PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto How Would You Handle This?

Jilly
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
So we ordered the baby's furniture from Nebraska Furniture Mart back in May. The crib, dresser and hutch were all delivered in June. The hutch was the wrong color. So....we set another delivery date, made sure we were going to get a matching hutch the next time. Waited 5 more weeks, and in July, the same color, the WRONG color hutch was delivered again. So, Sully talked to the lady on the phone, again, explained the situation, notes were made as to what the next hutch to be delivered was to look like. We waited another five weeks. They called last week to confirm the delivery, I asked - so what color are they delivering? "the lighter cherry" she said, "as is noted on the slip". "Perfect", I said. Today they delivered the same color, the WRONG color hutch for the third time.

It seems a small thing, but for a nine month pregnant woman who wants her baby's room to be perfect and set up for when she arrives....it's kinda a big thing. You, for the most part, are sane men and women... how do I get the kind of results that I need in this situation?

Ari Chi3fs
08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
you either need to relax or drink some grape antifreeze.

Jewish Rabbi
08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
So we ordered the baby's furniture from Nebraska Furniture Mart back in May. The crib, dresser and hutch were all delivered in June. The hutch was the wrong color. So....we set another delivery date, made sure we were going to get a matching hutch the next time. Waited 5 more weeks, and in July, the same color, the WRONG color hutch was delivered again. So, Sully talked to the lady on the phone, again, explained the situation, notes were made as to what the next hutch to be delivered was to look like. We waited another five weeks. They called last week to confirm the delivery, I asked - so what color are they delivering? "the lighter cherry" she said, "as is noted on the slip". "Perfect", I said. Today they delivered the same color, the WRONG color hutch for the third time.

It seems a small thing, but for a nine month pregnant woman who wants her baby's room to be perfect and set up for when she arrives....it's kinda a big thing. You, for the most part, are sane men and women... how do I get the kind of results that I need in this situation?Cancel your order, return everything, and demand your money back.

The Furniture Mart has f-ed over my family so many times over the years that they're not even worth dealing with, especially when their prices really aren't that much better than everywhere else.

L.A. Chieffan
08-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Nobody orders furniture from Nebraska Furniture Mart anymore....

Hog Farmer
08-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I would just take what they deliver and paint the kid to match.

siberian khatru
08-25-2008, 12:40 PM
See all the problems sex creates? You should've remained a virgin.

tooge
08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
The phone just doesn't get it done. Go there. Demand to speak to a manager. Get his name and phone number. Hold HIS ass responsible. Call him for a few days after just to make sure he is on your page. Tell them you want a discount, and a sizable one. If not, cancel the order, demand $ back, and tell everyone you know that they suck.

Hog Farmer
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Or tell them you've got a friend coming to visit him and he's loaded with bags and bags and bags of .........

HypnotizedMonkey
08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Raise hell.

Phobia
08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
This is SOP for NFM. They've outgrown their own usefulness. Every piece of furniture you ordered has 10 sets of hands involved in the process - that's a lot of room for screwups.

I'd send it back, send them an invoice for your time and fuel and shop elsewhere.

Besides, who spends tons of money on baby furniture? They'll outgrow it in a couple of years. I just assembled our crib today. It's one of those kind people pitch when they're through. But it's only gonna be in my house for 2 years and then I'll pass it on to the next frugal couple.

Chiefnj2
08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Unleash those pregnancy hormones on them.

CoMoChief

It seems a small thing, but for a nine month pregnant woman who wants her baby's room to be perfect and set up for when she arrives....it's kinda a big thing. You, for the most part, are sane men and women... how do I get the kind of results that I need in this situation?

Sounds like you need to go to NEB Furniture Mart and pick up the damn thing yourself to assure you get the right piece.

Should you have the time, money and appropriate vehicle to do so :D

luv
The phone just doesn't get it done. Go there. Demand to speak to a manager. Get his name and phone number. Hold HIS ass responsible. Call him for a few days after just to make sure he is on your page. Tell them you want a discount, and a sizable one. If not, cancel the order, demand $ back, and tell everyone you know that they suck.

Yep. And make sure they know you're going to give them negative publicity.

Bowser
Be sure you're at the Mart when you give birth, then claim the set they have showing on the floor as your own. The people that work there can bring you soup and cookies over the years.

If not that, demand a full refund for the piece they can't seem to get right, and be sure to give a supervisor a good yelling at. Probably won't do much in the end, but you'll feel better in the short term. And maybe try going out there and explaining to a supe that since their distribution center can't get anything right, you would like the floor model, and would happily return the wrong item to them.

My wife's cousin works out there, and trust me, they **** shit up all the time.

DeezNutz
08-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I would be getting a serious discount on this order.

