PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs LB from Vikings cut...

Coogs
08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
POPE SURPRISE VIKINGS CUT (1:59 p.m. ET)
The Minnesota Vikings' most notable roster move Monday was releasing veteran linebacker Derrick Pope. To this point, it had appeared Pope would be the top backup at all three linebacker positions.

Got this from ESPN.com. The link can't be cut and pasted. Don't know anything about him, so is he worth a look?

L.A. Chieffan
08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
WE HAVE AN EXTA 30 MILLON !!SIGN HIM!!

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 12:40 PM
These threads are going to flood the front page through the weekend.

Hog Farmer
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Stick with what we've got, save our money and lets go get that top 5 pick again!

RustShack
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Bring his ass in, NOW!

Chiefnj2
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
I was hoping KC would look at whoever the Vikings cut at WR.

I don't know much about Pope other than he played for Miami and is supposed to be a decent ST guy.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I was hoping KC would look at whoever the Vikings cut at WR.

I don't know much about Pope other than he played for Miami and is supposed to be a decent ST guy.

That's the extent of my knowledge as well.

And I'm with you on the Vikes WR situation.

philfree
08-25-2008, 12:47 PM
The guy was in on 64 tckls last year so he must have some game. If he's healthy he might be able to help.

PhilFree:arrow:

Bowser
08-25-2008, 12:49 PM
He and Nap Harris should have a really good rapport.

Steron
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I read this as well. I hope they bring him in for a look, at least.

CupidStunt
08-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Pope was signed to a one-year contract as a free agent last March mainly because of his abilities on special teams. He had spent his first four seasons with Miami after being a seventh-round pick in 2004. He started a career-high nine games for the Dolphins last season and was pursued by Atlanta, Kansas City and Tampa Bay before signing with Minnesota.

I wouldn't have thought anything of it if not for all the injuries. Hopefully someone a little better is cut loose from a team deep at LB.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 12:59 PM
He and Nap Harris should have a really good rapport.

LMAO

Buehler445
08-25-2008, 01:00 PM
This smells like a Harris situation to me, but refresh my memory,

This guy now goes through the waiver wires right? That is the draft order, and the team that picks him up has to eat his salary. Then if he makes it through those, he can be signed for whatever, right?

How did the Vikes get so many good WRs? I thought all they had was Rice and Berrian?

Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Well, if we had an interest in him before, I'd really be surprised if they didn't try to get him.

Anything he could give us at LB would be gravy, IMO - our special teams are ****ing atrocious.

C-Mac
08-25-2008, 01:42 PM

This guy now goes through the waiver wires right? That is the draft order, and the team that picks him up has to eat his salary. Then if he makes it through those, he can be signed for whatever, right?

How did the Vikes get so many good WRs? I thought all they had was Rice and Berrian?

Posted via Mobile Device

I thought if your "cut" you were free to sign with anyone but likely your correct.

FAX
08-25-2008, 02:55 PM
We are so weak in special teams and at linebacker, anybody is probably worth a tryout or at least a conversation. Herm said he was considering strapping some pads on Gun so he could channel that rage into something positive.

FAX

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Herm said he was considering strapping some pads on Gun so he could channel that rage into something positive.

FAX

Our D sucks bad enough

mylittlepony
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Hodge and Lansanah are on the bubble in Greenbay and both are young. Their linebacker unit is stacked, KC could actually get some young talent there. They said on the broadcast that half the NFL had scouts there and proceded to name the teams. Ofcourse KC wasnt one of them.

Micjones
08-25-2008, 04:44 PM
I'd bring Pope in. He only started 9 games last year, but he was fairly productive.
He hasn't gotten much opportunity in the NFL, but has produced where he's been given time.

Bowser
08-25-2008, 04:48 PM
He only started 9 games last year

That's more than our starting QB started last year.

Micjones
08-25-2008, 04:51 PM
That's more than our starting QB started last year.

Good thing you left out the fairly productive part.
That would've handicapped your point.

Bowser
08-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Good thing you left out the fairly productive part.
That would've handicapped your point.

I'm a master at situational bullshit.

Micjones
08-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm a master at situational bullshit.

Indeed you are.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Indeed you are.

Pot, meet kettle.

Buehler445
08-25-2008, 06:46 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Bump. I don't think anyone answered this.

SNR
08-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Bump. I don't think anyone answered this.They don't have any good receivers. I don't know what you're talking about. They're just as bad as we are.

KCJohnny
08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I don't know why everyone thinks our D is so bad.

Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham leads a Kansas City defense that ranked in the NFL’s top five in nine different different defensive categories in 2007. The Chiefs led the league in third-down defense (31.3%) and forced a league-high 121 negative plays. KC also ranked second in the NFL in Red Zone defense (14.5 TD pct.).
Overall #13 in total defense. We just added Flowers, Dorsey and Williams. I'm not panicking. Its not like we're going to the post season or anything...
link (http://www.kcchiefs.com/gameday/20080828)

jjchieffan
08-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I hate to hijack a thread, but I just saw on ESPN bottomline that Cinci is shopping Chad Johnson

VanDolPhan
08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't know what got him cut in Minny but he's a very solid special teams player. He's a solid backup and can start in a pinch if needed and make some plays. He's a bit of a slow player though and doesn't play the pass very well and can get caught out of position a lot. However he can work as a 2 down LB and knock the snot out of ball carriers.

You can honestly easily do far worse for LB depth.

As far as the question on whether he goes thru waivers I think if someone has 4 full years credited or less they go through the waiver wire. If that's true then he wouldn't go thru waivers as he has 4 full years credited.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 08:38 PM
I hate to hijack a thread, but I just saw on ESPN bottomline that Cinci is shopping Chad Johnson

Shopping RUDI Johnson.

For a WR.

jjchieffan
08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Shopping RUDI Johnson.

For a WR.

:doh!:That's what I meant. I guess its time for me to get some sleep.

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I don't know why everyone thinks our D is so bad.

We have no pass rush, which is one of the two big keys of a defense.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-25-2008, 09:15 PM

Ya, the loss of Jared will kill the pass rush. Hopefully the run D can improve with Dorsey and an improved Tank manning down the DT positions forcing the D into longer 3rd downs.

KCJohnny
08-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Too early to tell. We haven't seen a 100% Dorsey go 4 quarters yet. DJ said he'll be in a 3-pt stance a lot this year a la Derrick Thomas (RIP).

Allen's loss is huge (granted) but Dorsey may make up a lot of the push. We won't have the threat off the edge like JA provided, but there may be more push in the middle.

I am not a fan of the Cover II scheme, but if low points allowed totals are the criteria, we're definitely moving in the right direction. Scoring points on the other side of the ball would be helpful.

KCJohnny
08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Ya, the loss of Jared will kill the pass rush. Hopefully the run D can improve with Dorsey and an improved Tank manning down the DT positions forcing the D into longer 3rd downs.

As a Soldier, I like that phrase.
:thumb: