PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Boy banned from pitching in little league for being too good.

kstater
08-25-2008, 07:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-toogoodtopitch&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP)—Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player— too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho’s coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn’t quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league’s field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.
ADVERTISEMENT

“He’s never hurt any one,” Vidro said. “He’s on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?”

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

Jericho’s coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” said his mother, Nicole Scott. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it. I’d rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner.”

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

“He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower,” Noble said. “There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport.”

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

“Facing that kind of speed” is frighteneing for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho’s mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

“I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho’s mother exhibited Wednesday night,” Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho’s parents Monday to discuss legal options.

“You don’t have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it’s wrong,” he said. “Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?”

kstater
08-25-2008, 07:33 PM
That's seriously messed up on the league's part.

chiefs1111
08-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Well,the Yankees really need some pitching,maybe he could sign with them. ... Seriously though,that really sucks for the kid.

Braincase
08-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Harrison Bergeron.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Interesting that this kid's team was already 8-0 and headed for the playoffs before the league decided he couldn't pitch.

This is probably one of those leagues where every kid is told he's "special," there are no "winners" or "losers" and everyone gets a trophy.

The pussification of America continues...

kstater
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Interesting that this kid's team was already 8-0 and headed for the playoffs before the league decided he couldn't pitch.

This is probably one of those league where every kid is told he's "special," there are no "winners" or "losers" and everyone gets a trophy.

Excellent point.

dj56dt58
08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
is he black, asian, or spanish? If so, lawsuit

evolve27
The kid's gonna be scarred for life.

Short Leash Hootie
It isn't messed up on the leagues part...THESE ARE 9 YEAR OLD KIDS! If he's that good, he should be playing against older kids...no 9 year old wants to face a MLB equivalent 100 MPH fastball...it's discouraging and does more harm than good...

Congrats, your kid is awesome...make him play a few levels up...we did it all the time in farm league when I was kid...put him against the 12 year olds...at 9, 40 MPH is just too fast. No kid will ever get a hit off of that and it's flat out discouraging for A NINE YEAR OLD KID...

Christ, people are so crazy these days...

I saw a 4th grade football game (my brother is in 6th grade) and a bunch of kids got no playing time...because they weren't good enough...IT'S FOURTH GRADE, EVERYONE SHOULD GET THE SAME PLAYING TIME...

I hate parents who live through their kids...it's pathetic.

kstater
08-25-2008, 07:43 PM
It isn't messed up on the leagues part...THESE ARE 9 YEAR OLD KIDS! If he's that good, he should be playing against older kids...no 9 year old wants to face a MLB equivalent 100 MPH fastball...it's discouraging and does more harm than good...

Congrats, your kid is awesome...make him play a few levels up...we did it all the time in farm league when I was kid...put him against the 12 year olds...at 9, 40 MPH is just too fast. No kid will ever get a hit off of that and it's flat out discouraging for A NINE YEAR OLD KID...

I saw a 4th grade football game (my brother is in 6th grade) and a bunch of kids got no playing time...because they weren't good enough...IT'S FOURTH GRADE, EVERYONE SHOULD GET THE SAME PLAYING TIME...

They shouldn't keep score either.

Hydrae
08-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I suppose they should have kicked out the kid from Mexico who threw the perfect game in the LLWS. He struck out all 12 batters he faced before the game was called under a mercy rule.

Of course that same kid got hit pretty good in the final game against Hawaii when he came in as a reliever. :)

RJ
08-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Adults always find a way to ruin kid's sports. If these were a bunch of kids out playing ball without grownups they'd find their own solution to the problem and it wouldn't even involve lawyers.

You know youth sports are way out of control when the attorneys are getting involved.

kstater
08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
So if a kid has exceptionally good hand eye coordination and hits a lot of home runs, should he be kicked out also?

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 07:50 PM
They shouldn't keep score either.

they are NINE...some kids are super good at age 9...most aren't...and most are only playing because they are forced by their parents...when I watched my brother play t-ball back in the day 90% of the kids were uninterested...

What's the best way for kids to lose interest...face the Nolan Ryan of little leagues at AGE NINE...

If he's so good, he can play with 11 or 12 year olds...

Plain and simple.

I saw a thread on here about watching his kid play tackle football in 2nd grade...

That's insane. 2nd grade tackle football?

Stuff like this disgusts me...stop living through your little kids lives because you didn't become a sports star...the beneficial thing for this "phenom" would be playing with older kids anyways. If you excel at school, what happens? You move up a grade...maybe two...maybe three...

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 07:50 PM

It's discouraging to your kid if you raised him to be a pussy.

Our biggest "rival" in little league had a kid like this, except this kid had a curveball. At 10 years old. Big-ass 12-6 sweeping curve.

And I ALWAYS looked forward to facing him, because I was taught that life is full of challenges - and not to back down from one.

We played 4 games against that team that year, and I went from looking foolish in the first game, to fouling off a few pitches and grounding out a few times, to getting a double in the gap against him, then, taking that curveball yard in the last game of the season.

I felt great. I took on a huge challenge, and succeeded. My overall stats against the kid didn't necessarily show it, but I gained a world of confidence from facing that kid.

What message does sitting this kid send?

"Hey, Bobby. When you're 35, and you're interviewing for that job on Wall Street, expect the company to just disregard the best applicants, because they're TOO GOOD."

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 07:51 PM
So if a kid has exceptionally good hand eye coordination and hits a lot of home runs, should he be kicked out also?

home runs are individual...a guy who pitches an MLB equivalent of 95-105 at age 9 doesn't need to be pitching...who is ever going to hit that? It's DISCOURAGING...winning and losing means VERY little at that age...they are there to have fun...that isn't fun. Bailing out, closing your eyes, and praying you don't get beaned isn't fun for a 9 year old kid just learning to play a sport...

If he's so good, and excels so much, he can play at a higher level...and so can the kid that hits a homerun everytime...that's what we did in farm league...there were three or four of us at age 11 playing with 13 and 14 year olds...that's a compliment if you ask me.

kstater
08-25-2008, 07:53 PM
So if a kid isn't that great at the 9 year old level, should he get to play 6 year olds to keep from discouraging him?

Chiefnj2
08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
"Jericho’s coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators."

That is the part that sticks out to me. Another team in the same league wanted him. If it was okay for the defending champion to have the kid, why isn't it acceptabe for him to pitch on the team he is on now?

They should let him finish out the season and then impliment a rule that says only pitchers who throw under 40mph can play in the the 8-10 year old league. If you throw over then play in the 11 year old division.

And what's with the coach who packed up his team and forfieted? If the kid is accurate and hasn't hit anyone then play against him. Imagine one of your kids gets a hit or two off of him, it would be great for their self esteem.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 07:55 PM
So if a kid isn't that great at the 9 year old level, should he get to play 6 year olds to keep from discouraging him?

ROFL

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 07:55 PM

Our biggest "rival" in little league had a kid like this, except this kid had a curveball. At 10 years old. Big-ass 12-6 sweeping curve.

And I ALWAYS looked forward to facing him, because I was taught that life is full of challenges - and not to back down from one.

We played 4 games against that team that year, and I went from looking foolish in the first game, to fouling off a few pitches and grounding out a few times, to getting a double in the gap against him, then, taking that curveball yard in the last game of the season.

I felt great. I took on a huge challenge, and succeeded. My overall stats against the kid didn't necessarily show it, but I gained a world of confidence from facing that kid.

"Hey, Bobby. When you're 35, and you're interviewing for that job on Wall Street, expect the company to just disregard the best applicants, because they're TOO GOOD."

Congratulations...we had a kid who was 11 years old and was 6' tall...no one ever touched him when he pitched and after a few games he was playing with the 13 year olds...

At age 9, you don't need someone like that scaring the shit out of the other, less talented kids...

Plain and simple. They are 9...they aren't in high school. Sports shouldn't start being ultra competitive until 6th, 7th grade...until then, every kid that signs up should be getting the same playing time.

I excelled at sports, at a young age and all the way through high school, fortunately I had coaches who were always fair to everyone on the team so even the "scrubs" felt like they were a part of the action...

Now I visit home to go watch some of my brothers football game...get there early and watch a 4th grade game where 10 kids don't see a lick of playing time...

are you kidding?

FOURTH GRADE KIDS...they put in the time at practice...and they don't see the field because they aren't good...at 10 years old...

It's unbelievable how caught up parents are in winning and losing at such a young age...it's stupid.

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 07:56 PM

no, but he should be ENCOURAGED by the coach(es) and given an equal amount of playing time as Johnny Home Run...they are 9 years old.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 07:58 PM
no, but he should be ENCOURAGED by the coach(es) and given an equal amount of playing time as Johnny Home Run...they are 9 years old.

I didn't see anything in that article that suggested that kids weren't getting equal playing time.

Oh, except for the coach that basically told his team that when they face adversity, to pack up your shit and quit...

Great message, Coach.

mdstu
08-25-2008, 08:00 PM

Let me guess.
America is full of pussies?

unlurking
08-25-2008, 08:06 PM
I don't believe he should be held out of playing, but IF THERE IS a more appropriate league based on skill and/or age, then I believe he should be forced to play in that division NEXT season.

Whichever coaches decide to forfeit against him the remainder of the season can have extra games while the other teams are in playoff games.

unlurking
08-25-2008, 08:07 PM
If he really were that bad? Sure. More than likely though, that would be more demoralizing then say, switching to try a different sport?

HolmeZz
08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
There are a bunch of little leagues in New Haven. I had never heard of this one, so I'm assuming it's a really awful league.

He's only 9 though. There should be a 12 year old league for him to move up to if he's any good.

Alphaman
08-25-2008, 08:13 PM
I have to agree with those that think the league is being incredibly STUPID. If this is truly a "developmental" league then don't have playoffs. To wait until the kid's team is about to make it to the playoffs is ridiculous to say he can't pitch.

It also doesn't make sense to say he has to go play against older kids. He has to hit also and may not be at the level of 11, 12 or 13 year olds to hit. I understand size limits in football, but skill limits.

If the kids can't hit him, teach them how to. Teach them to bunt on him.

RJ
08-25-2008, 08:14 PM

I think the 9 y/o who needs to play against 6 y/o's in order to succeed most likely needs to find an activity other than baseball and probably other than team sports.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I think the 9 y/o who needs to play against 6 y/o's in order to succeed most likely needs to find an activity other than baseball and probably other than team sports.

Absolutely.

kstater
08-25-2008, 08:16 PM
I have to agree with those that think the league is being incredibly STUPID. If this is truly a "developmental" league then don't have playoffs. To wait until the kid's team is about to make it to the playoffs is ridiculous to say he can't pitch.

It also doesn't make sense to say he has to go play against older kids. He has to hit also and may not be at the level of 11, 12 or 13 year olds to hit. I understand size limits in football, but skill limits.

It's easier and more convenient just to not let him pitch.

kcfanintitanhell
08-25-2008, 08:16 PM
It's just totally f**ked up. When I was 9 years old, in Iowa little league, there was a player on a team in our league, IIRC, whose name was Larry Bittner, who went on to play in the bigs for the Cubs as an outfielder, but back then, he was a pitcher. And when you're nine years old, batting right-handed, and have never seen a real curveball thrown by a left-handed pitcher, you don't know what to think. I came to the plate in the ninth inning, two outs, and watched three perfect curveballs go right by me...end of game.
I had all winter to think about that, and next summer I hit a two-run double off a left-handed pitcher that tried to serve up the same shit, though maybe not as wicked.
You learn from the best at the time.

morphius
08-25-2008, 08:17 PM

Isn't that also a good way to screw up a kids arm, I didn't think they wanted kids pitching a curve until they were much older.

kstater
08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Isn't that also a good way to screw up a kids arm, I didn't think they wanted kids pitching a curve until they were much older.

I believe they don't let kids pitch curves anymore in little league for that reason.
I could be wrong though.

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 08:18 PM
I think the league handled this unbelievably bad as well...don't get me wrong. It sounds like a bunch of way too competitive parents being stubborn and stupid and thus hurting all of the kids...that quote from the Jericho kid was just sad.

But he has no business throwing MLB equivalent 100 MPH heat to 9 year olds...put him with the older kids...

DT58HOF
08-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow!! are you serious? tell the kid he's to good? lmao
i hate these leagues that say everyones a winner and everyone gets a trophy,that teaches the kids nothing but to be a little baby. Then they go to high school and the parents are yelling little johnny should get to play,lol
If the kids are 9 and afraid of the pitcher, they really shouldn't be on a baseball field.
Now to football some people take it way to serious but kids around here start playing tackle football at age 5, the problem i have is the football leagues that have weight limits, they tell a kid thats in the 8th grade 175 he cannot play because lil johnny is 80 lbs but next year ,your the stud and lil johnny is home playing video games. Seriously let the kids play but come on if your kid is afraid of bigger faster stronger kids, theres always dance class!!

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Agree, 100%. Keep in mind, this was 25 years ago.

Back when there was no such thing as a pitch count. In LL or the Big Leagues.

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 08:20 PM

This is probably one of those leagues where every kid is told he's "special," there are no "winners" or "losers" and everyone gets a trophy.