Returning everything at this point would probably require even more work but would be a last resort, and it provides you leverage.

kepp
08-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Besides, who spends tons of money on baby furniture? They'll outgrow it in a couple of years. I just assembled our crib today. It's one of those kind people pitch when they're through. But it's only gonna be in my house for 2 years and then I'll pass it on to the next frugal couple.

Exactly. We've used the same crib/changing table/etc for both our daughters (although I did let my wife buy another sheet set for the crib). They'll never know the difference.

Jilly
08-25-2008, 12:48 PM
This is SOP for NFM. They've outgrown their own usefulness. Every piece of furniture you ordered has 10 sets of hands involved in the process - that's a lot of room for screwups.

I'd send it back, send them an invoice for your time and fuel and shop elsewhere.

Because we got the kind of furniture that grows with her. It turns into a full bed and the dresser isn't babyish and believe it or not, it is a nice piece. We were so excited about it and to tell you the truth...I want the furniture, Damn It!!! I just want it how I freakin ordered it! And to undo it all, when everythings set up but the hutch, take it all back and then sweat out finding new furniture and then reorganizing it all...well, it just seems too much for me at this point.. I just want to figure out how to get the damn hutch... maybe I should take pictures of it and take them up there and show them or something??

Bugeater
08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Sounds like you need to go to NEB Furniture Mart and pick up the damn thing yourself to assure you get the right piece.

Should you have the time, money and appropriate vehicle to do so :D

I agree with this. If you want something done right...

Jilly
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Be sure you're at the Mart when you give birth, then claim the set they have showing on the floor as your own. The people that work there can bring you soup and cookies over the years.

If not that, demand a full refund for the piece they can't seem to get right, and be sure to give a supervisor a good yelling at. Probably won't do much in the end, but you'll feel better in the short term. And maybe try going out there and explaining to a supe that since their distribution center can't get anything right, you would like the floor model, and would happily return the wrong item to them.

My wife's cousin works out there, and trust me, they **** shit up all the time.

mmm...cookies. Yeah, I'm not sure I should do any yelling...crying would probably be better for me at this point! Seriously though, I'm not sure if I would get better results yelling and crying or going up there and being rational about it...

luv
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Because we got the kind of furniture that grows with her. It turns into a full bed and the dresser isn't babyish and believe it or not, it is a nice piece. We were so excited about it and to tell you the truth...I want the furniture, Damn It!!! I just want it how I freakin ordered it! And to undo it all, when everythings set up but the hutch, take it all back and then sweat out finding new furniture and then reorganizing it all...well, it just seems too much for me at this point.. I just want to figure out how to get the damn hutch... maybe I should take pictures of it and take them up there and show them or something??

Didn't think about the work involved with taking the other items back. Yeah, I'd take the picture to wherever and show it to them. Take a picture of the wrong one to show them what they've sent you three times as a comparison. I'd still demand a discount, and still let them know that you won't be shopping with them again if they don't get it right.

Sully
08-25-2008, 12:54 PM

Eh. It's one of those beds that grows with the baby. So it starts as a crib, then you can convert it to a todler crib, then finally it turns into a twin bed. The rest of the set is fine for up to a teenage girl (or even older). Nice dresser and hutch, etc.
If we were spending what we spent on just baby furniture, I'd agree with you, but this should last for at least 8-9 years.

Bowser
08-25-2008, 01:00 PM
mmm...cookies. Yeah, I'm not sure I should do any yelling...crying would probably be better for me at this point! Seriously though, I'm not sure if I would get better results yelling and crying or going up there and being rational about it...

It's been my experience that crying pregnant women get immediate attention, wherever they may be. Not suggesting you go up there and lose your shit, I'm just sayin'.....

Seriously, if it were me, I'd haul the wrong hutch up there and ask for the right one, right off the floor if they have to. F*cking up your order three times over a span of how many months is just plain unacceptable.

Sure-Oz
08-25-2008, 01:00 PM
I love NFM....they've gotten our furniture perfect everytime and i love my new samsung. I love the no interest shit and everything! Sorry you had a bad deal....that is pretty ridiculous thats happend so much....id want it for free or a ridiculous discount,btw your better off getting it yourself.

Jilly
08-25-2008, 01:03 PM
I love NFM....they've gotten our furniture perfect everytime and i love my new samsung. I love the no interest shit and everything! Sorry you had a bad deal....that is pretty ridiculous thats happend so much....id want it for free or a ridiculous discount,btw your better off getting it yourself.

Yeah, we've never had problems with them before and we've gotten lots of furniture there....I'm pretty sure the sales guy wrote it up wrong or something...who knows.

Jilly
08-25-2008, 01:04 PM
It's been my experience that crying pregnant women get immediate attention, wherever they may be. Not suggesting you go up there and lose your shit, I'm just sayin'.....

Seriously, if it were me, I'd haul the wrong hutch up there and ask for the right one, right off the floor if they have to. F*cking up your order three times over a span of how many months is just plain unacceptable.

right??? I feel like once, fine. Twice, okay. But three damn times?

Sure-Oz
08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Yeah, we've never had problems with them before and we've gotten lots of furniture there....I'm pretty sure the sales guy wrote it up wrong or something...who knows.

Problem is, every place has some incompetent person working there...we've had problems with a place we are renting from just getting info etc, then there is TW Cable etc....there's always something:doh!: It usually takes bitching to get it correct at this point

bogey
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Get your money back and go with someone else.

Bowser
08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Eh. It's one of those beds that grows with the baby. So it starts as a crib, then you can convert it to a todler crib, then finally it turns into a twin bed. The rest of the set is fine for up to a teenage girl (or even older). Nice dresser and hutch, etc.
If we were spending what we spent on just baby furniture, I'd agree with you, but this should last for at least 8-9 years.

They need to makes clothes that grow with the baby. Especially when the mother is addicted to places like Baby Gap when your kid is young. :shake:

Saulbadguy
08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Take a dump in the fountain in front of the store.

Chazno
08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I had a similar issue with another place a few years back. We bought a Green couch and loveseat and it was delivered without included pillows. We called the place and they said they'd ship them out immediately. A few days later we get the package, open it and find 2 yards of brown upholstery. We call the store, they ask for our order #, we give it to them and tell them that we got cloth instead of our pillows. they said " No you have a tear on the back of your couch" This confused us and we checked the couch to make sure. " No theres no tear, and if there was....did you expect us to put on this material....that is brown instead of green?". "Oh, we'll send them out right away."

A few days later we got a big box of pillows.....BROWN pillows. We eventually had to go back into the place to get them....and we kept the brown pillows too :)

In short, it happens everywhere. I've been very happy with NFM.

Ari Chi3fs
08-25-2008, 01:33 PM

Shit I have one, I would have given you, and its in great shape. Ill get rid of it on Craigslist, I suppose.

Simply Red
08-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Get your money back and go with someone else..

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 01:44 PM

We didn't spend "a ton" but we spent about $2.2k for the dresser and crib. The crib converts into a full-sized bed and once she moves into the bigger bedroom, we'll buy the matching chest. I figured I'd rather spend $3k for furniture that will last 18 years rather than $1k for furniture that's throw away.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if that theory works...

Radar Chief
08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
9 month pregnant? Damn Jilly, time flies doesn’t it?

Saulbadguy
08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
We didn't spend "a ton" but we spent about $2.2k for the dresser and crib. The crib converts into a full-sized bed and once she moves into the bigger bedroom, we'll buy the matching chest. I figured I'd rather spend $3k for furniture that will last 18 years rather than $1k for furniture that's throw away.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if that theory works...

ROFL

Rain Man
08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Kids today are spoiled with their own beds and stuff. When I was a kid, we couldn't afford beds. We slept on the floor. And when my parents were kids, they couldn't afford floors, so they had to sleep hanging on to branches over a big hole that led to the Earth's fiery core.

Phobia
08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
You should have just bought one of those sets that grows with your child. That's what I'd have done.

Jilly
08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
9 month pregnant? Damn Jilly, time flies doesn’t it?

yeah, it's crazy, isn't it? My tummy and steering wheel have serious arguments at this point

Ebolapox
08-25-2008, 03:50 PM
See all the problems sex creates? You should've remained a virgin.

that or had sully PIITB

Ebolapox
08-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Shit I have one, I would have given you, and its in great shape. Ill get rid of it on Craigslist, I suppose.

you don't, by chance, have a train room and a freezer full of imitation crab meat, do you?

Demonpenz
08-25-2008, 03:59 PM
I would take that shit back and buy some of stuff on craigs list. It's a waste of money, and it makes no sense to spend money on that shit even if it changes shapes like a mother ****ing transformer, but then I remember common sense, woman, PREGNANT woman never go together...and a happy mom = a dad that doesn't get stabbed

kstater
08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Firebomb

RJ
08-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey Jilly, I've worked in retail flooring for 25 years and I've seen my share of situations like this. Sometimes orders take on a life of their own and the more you try to correct them the more screwed up they get. It's one of those Murphy's Law things. I'm sure NFM gets the vast majority of their orders right - Warren Buffett doesn't buy poorly run companies and I know they're a very well respected name in flooring - and they'll want to get this one right as well. You just need to find the right person to talk to.

If possible, I would go to the store rather than calling, take along some pictures, find the highest ranking person you can and explain it as rationally as possible just like you did here. Contrary to popular opinion, going off the deep end won't help your cause. Those type people just make things worse for themselves because no one wants to help them. I'm certain they'll correct the problem and probably throw in a few $$ discount if you just find the right person.

