PDA

View Full Version : Misc anybody have any experience

Friendo
08-25-2008, 09:12 PM
with the drug "Adderol"? One of my soccer players (age 12) is ADD--his mother told me today they increased the dosage to 220mg--the kid slept all Saturday, and missed a game yesterday. Is this a normal dosage?

Stewie
08-25-2008, 09:19 PM
I was curious so I looked it up. I think the kid is ODing if he's really taking 220 mg.

Recommended dosage for Adderall

Return to top (http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/rx/rx-mono.aspx?contentFileName=Add1008.html&contentName=Adderall&contentId=16#TOP)
Whether the problem is attention-deficit disorder or narcolepsy, the doctor will keep the dosage as low as possible.
ADDERALL
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Children 3 to 5 years of age: The usual starting dose is 2.5 milligrams daily. Each week, the doctor will raise the daily dosage by 2.5 milligrams until the condition is under control.
Children 6 years of age and older: The usual starting dose is 5 milligrams once or twice a day. Each week, the daily dosage may be increased by 5 milligrams. Only in rare cases will a child need more than 40 milligrams per day.
The doctor may interrupt therapy occasionally to see if the drug is still needed.

Mecca
08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
It makes people "pay attention" alot of people in college take it and it improves their grades.....now if you snort it, it's more addictive than heroine and every bit as bad for you.

DaKCMan AP
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
It makes people "pay attention" alot of people in college take it and it improves their grades.....now if you snort it, it's more addictive than heroine and every bit as bad for you.

Yeah, I've known people who've taken it to study all night long before an exam. Stupid, IMO.

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
I took one once my freshmen year in college and I was glued to my computer screen for 10 hours and finished my paper, and got an A...the shit works...

Friendo
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
I must've heard it wrong, but I did write it down---still, I wonder if an uptake creates that kind of severe sluggishness.

OnTheWarpath58
08-25-2008, 09:23 PM
One of these numbers HAS to be wrong.

The mother either mistook 220 for 20, or the article Stewie listed is wrong.

No way a doctor gives a kid over 10 times the recommended dosage.

Plus, if the dosage size is typically that small, that means the drug manufacturer is probably making pills in 5mg doses.

He'd have to take 48 pills for a 220mg dose.

Friendo
08-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I took one once my freshmen year in college and I was glued to my computer screen for 10 hours and finished my paper, and got an A...the shit works...

I can see how that would be helpful (and addictive) for some. ADD is an insidious handicap.

Phobia
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I should get some of that. I always start tasks and then never

Friendo
08-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I should get some of that. I always start tasks and then never

your wife says you need 220mg :p

Short Leash Hootie
08-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I can see how that would be helpful (and addictive) for some. ADD is an insidious handicap.

well...I could probably get a prescription but I'm lazy (imagine that, too lazy to cure my laziness)...spent $20 on one tablet and it did do wonders...I can see how some would get addicted...but I am not a big fan of drugs like this because I have an addictive personality and I don't like having bad habits. I already gamble, drink and procrastinate far too much.

BigVE
08-25-2008, 10:08 PM
From what I have been told, people with A.D.D. who take Aderol to bring them down a bit but to "normal" people it is a stimulant. I'm pretty sure that the dosage is high because of how it affects the ADD person. Not a pharmacist or Dr. , just going by a good friend who's daughter has used the stuff and he himself has used it as well. Either way, nothing to play with.

Groves
08-25-2008, 10:14 PM
http://askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=11522&name=ADDERALL%2010

badgirl
08-25-2008, 10:29 PM
My brother was on Ritilan when he was real young then adderol, he slept a lot and lost a lot of weight. My mom took him off of it because of him never getting hungry, he went down in weight so much you could see his bones. Not good, I refused to give it to my son when he was in 2nd grade, the teachers had a problem with him not paying attention in class and wanting to be the class clown, I beleive a lot of children are on medication when they don't need it , but because the teachers and parents would rather have them drugged up then to deal with discipline. IMO only, hope everyone doesn't get all pissy cause they have different opinions.

Otter
08-25-2008, 10:34 PM
My brother was on Ritilan when he was real young then adderol, he slept a lot and lost a lot of weight. My mom took him off of it because of him never getting hungry, he went down in weight so much you could see his bones. Not good, I refused to give it to my son when he was in 2nd grade, the teachers had a problem with him not paying attention in class and wanting to be the class clown, I beleive a lot of children are on medication when they don't need it , but because the teachers and parents would rather have them drugged up then to deal with discipline. IMO only, hope everyone doesn't get all pissy cause they have different opinions.

It's also a billion dollar a year business to have school psychiatrists, doctors and counselors push pharmaceuticals on children.

Between getting a hard every 10 minutes, discovering girls and trying to fit in I remember myself and every other middle school boy being a candidate for being drugged up.

The first person that recommends them to my kids is going to get a foot up the ass.

KCChiefsMan
08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

I don't know if it makes it more addicting, but I have snorted adderol a few times and the effects are much different. I had a few crazy nights after snorting that shit

QuikSsurfer
08-25-2008, 10:39 PM

Not true at all.

