PDA

View Full Version : Elections Did McCain's "Houses" blunder ruin Romney's shot at the VP spot?

jAZ
08-23-2008, 10:59 PM
?

banyon
08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Why? How many houses does Romney have?

jAZ
08-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Why? How many houses does Romney have?

I believe 4, but he's mega-rich in any case. That slip-up by McCain gave the Dems the chance they were looking for to turn McCain's very own "elitist" crap back on him. I have a hard time picturing McCain wanting to double-down on that particular campaign theme.

Logical
08-23-2008, 11:06 PM
My guess is yes, but also because he does not sit all that well with the Religous Right.

Donger
08-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Again, Barack Hussein isn't elitist because he's rich, even though he is.

He's elitist because he looks down on the little people.

Logical
08-23-2008, 11:12 PM

Just keep saying it, someone, somewhere will fall for it.:evil:

irishjayhawk
08-23-2008, 11:41 PM

I still haven't seen you use a quote that defines or exemplifies this "looking down on the little people."

Donger
08-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I still haven't seen you use a quote that defines or exemplifies this "looking down on the little people."

"So itís not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who arenít like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Donger
08-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Just keep saying it, someone, somewhere will fall for it.:evil:

Only those with who haven't sipped (or gulped) the proverbial Kool-Aid, Logical.

irishjayhawk
08-23-2008, 11:53 PM
"So itís not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who arenít like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

Still haven't explained how that is anywhere close to what you want it to mean.

Logical
08-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Only those with who haven't sipped (or gulped) the proverbial Kool-Aid, Logical.There is a ton of kool-aid gulping on both sides.

I liked the Root Beer flavor (and only 5 cents)
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yKY2O4KFmMU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Donger
08-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Still haven't explained how that is anywhere close to what you want it to mean.

If you can't understand why that is condescending and, therefore, elitist, I don't know what to tell you.

irishjayhawk
08-23-2008, 11:55 PM
If you can't understand why that is condescending and, therefore, elitist, I don't know what to tell you.

It seems to me it is an observation of what people do under duress. He didn't say he was above it.

Donger
08-23-2008, 11:58 PM
It seems to me it is an observation of what people do under duress. He didn't say he was above it.

Of course you think that. The man could call you a "useful idiot" and you'd probably agree with him.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Of course you think that. The man could call you a "useful idiot" and you'd probably agree with him.

No. Not everyone blindly agrees with Obama or otherwise berates him constantly.

I just fail to see how that's anywhere close to elitist.

Perhaps, I would concede, if he said something like "We should be above those people who cling to their guns and religion". Merely pointing out that people do is not elitist.

DeezNutz
08-24-2008, 12:01 AM

Earlier derivations of the word "idiot" didn't necessarily have negative connotations, so I can't see how you'd think this is an insult...

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Earlier derivations of the word "idiot" didn't necessarily have negative connotations, so I can't see how you'd think this is an insult...

So I take it you see Obama's statement as elitist? Can you give a better explanation or argument than Donger has?

DeezNutz
08-24-2008, 12:04 AM
So I take it you see Obama's statement as elitist? Can you give a better explanation or argument than Donger has?

What I find troubling about the comment is that he's stereotyping small-town folks. As I said in an earlier thread, this action is interesting from a man who gave a strong speech on race.

The connection should be self-evident.

Donger
08-24-2008, 12:05 AM
No. Not everyone blindly agrees with Obama or otherwise berates him constantly.

I just fail to see how that's anywhere close to elitist.

Perhaps, I would concede, if he said something like "We should be above those people who cling to their guns and religion". Merely pointing out that people do is not elitist.

Ah, I see your failure now. You don't recognize that pointing out a potential truth can also be elitist; they aren't mutually-exclusive.

Barack Hussein may well have been correct in his assessment, but that doesn't make it any less elitist.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:06 AM
What I find troubling about the comment is that he's stereotyping small-town folks. As I said in an earlier thread, this action is interesting from a man who gave a strong speech on race.

