PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Has anyone here worked or does anyone work in fast food?

RedNeckRaider
08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Do they train all fast food workers to hand you your change and then while you are trying to put your money away shove your drinks at you? I have learned to just put my money away and then turn around and get my drinks. Just about every time they stand there arms sticking out and when they see I am not pay attention to them they they shut the window and return later with my entire order. I just do not understand why they seem to be driven to hand me my drinks when they can plainly see my hands are full :spock:

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I suppose they're trained to complete the transaction as quickly as possible.

I worked at an Arby's once, as a kid. Lasted one shift. I never even went back to collect that night's pay.

Dunit35
08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
at a drive thru?

I give them their cash money and either wait for them to look before I give them their sodas or just stick my arm out until they are ready to take it.

Count Zarth
08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
What was so terrible about it?

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Usually it seems they give me the drinks when I give them the money, and then they give me the change afterwards.

88TG88
08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Last time I got fast food it was money, change, drinks, and then food etc.

RedNeckRaider
08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
at a drive thru?

I give them their cash money and either wait for them to look before I give them their sodas or just stick my arm out until they are ready to take it.

Yes at the drive thru, it is no big deal and maybe it is a local thing. It is just something that gets on my nerves a bit. I am never rude because I know they are kids and are making shit for wages.......that and I dont want them to spit on my food :D

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
What was so terrible about it?Other than the pitiful pay, constant disrespect, and nasty working conditions... nothing.

It was a part time job, I was 20 and had a full time job that paid about three times as much. (And the working conditions were light years better.)

I worked one shift, and said, "**** this."

CosmicPal
08-24-2008, 10:13 PM
I hate it when the stripper walks away when I ask her if she has change for a dollar. :shrug:

Rain Man
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I worked in fast food for about five years, ending in 1979. I was a cook, so no one ever gave me money and I never gave anyone drinks.

Phobia
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I'd like to work in fast food. I could use a promotion.

blueballs
08-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Drive off with a Sonic tray

RedNeckRaider
08-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Drive off with a Sonic tray

Years ago Sonic trays were great for cleaning seeds out of your weed when rolling joints.....err so I have heard :D

Sure-Oz
08-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Probably try to get your ass out of there or the line will get backed up...never has bothered me. Only thing that does is ****ing up my order or not sealing the tops of the cup all the way

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 10:21 PM
As a side note, I did get another part time job working in retail. It was at "Venture", a Walmart-Target type franchise that went out of business years ago. It was much more enjoyable.

I mean the pay still sucked, but it was clean, and my coworkers were fun. Met one of my ex gf's there. Good times.

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Years ago Sonic trays were great for cleaning seeds out of your weed when rolling joints.....err so I have heard :D

Heh, I...err...I mean some other kids I knew used Godfather's pizza trays.

TinyEvel
08-24-2008, 10:28 PM
haha. Today I was at the Carl's Jr. (Hardee's elsewhere) and I was trying to unwrap my sandwich (couldn't wait) and he was trying to hand the drinks at that time. Then I noticed they had given me a Jalapeno CHICKEN sandwich instead of the Jalapeno BURGER I had ordered. I said, "you gave me jalapeno chicken but I ordered the burger"
They were like, "right, jalapeno chicken"
I said, "but I ordered the burger, but it's okay, I'll just take this chicken."
THey said, "Nah, we'll give you a burger too, wait a sec"
Bt I was like, "No, I don;t want to waste it, and besides the chicken is better for me...I think"

"really? No problem ,we'll get a burger hold on"
And I had to just drive away to keep them from giving me a burger too.

Crazy times these are.

CosmicPal
08-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Heh, I...err...I mean some other kids I knew used Godfather's pizza trays.

Wow...that reminds me, I had a Minskey's tray and a Chi-Chi's tray for my weed.

Of course, most of the time I used an album cover.

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 10:29 PM
I'd like to work in fast food. I could use a promotion.Ugh... it can't possibly be that bad.

Phobia
08-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Ugh... it can't possibly be that bad.

When you're the boss the hours suck. I work about 80 hours a week for chump change. I think the new guy I hired last week might make more money than me this year.

KcMizzou
08-24-2008, 11:09 PM
When you're the boss the hours suck. I work about 80 hours a week for chump change. I think the new guy I hired last week might make more money than me this year.Yeah, from what I understand, that's pretty much what you can expect at the start.