Only advantage to snorting it as opposed to taking it orally, faster acting.

I was prescribed 40 5mg tablets a month back in 04 -- These were key during finals week (especially the 30mg time-released capsules)

Dartgod
08-25-2008, 10:44 PM
The first person that recommends them to my kids is going to get a foot up the ass.
Which is exactly how my dad cured my "attention deficit disorder". After a couple of ass beatings I payed attention a lot better.

badgirl
08-25-2008, 10:45 PM
It's also a billion dollar a year business to have school psychiatrists, doctors and counselors push pharmaceuticals on children.

Between getting a hard every 10 minutes, discovering girls and trying to fit in I remember myself and every other middle school boy being a candidate for being drugged up.

I agree, when I was growing up the teachers were older women and men who had been teaching for years and years, now they are real young teachers right out of school and doesn't want to deal with their students. As I said when they told me joseph, my son, needed to be put on ritilan, I said I would never drug up my child and I never did, he done fine and graduated, he got in high school and was doing great, if I had put him on drugs in 2nd grade, whos to say what may have happened by the time he got in high school.

BWillie
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't know if it makes it more addicting, but I have snorted adderol a few times and the effects are much different. I had a few crazy nights after snorting that shit

Yeah? What's the difference? I only took it in college when I was doing finals and mid-terms.....the shit is amazing.

Had a friend one time tell me he was on adderall out at the bars, and I thought it was weird,...but he must have snorted it?

KCChiefsMan
08-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah? What's the difference? I only took it in college when I was doing finals and mid-terms.....the shit is amazing.

Had a friend one time tell me he was on adderall out at the bars, and I thought it was weird,...but he must have snorted it?

I guess it just hits you harder and faster at first

Otter
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I agree, when I was growing up the teachers were older women and men who had been teaching for years and years, now they are real young teachers right out of school and doesn't want to deal with their students. As I said when they told me joseph, my son, needed to be put on ritilan, I said I would never drug up my child and I never did, he done fine and graduated, he got in high school and was doing great, if I had put him on drugs in 2nd grade, whos to say what may have happened by the time he got in high school.

Another thing to consider:

When I was graduating college one of the paths I was considering was joining the military. One of the first questions the doctor at MEPS asked me was if I was ever on ritilan or any other sort of ADD medication.

I'm not sure how much things have changed since '98 - '99 but I'm pretty sure that was an immediate disqualification at the time. The military is a very viable option for middle class children who happen to be the biggest recipients of a medicated approach to adjusting to growing up.

I'm no angel when it comes to intoxication. I just have real problem putting kids on drugs to control otherwise normal adolescent behavior. There are times when it's needed but it's also being abused in many, many circumstances.

Dartgod, I got the same treatment and wouldn't change it for the world.

KCChiefsMan
08-25-2008, 11:07 PM

ya, it's a good party drug. kind of like a 4 hour line of blow

Friendo
08-25-2008, 11:17 PM

When I was graduating college one of the paths I was considering was joining the military. One of the first questions the doctor at MEPS asked me was if I was ever on ritilan or any other sort of ADD medication.

I'm not sure how much things have changed since '98 - '99 but I'm pretty sure that was an immediate disqualification at the time. The military is a very viable option for middle class children who happen to be the biggest recipients of a medicated approach to adjusting to growing up.

I'm no angel when it comes to intoxication. I just have real problem putting kids on drugs to control otherwise normal adolescent behavior. There are times when it's needed but it's also being abused in many, many circumstances.

I'm sure you know there's a difference between ADD and ADHD. the kid in question here has visible trouble with momentary recall (even in a sports learning environment) I can only imagine how difficult school must be for this kid. and he's a lower income AA child on the threshold of being "at-risk". He was off of it during the summer and I saw first hand how bad it can be. This one is certainly not a case of "drug em & lug em".

TrickyNicky
08-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I've seen people on speed, and I've seen people on Adderal. Same type of high, just milder. It's disgusting stuff.

Arrowhead Pride
08-25-2008, 11:49 PM
ADHD is the "horsing around" of 20 years ago.

BWillie
08-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I've seen people on speed, and I've seen people on Adderal. Same type of high, just milder. It's disgusting stuff.

I dunno, you must be doing different adderall. While I agree it's a knock off of speed. It just makes me not hungry, alert, and able to concentrate better. You wouldn't ever think I was "on" anything by talking to me.

TrickyNicky
08-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I didn't do it. I'm just relating my own experience. I've seen the effects of people on speed. I've seen the effects of people on adderal. I'm talking about people staying up three days straight with adderal. That kind of abuse starts to look similar to a hop head.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
08-26-2008, 06:33 AM

QFT - the overmedication of America continues.....

Mr. Plow
08-26-2008, 07:48 AM
My wife tells me I have ADD but I really don't......Hey look, a bunny!

Rausch
08-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Horrible medication.

I saw 4 kids at the school on different ADD/ADHD drugs and each one of them suffered for it. All four shrunk up like wrestlers 10 lbs over at a weigh in. Each one had medical releases that they didn't have to eat lunch.

DIDN'T HAVE TO EAT LUNCH because their drugs were more important.

That's ****ing sideways...

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Which is exactly how my dad cured my "attention deficit disorder". After a couple of ass beatings I payed attention a lot better.

I'm with you guys.

25 years ago, there was no ADD, or ADHD, it was kids being kids.

And when the kids took "being kids" a bit too far, Dad got involved.

To quote Denis Leary: "Looking back on it, I'm glad my dad beat the shit out of me, and I'm looking forward to beating the shit out of my kids."

Now you can't even touch a kid. I would have laughed my ass off if my father, instead of whipping me, had said "you're getting a time out."

What a ****ing joke.

Demonpenz
08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
My nephew was acting out in school 3 or 4 times a month. took him to a doc he qualified for some drugs he hasn't acted out once since. Even got a couple gold stars for the most quiet. I was proud of the little guy

Dartgod
08-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm with you guys.

25 years ago, there was no ADD, or ADHD, it was kids being kids.

And when the kids took "being kids" a bit too far, Dad got involved.

To quote Denis Leary: "Looking back on it, I'm glad my dad beat the shit out of me, and I'm looking forward to beating the shit out of my kids."

Now you can't even touch a kid. I would have laughed my ass off if my father, instead of whipping me, had said "you're getting a time out."

What a ****ing joke.
Yep. We're turning an entire generation into a bunch of pussies that won't know how to deal with adversity or challenges when they become adults.

Just like in that little league pitcher thread. Instead of bitching because one kid is more talented than the rest and teaching the kids that the best answer is TO WALK OFF THE FIELD AND QUIT (WTF??), how about taking them to a batting cage, dialing up the speed on the pitching machine and teach them the value of overcoming difficult challenges? I don't ****ing get it. :shake:

beach tribe
08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
I have done lots of drugs in the past. Not proud of it, just the way it is, and I would have to say that Adderol is one of the best...errrr.....worst drugs there is. I rate it right up there with coke, and meth. Actually it's just a legal cleaner form of amphetamine. Says it right on the side of the bottle. 30 mgs of this shit will blast better, and for longer than cocaine. It's addictive as hell, and I CANNOT ****ING BELIEVE THEY GIVE THIS SHIT TO KIDS. Hooks em while their young. A kid acts up in school, and they put them on hard narcotics. I hold most doctors in the same light as a crack dealer for this. It's disgusting.

MOhillbilly
08-26-2008, 11:00 AM
my old lady turned her kids into brats. then im the bad guy to her cause i make them listen and what i say goes.
same way my parents should have done with me:D

Rausch
08-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Yep. We're turning an entire generation into a bunch of pussies that won't know how to deal with adversity or challenges when they become adults.

It's ok.

Those docile sheep-workers will be employed by us soon.

They'll make great pets...

beach tribe
08-26-2008, 11:04 AM
My nephew was acting out in school 3 or 4 times a month. took him to a doc he qualified for some drugs he hasn't acted out once since. Even got a couple gold stars for the most quiet. I was proud of the little guy

Yay!! little johnny is doped up. Good for him!!!

They did this shit to me when I was 12. My dad told me that my teachers thoght there was something wrong with me(after he whipped my ass.) The only time my dad actually thoroughly explained something to me, and not just beat my ass. I never took one pill, and behaved myself for about a month. My teachers explained to my parents how I was so much better since I got the pills. That's when my dad showed her the bottle. The look on her face was priceless.

Demonpenz
08-26-2008, 11:05 AM
my old lady turned her kids into brats. then im the bad guy to her cause i make them listen and what i say goes.
same way my parents should have done with me:D

bratwursts?

Demonpenz
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Yay!! little johnny is doped up. Good for him!!!

They did this shit to me when I was 12. My dad told me that my teachers thoght there was something wrong with me(after he whipped my ass.) The only time my dad actually thoroughly explained something to me, and not just beat my ass. I never took one pill, and behaved myself for about a month. My teachers explained to my parents how I was so much better since I got the pills. That's when my dad showed her the bottle. The look on her face was priceless.

lol yeah the pills sure helped. Glad it helped you too

Molitoth
08-26-2008, 01:38 PM
One time I took some, mixed with heavy alcohol.... got into bed with this hot chick and couldn't get a stiffy....

That experience right there was enough for me...

haha, ya. =(

beach tribe
08-26-2008, 02:37 PM
One time I took some, mixed with heavy alcohol.... got into bed with this hot chick and couldn't get a stiffy....

That experience right there was enough for me...

haha, ya. =(

Minus the alchohol this shit makes you into a goddamned sexual tyranasaurus.

tooge
08-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Umm, let me try using that logic. Drinking tons of beer, eating 5 or 6 entire pizzas a week, and staying up all night got me a doctorate degree. It is actually hard work that gets you there. some require less sleep and others require more. In my opinion, parenting has alot to due with the increase in ADD type drugs since, oh, about the time most families went to dual incomes.

Demonpenz
08-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Minus the alchohol this shit makes you into a goddamned sexual tyranasaurus.

that's no fun tyranasaurus' arms are too small