know the Chiefs won't be very good this year.

DaFace
08-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Nah, we know the Chiefs won't be very good this year.

Well, OK. Keep the analogy, but make it a year when either team could make it to the SB. I know, difficult to imagine for Chiefs fans...

Guru
08-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Well, OK. Keep the analogy, but make it a year when either team could make it to the SB. I know, difficult to imagine for Chiefs fans...
Hell, I have imagined that for decades. :shake:

Friendo
08-23-2008, 03:59 PM

if they can't be satisfied with Biden on the ticket, then yes, who needs them!

Guru
08-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Watching the replay of todays rally, it kind of made me laugh when he introduced Joe Biden as the next PRESIDENT of the united states.

Also...

OBAMA
BIDEN

The B and the I line up perfectly on their banners.

kc1977
08-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I got a CNN Breaking News email at 11:55 PM last night with CNN confirming Biden was the choice. Seems to me this text message stunt backfired, as they had to scramble and end up sending a message in the middle of the night. They waited too long, and people who promised to keep quiet did not, and it ends up biting them. And, to top it all off, the choice. Wow, a great day for the McCain camp.

Friendo
08-23-2008, 04:06 PM
every new day is a great day for McCain

Guru
08-23-2008, 04:07 PM
I have to agree with whoever said it earlier. McCain pretty much CAN'T pick Romney now if he really wants to take advantage of the Biden pick.

DeezNutz
08-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Of course they knew it wouldn't work. Actually following through on the promise to alert the followers first was never the point.

The actual purpose was to contrast further the differences between McCain, who presumably doesn't know how to work an Internet, and Obama, who presumably can manipulate something as sophisticated as a text message.

HolmeZz
08-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I have to agree with whoever said it earlier. McCain pretty much CAN'T pick Romney now if he really wants to take advantage of the Biden pick.

Why? McCain hasn't seemed to care about contradicting himself.

Guru
08-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Why? McCain hasn't seemed to care about contradicting himself.
It's just an agreement with an earlier statement.:rolleyes:

Donger
08-23-2008, 04:15 PM

I would say it needs to be Thune or Pawlenty.

DeezNutz
08-23-2008, 04:20 PM
What about Palin?

Many have been praising Biden's ability to attack aggressively, but this selection might mitigate this quality.

HolmeZz
08-23-2008, 04:25 PM
It's just an agreement with an earlier statement.:rolleyes:

I know, but I'm just saying why the logic probably doesn't apply.

splatbass
08-23-2008, 04:25 PM
What about Palin?

Many have been praising Biden's ability to attack aggressively, but this selection might mitigate this quality.

Micheal Palin?

I guess if John Cleese can support Obama.....

beer bacon
08-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Biden is going to be attack McCain, not his VP.

Guru
08-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I know, but I'm just saying why the logic probably doesn't apply.
Yeah, I can see your point. The maverick in him will probably **** it up. heh

DeezNutz
08-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Sarah Palin.

Would change the dynamics of the VP debates.

beer bacon
08-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Sarah Palin.

Would change the dynamics of the VP debates.

The right ticket is McCain/Jeb08!

Der Flöprer
08-25-2008, 12:15 AM
I am extremely shocked at this choice. It throws my Bilderberg group conspiracy theory out the window. I'm happy about that for now.

Check that. A simple google search shows Biden has long been affiliated with the Bilderbergs. He voted for the Iraq War. Voted for the Patriot Act as well as the Patriot Act Reauthorization.
Voted for the Real ID Act.

So republican, yet democratic at the same time.

bkkcoh
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I totally missed the irony on that time until a buddy of mine pointed it out to me..

Brilliant thought, absolutely brilliant.... :toast:

Not sure if the pick is a good one or not.