PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports The Worst Cities To Be A Sports Fan

Stryker
08-25-2008, 02:02 PM
You guessed it - #6 Kansas City

No. 6 Kansas City
Teams: Chiefs (NFL); Royals (MLB)

Median Household Income/Fan Cost Index: $46,193 / $266.68 (12th)

Teams' combined winning percentage: .433 (25th)

Playoff Appearances: 0

Championships: 0

Ticket prices are reasonable, but the Royals just can't shake over a decade's worth of the doldrums. The franchise has had just one winning season since 1995.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/19/tickets-fans-miami-biz-sports-cx_tvr_0820badfans_slide_2.html?partner=yahoosports

Gonzo
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
:(

Reerun_KC
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
And people ACT like we are Boston or something...

We have sucked for so long, people have forgotten Kansas City as a town has ceased to exist...

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Ticket prices are reasonable?

By who's standards is a $80 upper deck end zone ticket reasonable?

JuicesFlowing
08-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I understand the point, but Kansas City is a great place and the Chiefs fans in general are amongst the best in the NFL ... The Royals are always going to suck and make that poll bad for Kansas City.

BigCatDaddy
08-25-2008, 02:06 PM
REPOST! HAHAHAHAA :)

Baconeater
08-25-2008, 02:07 PM

I think they're referring to the Royals, although the Chiefs have been pimping tickets on local radio here for around $45.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I think they're referring to the Royals, although the Chiefs have been pimping tickets on local radio here for around $45.

Shit, you could give tickets away to Royals games, and you wouldn't be guaranteed a full house.

And $45 for the Chiefs is great, until you realize you need to hire a sherpa and mountain goat to get to your seat, in row 43 of the upper corner...

Don't forget the telescope...

Deberg_1990
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
We have sucked for so long, people have forgotten Kansas City as a town has ceased to exist...

Who are these people? Yes the teams suck right now, but be happy you have teams to root for. There are cities larger than KC without franchises.

hawkchief
08-25-2008, 02:10 PM
At least we have the National Champion, nationally prominent, Kansas Jayhawks. The remaining area sports are pretty much a laughingstock.

Raiderhader
08-25-2008, 02:13 PM
How do they get 0 championships and playoff appearances?

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Shit, you could give tickets away to Royals games, and you wouldn't be guaranteed a full house.

I wouldnt go that far, they have had some big crowds this year actually that didnt involve the cross state team.

Reerun_KC
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
I understand the point, but Kansas City is a great place and the Chiefs fans in general are amongst the best in the NFL ... The Royals are always going to suck and make that poll bad for Kansas City.
So the sucking we have done since the late 80"s in football doesnt effect the pole?

We are 3 and ****ing 9 in the playoffs since the early 90's, have had home field 3 frucking times and done absolutely shit with it...

Best fans or no fans.. Martha made us a regular season mediocrity train and a post season laughing stock... Carl has tried his best to keep that tradition going for the last 10 years... Now our Head coach is racking up losses faster than the Pats were racking up superbowl wins...

The Chiefs have help 50% of that sucking, its not just the Royals...

Reerun_KC
08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Who are these people? Yes the teams suck right now, but be happy you have teams to root for. There are cities larger than KC without franchises.

I was talking about media people... believe me I am thrilled we have the Royals and Chiefs, regardless of suck factor....

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 02:22 PM

I pay $85 a ticket plus $20 for parking for a single Dodgers game.

They're great seats (about 10 rows from 1st base) but that seat at the K is more than half that price.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 02:23 PM

Which cities would those be?

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I wouldnt go that far, they have had some big crowds this year actually that didnt involve the cross state team.

Key word: Some.

I'm not trying to disparage the city, but it's true.

You could give away 10K tickets to each game, and if they actually counted heads for attendance numbers, STILL be in the back-half of the league - because it's likely only half of those people (at best) show up. Maybe a couple of times, but not every night.

gblowfish
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks Mr. Sunshine,.
Just shoot me now.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I pay $85 a ticket plus $20 for parking for a single Dodgers game.

They're great seats (about 10 rows from 1st base) but that seat at the K is more than half that price.

I'm not arguing that Royals tickets are expensive. They all but HAVE to have lower prices - they barely get 20K a night as it is.

But find me a list of NFL franchises that charges $83 for a seat in the 10th row of the upper deck end zone.

Bet there's less than 5 - including KC.

Ari Chi3fs
How is Miami #1? They have 2 WS championships since 1997, and the Heat won 3 years ago?

Ultra Peanut
A more accurate title is The Worst Cities To Be A Sports Fan in 07-08.

Miami (1) and Indianapolis (3) just won championships in the last three seasons. Poor them.

Ari Chi3fs
08-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Indy #3? They won 2 years ago... WTF.

Deberg_1990
08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Which cities would those be?