Starting up a new business is a tall hill to climb. From all I've heard, you have to be willing to take it in the shorts for a while.

Best of luck to ya.

Phobia
08-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, from what I understand, that's pretty much what you can expect at the start.

Starting up a new business is a tall hill to climb. From all I've heard, you have to be willing to take it in the shorts for a while.

Best of luck to ya.
Eh - it's getting much better. We're going on our 5th year so it's better than the past 4 but still tough sometimes. It's not like making the big bucks consulting like I used to. Now I have to actually work.

Bugeater
08-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, from what I understand, that's pretty much what you can expect at the start.

Best of luck to ya.
A while? Hell I wish. Try every ****ing day.

Phobia
08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
A while? Hell I wish. Try every ****ing day.

Heh - the economy blows - especially for professional painters. Guess what the first expense that goes when crunch time hits - home maintenance. Nobody is going to cut their beer or cig budget.

That's okay though, pay us now or pay us more later. The longer you wait the more work we'll have to do.

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 12:16 AM
haha. Today I was at the Carl's Jr. (Hardee's elsewhere) and I was trying to unwrap my sandwich (couldn't wait) and he was trying to hand the drinks at that time. Then I noticed they had given me a Jalapeno CHICKEN sandwich instead of the Jalapeno BURGER I had ordered. I said, "you gave me jalapeno chicken but I ordered the burger"
Bt I was like, "No, I don;t want to waste it, and besides the chicken is better for me...I think"

Crazy times these are.

I'm not trying to cause a panic or anything, but I think that story is predicted in Revelations.

FAX
08-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Have you ever ordered a Big Mac (I think that's the one) at a drive thru? Instead of being wrapped in paper, it comes in a styrofoam container box thing with a lid and when you pop open the lid, there's your sandwich lying in a bed of little lettuce shavings and you glance down quickly because you're driving and try to grab your sandwich out of the container but the sandwich kind of flops open and spills out about a hundred and fifty little lettuce shavings but this time they're on your shirt and your lap and you can't decide whether to use your left hand to flip the turn signal or start swatting away those little lettuce shavings and now the container is partially resting against the steering wheel and you've got your right hand on a sonofabitchin' renegade friggin' sandwich and one hand on the friggin' steering wheel and little goddam lettuce shavings all over the goddam place and you wind up steering with your friggin' chin for a mile or so while you wrestle like a fat lady trying on a leotard with a friggin' sandwich and a friggin' turn signal and thousands of goddam lettuce shavings that are multiplying like friggin rabbits while you try and grab them and throw the little bastards back in the container but some of the sonsabitches get friggin' caught up in the friggin' air conditioning vent breeze and friggin' start flying like little green friggin' helicopters into the back seat and you wind up saying f*ck it and throwing the container into the friggin' back seat too and finding a friggin' place to friggin' pull over so you can get out of the friggin' car and shake like a friggin' dog until all the little goddam lettuce shavings are pretty much gone from your shirt but you realize now that some of the little friggin' bastards had been dipped in special sauce and now you smell like a friggin' salad bar and look like you've just been sprayed with thousand island dressing?

That ever happen to anybody?

FAX

Portlantis
08-25-2008, 12:59 AM
I was unlucky enough to have to work at a fast food restaurant for two years during college. It was a Lion's Choice, which is kind of like an Arby's. I worked my way up to assistant manager, mostly because everyone else quit. That was an awful job.

It wasn't working with food that was the problem, though. It was the customers. When you're in a low-level service position, people think they can talk down to you. You get a lot of people who take their frustrations out on you because they know you can't do anything about it. I never quit, though. They ended up closing the store because it was losing money.

The only job I've ever quit was at a company that did telefundraising for "Friends of John Kerry" and other liberal groups. I lasted about 40 minutes before I told my supervisor I couldn't do this anymore and walked out.

