PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Zune Software

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
My d drive crapped last night so I reformatted it and that fixed the drive. But there weren't any files in my d drive besides music.

Before I reformatted that drive my zune software wasn't working. I figured it was because that drive failed. Now when I try to install zune it won't install it. I load the software with the cd and it checks for updates it updates the software but then says it couldn't find the file d:\zune\zune.exe. or something a long those lines. So it won't install it. Why does that matter? There shouldn't be any files involving zune on there since I uninstalled it.

What could be the problem? My cd looks rather clean (a couple small scratches/ nothing looks bad) My cd wasn't in my computer when my computers d drive crapped.

Guru
08-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Try downloading the latest software from the website.

ChiefsLV
08-24-2008, 08:58 PM

What he said. But you may have hard drive failure...

You might want run a surface scan of the drive by opening up a command prompt window and typing chkdsk /r d:

If the scan discovers bad sectors, it's a sure sign your hard drive is nearing the end.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 09:32 PM

That's what a buddy said as well. I'm getting ready to try that route...if that doesn't work my step mom is coming on wednesday to check my computer.

Before then I'll prob call microsoft and talk to tech support.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 09:35 PM
What he said. But you may have hard drive failure...

You might want run a surface scan of the drive by opening up a command prompt window and typing chkdsk /r d:

If the scan discovers bad sectors, it's a sure sign your hard drive is nearing the end.

I tried what you said but that command came up invalid.

I tried: chkdsk /r d:
chkdsk worked but I'm guessing it checked the c drive? That didn't show up with anything wrong.

I also tried chkdsk/d but that didn't work.

ChiefsLV
08-24-2008, 09:43 PM
I tried what you said but that command came up invalid.

I tried: chkdsk /r d:
chkdsk worked but I'm guessing it checked the c drive? That didn't show up with anything wrong.

I also tried chkdsk/d but that didn't work.

My bad, use: chkdsk d: /r

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I downloaded the software from zune.net and its still not working. It says the latest software is already on my computer yet its actually not.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
My bad, use: chkdsk d: /r

heres what it says

chkdisk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume y/n?

I have other tabs going. Do I need to get out of those?

ChiefsLV
08-24-2008, 10:24 PM
heres what it says

chkdisk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume y/n?

I have other tabs going. Do I need to get out of those?

Choose N for that one. Then when it asks you if you want to check on the next reboot, enter Y. Then reboot and let it scan.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Choose N for that one. Then when it asks you if you want to check on the next reboot, enter Y. Then reboot and let it scan.

Alright, I'll reboot it real quick and see.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 10:45 PM

It didn't show anything that was damaged. It said everything was completed and ok.

ChiefsLV
08-24-2008, 10:52 PM
It didn't show anything that was damaged. It said everything was completed and ok.

So did you try downloading the updated software?

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=7313338

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 11:01 PM
So did you try downloading the updated software?

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=7313338

Yeah, I'm not a computer genious at all so I have no idea why it wouldn't install the software.

It said the lastest version of zune is already installed...yet it actually isn't installed. The software that was already on here before was I guess corrupted and wouldn't open. So I deleted the software and tried installing it again but it won't let me. It just keeps saying it can't find the d: zune/zune/ exe. file or something.

I'll probably call tech support tomorrow.

ChiefsLV
08-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I'm not a computer genious at all so I have no idea why it wouldn't install the software.

It said the lastest version of zune is already installed...yet it actually isn't installed. The software that was already on here before was I guess corrupted and wouldn't open. So I deleted the software and tried installing it again but it won't let me. It just keeps saying it can't find the d: zune/zune/ exe. file or something.

I'll probably call tech support tomorrow.

Yeah, have you tried to uninstall it using Add/Remove programs in the control panel? It may have left some registry entries behind that need to be cleaned up. Good luck with tech support.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah, have you tried to uninstall it using Add/Remove programs in the control panel? It may have left some registry entries behind that need to be cleaned up. Good luck with tech support.

Yeah, it says it's already been uninstalled.

If I do a search to see if there are still zune files on my computer it does show up with quite a few files still. I tried deleting some of them but some wouldn't let me. I'm sure I'll be on the phone with tech support for a couple days.