PDA

View Full Version : Economics B.O. is in bed with the ethanol industry

***SPRAYER
08-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Mr. Obama is running as a reformer who is seeking to reduce the influence of special interests. But like any other politician, he has powerful constituencies that help shape his views. And when it comes to domestic ethanol, almost all of which is made from corn, he also has advisers and prominent supporters with close ties to the industry at a time when energy policy is a point of sharp contrast between the parties and their presidential candidates.

In the heart of the Corn Belt that August day, Mr. Obama argued that embracing ethanol “ultimately helps our national security, because right now we’re sending billions of dollars to some of the most hostile nations on earth.” America’s oil dependence, he added, “makes it more difficult for us to shape a foreign policy that is intelligent and is creating security for the long term.”

Nowadays, when Mr. Obama travels in farm country, he is sometimes accompanied by his friend Tom Daschle, the former Senate majority leader from South Dakota. Mr. Daschle now serves on the boards of three ethanol companies and works at a Washington law firm where, according to his online job description, “he spends a substantial amount of time providing strategic and policy advice to clients in renewable energy.”

Mr. Obama’s lead advisor on energy and environmental issues, Jason Grumet, came to the campaign from the National Commission on Energy Policy, a bipartisan initiative associated with Mr. Daschle and Bob Dole, the Kansas Republican who is also a former Senate majority leader and a big ethanol backer who had close ties to the agribusiness giant Archer Daniels Midland.

Not long after arriving in the Senate, Mr. Obama himself briefly provoked a controversy by flying at subsidized rates on corporate airplanes, including twice on jets owned by Archer Daniels Midland, which is the nation’s largest ethanol producer and is based in his home state.

Jason Furman, the Obama campaign’s economic policy director, said Mr. Obama’s stance on ethanol was based on its merits. “That is what has always motivated him on this issue, and will continue to determine his policy going forward,” Mr. Furman said.

Asked if Mr. Obama brought any predisposition or bias to the ethanol debate because he represents a corn-growing state that stands to benefit from a boom, Mr. Furman said, “He wants to represent the United States of America, and his policies are based on what’s best for the country.”

Mr. Daschle, a national co-chairman of the Obama campaign, said in a telephone interview on Friday that his role advising the Obama campaign on energy matters was limited. He said he was not a lobbyist for ethanol companies, but did speak publicly about renewable energy options and worked “with a number of associations and groups to orchestrate and coordinate their activities,” including the Governors’ Ethanol Coalition.

Of Mr. Obama, Mr. Daschle said, “He has a terrific policy staff and relies primarily on those key people to advise him on key issues, whether energy or climate change or other things.”

Ethanol is one area in which Mr. Obama strongly disagrees with his Republican opponent, Senator John McCain of Arizona. While both presidential candidates emphasize the need for the United States to achieve “energy security” while also slowing down the carbon emissions that are believed to contribute to global warming, they offer sharply different visions of the role that ethanol, which can be made from a variety of organic materials, should play in those efforts.

Mr. McCain advocates eliminating the multibillion-dollar annual government subsidies that domestic ethanol has long enjoyed. As a free trade advocate, he also opposes the 54-cent-a-gallon tariff that the United States slaps on imports of ethanol made from sugar cane, which packs more of an energy punch than corn-based ethanol and is cheaper to produce.

“We made a series of mistakes by not adopting a sustainable energy policy, one of which is the subsidies for corn ethanol, which I warned in Iowa were going to destroy the market” and contribute to inflation, Mr. McCain said this month in an interview with a Brazilian newspaper, O Estado de São Paulo. “Besides, it is wrong,” he added, to tax Brazilian-made sugar cane ethanol, “which is much more efficient than corn ethanol.”

Mr. Obama, in contrast, favors the subsidies, some of which end up in the hands of the same oil companies he says should be subjected to a windfall profits tax. In the name of helping the United States build “energy independence,” he also supports the tariff, which some economists say may well be illegal under the World Trade Organization’s rules but which his advisers say is not.

Logical
08-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Not sure why that is bad, certainly no worse than Cheney being in the pocket of Big Oil.

banyon
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I'll repost my reply to this, since the OP felt it necessary to post this twice and that it deserved its own thread.:

Nowadays, when Mr. Obama travels in farm country, he is sometimes accompanied by his friend Tom Daschle, the former Senate majority leader from South Dakota. Mr. Daschle now serves on the boards of three ethanol companies and works at a Washington law firm where, according to his online job description, “he spends a substantial amount of time providing strategic and policy advice to clients in renewable energy.”

Mr. Obama’s lead advisor on energy and environmental issues, Jason Grumet, came to the campaign from the National Commission on Energy Policy, a bipartisan initiative associated with Mr. Daschle and Bob Dole, the Kansas Republican who is also a former Senate majority leader and a big ethanol backer who had close ties to the agribusiness giant Archer Daniels Midland.

To summarize: 1) Obama has been seen with a guy who is on the board of ethanol companies, but who has no role in his campaign. 2) Obama's lead energy advisor was on a bipartisan board that included Bob Dole who used to have ties to ADM.

So, now, everyone who has been in the same room with Bob Dole or talked to him is deep in the pocket of Ethanol! John McCain, John Stewart, all of us. Hell, I live just 100 miles from his hometown, I'm probably deep in the hip pocket of ADM too!

bango
08-24-2008, 07:05 PM
When you say in bed you do not mean anything sexual do you?

***SPRAYER
08-24-2008, 07:10 PM
When you say in bed you do not mean anything sexual do you?

I cannot answer that question with any amount of certainty. Ask Larry Sinclair.

bango
08-24-2008, 07:11 PM
I hate big corn.

Yet you like big oil. If they merged would you consider a change of heart for Big Corn Oil?

***SPRAYER
08-24-2008, 07:13 PM
You moonbats love to post links to his website so much, I'm surprised you didn't respond with this:

http://obama.senate.gov/news/050315-obama_pushes_for_increased_eth/

bango
08-24-2008, 07:16 PM
You moonbats love to post links to his website so much, I'm surprised you didn't respond with this:

I do not support him. I am a crackpot not a moonbat. Get it right.

banyon
08-24-2008, 07:20 PM

His consistent position has been that everything should be considered and, if viable, part of the energy mix used to supplant oil. So yes, he supports some biofuel investment, but it's only a component. The larger components would likely be wind, nuclear, clean coal, natural gas.

None of this, of course, puts him "in the hip pocket of ethanol".

WilliamTheIrish
08-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Once you go ethanol, you never go back.

bango
08-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Once you go ethanol, you never go back.

Word

BigMeatballDave
08-24-2008, 08:39 PM
I don't care about this. My problem with ethanol production is that they should be using something other than corn to produce it.

RaiderH8r
08-25-2008, 10:14 AM
His consistent position has been that everything should be considered and, if viable, part of the energy mix used to supplant oil. So yes, he supports some biofuel investment, but it's only a component. The larger components would likely be wind, nuclear, clean coal, natural gas.

None of this, of course, puts him "in the hip pocket of ethanol".

Which begs the question, where does Barry stand on the removal of tarriffs on South American ethanol? His senior Senator (Durbin) is steadfastly against it. Does Obama share his senior Senator's position?

Garcia Bronco
08-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Ethanol 85 is an effing terrible biomass. We need to use switch grass of hemp. The only good thing about ethanol is it's less polluting than gas, but less efficent, it takes 5 gallons of water to create one gallon of it, and on it's current infrastructure costs more than gas. Please put a stop to this.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Ethanol is an effing terrible biomass. We need to use switch grass of hemp. The only good thing about ethanol is it's less polluting than gas, but less efficent, it takes 5 gallons of water to create one gallon of it, and on it's current infrastructure costs more than gas. Please put a stop to this.

okay done

no more ethanol
:D

Garcia Bronco
08-25-2008, 10:21 AM
okay done

no more ethanol
:D

:)

banyon
08-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Ethanol 85 is an effing terrible biomass. We need to use switch grass of hemp. The only good thing about ethanol is it's less polluting than gas, but less efficent, it takes 5 gallons of water to create one gallon of it, and on it's current infrastructure costs more than gas. Please put a stop to this.

Switch grass and hemp would be ethanol too, right?

Garcia Bronco
08-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Switch grass and hemp would be ethanol too, right?

Yes, but it was pretty clear that I was talking about corn based ethanol.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 10:52 AM

I agree with you wholeheartedly. We need to move to a non food source of ethanol. The way it's going everything is gonna be too expensive soon.

banyon
08-25-2008, 10:57 AM

Just wanted to point out that R&D into the non-corn based ethanol is part of Obama's energy plan.

But you are right.

Garcia Bronco
08-25-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly. We need to move to a non food source of ethanol. The way it's going everything is gonna be too expensive soon.

I can understand increased cost two years ago, but we should have more than matched production for corn. It's Big Corn (LOL) taking advantage of the situation.

BigOlChiefsfan
08-25-2008, 01:37 PM
According to Speaker of the House, Madame 'Rocket Science' Pelosi, we can all move from fossil fuels to natural gas.

REP. PELOSI: I’m, I’m, I’m investing in something I believe in. I believe in natural gas as a clean, cheap alternative to fossil fuels.

MR. BROKAW: But you’re also in a position to influence where the emphasis will be in where we’re moving.

REP. PELOSI: Well, that’s not–that is, that is the marketplace. The fact is, the supply of natural gas is so big, and you do need a transition if you’re going to go from fossil fuels, as you say, you can’t do it overnight, but you must transition. These investments in wind, in solar and biofuels and focus on natural gas, these are the real alternatives…

If one of you could stop by Ms. Pelosi's desk and let her know that natural gas IS a freaking fossil fuel, that would be swell. Be prepared to explain it to her a few times. Bring a lunch.

Back to ethanol. Cut the existing ethanol subsidy. Without the $.60/gallon subsidy we can import Brazilian, which they're making cheaper using their sugarcane waste than we can make it using corn. Switch to switch grass and get with the program. Corn is for bourbon, moocows and piggywigs. Non-food ethanol gets a thumbs up.

Bowser
08-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Better than being in bed with the methane industry. HEEEY-OOOOOHH!!

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Lets turn food into fuel.

Friendo
08-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Lets turn food into fuel.

http://www.brainphysics.com/medications.php

***SPRAYER
10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Obama loves ethanol. He loves it so much that his energy plan would outlaw new cars that can't run on high-ethanol blends.

Mr. Laz
10-25-2008, 08:49 PM
i was pleasantly surprised when McCain said ethanol was a crock of shit.

i wish Obama would of as well

Howlin Wolf
10-26-2008, 12:09 AM
somebody google up how much fossil fuel it takes to produce a gallon of ethanol.

***SPRAYER
10-26-2008, 07:26 AM
somebody google up how much fossil fuel it takes to produce a gallon of ethanol.

It doesn't matter, the "reformer" needs Iowa's electoral votes, who cares if people in the third world starve to death.

Baby Lee
10-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Where TF is the algae biofuel revolution?

Bowser
10-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Obama loves ethanol. He loves it so much that his energy plan would outlaw new cars that can't run on high-ethanol blends.

Is that before or after he takes away all of our guns and makes all women in the US have abortions the first time they're pregnant?

Zebedee DuBois
10-26-2008, 09:53 AM
I hate big corn.

I've been fooled by hominy as well.

banyon
10-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I've been fooled by hominy as well.

That mexicorn is all right though.

***SPRAYER
10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Bad for the economy, bad for the consumers, bad for the planet-- whats not to love?

-Paul Krugman

banyon
10-26-2008, 10:32 AM
BTW saying Corn Ethanol is not a viable fuel source now is not the same as saying it can never possibly be a viable fuel source.

For now though, I prefer greatly the non-food based sources.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2008, 10:34 AM
It doesn't matter, the "reformer" needs Iowa's electoral votes, who cares if people in the third world starve to death.
i bet you didn't have this stance 4 years ago, 8 years ago wheh GEORGE W. BUSH was in bed with ethanol.

***SPRAYER
10-26-2008, 10:35 AM
i bet you didn't have this stance 4 years ago, 8 years ago wheh GEORGE W. BUSH was in bed with ethanol.

I don't remember anything from 4 years ago.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't remember anything from 4 years ago.
how convenient for you

bottom line is that every president for the last 20 years has taken the "ethanol oath"

you're just trying to make it out to be "evil" now because it suits your spamming purposes.

***SPRAYER
10-26-2008, 10:49 AM
how convenient for you

bottom line is that every president for the last 20 years has taken the "ethanol oath"

you're just trying to make it out to be "evil" now because it suits your spamming purposes.

B.O. is perfect. He is a reformer. He is the post racial candidate. He is a uniter and a healer.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2008, 10:54 AM
B.O. is perfect. He is a reformer. He is the post racial candidate. He is a uniter and a healer.
way to ignore/deflect the subject of your own thread

***SPRAYER
10-26-2008, 11:35 AM
way to ignore/deflect the subject of your own thread

You mean you disagree with what I said?