What the league has done here with this kid is wrong .

As for the 2nd part of the comments, this wasn't tee ball, it was Little League, where you pitch the ball.

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
any parent who allows their kid to throw a curve ball before high school is dumb as shit...

a 9 year old with a curve ball is disgusting...that is so bad for his DEVELOPING arm it's not even funny...

If my kid, when I have kids, pitches (and I pitched in high school) he's not throwing any breaking pitches before he's playing varsity...maybe JV.

Dante Bichette has a PHENOM kid and when he was in the LLWS they were making big press about how he wasn't allowed to throw breaking pitches because Dad wouldn't let him...smart guy.

RJ
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM

If the other parents are worried about their kids' safety then I doubt they'll be thrilled about having them square up to bunt.

Just sayin' is all.

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
I am willing to bet 95% of the kids who face him bail out like crazy and just pray they strike out without getting hit by the pitch...

The guy hasn't beaned anyone yet because everyone is on the very edge of the batter's box praying they don't get drilled in the dome by a Nolan Ryan fastball...

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
If the other parents are worried about their kids' safety then I doubt they'll be thrilled about having them square up to bunt.

Just sayin' is all.

I agree, though their concerns are unfounded. The kid isn't wild. He's just fast.

kstater
08-25-2008, 08:24 PM
I am willing to bet 95% of the kids who face him bail out like crazy and just pray they strike out without getting hit by the pitch...

The guy hasn't beaned anyone yet because everyone is on the very edge of the batter's box praying they don't get drilled in the dome by a Nolan Ryan fastball...

:rolleyes:

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 08:24 PM

Or, he could just be accurate, as his coach points out... :rolleyes:

Quit talking out of your ass.

Joe Seahawk
08-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Sometimes in real life you are challenged. Deal with it.

keg in kc
08-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Not to take sides here, but pitching the kid against older players would be a challenge too.

DT58HOF
08-25-2008, 08:32 PM
a boy from my local little league this year at 9 tried to move up to the majors for 11-12 and the league would not let him, all of the teams would of took him 1st pick over all 11-12 year olds
he was clocked at 38mph his dad a former catcher in the Pirates system and former baseball coach at WVU
heres his stats this year

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=black><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=white><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cc3300 height=18><TD width=15># (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=999)</TD><TD width=30>Name (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=998)</TD><TD align=right width=25>AVG (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=033)</TD><TD align=right width=25>GP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=013)</TD><TD align=right width=25>GS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=014)</TD><TD align=right width=25>AB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=015)</TD><TD align=right width=25>R (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=016)</TD><TD align=right width=25>H (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=017)</TD><TD align=right width=25>2B (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=018)</TD><TD align=right width=25>3B (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=019)</TD><TD align=right width=25>HR (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=020)</TD><TD align=right width=25>RBI (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=021)</TD><TD align=right width=25>BB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=022)</TD><TD align=right width=25>K (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=023)</TD><TD align=right width=25>HBP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=024)</TD><TD align=right width=25>IBB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=025)</TD><TD align=right width=25>SB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=026)</TD><TD align=right width=25>CS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=027)</TD><TD align=right width=25>SH (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=028)</TD><TD align=right width=25>SF (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=029)</TD><TD align=right width=25>DP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=030)</TD><TD align=right width=25>ROE (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=031)</TD><TD align=right width=25>FC (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=062)</TD><TD align=right width=25>LOB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=032)</TD><TD align=right width=25>TB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=036)</TD><TD align=right width=35>OBP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=034)</TD><TD align=right width=35>SLG (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=035)</TD></TR><TR onmouseover="this.bgColor = '#C0C0C0'" onmouseout="this.bgColor = '#FFFFFF'" bgColor=#c0c0c0 height=18><TD>6</TD><TD bgColor=#dcdcdc>John Ackerman (http://www.leaguelineup.com/player_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&playerid=2743871)</TD><TD align=right width=25>.852</TD><TD align=right width=25>19</TD><TD align=right width=25>19</TD><TD align=right width=25>54</TD><TD align=right width=25>47</TD><TD align=right width=25>46</TD><TD align=right width=25>15</TD><TD align=right width=25>8</TD><TD align=right width=25>8</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>17</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>2</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>101</TD><TD align=right width=35>.890</TD><TD align=right width=35>1.870</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=white><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cc3300 height=18><TD width=15># (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=999)</TD><TD width=30>Name (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=998)</TD><TD align=right width=25>GP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=037)</TD><TD align=right width=25>GS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=038)</TD><TD align=right width=35>IP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=039)</TD><TD align=right width=25>R (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=040)</TD><TD align=right width=25>ER (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=041)</TD><TD align=right width=25> H (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=042)</TD><TD align=right width=25>BB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=043)</TD><TD align=right width=25>HBP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=044)</TD><TD align=right width=25>IBB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=045)</TD><TD align=right width=25>K (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=046)</TD><TD align=right width=25>CG (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=047)</TD><TD align=right width=25>W (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=048)</TD><TD align=right width=25>L (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=049)</TD><TD align=right width=25>S (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=050)</TD><TD align=right width=25>HLD (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=051)</TD><TD align=right width=25>BS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=052)</TD><TD align=right width=35>ERA (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=053)</TD><TD align=right width=25>PT (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=054)</TD><TD align=right width=25>B (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=055)</TD><TD align=right width=25>ST (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=056)</TD><TD align=right width=25>SB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=057)</TD><TD align=right width=25>CS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=058)</TD><TD align=right width=25>WP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=060)</TD></TR><TR onmouseover="this.bgColor = '#C0C0C0'" onmouseout="this.bgColor = '#FFFFFF'" bgColor=#ffffff height=18><TD>6</TD><TD bgColor=#dcdcdc>John Ackerman (http://www.leaguelineup.com/player_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&playerid=2743871)</TD><TD align=right width=25>12</TD><TD align=right width=25>12</TD><TD align=right width=35>41.0 </TD><TD align=right width=25>2</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>4</TD><TD align=right width=25>9</TD><TD align=right width=25>8</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>66</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>5</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=35>0.00</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>0</TD><TD align=right width=25>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

alanm
08-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I didn't see anything in that article that suggested that kids weren't getting equal playing time.

Oh, except for the coach that basically told his team that when they face adversity, to pack up your shit and quit...

Great message, Coach.
Exactly.