Hmmmm....how many pro NFL teams does LA have??

rambleonthruthefog
08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
yeah, sure would hate to be a football fan in indianapolis, tampa bay, new york or pittsburgh, a basketball fan in miami or cleveland, or a baseball fan in new york. i mean who wants playoff wins, championship games, or titles within the last 5 or 6 years.

Goapics1
08-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Indy #3? They won 2 years ago... WTF.

you forgot about the Pacers, oh wait...............................................

Chief Chief
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
If fans were ranked based on their appearance, Indy would be #1 hands down! Just look at those losers!

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm not arguing that Royals tickets are expensive. They all but HAVE to have lower prices - they barely get 20K a night as it is.

But find me a list of NFL franchises that charges $83 for a seat in the 10th row of the upper deck end zone.

Bet there's less than 5 - including KC.

http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/Gillette.htm#Cheap_New_England_Patriots_Tickets

That's the only team that I could find on that site with more expensive upper-deck seats.

Most were between $50-$65. The Jets, Giants and Eagles prices weren't listed but with the new PSL's ($1-5k per seat for the Jets & Giants), they'll certainly be in the upper range.

Wow. Just wow.

How in the hell can the Hunts justify those prices?

Reerun_KC
08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
How in the hell can the Hunts justify those prices?

Because the Lemmings will line up and keep paying for them...

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Because the Lemmings will line up and keep paying for them...

I think that's rather insulting to the citizens of Kansas City

ChiefsCountry
08-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I think that's rather insulting to the citizens of Kansas City

The law of supply and demand, they were filling the place at those prices. They have cut the prices now, but would you really change if things were selling out?

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
The law of supply and demand, they were filling the place at those prices. They have cut the prices now, but would you really change if things were selling out?

Probably not, though it's difficult to justify $85 for an upper deck seat in a town like KC.

Boston, Philly, Dallas and New York, I can understand.

But KC? That's price gouging.

Fruit Ninja
08-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Hmmmm....how many pro NFL teams does LA have??

Truth is LA could give a **** about football. They are a Dodgers/Lakers city. They never really gave a shit about the Raiders/Rams.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Truth is LA could give a **** about football. They are a Dodgers/Lakers city. They never really gave a shit about the Raiders/Rams.

That's not true.

From 1946 to 1979, the Los Angeles Rams won NFL Championships and were routinely sold out.

Midnight_Vulture
08-25-2008, 03:13 PM

:spock:

How exactly is KC a great place? Sure there are some nice folks there but you can find nice folks in mostly all cities.

At least with cities like Miami, San Diego, Atlanta and obviously NY, there are sooo many things to do. KC is a bit of a wasteland compared to those cities.

And the Royals are only the half of it. THe Chiefs have failed miserably for decades so you are wrong there.

Midnight_Vulture
08-25-2008, 03:16 PM
That's not true.

From 1946 to 1979, the Los Angeles Rams won NFL Championships and were routinely sold out.

:LOL: haha

Dude who are you trying to kid here?

LA is a HORRIBLE sports town.

I attended a Lakers playoff game this year and the fans are just plain sad. Laker fans would come in droves well into the the end of the first quarter. Many of them would be texting on their blackberries during the game and not even paying attention to it at all.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 03:21 PM
:LOL: haha

Dude who are you trying to kid here?

LA is a HORRIBLE sports town.

I attended a Lakers playoff game this year and the fans are just plain sad. Laker fans would come in droves well into the the end of the first quarter. Many of them would be texting on their blackberries during the game and not even paying attention to it at all.

Your idiocy grows with each and every post.

Keep it up.

Fruit Ninja
08-25-2008, 03:22 PM
That's not true.

Then when i started watching football in the early mid 80's i didnt see many people giving a crap about it. They wouldnt build Rams or the Raiders a new stadium i believe which is why they both bolted the hell out. I could be wrong, but i was a bit young back when they were both ready to bolt and didnt care about all that kind of stuff.

When you go from 2 football teams to 0 in a matter of a few years its because they didnt give a shit.

Midnight_Vulture
08-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Hahaha you cant even back up your claims. All you resort to is personal attacks haha.

Once again I prove you wrong in an arguement. Go spend some time with your wife and child. Stay away from internet messageboards. You dont seem cut out for them.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Hahaha you cant even back up your claims. All you resort to is personal attacks haha.

Once again I prove you wrong in an arguement. Go spend some time with your wife and child. Stay away from internet messageboards. You dont seem cut out for them.

As usual, you really don't know what the **** you're talking about.

First off, did you ever consider that the majority of Laker's season ticket holders actually have JOBS that aren't near Staples? How about the fact that the games begin during rush hour?

I live 4 miles from Dodgers Stadium. It's taken me as long as 90 minutes to get to the stadium and many times, I've been late. Why? Traffic, work, etc.

When you've got 10 million people using the 5/101/10/110 cloverleaf everyday, there's going to be delays.

It has NOTHING to do with being a "fan". It has to do with LIFE.