Sully
08-26-2008, 08:08 AM
So I guess Jilly is going out there today, and taking my step-mother with her. They are taking a drawer from the dresser.
So basically it will be crazy-crying-9 mos.-pregnant lady backed up by often-irrational-scream-in-public-can't hear your explanation, anyway-lady.

With those two together, I'd put even money that they pay us to take the set. ROFL

I think this is what happened. On the first delivery, they called ahead of time and said they had the set, but the hutch was wrong. So they brought the set. On the hutch delivery, once we found out it was "wrong," this whole process began. But going back, I think they actually brought the incorrect set, and the hutch they've been bringing has actually been the correct one. We've tried to explain that to them, but obviously describing tones of wood colors over the phone isn't terribly accurate. Add to that, apparently the manufacturer has changed the names of the wood colors they are using, which effs it up even more. Hopefully the visit in person will clear it all up.

Rausch
08-26-2008, 08:14 AM
After the third FAIL why would you expect anything else?

You're trusting a bunch of people that can't be trusted with a very special request for a very special new person.

You get 1 chance with this kid, not 3.

Why should they?...

Skip Towne
08-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm a big believer in giving a guy a second chance. But after he f*cks it up 3 times, I want a new player.

Fish
08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
So basically it will be crazy-crying-9 mos.-pregnant lady backed up by often-irrational-scream-in-public-can't hear your explanation, anyway-lady.

With those two together, I'd put even money that they pay us to take the set. ROFL

Ohh dear Lord..... that sounds like a frightening combination...

If I was working, I'd tell them to fill up a delivery truck with whatever they wanted and call it even just to get out of that situation....

Sully
08-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Ohh dear Lord..... that sounds like a frightening combination...

If I was working, I'd tell them to fill up a delivery truck with whatever they wanted and call it even just to get out of that situation....

I'd seriously rather look down the barrel of a gun than deal with their combined wrath. My step-mom alone is bad enough. She's half-deaf, and can be mean as hell, as well as irrational in heated situations. Jilly's been great during this pregnancy, but she's finally starting to get reeeeeaaaallllly uncomfortable. My incentive to be an even better husband has been through the roof. (I can't tell you how much gymnastics I've watched over the past 2 weeks).

boogblaster
08-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Antifreeze and KY Jelly applied heavily on baseball bat inserted daily ... If that don't work call up our fridge-killer ...

TrebMaxx
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM
The wife and I will no longer use NFM. We went through a similar fiasco with them over a dining room set. Took over a year, four deliveries, and many calls to finally get a table that wasn't damaged. They did give us $400 off after they finally delivered the product. I was ready at delivery number 2 to tell them to just give us our money back and go somewhere else but my wife really wanted that set. Not a battle I wanted to fight with her so I just let her deal with NFM about it all.

Jilly
08-26-2008, 03:57 PM
So.....believe it or not, I was completely rational, calm and cool today. My mother in law was on the verge of not being so.... We took a drawer, went to customer service, and they were idiots. So, I took the drawer up to the sales floor, found the set, had someone call for our original salesman. He was aware that we were coming (because the woman who was talked to on the phone yesterday had already talked to him). The model on the floor was the color of the hutch we were needing. I told him if that color was not in stock in the warehouse, I would take the floor model for a significant discount. The color they delivered the dresser and the crib was the wrong color from the beginning, and the hutch had always been the right color. So, I told him, I didn't care, that I wanted to keep the dresser and crib and just wanted the matching hutch. So he ordered it, in the same color the drawer was, it is in stock and will be delivered next week, so that way they can take back the old hutch. The sales guy gave me his cell phone number and said if it was wrong when they delivered it, for me to call him directly on that number. Soooo...I guess we'll wait and see... they did take some money off the price as well...so.... wow... maybe the saga will be over?

I will say though, I am quite proud of myself. Pregnancy hormones and all, I was very calm and very sweet and kept a light spirit about me, but was sure to let him know I was smart and definitely was there to make sure it was right this time.

But so help me God if it's wrong next week.....!!!!!

Jilly
08-26-2008, 04:05 PM
I'd seriously rather look down the barrel of a gun than deal with their combined wrath. My step-mom alone is bad enough. She's half-deaf, and can be mean as hell, as well as irrational in heated situations. Jilly's been great during this pregnancy, but she's finally starting to get reeeeeaaaallllly uncomfortable. My incentive to be an even better husband has been through the roof. (I can't tell you how much gymnastics I've watched over the past 2 weeks).

I KNEW it! And I knew it when you actually watched the ribbon gymnastics....what a sweet husband you are!

RJ
08-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Sounds promising. if I were you I'd call the salesman the day before delivery and put a bug in his ear so he'll check on your order. Just a sort of subtle reminder of the misery that waits him should there be another screw-up.

Iowanian
08-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Moltov Cocktail.