Portlantis
08-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Instead of being wrapped in paper, it comes in a styrofoam container box thing with a lid and when you pop open the lid, there's your sandwich lying in a bed of little lettuce shavings and you glance down quickly because you're driving and try to grab your sandwich out of the container but the sandwich kind of flops open and spills out about a hundred and fifty little lettuce shavings but this time they're on your shirt and your lap and you can't decide whether to use your left hand to flip the turn signal or start swatting away those little lettuce shavings and now the container is partially resting against the steering wheel and you've got your right hand on a sonofabitchin' renegade friggin' sandwich and one hand on the friggin' steering wheel and little goddam lettuce shavings all over the goddam place and you wind up steering with your friggin' chin for a mile or so while you wrestle like a fat lady trying on a leotard with a friggin' sandwich and a friggin' turn signal and thousands of goddam lettuce shavings that are multiplying like friggin rabbits while you try and grab them and throw the little bastards back in the container but some of the sonsabitches get friggin' caught up in the friggin' air conditioning vent breeze and friggin' start flying like little green friggin' helicopters into the back seat and you wind up saying f*ck it and throwing the container into the friggin' back seat too and finding a friggin' place to friggin' pull over so you can get out of the friggin' car and shake like a friggin' dog until all the little goddam lettuce shavings are pretty much gone from your shirt but you realize now that some of the little friggin' bastards had been dipped in special sauce and now you smell like a friggin' salad bar and look like you've just been sprayed with thousand island dressing?

Best sentence ever.

luv
08-25-2008, 06:15 AM
I worked at Wendy's during my senior year of high school 14 years ago. I always waited until they were ready before handing them anything. My biggest gripe now is when they're holding the entire order out the window before I even get to it.

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 06:25 AM
When they try to hand me my drink before I am ready I blow cigarette smoke on them.

Demonpenz
08-25-2008, 06:39 AM
They probably focus more time on making sure they use the credit/debit card machine correctly. Most people who use money are older and if they are eating fast food are probably going to die soon. Mine as well take care of the customers that are going to last longer.

DeepSouth
08-25-2008, 06:42 AM
I hear it's a required when graduating from the university of Kansas that you must be able to say "Would you like fries with that?". And, "Would you like to supersize that for 35 cents more?".

leviw
08-25-2008, 07:54 AM
I hear it's a required when graduating from the university of Kansas that you must be able to say "Would you like fries with that?". And, "Would you like to supersize that for 35 cents more?".

1992 would prefer if you didn't use its jokes.

seclark
08-25-2008, 08:04 AM
worked at a dairy queen for a couple years back in high school. mostly cooked and kept soda and ice cream freezers filled up and running.

the pay was shitty, but in winter time it was never too busy. we'd take turns going back to the walk in fridge and huffing the gas out of the whipped cream cans. every week, the owner would bitch at the delivery guy about how the whipped cream was alway runny.
sec

Hydrae
08-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Have you ever ordered a Big Mac (I think that's the one) at a drive thru? Instead of being wrapped in paper, it comes in a styrofoam container box thing with a lid and when you pop open the lid, there's your sandwich lying in a bed of little lettuce shavings and you glance down quickly because you're driving and try to grab your sandwich out of the container but the sandwich kind of flops open and spills out about a hundred and fifty little lettuce shavings but this time they're on your shirt and your lap and you can't decide whether to use your left hand to flip the turn signal or start swatting away those little lettuce shavings and now the container is partially resting against the steering wheel and you've got your right hand on a sonofabitchin' renegade friggin' sandwich and one hand on the friggin' steering wheel and little goddam lettuce shavings all over the goddam place and you wind up steering with your friggin' chin for a mile or so while you wrestle like a fat lady trying on a leotard with a friggin' sandwich and a friggin' turn signal and thousands of goddam lettuce shavings that are multiplying like friggin rabbits while you try and grab them and throw the little bastards back in the container but some of the sonsabitches get friggin' caught up in the friggin' air conditioning vent breeze and friggin' start flying like little green friggin' helicopters into the back seat and you wind up saying f*ck it and throwing the container into the friggin' back seat too and finding a friggin' place to friggin' pull over so you can get out of the friggin' car and shake like a friggin' dog until all the little goddam lettuce shavings are pretty much gone from your shirt but you realize now that some of the little friggin' bastards had been dipped in special sauce and now you smell like a friggin' salad bar and look like you've just been sprayed with thousand island dressing?

FAX

Nope, never happened to me. But then again I was never a fan of the Big Mac. ;)

gblowfish
08-25-2008, 08:06 AM

FAX
Never try to eat a Big Mac on the Run. Or a Taco Bell Taco. You'll be wearing it fo sho.

