PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why did the Chiefs not try to fix the O-line with

Tuckdaddy
08-23-2008, 08:00 PM
a couple of FA's to help. I've said this before. We have the cash and they commit to Brodie but they don't spend any and give him a shit O-line to work with. LJ can move the chains but they give him cash and a shit O-line.

I understand the youth movement but the one glaring need we had was O-line. and we did nothing.

kstater
08-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Did nothing except those Albert and Richardson fellows.

evolve27
At least a C or G in draft should have been covered.

petegz28
We're still waiting for Roaf to come back!

BigMeatballDave
08-23-2008, 09:22 PM
:spock:

blueballs
08-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Are you Guntherfan's brother

morphius
08-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Maybe you can find the stud FA tackles you would have liked to pick up? There are very few and there are rarely any available, there may have been some this year, but really, I can't remember any.

Frankie
08-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Did nothing except those Albert and Richardson fellows.

I get your point, but I do agree with Tuckdaddy on this one. It can be argued that the O-line is a work in progress and we are not competing for the playoffs this year anyway. But in order to give Croyle's development the best chance we need to keep him in one piece, physically and mentally. We have the young prospects that you have pointed out, but how about getting a viable older vet who can come in and hold down, say the RG or RT spot for a year or so to keep Croyle in one piece?

kstater
08-23-2008, 09:37 PM
I get your point, but I do agree with Tuckdaddy on this one. It can be argued that the O-line is a work in progress and we are not competing for the playoffs this year anyway. But in order to give Croyle's development the best chance we need to keep him in one piece, physically and mentally. We have the young prospects that you have pointed out, but how about getting a viable older vet who can come in and hold down, say the RG or RT spot for a year or so to keep Croyle in one piece?

Such as? Or were you planning to grow them on trees.

PastorMikH
08-23-2008, 09:43 PM

I remember when Ryan Leaf was looking pretty decent in his rookie season until we played SD. The dude was never the same after that game. He's probably still hearing footsteps.

I'd hate to see Brodie get to the point where he's constantly worrying about being hit. He's probably not far from that now honestly.

KCJohnny
08-23-2008, 09:58 PM
a couple of FA's to help. I've said this before. We have the cash and they commit to Brodie but they don't spend any and give him a shit O-line to work with. LJ can move the chains but they give him cash and a shit O-line.

I understand the youth movement but the one glaring need we had was O-line. and we did nothing.

Well Tuck, if you were around in the off seson you know I was hoping we'd get Fanseca from the Stillers.

ChiefsCountry
08-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Well you do realize we havent played a preseason game with our expected OL right now? I think Albert will make a big difference.

KCJohnny
08-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Well you do realize we havent played a preseason game with our expected OL right now? I think Albert will make a big difference.

He's got the talent, but has almost no experience at OLT and has missed most of camp. He'll be OK by week 10 or so when we are about 2-7.

Toad
08-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Remember the Herm claims they were going to go hard after Jake Scott before the Saints signed him after the FA clock struck midnight. Herm implied that the Saints were illegally speaking with him before FA started, then retracted his comments.

Frankie
08-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Such as? Or were you planning to grow them on trees.

I see no reason why LeCharles Bently should not be brought in for a look. His knees may or may not be shot. But if he signs with Denver and plays well, I'll blame somebody with the Chiefs.

Frankie
08-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Remember the Herm claims they were going to go hard after Jake Scott before the Saints signed him after the FA clock struck midnight. Herm implied that the Saints were illegally speaking with him before FA started, then retracted his comments.

I'm curious. How's that guy doing?

ChiefsCountry
08-23-2008, 10:38 PM

You mean Jeff Faine who signed with the Bucs. Scott signed with Titans.

Toad
08-23-2008, 11:05 PM
You mean Jeff Faine who signed with the Bucs. Scott signed with Titans.

Thanks and sorry. I meant Jake Scott who signed with the Titans.

ChiefsCountry
08-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks and sorry. I meant Jake Scott who signed with the Titans.

Scott would have been a poor fit in all honsety. I was pushing for him early but the more research I did on him, the less I was impressed.

Ugly Duck
08-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Maybe you can find the stud FA tackles you would have liked to pick up? There are very few and there are rarely any available, there may have been some this year, but really, I can't remember any.

If there were any good ones out there, Al Davis would have thrown piles of dough at them. Instead, he had to settle for thowing dough at Kwame Freakin Harris. Mighty slim pickins in the OL FA market this season...

Rausch
08-23-2008, 11:10 PM
There's this one former Steeler I was really pining for but apparently we needed the money for.......um..........that.......something.

FAX
08-23-2008, 11:13 PM

I would like to believe that, Mr. ChiefsCountry. Sincerely and completely. But right now, my confidence in our coaching staff is, once again, on the wane. They can tell us that Albert will make the difference, but will it? It isn't his traditional position, after all. We have to wait and see. Meanwhile, no one should doubt Croyle's courage after going under center behind this crew. And, I don't worry about the prospect of Croyle going full blown gun shy after his willingness to line up behind that passle of dumbasses we called a line last year.

FAX

Toad
08-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Scott would have been a poor fit in all honsety. I was pushing for him early but the more research I did on him, the less I was impressed.

Perhaps you are right, but we needed a guard badly and he was one of few quality guards available in FA. I was trying to illustrate that we were going to try and fill the gaping hole at guard according to Herm.

Rausch
08-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Solid reasons for not signing Faneca considering the cap room and need startiiiiiinnnng...NOW!

ChiefsCountry
08-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Fancea's problem was his age. Besides this isnt a one year rebuild, it will take two to three to fill the holes. 2010 is the year to look forward to.

JASONSAUTO
08-23-2008, 11:39 PM
no soild reason for not signing faneca, maybe we could look at bentley.....
oooops thats wrong sorry

TEX
08-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Fancea's problem was his age. Besides this isnt a one year rebuild, it will take two to three to fill the holes. 2010 is the year to look forward to.

Or longer with the wrong people in charge of the rebuild...:shake:

Rausch
08-23-2008, 11:51 PM

If the QB we plan to rebuild around get's beat retarded that kinda' hampers the rebuild...

ChiefsCountry
08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Or longer with the wrong people in charge of the rebuild...:shake:

Not really. We are either going to be really good with Herm then or some new coach will walk into a gold mine ala Marty in 1989.

JASONSAUTO
08-24-2008, 12:53 AM
marty had a gold mine?
then why did he coach so long

DaneMcCloud
08-24-2008, 01:17 AM

This is going to be a GREAT year :rolleyes:

The Chiefs are REBUILDING. That doesn't mean that they fill every hole with veteran, as they have in the past 15 years.

It means that they draft and scout and find young players to develop.

Will some develop more slowly than others? Abso-****ing-lutely. Will some guys look like Pro-Bowlers one week only to look like rejects the next? Hell yes.

The bottom line is that this team needs to be built from the ground up. And what that means is drafting, developing, signing undrafted free-agents and building continuity and consistency.

Will that happen in one offseason?

NO ****ING WAY.

So sit back, order your pizza, drink your 12 pack and watch the Chiefs lose.

It's gonna be a while before they win. But if they do it right, it'll be like 1967-1972.

Instead of 1989 to 2008.

milkman
08-24-2008, 07:55 AM
I would like to believe that, Mr. ChiefsCountry. Sincerely and completely. But right now, my confidence in our coaching staff is, once again, on the wane. They can tell us that Albert will make the difference, but will it? It isn't his traditional position, after all. We have to wait and see. Meanwhile, no one should doubt Croyle's courage after going under center behind this crew. And, I don't worry about the prospect of Croyle going full blown gun shy after his willingness to line up behind that passle of dumbasses we called a line last year.

FAX

If I hadn't seen Albert's potential as LT well before the draft, I probably would have some concern there as well.

Here's the thing.

Herb Taylor has, overall, done a really nice job while Albert is out, but we've gotten to see a couple of limitations that have him better suited to be just a back up at the position.

He's not lead footed, but he doesn't really have the quick feet you'd like to see from LT, and his arm length isn't enough to compensate when he bites on a move, and is slightly out of position to get a good block.

Mayock described Albert's feet by saying he has "Dancer's feet", an extremely apt description.

He (Albert) also had the longest arms in this O-Line draft class outside of Clady, and because of that reach, even when he bites on a move like Taylor did last night on the sack he gave up, Albert can still get his hands on the DE and redirect him.

Getting Albert back will free up Taylor to move into the RT spot.
Hopefully the Chiefs will see this move will be necessary to improve the overall play of this line.

KCJohnny
08-24-2008, 08:01 AM
There's this one former Steeler I was really pining for but apparently we needed the money for.......um..........that.......something.

Fanseca/Faneca (sp). I think he was 30. The fact is the psyche of 2 very young QBs is on the line, not just a season or two where we are trying to win 9-11 games. People much smarter than me have made the case that once your young QB gets whacked too many times something goes on in the brain to try and mitigate that harsh punishment. SEE: David Carr.

Maybe Faneca would not have given 4 quality years - maybe he would have. Roaf, Shields and Slater all cotinued to plow DLs well into their 30s. Old timers will also remember Washington's Hogs, part of the infamous "over the hill gang" that won a SB.

A FA might have provided just enough wisdom/experience/lockerroom leadership to keep the kids steady and the QB from developing PTSD.

milkman
08-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Fanseca/Faneca (sp). I think he was 30. The fact is the psyche of 2 very young QBs is on the line, not just a season or two where we are trying to win 9-11 games. People much smarter than me have made the case that once your young QB gets whacked too many times something goes on in the brain to try and mitigate that harsh punishment. SEE: David Carr.

Maybe Faneca would not have given 4 quality years - maybe he would have. Roaf, Shields and Slater all cotinued to plow DLs well into their 30s. Old timers will also remember Washington's Hogs, part of the infamous "over the hill gang" that won a SB.

A FA might have provided just enough wisdom/experience/lockerroom leadership to keep the kids steady and the QB from developing PTSD.

The Hogs weren't part of the "Over the Hill gang".

The Over the Hill Gang was George Allen's Redskins that lost to the Dolphins in SB VII.

And David Carr was as much of the problem in Houston as the O-Line.

There was a QB that did actually hold onto the ball fro far too long.