PDA

View Full Version : Electronics HTC Dream - First Phone to run Android (aka "the Google Phone")

Fish
08-25-2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/first_android_phone_just_approved.php

Today, the news broke that the HTC Dream, the first handset to run Android (aka "the Google Phone") has been approved by the FCC.

(...)

That date seems to confirm that the phone will be released on November 10th.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2llGxzWXudw&color1=11645361&color2=13619151&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" height="344" width="425"></object>

A recent post in the unofficial T-Mobile blog, TmoNews (http://tmonews.com/2008/08/android-info-galore-2/), confirms that the HTC Dream will offer the following features:
Touch screen
Full Qwerty keyboard
3G/ WiFi
Full HTML internet capabilities
Easy access to all Google applications (Gmail, Gtalk, search)
Maps
Street view
YouTube
Phone
IM/Text
Email
Camera 3.0mp; no flash
Video (playback only, no recording)
Music player & 1GB memory card pre-loaded
Applications, all available in Google marketplace (icon on the homescreen)

BWillie
08-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Better than my Mogul. I can't even figure out how to get the GPS, youtube, or download music.

irishjayhawk
08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Right now, I think Android is pathetic. But it's really a side show.

It's going to come down to the Android development and release method versus Apple's development and release method.

Android, as it stands, has a lot of ground to catch up.

Mr. Plow
08-26-2008, 06:52 AM
I've got the Mogul.....Damn thing continues to lock up on me so I had to switch back to my Razor until my new Mogul comes in.

unlurking
08-27-2008, 04:25 AM
Right now, I think Android is pathetic. But it's really a side show.

It's going to come down to the Android development and release method versus Apple's development and release method.

Android, as it stands, has a lot of ground to catch up.
And if the iPhone 3G release and subsequent problems are any indication, catching up shouldn't be much of a problem.

Personally, I think the iPhone is rather pathetic with its abilities. Having to jailbreak a phone to install your own apps is quite pathetic.

irishjayhawk
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
And if the iPhone 3G release and subsequent problems are any indication, catching up shouldn't be much of a problem.

Oh, no doubt, that Apple has screwed up. I'm the first to call them out on their shit.

Personally, I think the iPhone is rather pathetic with its abilities. Having to jailbreak a phone to install your own apps is quite pathetic.

Do explain.

unlurking
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Oh, no doubt, that Apple has screwed up. I'm the first to call them out on their shit.

Do explain.
There are multiple jailbreak utilities that will "break" the restrictions inflicted by Apple, that will allow you to install 3rd party apps (outside of app store, etc), install custom ring tones, etc. In order to do half the things a WinMo phone will let you do, you have to void your warranty. BE ALL, END ALL, THAT IS THE F*CK Y'ALL from iPhone. Don't even mention cut 'n paste being a "minor" priority. That is absof*ckinglutely the most rif*ckulous thing I have ever heard regarding a "PDA/SMART" phone. That's like saying implementing a contact list on basic cell phone is a minor priority. If you have never actually needed cut 'n paste, then you don't need an advanced OS, because every basic RAZR will cover your needs and you are just buying a name because it is fashionable. Everything (AND I MEAN ABSOLUTELY F*CKING EVERYTHING INCLUDING A F*CKING TOUCH SCREEN) you can do with the iPhone you have been able to do for YEARS with WinMo and add on options.

Oh wait, iPhone "just works".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA
No shit you say?

This is coming from a Mac owner (this post being written on a MBP 15.4), so NOT an anti-Mac fanboy.

Windows Mobile is EXACTLY like desktop windows. It is HORRIBLY F*CKING unstable, and basically, shit! I am buying a new phone in the next few months, and so far, I am focused on the Raphael or the SEX1, both running WinMo (and both from HTC strangely enough).

Let's take an honest look at the mobile OS market...

Palm
ABSOLUTELY LOVE PALM OS ON PHONES!!!!!! Unfortunately, 3rd party app support is ****ing shit. If it wasn't a Palm product, you either paid a shitload for it, or it didn't work.