HemiEd
08-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Yes at the drive thru, it is no big deal and maybe it is a local thing. It is just something that gets on my nerves a bit. I am never rude because I know they are kids and are making shit for wages.......that and I dont want them to spit on my food :D

This has always irritated me as well. But I have resigned myself to the fact, that they aren't paid enough to be considerate.

When I find one that is considerate, I have tried to hire them if we have any openings.

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
They probably focus more time on making sure they use the credit/debit card machine correctly. Most people who use money are older and if they are eating fast food are probably going to die soon. Mine as well take care of the customers that are going to last longer.

HEY!!!!!!

HemiEd
08-25-2008, 08:17 AM

FAX
More experienced fast food drivers don't order Big Macs or crunchy tacos.

kepp
08-25-2008, 08:23 AM

Crazy times these are.

I worked at Hardee's when I was 16/17. I used to give my friends all kinds of extra food when they came through the drive-thru. And my friends and I, when closing the store, would take all the leftover food and trade for the leftover pizza from the Pizza Hut down the street. Fun times. Well, not really...but it seemed fun at the time.

Phobia
08-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I worked at Hardee's when I was 16/17. I used to give my friends all kinds of extra food when they came through the drive-thru. And my friends and I, when closing the store, would take all the leftover food and trade for the leftover pizza from the Pizza Hut down the street. Fun times. Well, not really...but it seemed fun at the time.

I was gonna chastize you for being an idiot but I was an idiot at that age as well. One of our friends worked at McDonalds and drove a $50 beater. This was one of those cars where if you saw it rolling down the road your mouth dropped open in awe and wonder. One particular New Years Eve he got off his shift at the McD's & left the car there. My buddies and I were carousing looking for trouble when we saw his car parked in the dimly lit parking lot. Heh.

After we were through with his car it would have taken $15k to make it roadworthy again. I felt badly - still do but it probably didn't have but about 30 more miles left anyway. We didn't take his gas or anything. A full tank would have been worth more than the entire car.

Some friends we were, huh?

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:36 AM
I was gonna chastize you for being an idiot but I was an idiot at that age as well. One of our friends worked at McDonalds and drove a $50 beater. This was one of those cars where if you saw it rolling down the road your mouth dropped open in awe and wonder. One particular New Years Eve he got off his shift at the McD's & left the car there. My buddies and I were carousing looking for trouble when we saw his car parked in the dimly lit parking lot. Heh.

After we were through with his car it would have taken $15k to make it roadworthy again. I felt badly - still do but it probably didn't have but about 30 more miles left anyway. We didn't take his gas or anything. A full tank would have been worth more than the entire car.

Some friends we were, huh?

that's horrible:D

reminds me of the time we turned some chicks car on its side it a party

DaKCMan AP
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I hear that Programmer is a janitor at a fast food establishment.

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
The worst we ever did was put Volkswagons up on the sidewalk.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:42 AM
The worst we ever did was put Volkswagons up on the sidewalk.

I always wanted to pull a prank like the one in real genius, where they disassemble his car and put it together in his dorm room

hehe that'd be great

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I always wanted to pull a prank like the one in real genius, where they disassemble his car and put it together in his dorm room

hehe that'd be great

Sounds like a lot of work.

Count Zarth
08-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I once stole a hat from the Papa John's I worked at. I still have it, in fact. It smells of yeast.

DeezNutz
08-25-2008, 09:44 AM
As a side note, I did get another part time job working in retail. It was at "Venture", a Walmart-Target type franchise that went out of business years ago. It was much more enjoyable.

Been a long time since I've heard someone talk about a Venture. 95th and Metcalf?

Phobia
08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
that's horrible:D

reminds me of the time we turned some chicks car on its side it a party
Yeah - we had participated in some beer induced stupidity that entire New Years Eve. That's why I don't get all freaked out when my house gets it from stupid teenagers - because I was a bored teen once. Did my share to earn it.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I once stole a hat from the Papa John's I worked at. I still have it, in fact. It smells of yeast.

:shake:

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah - we had participated in some beer induced stupidity that entire New Years Eve. That's why I don't get all freaked out when my house gets it from stupid teenagers - because I was a bored teen once. Did my share to earn it.

I just pray I don't get it as bad as I gave it.

smittysbar
08-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Heh - the economy blows - especially for professional painters. Guess what the first expense that goes when crunch time hits - home maintenance. Nobody is going to cut their beer or cig budget.