Stewie
08-25-2008, 08:42 PM
a boy from my local little league this year at 9 tried to move up to the majors for 11-12 and the league would not let him, all of the teams would of took him 1st pick over all 11-12 year olds
he was clocked at 38mph his dad a former catcher in the Pirates system and former baseball coach at WVU

<table bgcolor="black" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="white" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#cc3300" height="18"><td width="15"># (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=999)</td><td width="30">Name (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=998)</td><td align="right" width="25">AVG (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=033)</td><td align="right" width="25">GP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=013)</td><td align="right" width="25">GS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=014)</td><td align="right" width="25">AB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=015)</td><td align="right" width="25">R (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=016)</td><td align="right" width="25">H (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=017)</td><td align="right" width="25">2B (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=018)</td><td align="right" width="25">3B (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=019)</td><td align="right" width="25">HR (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=020)</td><td align="right" width="25">RBI (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=021)</td><td align="right" width="25">BB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=022)</td><td align="right" width="25">K (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=023)</td><td align="right" width="25">HBP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=024)</td><td align="right" width="25">IBB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=025)</td><td align="right" width="25">SB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=026)</td><td align="right" width="25">CS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=027)</td><td align="right" width="25">SH (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=028)</td><td align="right" width="25">SF (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=029)</td><td align="right" width="25">DP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=030)</td><td align="right" width="25">ROE (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=031)</td><td align="right" width="25">FC (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=062)</td><td align="right" width="25">LOB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=032)</td><td align="right" width="25">TB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=036)</td><td align="right" width="35">OBP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=034)</td><td align="right" width="35">SLG (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=OFFENSE&ss=035)</td></tr><tr onmouseover="this.bgColor = '#C0C0C0'" onmouseout="this.bgColor = '#FFFFFF'" bgcolor="#c0c0c0" height="18"><td>6</td><td bgcolor="#dcdcdc">John Ackerman (http://www.leaguelineup.com/player_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&playerid=2743871)</td><td align="right" width="25">.852</td><td align="right" width="25">19</td><td align="right" width="25">19</td><td align="right" width="25">54</td><td align="right" width="25">47</td><td align="right" width="25">46</td><td align="right" width="25">15</td><td align="right" width="25">8</td><td align="right" width="25">8</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">17</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">2</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">101</td><td align="right" width="35">.890</td><td align="right" width="35">1.870</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

<table bgcolor="white" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#cc3300" height="18"><td width="15"># (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=999)</td><td width="30">Name (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=998)</td><td align="right" width="25">GP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=037)</td><td align="right" width="25">GS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=038)</td><td align="right" width="35">IP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=039)</td><td align="right" width="25">R (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=040)</td><td align="right" width="25">ER (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=041)</td><td align="right" width="25"> H (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=042)</td><td align="right" width="25">BB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=043)</td><td align="right" width="25">HBP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=044)</td><td align="right" width="25">IBB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=045)</td><td align="right" width="25">K (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=046)</td><td align="right" width="25">CG (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=047)</td><td align="right" width="25">W (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=048)</td><td align="right" width="25">L (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=049)</td><td align="right" width="25">S (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=050)</td><td align="right" width="25">HLD (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=051)</td><td align="right" width="25">BS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=052)</td><td align="right" width="35">ERA (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=053)</td><td align="right" width="25">PT (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=054)</td><td align="right" width="25">B (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=055)</td><td align="right" width="25">ST (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=056)</td><td align="right" width="25">SB (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=057)</td><td align="right" width="25">CS (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=058)</td><td align="right" width="25">WP (http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&teamid=1364101&stats=PITCHING&ss=060)</td></tr><tr onmouseover="this.bgColor = '#C0C0C0'" onmouseout="this.bgColor = '#FFFFFF'" bgcolor="#ffffff" height="18"><td>6</td><td bgcolor="#dcdcdc">John Ackerman (http://www.leaguelineup.com/player_baseball.asp?url=dapperdanyankees&playerid=2743871)</td><td align="right" width="25">12</td><td align="right" width="25">12</td><td align="right" width="35">41.0 </td><td align="right" width="25">2</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">4</td><td align="right" width="25">9</td><td align="right" width="25">8</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">66</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">5</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="35">0.00</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">0</td><td align="right" width="25">10</td></tr></tbody></table>

Wow! I hope that kid is on the Royals' radar. :)

DenverDanChiefsFan
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Exactly - the leagues have rules. Just because opposing coaches are teaching their players to be gutless, doesn't mean the kid can move up.

My daughter plays soccer. She's 10 but is playing with the 11-13 year olds - one because she is good enough, but she wouldn't be eligible if she wasn't a year ahead in school. The league rulse state she is "grade" eligible because she is in 6th grade.

Buck
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Harrison Bergeron.

This doesn't need to end in blood.

I cant remember why I'm crying.

ohiobronco2
08-25-2008, 08:51 PM
What if the 9 year old kid does go up against 12 year old kids and gets dominated? Boy, that would be a blow to his self esteem. Let the damn kid pitch already. He doesn't have any control problems, clearly, since he hasn't hit anybody. You surely shouldn't stop a kid from pitching mid season, after the season is over with you change the rule, fine. But not in the middle of the season, when he's already established and part of a team.

chefsos
08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Wow! I hope that kid is on the Royals' radar. :)
Eighteen seventy slugging
66 punchouts
46 base hits
15 doubles
12 games started
10 wild pitches
8 kiddies drilled
FIVE WINS, NO LOSSES
4 hits allowed
3 years ahead
2 unearned runs
And an .890 OBP

RJ
08-25-2008, 09:03 PM
It occurs to me that this kid is just in the wrong league. Youth Baseball League of New Haven is probably not a part of Little League. If they were they would never ask the best pitcher in the league to stop pitching. Rather, they would have had him as the ace of the 9-10 All-Star squad while they looked forward to Williamsport in a couple of years.. They probably really are more developmental in their thinking.

Not meaning to defend them, they handled it badly. But young Jericho's parents should probably sign him up with a league that will be more appreciative of his skills and also a tournament team. Sounds like he's got some skeeelz.

chefsos
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Seriously, though, reading the stats of a nine year old boy seems... creepy.

RJ
08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Seriously, though, reading the stats of a nine year old boy seems... creepy.

Really? Cause I just added him to my keeper league reserve roster.

Is that wrong?

gblowfish
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
"Jericho, Honey. You have a phone call. It's a Mister Boras. He want to take you out for ice cream and a little chit chat...."

chefsos
08-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Really? Cause I just added him to my keeper league reserve roster.

Is that wrong?

Only if he tells...

DT58HOF
08-25-2008, 10:01 PM
lol, im good friends with his dad, as i said he coached at WVU, we hangout all the time and he gets me on the sidelines to all the WVU football games for free,lol

Silock
08-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Congratulations...we had a kid who was 11 years old and was 6' tall...no one ever touched him when he pitched and after a few games he was playing with the 13 year olds...

At age 9, you don't need someone like that scaring the shit out of the other, less talented kids...