WinMo
Tends to require reboots as often as your PC (daily?). Completely sucks, considering your basic nokia no-frills phone will average 365+ days of uptime. However, it has 3rd party apps coming OUT THE ASSSSSS!!! Half of them suck of course, but the options surpass all other phone OS options combined.

Symbian
Over theorized, under implemented. Great base OS, never fully realized. Very sad. I still have dreams of the Nokia 9X00 series (starting with the movie Saint).

Android
LINUX ON MY PHONE, OMG WOOT!!!!!! I'll admit, I have been waiting for this since my Sharp Zaurus and VOIP decided the world was ripe for the plucking! (first Android phone, the Dream, is also from HTC! Strong stock buy?)

OK, back to my rambling.
(Warning, I am drinking)

Anyways, I don't mean to bag on the iPhone "too" much. I am after all a Mac user. Unfortunately I am the Mac user that has sent mutliple emails to Apple telling them I think their advertising makes their power users look like gaytarded cockfluffers, which meant I was likely to go back to linux for my next laptop purchase.

(tangent)
Does anyone else use a Mac for a base platform to support every day admin type functions (office, email, web, etc.), plus wanting a DEVELOPMENT platform that doesn't requiring BUYING compilers?!?!

F*CK!!!

Linux is the perfect development platform, but in order to operate as an everday personal desktop platform it can require a lot of work in maintenance. Mac was the PERFECT solution. With fink, I have just about everything I need.

Just a few months after I buy my MBP (and am LOVING it), they have a new commercial about how cool a gaytarded f*cking phot album is compared to a C++ book.

EXF*CKINGSCUSE ME?!?!?!?! Make fun of programming languages because they are not as creative as your GAYTARDED HIPPIE LIBERAL PUSSY ASS F*CKING photo album creator?!?!?!?!

F*ck Apple. The switch to OS X awoke a whole new corp of Apple followeres (*nix fans first), while the closed platform approach to the iPhone is the anithesis of the average *nix fan.

If you couldn't tell, I will NOT be buying another Mac again. I really do love OS X, but the hardware tax is really not worth it, and Apple has shown there tru colors regarding open platforms

irishjayhawk
08-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I was making sure you were aware of the App Store and not forgetting that it opened.

We'll see who's system wins out. Currently, my bet is on Apple. Why? Because it's the same sort of analogy with the desktop market. Apple is making clear inroads into Microsoft's dominance. How? Closed system, tight integration, making things simply work.

Distribution wise, I would agree that this closed system is not the best. In fact, I think they really should allow the user to install their applications from wherever they want. Just like you can on the Mac.

In essence, they need to take Mobile OSX and open it up to what OSX is. They don't have an app store for the Mac as a computer. They don't need one for the mobile computer.

Braincase
08-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Funny about the Windows Mobile comments. I've had a Sprint phone running Windows Mobile for two years, and I've had to reboot it maybe twice.

irishjayhawk
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Funny about the Windows Mobile comments. I've had a Sprint phone running Windows Mobile for two years, and I've had to reboot it maybe twice.

I've heard it's stable and I've heard it's not.

But what I have always heard is that it sucks.

phillip
08-28-2008, 04:55 PM
unlurking,
How long has it been since you used a Windows computer consistently? I agree with you on Windows Mobile, my Treo 800W with 6.1 locks up about once a week and needs to be reset.

However, I never need to reset my Windows computer. I don't know anybody who locks up their PC and needs to reset anywhere near daily.

unlurking
08-29-2008, 04:41 AM
I was making sure you were aware of the App Store and not forgetting that it opened.

We'll see who's system wins out. Currently, my bet is on Apple. Why? Because it's the same sort of analogy with the desktop market. Apple is making clear inroads into Microsoft's dominance. How? Closed system, tight integration, making things simply work.

Distribution wise, I would agree that this closed system is not the best. In fact, I think they really should allow the user to install their applications from wherever they want. Just like you can on the Mac.

