PDA

View Full Version : Life rabbit operation

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 01:09 PM
heres the deal. friend of mine reads a book about rabbits and decided that he wants to start a rabbit operation. he calls me and asks if i wanna go in with him. he foots the bill for the start up cost i.e. materials for pens feders and breeding stock ect.

my end will be the feed bill,breeding, daily maint. and butchering. plus its my farm and my building.

now i raised rabbits for 20 years with my mom and dad and dad and grandpa raised rabbits in the 50,60 and mid 70s. so im not a noob, but this guy has lots of noob ideas about how the book says to build your operation.(i said **** the book).

anyway he wants ... down the road to get usda cert. (screw that) and get a LLC in my name (bigtime screw that). i dont want it to be a big operation. ive done that and it sucks,it aint no fun feeding 30 dogs and 500 gamecocks in the heat or cold. or spending 3 ****ing hours every night tending to livestock.
the other thing is i need to talk him down from this big dream and help him understand that he isnt gonna make enough money to recoup his investment in 3 or even five years and that its along term deal and chances are he will be lucky to break even.

anyway.
what should my % of the operation be? whats a polite way to tell him to stay outta my hair?

i dont want it to get to the point that im pissed and he ends up with acouple trash bags full of dead bunnys strewn all over his lawn.

kepp
08-25-2008, 01:15 PM
whats a polite way to tell him to stay outta my hair?

Elmer. Friggin'. Fudd.

Baconeater
08-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Pets or meat?

ChiefsCountry
Rabbits are a pain, run run away from that.

Hog Farmer
Tell him you know a fella that will sell him a hog farm if he wants to raise some animals that bad. I'll cut him one hell of a deal too.

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Pets or meat?
meat quality registered NZW.

Demonpenz
08-25-2008, 01:17 PM
hare today gone tomorrow

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Tell him you know a fella that will sell him a hog farm if he wants to raise some animals that bad. I'll cut him one hell of a deal too.

ill be looking for a butchering hog in oct. how far from my area are you?

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Rabbits are a pain, run run away from that.
cant be any worse than highbred gamecocks and gamedogs. and im good with critters.

Hog Farmer
08-25-2008, 01:22 PM
ill be looking for a butchering hog in oct. how far from my area are you?

About 9 hours. I'm sure one could be found much closer.

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 01:28 PM
cant be any worse than highbred gamecocks and gamedogs. and im good with critters.

Those are a pain too. We used to have all kinds of critters as well now just down to cows, 2 hunting dogs, and wild barn cats.

bogey
08-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Who would be your clientele? It seems to me if you were usda cert., you would have more clientele.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Feed them LSD, shoot them into the sky in a huge rocket and blow them all up!

Cave Johnson
08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Pets or meat?

Is that a Roger and Me reference? If so, kudos.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/dogeatdogfilms/films/pom.html

Goapics1
08-25-2008, 02:40 PM
meat quality registered NZW.

There's a market for rabbit meat?

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 02:48 PM

its higher in protien,lower and fat than any other production meat. plus they mature to frying size faster than chickens.
but thats basicaly what im saying. how much of a market is there.....i dont wanna be sitting on 500 bunnies.

Hog Farmer
08-25-2008, 02:49 PM

http://www.rabbitproduction.com/Industry_Report.html

Goapics1
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Interesting. Never would have thunk it.

seclark
08-25-2008, 02:50 PM
sounds like you're doing the work, mo...for that i'd ask for a major % of the $$$.
sec

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Those are a pain too. We used to have all kinds of critters as well now just down to cows, 2 hunting dogs, and wild barn cats.

nothing wrong with diversity. i just wanna run some hogs,chickens,bunnys and acouple steers. if i can make enough to pay the light bill/ feed and put food on the table im happy.

and its only been about 8 years since i sold my last cow.

anyway.

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 02:53 PM
sounds like you're doing the work, mo...for that i'd ask for a major % of the $$$.
sec

thats what i am thinking. or atleast 51% so my say in the operation is final. cause if i think im getin the shit end of the stick he will end up with a lawn full of dead rabbits.

haha ala gangs of NY.....

