PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Obama assassination plot foiled

banyon
08-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Possible Obama Assassination Plot Investigated By Colorado Police: Report
August 25, 2008 08:20 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/25/obama-assassination-plot_n_121293.html

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/35829/thumbs/s-OBAMA-large.jpg

***UPDATE*** The Denver Post reports that authorities will hold a press conference tomorrow to discuss the disruption of a possible Obama assassination plot:

Federal authorities have scheduled a press conference for Tuesday afternoon amid reports that a fortunate traffic stop by Aurora Police may have disrupted an assassination attempt against Barack Obama.

The Rocky Mountain News reports that police in Colorado are investigating a possible plot to assassinate Barack Obama:

Law enforcement authorities have arrested two men, and several law enforcement sources say the investigation is looking into whether the men intended to harm presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.
According to multiple sources, Aurora police made a routine traffic stop Sunday morning at 2:38 a.m. The Secret Service says two rifles were found in the car along with methamphetamine. Another law enforcement source says he was told at least one of the rifles was a "sniper rifle."

A second source told CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass authorities told officers they are concerned they may have come upon a possible "assassination plot."

Donger
08-25-2008, 08:42 PM
I'll bet you they are from the Springs.

That being said, I'm glad that caught these f*cks.

banyon
08-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Actually, I'm not so sure. Most of the meth addicts are armed that I run into.

Donger
08-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Huh?

banyon
08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Huh?

Well, other than the facts that they were on meth and armed, I'm not sure what else they were doing from this article.

Of course there may be ample other evidence that law enforcement doesn't wish to reveal if it is an ongoing investigation.

DeezNutz
08-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Very fortuitous stop. Good to hear.

Donger
08-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Well, other than the facts that they were on meth and armed, I'm not sure what else they were doing from this article.

Of course there may be ample other evidence that law enforcement doesn't wish to reveal if it is an ongoing investigation.

They are probably a little tense, considering. Invesco Field doesn't have a roof.

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 08:49 PM
So far there is no info that says they were ........ Nice job by the press saying , possible. Let's let the whole world know this .

Now , the 2 guys were stupid to start with.

Donger
08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
DENVER -- Authorities say they have arrested a man after a routine traffic stop in Aurora and are investigating him for possible methamphetamine and firearms violations.

Aurora Police Detective Marcus Dudley said Monday that 28-year-old Tharin Robert Gartrell was arrested early Sunday. FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright said Gartrell is under investigation on drug and weapons charges.

Wright said the FBI is investigating reports in some Denver media that Gartrell may have made threats against Sen. Barack Obama, who will be in Denver this week to accept the Democratic nomination for president.

She declined to elaborate. The Joint Information Center, a command set up by Denver, state and federal authorities to field media inquiries during the Democratic convention, said it had no immediate comment.

U.S. Attorney Troy Eid released a statement confirming the arrests had been made, but refused to comment on any possible assassination plot.

Eid said he would have a news conference Monday night to discuss the arrest further.

banyon
08-25-2008, 08:50 PM
They are probably a little tense, considering. Invesco Field doesn't have a roof.

It's fairly exposed compared to the last few sites. That's for sure.

HolmeZz
08-25-2008, 08:51 PM
So far there is no info that says they were ........ Nice job by the press saying , possible. Let's let the whole world know this .

You are amazing.

And not in a good way.

banyon
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=80822&stc=1&d=1219715467

Whoa, dude could definitely be a Log Cabin Republican.

Donger
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
"Law enforcement in Denver is in the process of finding out if the reported threats to Obama were valid. "It could also turn out that these were nothing but a bunch of knuckleheads, meth heads," the official said."

Donger
08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
"The arrests went down yesterday. The TV station says sources said "Two of the men had tattoos and jewelry popular with white supremacists."

banyon
08-25-2008, 08:55 PM
"The arrests went down yesterday. The TV station says sources said "Two of the men had tattoos and jewelry popular with white supremacists."

Ok. We in the business call that "motive".

Donger
08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok. We in the business call that "motive".

DENVER (CBS4) ― CBS4 has now learned at least four people are under arrest in connection with a possible plot to kill Barack Obama at his Thursday night acceptance speech in Denver. All are being held on either drug or weapons charges.

CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass reported one of the suspects told authorities they were "going to shoot Obama from a high vantage point using a ... rifle … sighted at 750 yards."