Plain and simple. They are 9...they aren't in high school. Sports shouldn't start being ultra competitive until 6th, 7th grade...until then, every kid that signs up should be getting the same playing time.

I excelled at sports, at a young age and all the way through high school, fortunately I had coaches who were always fair to everyone on the team so even the "scrubs" felt like they were a part of the action...

Now I visit home to go watch some of my brothers football game...get there early and watch a 4th grade game where 10 kids don't see a lick of playing time...

are you kidding?

FOURTH GRADE KIDS...they put in the time at practice...and they don't see the field because they aren't good...at 10 years old...

It's unbelievable how caught up parents are in winning and losing at such a young age...it's stupid.

You are a gaping vagina.

DRU
08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
This is interesting because I actually had similar things happen to me when I was playing little league. I didn't start playing until the first year of kids pitch. I threw harder than everybody else and ran faster too.

All of the parents on the other teams started to complain just like this when I would pitch. They tried to enforce a rule that I couldn't pitch or steal bases!!! AYFKM!?

We simply didn't want to mess with all of the drama and quite frankly I didn't want to play in that league because all of the kids sucked. I don't agree with having to play older kids, though. If you're that good at 9 then the kid that good at 12 is gonna blow you away. Why is that fair???

What we wound up doing was talking to other leagues and wound up finding a traveling team that wasn't bound to all of the stupid "everybody plays the same time" crap and spread rules and mercy rules blah blah blah. It was SOOOO much more fun.

And you know what else? I got better because of it. It sucks that they won't let this kid pitch, but I say screw em. Get your kid in a better league with better competition. Not only will the kid have more fun but he'll get better faster.

Playing against kids that you just strike out every single time cuz they bail doesn't help you improve. If they fight it and win and keep him in that league I think that'd be a huge mistake.

Let the pussies play amongst each other and go find yourself a league worth playing in if you're better than everybody else. We got to travel the country playing in tournaments. We even played other countries like Brazil and Quam in a few of our tournaments.

If I'd have stuck in that crappy league I started in I wouldn't have had near the fun, near the exposure to the game, near the quality of coaching, etc. etc. etc.

Find yourself a better league (same age players) and let the "everybody gets to play" type leagues keep to themselves.

Phobia
08-25-2008, 10:58 PM

Please drop out of school and work in a restaurant the rest of your life. I wouldn't want anybody to run a really important decision which might require some logical brainpower past you.

RJ
08-25-2008, 11:36 PM
This is interesting because I actually had similar things happen to me when I was playing little league. I didn't start playing until the first year of kids pitch. I threw harder than everybody else and ran faster too.

All of the parents on the other teams started to complain just like this when I would pitch. They tried to enforce a rule that I couldn't pitch or steal bases!!! AYFKM!?

We simply didn't want to mess with all of the drama and quite frankly I didn't want to play in that league because all of the kids sucked. I don't agree with having to play older kids, though. If you're that good at 9 then the kid that good at 12 is gonna blow you away. Why is that fair???

What we wound up doing was talking to other leagues and wound up finding a traveling team that wasn't bound to all of the stupid "everybody plays the same time" crap and spread rules and mercy rules blah blah blah. It was SOOOO much more fun.

And you know what else? I got better because of it. It sucks that they won't let this kid pitch, but I say screw em. Get your kid in a better league with better competition. Not only will the kid have more fun but he'll get better faster.

Playing against kids that you just strike out every single time cuz they bail doesn't help you improve. If they fight it and win and keep him in that league I think that'd be a huge mistake.

Let the pussies play amongst each other and go find yourself a league worth playing in if you're better than everybody else. We got to travel the country playing in tournaments. We even played other countries like Brazil and Quam in a few of our tournaments.

If I'd have stuck in that crappy league I started in I wouldn't have had near the fun, near the exposure to the game, near the quality of coaching, etc. etc. etc.

Find yourself a better league (same age players) and let the "everybody gets to play" type leagues keep to themselves.

Well, I don't know if I agree with "Let the pussies play amongst each other" cause I'm not sure it's fair to categorize 9 year olds as pussies - hey, there's plenty of time for that later - but in general I agree with this post. basically, as I said before, the kid is too good for this league. They have no aspirations beyond basic development and some trophies. The parents need to move their little fish to a bigger pond.

And really, something is majorly f***ed when there are lawyers involved in a baseball league for 9 year olds. The after the game hot dog and soda should resolve any hard feelings among players and coaches. Parents, of course, might be another story.

Thig Lyfe
08-25-2008, 11:46 PM
That sounds like the plot of a Matt Christopher novel. And Jericho Scott is the perfect character name.

boogblaster
08-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I was banned from Boy Scouts for eatin' Brownies ....

Consistent1
08-26-2008, 12:17 AM
So, let's you put a 9 year old that sucks at pitching out there, he throws about 20 MPH. He goes against the biggest badass kid in the league. He is so good that his parents custom ordered him 5 Easton bats that are a blend of aluminum, titanium and a little carbon fiber. His first three AB's the ball lands about 40 feet over the fence. His parents are saying that's our kid right there. Then he comes up again and makes a tragic mistake, he hits a line drive. Great swing technically, but it goes up the middle and knocks the pitcher out. His dad would prolly be bitching him out about not getting enough "lift" on the ball, while the other kid is waiting for an ambulance. That may be a bit of sarcasm, but parents are pretty dumb about all that stuff. If the kid is good they bitch, if the kid sucks they bitch. Didn't that article say this was a co-ed league? That I will disagree with, but the kid should be able to pitch.

richpjr
08-26-2008, 12:42 AM
they are NINE...some kids are super good at age 9...most aren't...and most are only playing because they are forced by their parents...when I watched my brother play t-ball back in the day 90% of the kids were uninterested...

What's the best way for kids to lose interest...face the Nolan Ryan of little leagues at AGE NINE...

Plain and simple.

I saw a thread on here about watching his kid play tackle football in 2nd grade...

Stuff like this disgusts me...stop living through your little kids lives because you didn't become a sports star...the beneficial thing for this "phenom" would be playing with older kids anyways. If you excel at school, what happens? You move up a grade...maybe two...maybe three...

It disgusts me that we are raising an entire generation of pussies. How the hell can you jump to the conclusion that the parents are living through their kids because they actually want the kid to play with his friends against other kids his age? Not all smart kids move up grades for the exact same reason. Some kids are more talented or work harder than others and come out on top - deal with it. That's a life lesson everyone needs.

Phobia
08-26-2008, 12:48 AM
The best way for little kids to lose interest is when you remove the goal - to win. If there's no competition, what for Pete's sake is the point? I won't allow my children to participate in non-scoring leagues. It's the dumbest concept in the history of the world.

