PDA

View Full Version : Computers HELP

Dunit35
08-23-2008, 11:34 PM
My D drive is screwed up. I'm not sure how it happened.

It says it is corrupted and unreadable. It was only used for music and my zune. It deleted all my music and zune software.

Is it fixable? My C drive is working fine. It was working the other day and I deleted some songs off my collection and it stopped working after that.

irishjayhawk
08-23-2008, 11:44 PM
You can try hooking it up to another system to see if it will work but most likely it's a hard drive failure.

At the very least, you'll have to reformat. At the very worst, you'll have to discard the drive entirely.

At least that's what I can put forth based on the description.

Dunit35
08-23-2008, 11:48 PM
You can try hooking it up to another system to see if it will work but most likely it's a hard drive failure.

At the very least, you'll have to reformat. At the very worst, you'll have to discard the drive entirely.

At least that's what I can put forth based on the description.

I started reformating earlier. What do you think caused it? My laptop is around three years old now.

irishjayhawk
08-23-2008, 11:54 PM
I started reformating earlier. What do you think caused it? My laptop is around three years old now.

No idea. Could have been anything in the world. Could have been a file that went haywire, could have been Windows just going schitzo, could have been partially hardware, who knows.

Dunit35
08-23-2008, 11:56 PM
No idea. Could have been anything in the world. Could have been a file that went haywire, could have been Windows just going schitzo, could have been partially hardware, who knows.

Ah, well I guess if reformatting it doesn't fix it I still have my C drive. It just means I lost 17.2 Gb's of space.

Dunit35
08-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Oh, what about a virus? my temporary internet files go to the C drive though...I think.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Oh, what about a virus? my temporary internet files go to the C drive though...I think.

Could have been, but I doubt it would just take out a music harddrive. You should probably scan anyway.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Could have been, but I doubt it would just take out a music harddrive. You should probably scan anyway.

Yeah, my C drive is scanning now. My virus protector wasn't showing any viruses before I started scanning. I will go in to safe mode before I go to work in the morning and give it a better scan.

My laptop can still function if my d drive is screwed or will it start damaging other drives and files?

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah, my C drive is scanning now. My virus protector wasn't showing any viruses before I started scanning. I will go in to safe mode before I go to work in the morning and give it a better scan.

My laptop can still function if my d drive is screwed or will it start damaging other drives and files?

How old is the drive in question? I mean a 20gb drive seems like it would be pretty old.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
How old is the drive in question? I mean a 20gb drive seems like it would be pretty old.

I got the laptop in 2005 for school. It's an acer.

irishjayhawk
08-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I got the laptop in 2005 for school. It's an acer.

Not that old. Doesn't mean it can't happen but it definitely shouldn't have.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Not that old. Doesn't mean it can't happen but it definitely shouldn't have.

Hopefully this fixes it. I'm going to be pissed if I have to buy a new laptop with my fin aid money...wanted to put it in savings.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 12:46 AM
It finished formatting. Before it wouldn't open the drive and was reading no space.

Now it's opening and reading 17.2 gb of space. I haven't saved anything to it yet.