That's okay though, pay us now or pay us more later. The longer you wait the more work we'll have to do.

You would be surprised how bad times have gotten

Phobia
08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
You would be surprised how bad times have gotten

Perhaps I should rephrase. They're not cutting out their quantities of beer, they're just drinking beer at home or at a bud's party.

I won't pay ridiculous prices for beer. I sat down at BW3 a couple months ago and ordered a tall Bass. It was almost $7. Fortunately for me it was flat and I sent it back and drank a beer at home. Seven dollars is an entire six-pack. I'll drink Blvd products down at the local watering hole for $2 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There's no way I'll pay Arrowhead prices for beer - ever.

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I went to Taco Bell for lunch today and couldn't convince the counter girl of the definitions of left and right.

You get your food when they call out your order numbers, and they put the order numbers in a hard to find spot on the left side of their receipts. They just changed over from a system where the order number was obvious and in big letters, but that's a whole different story.

So anyway, people are having trouble finding their numbers as they're waiting, and the counter girl says, "The order number is on the right side of your ticket." She looked at me, who happened to be standing nearby, and said, "It's on the right side, right?"

I looked at my ticket. "Actually, it's on the left side."

"Are you sure?"

I showed her my ticket. "Left side."

She held it up facing me. "No, it's on the right side." She tapped the left side of the ticket, which was on her right since she was facing it toward me.

"Well, if you're reading it, it's on the left side."

She handed it back to me, looking a little confused, but then brightened when she saw me take it with my left hand. "Oh, that's it," she said. "It's on the left side for you because you're left-handed."

I swear this is true.

DaKCMan AP
08-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Perhaps I should rephrase. They're not cutting out their quantities of beer, they're just drinking beer at home or at a bud's party.

I won't pay ridiculous prices for beer. I sat down at BW3 a couple months ago and ordered a tall Bass. It was almost $7. Fortunately for me it was flat and I sent it back and drank a beer at home. Seven dollars is an entire six-pack. I'll drink Blvd products down at the local watering hole for $2 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There's no way I'll pay Arrowhead prices for beer - ever.

When you're at BW3 you gotta go with one of their Beer's of the Month. They usually have at least one choice that's good.

FAX
08-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I went to Taco Bell for lunch today and couldn't convince the counter girl of the definitions of left and right.

You get your food when they call out your order numbers, and they put the order numbers in a hard to find spot on the left side of their receipts. They just changed over from a system where the order number was obvious and in big letters, but that's a whole different story.

So anyway, people are having trouble finding their numbers as they're waiting, and the counter girl says, "The order number is on the right side of your ticket." She looked at me, who happened to be standing nearby, and said, "It's on the right side, right?"

I looked at my ticket. "Actually, it's on the left side."

"Are you sure?"

I showed her my ticket. "Left side."

She held it up facing me. "No, it's on the right side." She tapped the left side of the ticket, which was on her right since she was facing it toward me.

"Well, if you're reading it, it's on the left side."

She handed it back to me, looking a little confused, but then brightened when she saw me take it with my left hand. "Oh, that's it," she said. "It's on the left side for you because you're left-handed."

I swear this is true.

No way.

FAX

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 02:56 PM
No way.

FAX

Way.

Demonpenz
08-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't know if this is what happened but I know there has been similar situations where I have done something as stupid then just made a snide joke. People can't tell I am being sarcastic. I don't think that is what happened but younger people move Random ass nonsense humor. I remember one time my friend was reffing a kids basketball game and he forgot to blow the whistle on a foul and the play went to the other end this parent was yelling at him He was fouled he was fouled! My friend points at the dad and said "you fouled him" doesn't make sense

siberian khatru
08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
They just changed over from a system where the order number was obvious and in big letters, but that's a whole different story.

Now I'm confused.

FAX
08-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Now I'm confused.

AHA!!! I knew it wasn't way.

FAX

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Now I'm confused.

They spell out the numbers. I had to find "Three hundred and twenty-three" on my receipt today, for example.

siberian khatru
08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
They spell out the numbers. I had to find "Three hundred and twenty-three" on my receipt today, for example.

They should use Roman numerals. That would be fun.

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 03:22 PM
They should use Roman numerals. That would be fun.

"Number C-X-L-I-V, your order's ready. C-X-L-I-V."

If I had a restaurant, I'd definitely do that.