Stereotyping is different than being an elitist.

Logical
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
What no props for my ancient Kool-Aid commercial?:spock:

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Ah, I see your failure now. You don't recognize that pointing out a potential truth can also be elitist; they aren't mutually-exclusive.

Barack Hussein may well have been correct in his assessment, but that doesn't make it any less elitist.

You have yet to make a case for it's elitist qualities. All you keep doing is saying it's elitist.

Maybe that's your second weapon to your schtick. Semantics and repetition. Both without any arguments behind them.

DeezNutz
08-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Stereotyping is different than being an elitist.

Of course. Didn't call him an elitist, merely pointed out why his comment is disconcerting. Figured it was clear I took the conversation in a slightly different direction. No need to point out the obvious, I would think.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Of course. Didn't call him an elitist, merely pointed out why his comment is disconcerting.

Okay, well then we agree. I would concede that the quotation, especially out of context, can be disconcerting. Politically, speaking, of course. (Personally, I think it's true.)

It is not elitist.

DeezNutz
08-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Okay, well then we agree. I would concede that the quotation, especially out of context, can be disconcerting.

It is not elitist.

I didn't take it out of context, though. I've cited it in its longer form on two separate occassions. Obama alludes to "many small towns" and then proceeds into the "bitter" part. As we all know, qualifying a statement does not a stereotype avoid.

Donger
08-24-2008, 12:10 AM
You have yet to make a case for it's elitist qualities. All you keep doing is saying it's elitist.

Maybe that's your second weapon to your schtick. Semantics and repetition. Both without any arguments behind them.

I have. You chose to ignore it.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I didn't take it out of context, though. I've cited it in its longer form on two separate occassions. Obama alludes to "many small towns" and then proceeds into the "bitter" part. As we all know, qualifying a statement does not a stereotype avoid.

I realize that. However, Donger always quotes it out of context and somehow construes it as elitist.

I have not found his argument although he repeatedly claims he has stated it.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
I have. You chose to ignore it.

Post number, please.

Donger
08-24-2008, 12:22 AM
I realize that. However, Donger always quotes it out of context and somehow construes it as elitist.

I have not found his argument although he repeatedly claims he has stated it.

Your not "finding" my argument is not equivalent to my not making it. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine.

You seem to have issues with that.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Your not "finding" my argument is not equivalent to my not making it. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine.

You seem to have issues with that.

Clearly, you have nothing.

splatbass
08-24-2008, 12:26 AM

BULL. He spent years working as a community organizer helping poor people. You are being dishonest here.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:27 AM

By the way, your statement of Donger being the DC's Demonpenz was spot on, I think.

splatbass
08-24-2008, 12:28 AM

I grew up one of those small town people, in rural Missouri. He had it right. Sorry to say but it is true.

jAZ
08-24-2008, 09:12 AM
You don't recognize that pointing out a potential truth can also be elitist; they aren't mutually-exclusive.

Donger: "Reality = elitist".

NCarlsCorner2
08-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I believe 4, but he's mega-rich in any case. That slip-up by McCain gave the Dems the chance they were looking for to turn McCain's very own "elitist" crap back on him. I have a hard time picturing McCain wanting to double-down on that particular campaign theme.

I dont think it was a slip up at all, because it has now backfired on Obama letting McCain talk about how he bought his house opening the door to Rezko a convicted felon.ROFL

banyon
08-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Romney will NOT be VP... and not because of the house deal, but because he and John simply don't get along.

Romney will be an attack dog surrogate, not VP.

Ok, we can call it. This makes it official. Romney is VP.

jAZ
08-24-2008, 10:03 AM
... opening the door to Rezko a convicted felon.ROFL
At least we know you read the McCain campaign talking points, though not with any sort of brainwave activity.

Sure the McCain camp wants the public to believe they weren't going to ever mention Rezko, Wright or Ayers until this. But to pretend like that's anything other than a laughable campaign bluster exposes you and anyone else who willingly claims that as among the dumbest posters in the history of ChiefsPlanet.