In essence, they need to take Mobile OSX and open it up to what OSX is. They don't have an app store for the Mac as a computer. They don't need one for the mobile computer.
Sorry for the rant. I had more rum then is safe for human consumption. (ugh)

No idea where this came from.

I think we pretty much agree on everything...

Android has the better potential due to being open, while iPhone will gain market share more rapidly following the "it just works" mantra of most things Apple. I think this was much more true with the first release, but I've met a lot of disappointed people with the 3g.

However, I think Android will surprise a lot of people. I think the Dream will be T-Mobile's new Sidekick. IMO, the Sidekick was the first iPhone, in the fact that every one new what one was, and had friends who had one, etc. It had the same "new hotness" effect that the iPhone has now. I'm going to bet it also comes in at $100 or less price point.

unlurking
08-29-2008, 04:46 AM
Which version are you on? My current phone is still on 5 (althought a large patch/service pack was applied about 2 years ago). I've heard 6 is much better.

I'm also guessing that like desktop Windows, stability is also tied to what 3rd party apps you use. I've used some that forced a daily reboot, while normally I probably go about monthly between reboots.

unlurking
08-29-2008, 04:51 AM
unlurking,
How long has it been since you used a Windows computer consistently? I agree with you on Windows Mobile, my Treo 800W with 6.1 locks up about once a week and needs to be reset.

However, I never need to reset my Windows computer. I don't know anybody who locks up their PC and needs to reset anywhere near daily.
phillip,

Sad to say I will be renewing my MCSE (from 1998) to support a customer, but basically had been a LONG time until the last few months. I know Windows isn't really as bad as I made it sound. The last time I used Windows as my primary OS was NT 4.0 WKS though, so yeah, it used to be absolutley freaking horrible!

Anyway, for that post, I was admittedly trashed beyond belief and my passionate biases were much louder than my honest opinions.

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Sorry for the rant. I had more rum then is safe for human consumption. (ugh)

No idea where this came from.

I think we pretty much agree on everything...

Android has the better potential due to being open, while iPhone will gain market share more rapidly following the "it just works" mantra of most things Apple. I think this was much more true with the first release, but I've met a lot of disappointed people with the 3g.

However, I think Android will surprise a lot of people. I think the Dream will be T-Mobile's new Sidekick. IMO, the Sidekick was the first iPhone, in the fact that every one new what one was, and had friends who had one, etc. It had the same "new hotness" effect that the iPhone has now. I'm going to bet it also comes in at $100 or less price point.

I am not surprised. They really botched the 3g. But, if you look at it, there might be a good reason for that.

Usually, Apple makes products like they always have: for the niche set of people that want them. As that niche grows, the product scales. Think iPod and more recently the Macs.

However, in the iPhone 3g they let the market dictate the phone. It was, without a doubt, a consumer phone. The first one was revolutionary, had Apple styling, and was, in fact, an engineer's phone. The second phone was more of a software update with mediocre inside changes (GPS notwithstanding). They used the first one to break into the market, the second one to spread the software, and in my estimation, the third one will be the truly ground breaking phone both in software AND hardware.

I had a hunch since the launch that with respect to the iPhone you look forward to every ODD launch. Those will be the true Apple-like releases we've seen.

unlurking
08-30-2008, 07:53 AM
That could be, I just hate waiting 2+ years for a product to reach a stable usable base. By that point, there's a new tech out that I want!!! :)

Right now I'm just over-anxious to get a new phone, and all the new toys will be coming out in the next 2 months. I'm sick of waiting! My "current" priority list is...

1. Raphael
2. SEX 1
3. Dream
4. iPhone

iPhone is still on the list, but it had better make some serious improvements QUICKLY in the next 2 months. Raphael and SEX 1 top the list above the Dream due to the qwerty keyboard and the fact that they are already in use overseas. Raphael has already seen a ROM update that is supposed to significantly increase performance.