Law enforcement sources tell Maass that one of the suspects "was directly asked if they had come to Denver to kill Obama. He responded in the affirmative."

The story began emerging Sunday morning when Aurora police arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. He was driving a rented pickup truck in an erratic manner according to sources.

Sources told CBS4 police found two high-powered, scoped rifles in the car along with camouflage clothing, walkie-talkies, a bulletproof vest, a spotting scope, licenses in the names of other people and methamphetamine. One of the rifles is listed as stolen from Kansas.

Subsequently authorities went to the Cherry Creek Hotel to contact an associate of Gartrell's. But that man, who was wanted on numerous warrants, jumped out of a sixth floor hotel window. Law enforcement sources say the man broke an ankle in the fall and was captured moments later. Sources say he was wearing a ring with a swastika, and is thought to have ties to white supremacist organizations.

A third man -- an associate of Gartrell and the hotel jumper was also arrested. He told authorities that the two men "planned to kill Barack Obama at his acceptance speech."

That man, along with a woman, are also under arrest.

The Secret Service, FBI, ATF and the joint terrorism task force are all investigating the alleged plot.

The U.S. Attorney in Denver has scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon.

CBS4 will have new details on this developing story at 10pm.

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
You are amazing.

And not in a good way.

You too, always jumping to conclusions of what, maybe, possible, etc. The stupid people are innocent until proven guilty, the leading story painted an uglier picture than what it could possibly be,a couple of stupid knuckleheads.

Let hear your reasons why they are planning an assassination on BHO ?

Now if they uncover the info that it was an assassination , hang em ..... but until then, treat it like any other stupid crime, not just because " The One " was going to be in Dungver.

Friendo
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
DENVER (CBS4) ― CBS4 has now learned at least four people are under arrest in connection with a possible plot to kill Barack Obama at his Thursday night acceptance speech in Denver. All are being held on either drug or weapons charges.

CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass reported one of the suspects told authorities they were "going to shoot Obama from a high vantage point using a ... rifle … sighted at 750 yards."

Law enforcement sources tell Maass that one of the suspects "was directly asked if they had come to Denver to kill Obama. He responded in the affirmative."

The story began emerging Sunday morning when Aurora police arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. He was driving a rented pickup truck in an erratic manner according to sources.

Sources told CBS4 police found two high-powered, scoped rifles in the car along with camouflage clothing, walkie-talkies, a bulletproof vest, a spotting scope, licenses in the names of other people and methamphetamine. One of the rifles is listed as stolen from Kansas.

Subsequently authorities went to the Cherry Creek Hotel to contact an associate of Gartrell's. But that man, who was wanted on numerous warrants, jumped out of a sixth floor hotel window. Law enforcement sources say the man broke an ankle in the fall and was captured moments later. Sources say he was wearing a ring with a swastika, and is thought to have ties to white supremacist organizations.

A third man -- an associate of Gartrell and the hotel jumper was also arrested. He told authorities that the two men "planned to kill Barack Obama at his acceptance speech."

The Secret Service, FBI, ATF and the joint terrorism task force are all investigating the alleged plot.

The U.S. Attorney in Denver has scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon.

wow--move the ropes back for sure.

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 09:02 PM

This is not good, anyway you wish to read it. Again, if true, hang em .....

Donger
08-25-2008, 09:02 PM
wow--move the ropes back for sure.

Move the f*cking speech back to the Pepsi Center.

Jesus...

Friendo
08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Move the f*cking speech back to the Pepsi Center.

Jesus...

"ropes" referring to such security measures

Adept Havelock
08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
You too, always jumping to conclusions of what, maybe, possible, etc. The stupid people are innocent until proven guilty, the leading story painted an uglier picture than what it could possibly be,a couple of stupid knuckleheads.

:spock:

Now if they uncover the info that it was an assassination , hang em ..... but until then, treat it like any other stupid crime, not just because " The One " was going to be in Dungver.

Pitt Gorilla
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM

Now if they uncover the info that it was an assassination , hang em ..... but until then, treat it like any other stupid crime, not just because " The One " was going to be in Dungver.Um, at least one admitted as much. Is that "jumping to conclusions?"

Donger
08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
"ropes" referring to such security measures

Yes, I know. Move the speech back to the Pepsi Center, which is more secure.

Friendo
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, I know. Move the speech back to the Pepsi Center, which is more secure.

wouldn't make a lot of noise if it were a lone nutjob--this will story will have an interesting life.

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Um, at least one admitted as much. Is that "jumping to conclusions?"

Nope, that article was posted after I read the thread title, then as I was typing someone posted another article.

The thread title was very unclear of the intent, just that it was possible, which paints an even uglier picture to the story than what could have been a stupid incident.

As more investigations went forward, more info is released, ...... I agree, if this is in fact true, I have no mercy for them. Hang em ..... Hang em High.

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Nope, that article was posted after I read the thread title, then as I was typing someone posted another article.

The thread title was very unclear of the intent, just that it was possible, which paints an even uglier picture to the story than what could have been a stupid incident.

As more investigations went forward, more info is released, ...... I agree, if this is in fact true, I have no mercy for them. Hang em ..... Hang em High.

a sniper rifle sighted at 750 yards is somewhat damning

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 09:15 PM

Without a doubt ....... but it could have been some coyote hunters as well . Reason when I read the story of possible and the western plains , I gave them the benefit of doubt until further evidence was produced.

Again, if true, I have no mercy for them.......

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Without a doubt ....... but it could have been some coyote hunters as well . Reason when I read the story of possible and the western plains , I gave them the benefit of doubt until further evidence was produced.

Again, if true, I have no mercy for them.......

methed out hunters sniping coyote at 750 yards?

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
08-25-2008, 09:19 PM
These dudes just sound like they wanted to get crunk and have a party, man.

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
methed out hunters sniping coyote at 750 yards?

ROFL

Ha Ha .....nice one, but the story says they had them with them, not that they were high on it at the time. Now with that being said ,we can assume and it would be a safe bet that they were.

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Just asking here, does this give Obama more attention ?

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 09:25 PM

I bet it gets him the pope mobile on loan.

Ultra Peanut
08-25-2008, 09:27 PM

These guys have skills.

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Obama was getting enough attention, this gives him more, but not the coverage Obama wants.

The sad part is , there was no reason for this crap to happen, but it did, most of us were afraid it would. Reality is, it's is probably not the only attempt. We can only hope that it is the only attempt ......

ROYC75
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
These guys have skills.

Either he was stupid,honest or on meth, maybe all 3 .

Ultra Peanut
08-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Obama was getting enough attention, this gives him more, but not the coverage Obama wants.

The sad part is , there was no reason for this crap to happen, but it did, most of us were afraid it would. Reality is, it's is probably not the only attempt. We can only hope that it is the only attempt ......what the **** are you rambling on about

jesus christ

Iowanian
08-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I always wondered what Cory Haim was up to after Lost Boys

DENVER -- Authorities say they have arrested a man after a routine traffic stop in Aurora and are investigating him for possible methamphetamine and firearms violations.

Aurora Police Detective Marcus Dudley said Monday that 28-year-old Tharin Robert Gartrell was arrested early Sunday. FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright said Gartrell is under investigation on drug and weapons charges.

Wright said the FBI is investigating reports in some Denver media that Gartrell may have made threats against Sen. Barack Obama, who will be in Denver this week to accept the Democratic nomination for president.

She declined to elaborate. The Joint Information Center, a command set up by Denver, state and federal authorities to field media inquiries during the Democratic convention, said it had no immediate comment.

U.S. Attorney Troy Eid released a statement confirming the arrests had been made, but refused to comment on any possible assassination plot.

Eid said he would have a news conference Monday night to discuss the arrest further.

Logical
08-25-2008, 11:29 PM

Now if they uncover the info that it was an assassination , hang em ..... but until then, treat it like any other stupid crime, not just because " The One " was going to be in Dungver.Bitter Roy? Or is this some weird jealousy thing?

HolmeZz
08-25-2008, 11:32 PM

The sad part is , there was no reason for this crap to happen, but it did, most of us were afraid it would. Reality is, it's is probably not the only attempt. We can only hope that it is the only attempt ......

How do you manage to get through the day without a special helper?

Ari Chi3fs
08-26-2008, 12:01 AM
so would Hillary get the presidential bid then?

BucEyedPea
08-26-2008, 05:54 AM
I am really not surprised.

I fear for Obama though, with Biden as VP.
Because Biden's a hawk. Obama isn't.
So that to me is a motive.

Goapics1
08-26-2008, 06:02 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=80822&stc=1&d=1219715467

Whoa, dude could definitely be a Log Cabin Republican.

Kinda looks like Endelt...................

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9973/endscout23ab.jpg

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2008, 06:31 AM
all dem white people look alike

tiptap
08-26-2008, 06:46 AM
The consequence of having a physical plot and not just the hypothetical possibility, is that Americans will be less tolerant of open disparaging comments that can encompass entertainment for such an act that up to now have only been viewed as political hyperbole. It changes the limits on what can be tolerated in the political verbal debate

patteeu
08-26-2008, 08:27 AM
You are amazing.

And not in a good way.

Um, at least one admitted as much. Is that "jumping to conclusions?"

Why are you guys giving Roy such a hard time? Banyon said pretty much the same thing in his first post.

And Pitt, news of that admission was posted 1 minute before Roy's post so it's pretty ridiculous to hold him accountable for that. :shake:

patteeu
08-26-2008, 08:28 AM

If I had the paranoid mind of a 9/11 truther or a Bush Lied People Died nutcase, I'd guess that Obama's campaign put these guys up to it and then dropped a dime on them. :eek:

But I don't.

patteeu
08-26-2008, 08:29 AM
I am really not surprised.

I fear for Obama though, with Biden as VP.
Because Biden's a hawk. Obama isn't.
So that to me is a motive.

The tatoos and jewelry were neo-Nazi not neo-Con.

Radar Chief
08-26-2008, 08:37 AM

I just skimmed the articles, where does this “750 yard zero” come from? You realize that’s next to impossible, right?

Garcia Bronco
08-26-2008, 08:37 AM
These guys weren't going to hurt Obama. LMAO

banyon
08-26-2008, 09:22 AM
These guys weren't going to hurt Obama. LMAO

What?

ROYC75
08-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Bitter Roy? Or is this some weird jealousy thing?

Oh yes, that's it, that's the ticket to a show you know nothing about Jim.

Bitter ? Uh, No, Why should I be. The thread article said , a possible assassination , but it didn't mention any details that it was assassination attempt, which was misleading and that I was pointing that out. Then I was blasted for stating the truth because I felt that others here were assuming that I didn't care about it ?

Then a comment was made that I was always jumping to conclusions, Of which I contested , stating the truth that other poster were jumping to conclusions about it. Many of the posters assumed that it was an attempt before we had evidence, because of the article, the way it was written and worded at the heading.

I mentioned that it was stupid for them to have a rifle and meth, but that they were innocent of the assassination until proven guilty. But this is America, where we jump to conclusions and everybody is now guilty until proven innocent.

Then the story broke that there was some strong evidence that it was true, as much as a statement by one person that was arrested, so I mentioned to HANG EM HIGH, that this was a serious situation.

Now today , we find out that there wasn't enough evidence for an assignation ........ Again, we still don't know this is true or not but if this wasn't, a lot of hoo doo was made on a person that didn't need this crap, all because the presidential candidate was scheduled to be in town ( oh, did I mentioned because BHO is black and the arrested persons were white, even linked as possibly being supremacist), which is how many here and people across America perceived the incident . Again, guilty until proven innocent is the theme here .......

Now, again , bitter ? I guess I should post some pic's of my 6 wonderful, colorful grandkids for the world to see, after all, they are from the generation of " We Are The World ". All 6 of them either has a black / biracial mother or father. Yep, that's right, all 6 of them, with a 7th on it's way is just Obama. Ya know, I wouldn't take nothing for them .........FTR , We act and conduct ourselves just like real folk, normal people, kinda like the way the Obama family does .

Jealousy ? Of what ? Hell, I have 6 + mixed grandkids to his 2 .

I just find it rather funny when people think I'm bitter or that they think I'm a racist when they do not know me at all .

Radar Chief
08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I just skimmed the articles, where does this “750 yard zero” come from? You realize that’s next to impossible, right?

Anyone know where this “750 yard zero” comes from?
I’ve seen it mentioned on a couple of sites by individuals but don’t know where they’re getting it.

Garcia Bronco
08-26-2008, 10:07 AM
What?