Fruit Ninja
08-26-2008, 01:38 AM
lol, when i played little league baseball i used to hit players on purpose. That way the guys at the bottom of the line up were scared shitless. lol I didnt do it every game, but i did it against the better teams.

I used to tell my catcher, I am hitting so and so" it was usually the 3 or 4th batter since they are the best hitters. By the time the 6-9 came up, i could see their knees shaking. hah

When playing competitively no matter what, you try to instill fear into them. Once you do, you got them beat.

Consistent1
08-26-2008, 02:02 AM
Here is the monster....

DRU
08-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Well, I don't know if I agree with "Let the pussies play amongst each other" cause I'm not sure it's fair to categorize 9 year olds as pussies - hey, there's plenty of time for that later - but in general I agree with this post. basically, as I said before, the kid is too good for this league. They have no aspirations beyond basic development and some trophies. The parents need to move their little fish to a bigger pond.

And really, something is majorly f***ed when there are lawyers involved in a baseball league for 9 year olds. The after the game hot dog and soda should resolve any hard feelings among players and coaches. Parents, of course, might be another story.

I was referring to the parents when I mentioned letting the pussies play amongst themselves. Should have been more clear.

Consistent1
08-26-2008, 02:08 AM
Hell, I don't think Pujols could get a grounder to go thru that infield if he drilled a 100 mile fastball! The "mound" must double as a sandbox when games aren't going on.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
08-26-2008, 06:28 AM
I am sure this is the tip of the iceberg - we get this shit up here ALL the time with hockey - all the parents - all politics - sickening....

Goapics1
08-26-2008, 06:30 AM

Excellent point.

cookster50
08-26-2008, 07:09 AM
You are a gaping vagina.

:LOL:

Chiefnj2
08-26-2008, 07:15 AM
The best way for little kids to lose interest is when you remove the goal - to win. If there's no competition, what for Pete's sake is the point? I won't allow my children to participate in non-scoring leagues. It's the dumbest concept in the history of the world.

At U6, U7 and possibly even U8 the goal should be to have fun and to develop an enjoyment of the game so that they keep on playing as they get older.

RJ
08-26-2008, 07:28 AM

I think a good rule of thumb would be to start keeping a scorebook when the kids are old enough to do it for themselves.

Mr. Plow
08-26-2008, 07:44 AM
There is way too much emphasis on kids starting sports as early as humanly possible. Shit, my wife asked me if we wanted to enroll our 3 year old into basketball, which I feel is too early for him - some kids, yes - but for my 3 year old, no way.

Tackle football starts in 2nd grade now. It's crazy.

As for the 9 year old, if he really is that good, he should move up.

Saulbadguy
08-26-2008, 07:56 AM
League officials say Jericho’s mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

“I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho’s mother exhibited Wednesday night,” Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

Sounds like the mother acted in a reasonable manner.

Lzen
08-26-2008, 08:18 AM

Plain and simple.

Don't be such a puss. My kid played tackle football from 2nd grade through 5th. It had nothing to do with living through my kid. I want him to succeed no matter what he does in life. And I do everything in my power to help him do that. That doesn't mean that I would ever force him to play, though. He chose not to play in 6th grade and I accepted that decision.

He gained a lot of confidence over those 4 years of playing tackle football. It did him a ton of good. My kid won't be part of your pussification.

Lzen
08-26-2008, 08:23 AM
...winning and losing means VERY little at that age...
You are really clueless. Those kids at that age want to win just as much as we, as adults, do when we play sports.

Bailing out, closing your eyes, and praying you don't get beaned isn't fun for a 9 year old kid just learning to play a sport...
They wouldn't do that if their coach was a man and not a mouse.

If he's so good, and excels so much, he can play at a higher level...and so can the kid that hits a homerun everytime...that's what we did in farm league...there were three or four of us at age 11 playing with 13 and 14 year olds...that's a compliment if you ask me.

I agree that a kid that good should move up levels. But only voluntarily. The league should encourage that, but not force it.

Saulbadguy
08-26-2008, 08:26 AM
It does kind of ruin the competitive spirit of the game if this kid throws a 40 mph fastball. Ultimately it is up to the league to decide.

Lzen
08-26-2008, 08:29 AM

are you kidding?

I saw that kind of thing, too. It is really pitiful. And the coaches responsible for that should be fired. I helped get the guy removed from our team after our first year when my son was in 2nd grade. The team consisted of 2nd and 3rd graders. He would let the backups play only if the game was well in hand. There were league rules that a player get a minumum # of plays(8) a game. One game, the bastard only gave my son about 2 or 3 and it was getting close to the end.

Of course, the game was still close and he wasn't about to take a chance of losing to play backups. That was enough for me and I let him know right there on the field. He tried to claim that my son had gotten the minimum plays but I knew better because I was keeping track. That guy was a real winner, I tell ya. :rolleyes::shake:

Lzen
08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Wow!! are you serious? tell the kid he's to good? lmao
i hate these leagues that say everyones a winner and everyone gets a trophy,that teaches the kids nothing but to be a little baby. Then they go to high school and the parents are yelling little johnny should get to play,lol
If the kids are 9 and afraid of the pitcher, they really shouldn't be on a baseball field.
Now to football some people take it way to serious but kids around here start playing tackle football at age 5, the problem i have is the football leagues that have weight limits, they tell a kid thats in the 8th grade 175 he cannot play because lil johnny is 80 lbs but next year ,your the stud and lil johnny is home playing video games. Seriously let the kids play but come on if your kid is afraid of bigger faster stronger kids, theres always dance class!!

The football weight limit is a safety issue more than anything. If a kid weighs as much as a grown man, that could pose a serious risk to all the other players. I would guess that a serious injury cause by a kid that large could lead to a negligence lawsuit. JMO

Consistent1
08-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Like I said before, he should be able to pitch. The pics do look a little on the trashy side, but hey. Here are a couple more. If it was Suzuki up there instead of Pujols with that infield, it would almost be like a bunt. Sorry can't help but make fun of that field. I am surprised that little shit doesn't trip in all the sand. If his parents care so much, why aren't they helping out with field maintenance? They are just thinking that there son will be the meal ticket for them. Next Doc Gooden, count on it. The shirts with the hands are classic. The dad looks like he is thinking about where he can sneak off to smoke a quick blunt. Haha. I wonder if there isn't more to this story.

Mr. Plow
08-26-2008, 08:39 AM
I saw that kind of thing, too. It is really pitiful. And the coaches responsible for that should be fired. I helped get the guy removed from our team after our first year when my son was in 2nd grade. The team consisted of 2nd and 3rd graders. He would let the backups play only if the game was well in hand. There were league rules that a player get a minumum # of plays(8) a game. One game, the bastard only gave my son about 2 or 3 and it was getting close to the end.