The games were sold out, were they not?

Go back to jerking off to yourself in the mirror. It seems like that's what you're best at.

Dartgod
08-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Where are you getting the $85 figure for upper deck seats? This "lemming" has lower level seats on the goal line at $84 a pop.

Dartgod
08-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Where are you getting the $85 figure for upper deck seats? This "lemming" has lower level seats on the goal line at $84 a pop.
Holy crap, nevermind. I see that the lower part of the upper deck are priced at $83 for single games, $78 each for season tickets.

DaneMcCloud
08-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Then when i started watching football in the early mid 80's i didnt see many people giving a crap about it. They wouldnt build Rams or the Raiders a new stadium i believe which is why they both bolted the hell out. I could be wrong, but i was a bit young back when they were both ready to bolt and didnt care about all that kind of stuff.

When you go from 2 football teams to 0 in a matter of a few years its because they didnt give a shit.

Yes, you're wrong.

After Carol Rosenbloom mysteriously died, Georgia Frontiere just up and moved the Rams to Anaheim. There was no ongoing discussion with the city, no threats of moving due to a new stadium. Nothing. She tried somewhat to hold the city of Anaheim hostage back in 1994 but that deal was in the works because Jacksonville was awarded the new franchise instead of St. Louis.

As for the Raiders, they left because Al Davis is weird dude. He took $10 million from the city of Irwindale, who promised to build him a stadium but instead, headed back to Oakland (along with the $10 million).

In both cases, it had nothing to do with fan support, stadiums or anything related. As a matter of fact, the city of Anaheim ponied up big time for a renovation of Angels stadium, long before they won the World Series. I'm sure they would have done the same for the Rams, if she had shown a committment to stay.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Holy crap, nevermind. I see that the lower part of the upper deck are priced at $83 for single games, $78 each for season tickets.

Ridiculous, isn't it?

When the Chiefs called me to ask why I didn't renew, I told them that one of my reasons was the pricing structure for tickets.

In the lower level, tickets are most expensive near midfield, and become less expensive the further you get from the 50 yard line.

Not so in the upper deck.

If they want to charge $80 for an upper deck seat, great. But do so for the premium seats, between the 20's.

Then charge say $65 for seats between the goal line and 20.

And less for seats in the end zones.

But when people in the 10th row of the EZ are paying the same as people with front-row, 50 yard line seats, something's wrong.

Portlantis
08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't understand these rankings. Even if this is for 2008 only, New York should not be on this list, let alone higher than us.

Bearcat
08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't understand these rankings. Even if this is for 2008 only, New York should not be on this list, let alone higher than us.

In case you didn't see the article attached to the pictures... It's a ranking of "the most bang for your buck"...

In figuring the toughest cities in which to be sports fans over the past year, we compared the latest median household income figures from the Census Bureau to the Fan Cost Index for each team compiled by Team Marketing. Those metros with the lowest ratios of income to ticket cost were deemed most expensive for fans. Those ratios were then compared to team performance, with regular season won-lost records and playoff outcomes combined for all teams in a given city.

It's dumb that they lump all of the NYC teams together, because I doubt anyone very many people are a fan of both teams from each sport, but I guess there's no better way to do it. (I wonder if there is any correlation between them.... if Jets fans tend to be Mets fans, etc. :shrug: )

Bearcat
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
It says the best deal is here in Detroit.

Kind of bitter-sweet... great sports! Uh, but you still live in Detroit...

joesomebody
08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
At least we have the National Champion, nationally prominent, Kansas Jayhawks. The remaining area sports are pretty much a laughingstock.I'm gonna go out on a limb here and call the nationally prominent Kansas Jayhawks a negative :p

Midnight_Vulture
08-26-2008, 03:26 PM
As usual, you really don't know what the **** you're talking about.

First off, did you ever consider that the majority of Laker's season ticket holders actually have JOBS that aren't near Staples? How about the fact that the games begin during rush hour?

I live 4 miles from Dodgers Stadium. It's taken me as long as 90 minutes to get to the stadium and many times, I've been late. Why? Traffic, work, etc.

When you've got 10 million people using the 5/101/10/110 cloverleaf everyday, there's going to be delays.

It has NOTHING to do with being a "fan". It has to do with LIFE.

The games were sold out, were they not?

Go back to jerking off to yourself in the mirror. It seems like that's what you're best at.

ROFL
Nice try sticking up for LA sports fans but you FAIL miserabley.

The game I went to was on the WEEKEND. How many playoff ticket holders have jobs on the weekend? Ummmm yeah figure that one out but I will say probably slim to none.

The fact of the matter is that LA fans are not passionate at all. If they actually gave a damn about their teams they would be at that game EARLY and supporting their team...and not texting the whole game.:shake:ROFL

Face it moron, the rest of the country thinks LA as a horrible sports town...YOU FAIL AGAIN.:thumb: