PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Hypothetical: Making a Commercial

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 12:34 AM
One lonely Friday night, you're hanging around the house, and you have a business brainstorm. Yes! It's a can't-miss proposition!

Six months later, your business idea of selling Kleenex box covers festooned with pictures of supermodels in erotic poses has taken off. Sales are strong and growing.

However, they're not growing quite fast enough, and your new marketing manager advises you to start running some television commercials. The commercials will air in a radius around your local area, and will reach approximately 3 million people (the size of a typical large metro area.

You hire an ad firm, and after extensive market research using a bona fide research firm and not just doing it themselves because lots of ad firms try to do this and they often don't do it right just because they're trying to save money rather than hiring a strong market research firm, they come up with an ad that is based on a spokesman discussing the merits of your product, focusing on convenience and time savings.

What type of person would you want to be your spokesperson? Assume that you can't afford A-list or B-list celebrities, so you would have to go with other options.

Poll forthcoming. Once you make your selection, please be prepared to provide additional detail and justification for your pick.

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Wilford Brimley sitting on a horse.

TinyEvel
08-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Kevin, you have either opened that bottle of Absynthe you procured from your last vacation, or you are engaged in some very unusual business consultancy these days.

And, thanks for the slam on agencies " because lots of ad firms try to do this and they often don't do it right just because they're trying to save money rather than hiring a strong market research firm"

lol

we get questionable information regardless though, recently a focus group really helped us save some print. Talk to you about that later. MAybe in a few weeks?

TinyEvel
08-25-2008, 01:13 AM
oh...and...
I predict this will be the least successful poll you've posted here.

The one you had about being the prey in a human hunt was epic, though.

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Kevin, you have either opened that bottle of Absynthe you procured from your last vacation, or you are engaged in some very unusual business consultancy these days.

And, thanks for the slam on agencies " because lots of ad firms try to do this and they often don't do it right just because they're trying to save money rather than hiring a strong market research firm"

lol

we get questionable information regardless though, recently a focus group really helped us save some print. Talk to you about that later. MAybe in a few weeks?

Actually, I just saw the mattress company commercial where the owner has his kid dress up in bad costumes and yell "Nobody beats the mattress king. Nobody!"

And sorry for the slam. We have lots of little ad firms around here who do focus groups with their neighbors and in-laws at a Starbucks to test ads, and sometimes I feel like pistolwhipping them.

Demonpenz
08-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Market research company's are the past.

Mr. Plow
08-25-2008, 10:12 AM
"Nobody beats me because I'm the Wiz!"

http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2008/03/seinfeld-wiz.jpg

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Market research company's are the past.

That's it. No focus groups for you. 30 day suspension.

AMDChief
08-25-2008, 10:15 AM
http://www.relentlessevilsnowflake.com/blog/whereb.jpg

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
oh...and...
I predict this will be the least successful poll you've posted here.

The one you had about being the prey in a human hunt was epic, though.

See, I think this poll should be quite popular. Everyone should have a plan in place for casting a TV commercial, just in case they ever need it. It's never too early to think about these things.

I don't remember the human prey poll. I must admit that I was disappointed in the turnout for the wormhole poll earlier this month, though. Maybe I've lost touch with the people. Maybe I need to get out more, mingle with the masses, rub elbows with the peasants.

Demonpenz
08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
That's it. No focus groups for you. 30 day suspension.

:oD