Hog Farmer
08-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Here's a place to market your rabbits Mo.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_19950628/ai_n10085578

Rooster
08-25-2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.rabbitproduction.com/Industry_Report.html

I'll be damn. I had no idea.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2008, 03:42 PM
so let me get this straight, he spends some money one time to buy the equipment and pens, and you get the recurring maintenance and operating costs in perpetuity? Seems like a good deal for him if you plan to give him 49% assuming the venture lasts.

mikeyis4dcats.
08-25-2008, 03:44 PM
also, without USDA cert can you sell commercially to restaurants and stores? That is probably the only way to sustain a viable business.

Skip Towne
08-25-2008, 03:50 PM
The operation should pay you $25 per hour for labor + all other bills for feed and such and the two of you split what's left evenly.

Rooster
08-25-2008, 03:53 PM
also, without USDA cert can you sell commercially to restaurants and stores? That is probably the only way to sustain a viable business.

That's what I was thinking. I would think that USDA cert would be a must if you wanted to sell enough to make it worth your while.

FAX
08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree with Mr. Skip Towne. You should be paid by the operation as an employee. If the company can't afford to pay you in the early going, accrue the salary on the books to be paid to you at a later date, Mr. MOhillbilly. Also, because you're taking 100 percent of the ongoing responsibility for the assets (the rabbits, equipment, and material), you should receive, at a minimum, 60 percent of the stock and an option that, with 24 hours notice, you may force your friend to don bunny ears and hop around your house 4 times while you beat him with a stick because taking care of that many bunnies by yourself is going to get really old.

FAX

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM
so let me get this straight, he spends some money one time to buy the equipment and pens, and you get the recurring maintenance and operating costs in perpetuity? Seems like a good deal for him if you plan to give him 49% assuming the venture lasts.
thats why im asking what the split should be.

MOhillbilly
08-25-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree with Mr. Skip Towne. You should be paid by the operation as an employee. If the company can't afford to pay you in the early going, accrue the salary on the books to be paid to you at a later date, Mr. MOhillbilly. Also, because you're taking 100 percent of the ongoing responsibility for the assets (the rabbits, equipment, and material), you should receive, at a minimum, 60 percent of the stock and an option that, with 24 hours notice, you may force your friend to don bunny ears and hop around your house 4 times while you beat him with a stick because taking care of that many bunnies by yourself is going to get really old.

FAX

how would i go about telling this guy i want 60% or be salaried without pissing him off?

abit of history betwen me and this guy.

many moons ago said person thought he was a gangster and dealer. MO and his crew used said person from time to time when things were slow,MOs bro at the time was friendly with the prospective partner until some bad blood over some money with a third party connected to the prospect boiled over, ending in MOs bro getting laid open with a beer bottle.
ofcourse retribution was swift and effective with said prospects partners spending time in ICU & rehab.

so now that we are on a decent footing again( we have a mutual bro, that played peace maker) i dont want bad blood to spill over.

so should i just come out and say i want this this and this, or beat around the bush???
im not good at real buis......

FAX
08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
The logic behind my proposal should be pretty easy for him to figure out. You are taking on 100 percent of the ongoing responsibility for the operation, Mr. MOhillbilly. In other words, you are the sole employee as well as an investor, founder, and shareholder. This means you are contributing, not only more work, but are taking on more risk. For example, the time you take to care for the bunnies is time you could be using in other, more profitable endeavors.

Now, were he to absorb 1/2 of the responsibility of caring for the bunnies, things might be different - but he's not.

As for when you should make your requirements known, the sooner the better. Write it out and tell him these are the conditions in which you will participate. If he cannot agree, you'll know that this partnership would probably not work out in the long run anyhow because he isn't taking the value of your contribution into consideration.

Also, given the history between you guys (and assuming this isn't a venture you have a strong desire to be involved in anyway), I'd politely decline because I wouldn't trust the guy you just described with a 10 foot pole.

FAX

MOhillbilly
10-09-2008, 01:06 PM
i squashed all that shit. im in charge. i get a 66% cut. going to buy a guy outta his operation this weekend. new zealand whites & reds.

Stewie
10-09-2008, 01:10 PM
i squashed all that shit. im in charge. i get a 66% cut. going to buy a guy outta his operation this weekend. new zealand whites & reds.

So, you're going at it alone, or you still have a partner? Why is the seller getting out of the business?

MOhillbilly
10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
So, you're going at it alone, or you still have a partner? Why is the seller getting out of the business?

still have the partner, didnt really have a choice after i laid it out to him,he could either go it alone or do it my way. guy gettin out is 70 years old and doesnt wanna fool with it anymore.