Of course, the game was still close and he wasn't about to take a chance of losing to play backups. That was enough for me and I let him know right there on the field. He tried to claim that my son had gotten the minimum plays but I knew better because I was keeping track. That guy was a real winner, I tell ya. :rolleyes::shake:

My son had to deal with that last year in tackle football. First year in tackle football for all the kids, and he singled mine son out saying he couldn't tackle, he was shying away from the hit, etc. I politely explained to him that all of the kids were doing it and if he had spent more than 1 hour the first practice working on tackling, maybe all the kids would know how to do it correctly.

The guy made my son feel like crap, wouldn't play him more than 3-4 plays a game, so I pulled him off the team and let the rec commission know about the coach.

Personally, it was new to all the kids. I knew my son wasn't the "star", but wanted him to get a little experience and learn about the game. Unfortunately, this coach made the game hell on him.

Lzen
08-26-2008, 08:47 AM

That was pretty vague. Threatening them how? With a lawsuit? Big friggin' deal. Now if she threatened to put a cap in dey ass, that's bad. ;)

Lzen
08-26-2008, 08:57 AM
My son had to deal with that last year in tackle football. First year in tackle football for all the kids, and he singled mine son out saying he couldn't tackle, he was shying away from the hit, etc. I politely explained to him that all of the kids were doing it and if he had spent more than 1 hour the first practice working on tackling, maybe all the kids would know how to do it correctly.

The guy made my son feel like crap, wouldn't play him more than 3-4 plays a game, so I pulled him off the team and let the rec commission know about the coach.

Personally, it was new to all the kids. I knew my son wasn't the "star", but wanted him to get a little experience and learn about the game. Unfortunately, this coach made the game hell on him.

Unfortunately, there are coaches like that everywhere. I knew my son wasn't the star. I just wanted him to get his plays. When I went over and chastized the coach, he tried to give some BS line about it being a safety issue. Oh really? So, it's a safety issue only on gameday when the game is close? Not when the game is well in hand or not during all the grueling 2.5 hour practices the kid had to endure throughout the week.

That was really my biggest issue. I feel like the kids should be rewarded with something for the work they put in all week at practice. Sure, the players who practice harder and are better should get a little more playing time. But that doesn't mean the backups should get little to none.

Luckily, the guy who ran the team (Buccaneers 4 grade levels - 2nd/3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade ), saw the BS and got rid of this guy the next year. We always seemed to have some issues with that kind of thing here and there, but nothing as bad as that first season.

My son ended up starting in his last 2 seasons. And it wasn't because of me as I hardly ever said much about his playing time. I always tried to encourage him to practice harder and earn his spot.

Mr. Plow
08-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Yup. The only way my son learned HOW to tackle, was because of me. He had two 2 hour practices a week, plus a 2 hour game on Saturdays. Coach complained to me about his "lack of tackling ability", I spent that week and the next week working with him on it. The game that Saturday, he had 4-5 tackles. The coach said to me that he was "really coming around" I pulled him out the next week.

bobbything
08-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I have this distinct feeling that Hootie was terrible at sports growing up.

RJ
08-26-2008, 09:27 AM

I'd love to know why she called the cops. What was she expecting them to do?

steelyeyed57
08-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't understand why 9-year-old leagues that try and get everyone playing time are considered p*ssy leagues. Does it ever occur to people that at young age, these kids are not fully developed and they develop at different rates? What are the odds that when all of his peers catch him, Jericho Scott is average at best? Many of the kids that were the best little league players turned out to be just average ball players by high school. In contrast, I wasn't one of the standout little league players, but by high school, I was considered very good. Imagine if I hadn't been given opportunities to learn the game? People forget that you change a lot from age 9 to age 18.

Rausch
08-26-2008, 09:38 AM
I have this distinct feeling that Hootie was terrible at sports growing up.

Irrelevant.

We are all equal.

Sometimes that means lifting people up above their capabilities and sometimes it means we have to trample people down to make sure they fit with with the norm.

It's all for the best...

Saulbadguy
08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I'd love to know why she called the cops. What was she expecting them to do?

Enforce her western bacon cheeseburger.

bobbything
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
sometimes it means we have to trample people down to make sure they fit with with the norm.

It's all for the best...
Karl Marx would be so proud.

Rausch
08-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Karl Marx would be so proud.

Knowing his nationality makes me pelch a little...

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Knowing his nationality makes me pelch a little...

check your smokes...

:D

kepp
08-26-2008, 10:27 AM
This is a pretty sticky situation whichever side you take. Back when I first started playing organized sports I wasn't doing it to "find out what I'm good at in life". I did it to get to play with my friends. My best friend growing up was 6' and almost 200 lbs in the 7th grade and he was always allowed to play football with us even though no one could really tackle him...and no one really cared that much. It made tackling players on other teams easier, really.

I guess I'd have to say that they should let the kid continue to play, especially if this is in the middle of the season. Maybe tell him to tone down his fastball and start developing other pitches. Pretty crappy for the kid that its being handled the way it is.

Garcia Bronco
08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
This is a pretty sticky situation whichever side you take. Back when I first started playing organized sports I wasn't doing it to "find out what I'm good at in life". I did it to get to play with my friends. My best friend growing up was 6' and almost 200 lbs in the 7th grade and he was always allowed to play football with us even though no one could really tackle him...and no one really cared that much. It made tackling players on other teams easier, really.

I guess I'd have to say that they should let the kid continue to play, especially if this is in the middle of the season. Maybe tell him to tone down his fastball and start developing other pitches. Pretty crappy for the kid that its being handled the way it is.

Man, these kids in the league had an opportunity to face great pitching speeds and to make their skills better in live competition. I guess not now. I feel sorry for them

Dartgod
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Man, these kids in the league had an opportunity to face great pitching speeds and to make their skills better in live competition. I guess not now. I feel sorry for them
No shit. I posted the following in the thread about doping up ADD and ADHD kids. It should be posted here as well.

Instead of bitching because one kid is more talented than the rest and teaching the kids that the best answer is TO WALK OFF THE FIELD AND QUIT (WTF??), how about taking them to a batting cage, dialing up the speed on the pitching machine and teach them the value of overcoming difficult challenges? I don't ****ing get it. :shake:

Chiefshrink
08-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Royals could use himROFL

RJ
08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
I guess this league is even more developmental than I thought. I was talking to a friend this morning who heard this story and happens to coach 9-10 year old Little League. In fact, he coached the All Star team that won the New Mexico state championship last month.