They weren't going to hurt Obama. There is no way they could have. It's good they caught these gun toting drug addicts, but there is no way they could hurt Obama

ROYC75
08-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I’ve seen it mentioned on a couple of sites by individuals but don’t know where they’re getting it.

Only on here ........ that I know of .

J Diddy
08-26-2008, 10:24 AM

post 16 is the article mentioning it

BigCatDaddy
08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
They weren't going to hurt Obama. There is no way they could have. It's good they caught these gun toting drug addicts, but there is no way they could hurt Obama

No, because “The One” would raise his hands in all their glory and the bullets would stop in mid air and harmlessly fall to the ground.

morphius
08-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, Obama did piss of the Clintons, it was bound to happen...

j/k
Glad the caught the guys beforehand, that is the last thing we all need.

tiptap
08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
No, because “The One” would raise his hands in all their glory and the bullets would stop in mid air and harmlessly fall to the ground.

That would be how miracle believers think it works. In the real world, law enforcement does a good job.

banyon
08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

I guess I don't get this. I think history has shown that if someone is determined enough to kill someone, then it is definitely possible.

Garcia Bronco
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I guess I don't get this. I think history has shown that if someone is determined enough to kill someone, then it is definitely possible.

the only opportunity they would have is at Mile High and there is no vantage point to use a sniper rifle BUT(edit) from inside, which they weren't going to be able to achieve. I laugh at these guys and their dream of killing one of our leaders.

WilliamTheIrish
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM

You just described Catholics.

Radar Chief
08-26-2008, 11:26 AM
post 16 is the article mentioning it

Ah, thank you. Found it.

Quotes like the one above are leading to believe these guys were idiots and probably incapable of pulling an assassination off.
Regardless, it’s a good thing they’re off the streets. Hopefully they got caught before having a chance to procreate.

Taco John
08-26-2008, 11:28 AM
If I had the paranoid mind of a 9/11 truther or a Bush Lied People Died nutcase, I'd guess that Obama's campaign put these guys up to it and then dropped a dime on them. :eek:

But I don't.

There would have to be plausible evidence of that in order to qualify.

DeezNutz
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Can someone more familiar with the Denver area comment on this:

How were these individuals going to secure a "high vantage point" from outside the stadium? I'm assuming (or hoping) that it would be next to impossible to smuggle weapons into the facility. Are there surrounding buildings that have a sight-line onto the field? I wouldn't think this would be possible...

Fish
08-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Ah, thank you. Found it.

Quotes like the one above are leading to believe these guys were idiots and probably incapable of pulling an assassination off.
Regardless, it’s a good thing they’re off the streets. Hopefully they got caught before having a chance to procreate.

Now how the hell can they claim to know that the gun was sighted at 750 yds without shooting it?

This is silly....

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Shocking.

Donger
08-26-2008, 11:40 AM

How were these individuals going to secure a "high vantage point" from outside the stadium? I'm assuming (or hoping) that it would be next to impossible to smuggle weapons into the facility. Are there surrounding buildings that have a sight-line onto the field? I wouldn't think this would be possible...

No, I wouldn't think so. There are some tall buildings downtown, but they are probably a mile from Invesco. However, I'm not that familiar with the area.

DeezNutz
08-26-2008, 11:41 AM
No, I wouldn't think so. There are some tall buildings downtown, but they are probably a mile from Invesco. However, I'm not that familiar with the area.

Thank you.

It sounds like it would have been very difficult, if not impossible, for these people to carry out their objective, at least based on the info. presented. Good news in that regard, I suppose.

Still, open-air stadium? Yikes. Get somewhere more secure.

Garcia Bronco
08-26-2008, 04:07 PM

There is no high vantage point they could get to except from inside the stadium that would be an even close to reliable shot.

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/afc/invescomain2.jpg

Garcia Bronco
08-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Now how the hell can they claim to know that the gun was sighted at 750 yds without shooting it?

This is silly....

did you read the part where one guy got away and dropped 6 stories onto an awning and fled the scene? I just don't believe much of this story.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2008, 04:17 PM
The tatoos and jewelry were neo-Nazi not neo-Con.
LMAO

Maybe he was paid to knock him off. * wiggles brow*

Anyhow, not saying this incident here alone. More a could be.

Garcia Bronco
08-26-2008, 04:18 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/AER/DENVER_22x28~Dever-Broncos-New-Invesco-Field-Posters.jpg