PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain/Powell 2008

recxjake
08-23-2008, 08:15 PM

tiptap
08-23-2008, 08:20 PM
I would love Powell in the race. You bring Bush's administration front and center.

bango
08-23-2008, 08:25 PM
I think that McCain is going to pick Hillary Clinton.

tiptap
08-23-2008, 08:27 PM
This is the difference between thinking the man is competent to be President and what politically he would bring to the race. And I am talking about evaluation by me. And to think you can project national opinion from this site is really a crazy thought.

irishjayhawk
08-23-2008, 08:32 PM
The libs were loving Powell for Obama a few weeks ago....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=186420&highlight=obama%2Fpowell

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=186669&highlight=obama%2Fpowell

Quoting Jaz....

The comments toward Powell have largely been tempered as comments about bad judgement. I lost a lot of respect for him in that situation, but my opinion was that had Powell been President himself, he wouldn't have gone into war with Iraq. He was trying he best to be the voice of reason in a completely crazy administration. His version of the UN speech (as bad as it was) was 100x better than the one they gave him to deliver. He tried to do the best with what he had to work with. He was caught in that situation where he had to decide: can I do more from inside or by resigning in protest.

I think he made the wrong call on that, obviously. But I think as President, he might be the best person out there for the job.

To be fair, it makes a difference in appearance to the public depending on which side he would be nominated. On the Republicans, it would bring the Bush administration front and center. For the Democrats, people would see it as a second chance of sorts, for someone who, before Bush, was well respected.

HolmeZz
08-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Powell wouldn't do it. He likes Barack a lot(still might endorse him) and he's not going to want to get in his way.

Try again.

Donger
08-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Thune, Thune and Thune.

bango
08-23-2008, 08:40 PM
He should pick Rudy to be his running mate.

Logical
08-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Thune, Thune and Thune.I doubt it because like me most of America would say....who?:doh!:

Logical
08-23-2008, 08:58 PM
That's not really a bad thing when its the guy that beat the Senate Minority leader...Doesn't that make him too inexperienced, just like Obama?:p

irishjayhawk
08-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Powell would be a powerful choice… this is really interesting that McCain is/was thinking about offering the spot to him. That would make for a pretty unbeatable ticket. If there’s a single pro-choicer who would be at all feasible, it’d be Powell because no one really cares what his stance on abortion is, and no one really believes he’d want to get involved in the argument. Powell appears to be above the fray when it comes to politics-as-usual, and he would make Biden, the stereotypical Washington insider politico, seem very, very, very small.

I hope you will notice that the exact reverse is visible on the Presidential side.

DaKCMan AP
08-23-2008, 09:04 PM
For someone who's wrong all the time at some point you should just STFU.

dirk digler
08-23-2008, 09:06 PM
I think Powell would be a strong VP for anyone.

I am curious if Powell knows anything about this since his people have stated he is going to endorse Obama.

Logical
08-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Too quote you ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

You do realize last week they were talking about Powell on the Obama ticket or at least showing up to endorse Obama.

bango
08-23-2008, 09:08 PM
McPow. It does have a nice ring to it.

dirk digler
08-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Both McCain and Obama had private meetings with him this summer..... ]

This could be another head fake... 6 days till we find out....

That is what I was thinking. I think McCain is just trying to keep his name in the news

DaKCMan AP
08-23-2008, 09:10 PM
McPow. It does have a nice ring to it.

Colin POWell... McCain was a POW.. OMFG!#*@!!@!#*(!@)!@(

bango
08-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Colin POWell... McCain was a POW.. OMFG!#*@!!@!#*(!@)!@(

It may be a sign.

DaKCMan AP
08-23-2008, 09:28 PM
The best thing about Powell is he would bring a sense of calmness to this race. I'd assume voters would feel safe with him in the White House. He would be a huge draw for Independents.

Yes, Colin Powell makes America safe. He would never ever ever ever ever ever go to the UN and get us into a war based upon false pretenses.

beer bacon
08-23-2008, 09:30 PM
The best thing about Powell is he would bring a sense of calmness to this race. I'd assume voters would feel safe with him in the White House. He would be a huge draw for Independents.

In the case of McCain, it would also cement in the minds of most Americans that his candidacy is a continuation of Bush/Cheney/Rove.

dirk digler
08-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I know you mentioned his stance on abortion but I would think the christian right would have a huge problem with Powell being pro-choice. Ridge is pro-choice and they whined about him why wouldn't they do the same to Powell?

BucEyedPea
08-23-2008, 09:35 PM
I know you mentioned his stance on abortion but I would think the conservative right would have a huge problem with Powell being pro-choice. Ridge is pro-choice and they whined about him why wouldn't they do the same to Powell?

They not only think that, but overall Powell is considered more liberal to them. I think that. It solidifies to me that the GOP is moving hopelessly more left overall. Even if he's a good guy, which I think he is.

jAZ
08-23-2008, 09:36 PM
That would be like a kick in the nuts, but help McCain a lot.

Never gonna happen.

Just an attempt by McCain's camp to grab a headline.

dirk digler
08-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Because Powell is a national hero, and most conservatives truly like Powell.... he's an above the fray type of person. I think McCain's camp brought out Lieberman and Ridge to get the worst case scenario out there... then pull back with an acceptable person.

I could be wrong but it just appears the christian right only care if the person is pro-life. If the person is pro-choice they are going to whine and bitch.

just my .02 cents.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I could be wrong but it just appears the christian right only care if the person is pro-life. If the person is pro-choice they are going to whine and bitch.

just my .02 cents.

I know plenty of them and abortion is an absolute deal breaker for many of them. There are probably a few that could budge. But Powell is not conservative even outside of the abortion issues. So I don't think it will help him there.

dirk digler
08-23-2008, 09:44 PM
They not only think that, but overall Powell is considered more liberal to them. I think that. It solidifies to me that the GOP is moving hopelessly more left overall. Even if he's a good guy, which I think he is.

Powell is a good guy and would make a very good POTUS or VP.

This would be a huge coup for McCain but I am not counting on it since they leaked his name so early.

dirk digler
08-23-2008, 09:46 PM
I know plenty of them and abortion is an absolute deal breaker for many of them. There are probably a few that could budge. But Powell is not conservative even outside of the abortion issues. So I don't think it will help him there.

Yep and I don't quite get that from either side. It is not like the POTUS has any control over abortion EXCEPT to appoint Supreme Court Justices

jAZ
08-23-2008, 09:47 PM
It's not a question of whether McCain would do it or the Cristian Right would go along with it. It's a question of whether Powell would do it and go along with it.

He won't, IMO. And that's the end of this story.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Powell is a good guy and would make a very good POTUS or VP.

This would be a huge coup for McCain but I am not counting on it since they leaked his name so early.

IMO you say that because you already lean liberal...so it's a coup.
I'm tellin' ya' I know a lot of conservatives that aren't crazy about Powell.
Powell would just help with moderates.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Yep and I don't quite get that from either side. It is not like the POTUS has any control over abortion EXCEPT to appoint Supreme Court Justices

Plus that's not the most pressing issue with current situations facing this country right now. I don't think most people, except for certain one-issue voters ( abortion), are really focused on that right now. It's their own hides.

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I know plenty of them and abortion is an absolute deal breaker for many of them.

Which is incredibly ironic because most Republicans bitch about higher taxes and socials services.

So it goes from "You CAN'T kill unborn fetuses!" to "It's not my baby - I don't give a ****".

BucEyedPea
08-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Which is incredibly ironic because most Republicans bitch about higher taxes and socials services.

So it goes from "You CAN'T kill unborn fetuses!" to "It's not my baby - I don't give a ****".

No, they many of them will adopt that baby or help to see that it is placed in a loving home. Many of them donate both time and money to homes for unwed mothers to help them through that time and find homes for the babies. In fact there are whole groups that are dedicated to taking babies with Down Syndrome. Religious conservatives may be against govt social services but they are not against charitable voluntary social services. And they have a track record too.
So they wouldn't take things that far.

jAZ
08-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Conservatives are already resigned to a McCain nominee, the leanings of the VP won't matter much with them, IMO.

BucEyedPea
08-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Conservatives are already resigned to a McCain nominee, the leanings of the VP won't matter much with them, IMO.

Resigned as in willing to vote for him?
Or resigned as in knowing that's who it is but won't vote for him.

In the former, it won't matter. In the latter, it will reinforce their image of McCain being a liberal.And won't help him
regain points with that wing of the party.

DaneMcCloud
08-23-2008, 10:00 PM
No, they many of them will adopt that baby or help to see that it is placed in a loving home. Many of them donate both time and money to homes for unwed mothers to help them through that time and find homes for the babies. In fact there are whole groups that are dedicated to taking babies with Down Syndrome. Religious conservatives may be against govt social services but they are not against charitable voluntary social services. And they have a track record too.
So they wouldn't take things that far.

Well, I can tell you that's not my experience.

And there millions of people out there that could care less about an unwanted child, but are Pro-Life. And they don't want their tax money put into social services to help the mothers or families.

dirk digler
08-23-2008, 10:01 PM

It would be a coup because in case you haven't noticed the Independents like me decide the election and he is viewed very favorable by our group.

dirk digler
08-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Plus that's not the most pressing issue with current situations facing this country right now. I don't think most people, except for certain one-issue voters ( abortion), are really focused on that right now. It's their own hides.

I agree but to the christian right that is all they care about.

Do you hear what Tony Perkins said the other day? He was whining that McCain thought about changing the party platform to put exceptions in for rape, incest, or health of the mother. He said if they did that the christian right wouldn't come out and vote for him. They don't care about anything except themselves.

DeezNutz
08-23-2008, 10:04 PM
All this "above the fray" stuff is nonsense. For both sides. Classic car salesmen mentality: "These babies sell themselves!" Or, as Romney said all through the primaries: "We need to get the politicians out of Washington!" As if he weren't a POLITICIAN. Same goes for Obama.

Once you enter the ring; you're in the mud. Wake up.

BaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jAZ
08-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Resigned as in willing to vote for him?
Or resigned as in knowing that's who it is but won't vote for him.

In the former, it won't matter. In the latter, it will reinforce their image of McCain being a liberal.And won't help him
regain points with that wing of the party.

I believe that the largest % of the conservative Republicans will vote for McCain (80-90%). They've already done the legwork to go from hating him to voting for him.

It won't matter who he picks (within reason), IMO. It won't drive them away from him at this point.

HolmeZz
10-19-2008, 09:49 AM

I miss you, Jake.

DeezNutz
10-19-2008, 09:51 AM
All this "above the fray" stuff is nonsense. For both sides. Classic car salesmen mentality: "These babies sell themselves!" Or, as Romney said all through the primaries: "We need to get the politicians out of Washington!" As if he weren't a POLITICIAN. Same goes for Obama.

Once you enter the ring; you're in the mud. Wake up.

BaAaAaAaAaAaAaAaAhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That might be the worst attempt at representing a sheep noise that I've ever seen.