Anyway, he says that for a 9 y/o to pitch in their league they have be throwing at least 38 mph - he owns a radar gun - and that the better kids are in the mid-40's. On the All Star team he coached he had several 10 y/o's who were throwing 58-60.

Sounds like a pretty much rinky-dink league.....especially based on that pitchers mound/sandbox that someone mentioned.

CoMoChief
08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I threw harder than that at 9yrs old.

Theres a simple solution to this. Move him up in the age group that he plays in.

Micjones
08-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Something's really wrong when the word "pussy" is being used in relation to 9-year old children.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Something's really wrong when the word "pussy" is being used in relation to 9-year old children.

Without going back and reading the entire thread, I don't believe anyone called these kids pussies.

What WAS said, is that their parents are raising them to be pussies. Or quitters.

Or both.

I feel bad that these kids have such poor role models - teaching a kid to pack up his shit and quit?

Great message.

BigRedChief
08-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I've coached little league baseball at the "competitive" level and the "recreational" level. I was 6'0" tall in the sixth grade. So I know a thing or two about coaching and being better than the rest of the kids on the field.

When I was 9 year old I threw so fast players were scared of hitting against me. Of course it helped that I had control issues and would plunk a batter on purpose to scare them. Batters would have to be forced into the batters box crying by their coaches etc. My mom brought a birth certificate to every game. Every year the league wanted a new birth certificate from the state.

After I broke a kids arm(it wasn't thrown at him on purpose) I never threw at another batter on purpose. I also stopped bullying kids at school and didn't allow it to take place in my presense anymore.

Baseball was a great catalyst in helping me improve my charector and to grow up. These Parents need to let their kids fail. As long as he doesn't hit anyone on purpose it will be good for the development to fail as a hitter and as a developing person.

luv
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
As long as he doesn't hit anyone on purpose it will be good for the development to fail as a hitter and as a developing person.

It's not like anyone who can't hit against him is the odd man out. Think about developing batters that can hit against him. Also character building is not walking away just because something's too hard.

Chiefnj2
08-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Is 40 mph really excessive for his age? How fast do most kids throw at age 9-10?

kepp
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Is 40 mph really excessive for his age? How fast do most kids throw at age 9-10?

I don't know about baseball, but how much you wanna bet I can throw this football over those mountains?

RJ
08-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Read post #101. I got the info from the closest person I know to being an "expert" on the subject.

BigRedChief
08-26-2008, 01:35 PM
In competitive baseball here in the KC area as a general rule the "average" pitcher will throw between these upper and lower ranges.

9 30- 45 mph
10 40-60 mph
11 45-65 mph
12 50-65mph
13 50-65 mph
14 55-70 mph
15 60-75 mph
16 65-80 mph

Mr. Laz
08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
might of been better if they had just had a private meeting and seen if the child and his parents would of been ok with moving up to the 10 year age league.

the kid faces better competition and will continue to learn and the 9 year old league can be competitive too.

:shrug:

Calcountry
08-26-2008, 02:31 PM
A poll of the upset parents showed that their first choice for Pres was Hillary, but they will jump on board for Obama as the pussification of America gets going full steam.

BigRedChief
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
might of been better if they had just had a private meeting and seen if the child and his parents would of been ok with moving up to the 10 year age league.

the kid faces better competition and will continue to learn and the 9 year old league can be competitive too.

:shrug:
Around here most USSSA tournaments are in 2 year age groups. 6-8, 9-10 etc.

RJ
08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
A poll of the upset parents showed that their first choice for Pres was Hillary, but they will jump on board for Obama as the pussification of America gets going full steam.

Here now, keep that stuff in the DC kids baseball thread!

Mr. Laz
08-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Around here most USSSA tournaments are in 2 year age groups. 6-8, 9-10 etc.
i dunno .... just saying there had to be a better option

dirk digler
08-26-2008, 04:15 PM

Sounds like something ROYC would be proud of

Phobia
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I like their trash-talking shirts. Classy.

I'll bet they're the morons screaming and carrying on in the stands. The kid probably got the heave-ho not because of his fastball but because of his ridiculous parents.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 04:24 PM
I like their trash-talking shirts. Classy.

I'll bet they're the morons screaming and carrying on in the stands. The kid probably got the heave-ho not because of his fastball but because of his ridiculous parents.

That would explain why they let the kid play 8 games before pitching a bitch.

Still doesn't make it right.

Phobia
08-26-2008, 04:32 PM
That would explain why they let the kid play 8 games before pitching a bitch.

Still doesn't make it right.

I don't see anything wrong with being proud of your kids, especially if your kid is a good player. I don't think there's anything wrong with puffing up your chest when your child does well, pointing the kid out, and saying "that's my kid". I just think trash-talking t-shirts for little kids is taking it quite a bit too far.

If the other kids can't hit him then those kids need to be spending more time in the batting cages improving their skills. You don't see MLB canceling games after no-hitters.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't see anything wrong with being proud of your kids, especially if your kid is a good player. I don't think there's anything wrong with puffing up your chest when your child does well, pointing the kid out, and saying "that's my kid". I just think trash-talking t-shirts for little kids is taking it quite a bit too far.

If the other kids can't hit him then those kids need to be spending more time in the batting cages improving their skills. You don't see MLB canceling games after no-hitters.

Agree on all counts.

Frankm942
08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Great lesson for the other kids, instead of working harder and longer and putting in that extra effort like going to the batting cages a little more or staying longer, they just taught those kids how to go around the obstacles. Hey little Johnny and little Scotty its not fair that one of your peers is better then you so instead of working hard and overcoming the obstacle lets find a cowardly way around it, hats off to you league managers and the coach that that let his team forfeit and walk off the field, you guys have taught these kids a great lesson instead of taking a chance and trying hard lets do it the easy way, really how pathetic can you get, you should be ashamed of yourselves. And for the kid that throws a 40 MPH fastball don’t let these jerks discourage you, hang in there and never give up especially to a pathetic bunch like the league officials and coaches.

Duck Dog
08-26-2008, 04:54 PM
The league handled this situation as poorly as they possibly could. That being said, if the kid is that good he should move up in competition. My nephew played on a traveling team and this kid should too.

As for the coach who forfeited, he should be fired by the parents of his team for teaching them such a bad lesson and for being a horrible example to follow.

RJ
08-26-2008, 04:58 PM

No, but they did change the rules because of Bob Gibson.

Valiant
08-26-2008, 05:00 PM
It does kind of ruin the competitive spirit of the game if this kid throws a 40 mph fastball. Ultimately it is up to the league to decide.

Yes but not at the end of the season when the playoffs are starting..

They can do it at the beginning of the year or next year.. If they do not have a mph limit, then this is just rival coaches whining...