PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Be sure to watch Leno tonight

HolmeZz
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
You'll get to see more of McCain's POW defense in action.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2528600420080826?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&rpc=22&sp=true

BURBANK, California (Reuters) - John McCain, who often invokes his ordeal as a Vietnam war prisoner to show his devotion to his country as he runs for U.S. president, drew on the experience again on Monday -- this time to deflect sniping over the number of houses he owns.

McCain's Democratic rival Barack Obama last week accused the Republican senator of being out of touch with ordinary people after he was unable to say in an interview how many houses were owned by him and his wife Cindy, a wealthy heiress to a beer distributorship.

In an appearance on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, McCain, 71, said his priority was to keep Americans in their homes in tough economic times.

Then he recalled his Vietnam experience.

"I spent 5 1/2 years in a prison cell without -- I didn't have a house. I didn't have a kitchen table. I didn't have a table. I didn't have a chair," he said.

"I spent those 5 1/2 years ... not because I wanted to get a house when I got out."

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
I hope McCain realizes when he says shit like that all it does is diminish what he went through.

Captain Obvious
08-25-2008, 09:43 PM
O RLY?

"I'm sick and tired of re-fighting the Vietnam War. And most importantly, I'm sick and tired of opening the wounds of the Vietnam War, which I've spent the last 30 years trying to heal. It's offensive to me, and it's angering to me that we're doing this. It's time to move on."--John McCain August 25, 2004 USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-08-25-mccain-_x.htm

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I hope McCain realizes when he says shit like that all it does is diminish what he went through.

On this count, dirk....you are FOS. Sorry. :shrug:

It only "diminishes" what he went through for folks who've long since made up their minds in this election, and are looking for ways to rationalize/validate their choice IMHO.

HolmeZz
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM

It only "diminishes" what he went through for folks who've long since made up their minds in this election, and are looking for ways to rationalize/validate their choice IMHO.

He very much runs the risk of turning his POW defense into a Daily Show/Colbert Report/SNL type punchline. I don't see how you can argue that.

Hell, Giuliani managed to make 9/11 into a punchline.

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 09:57 PM

All I am saying if he keeps saying this it is going to become a running joke and he will look pathetic much like Rudy did when all he did was say 9/11 a billion times.

Edit: Holmezz nails it. I can see Biden saying all McCain is a noun, a verb, and POW.

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2008, 09:58 PM
All I am saying if he keeps saying this it is going to become a running joke and he will look pathetic much like Rudy did when all he did was say 9/11 a billion times.

You mean, like the Obama campaign's running joke of the...."race card?" :shrug:

HolmeZz
08-25-2008, 10:00 PM

If Barack's campaign used his skin color as an excuse for every issue that comes up during the campaign, you'd probably have something resembling a point.

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 10:01 PM

If Obama makes a mistake I have yet to hear them throw the race card. But if they did that alot they would lose big time.

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
If Barack's campaign used his skin color as an excuse for every issue that comes up during the campaign, you'd probably have something resembling a point.

If you haven't seen a propensity for his supporters for doing that...then you've already made up your mind, and are not inclined to notice IMHO.

Because it's been happening. Often.

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
If you haven't seen a propensity for his supporters for doing that...then you've already made up your mind, and are not inclined to notice IMHO.

Supporters yes but not Obama. If Obama went on Jay Leno and said the reason why he can't remember how many houses he had was because he was black would you think that is a valid argument?

J Diddy
08-25-2008, 10:07 PM

oh we're going by supporters actions?

My response is programmer

I win

HolmeZz
08-25-2008, 10:07 PM

Exactly, neither has he or his campaign.

I've called out the likes of jettio when they've used his race to criticize attacks on him.

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Supporters yes but not Obama. If Obama went on Jay Leno and said the reason why he can't remember how many houses he had was because he was black would you think that is a valid argument?

Perhaps. But he better get "control" of his "people" or the origin of the race card, specifically, won't matter to most Americans who will care.

All THEY know is it is pathetic, and they are....sick, of it.

:shrug:

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Perhaps. But he better get "control" of his "people" or the origin of the race card, specifically, won't matter to most Americans who will care.

All THEY know is it is pathetic, and they are....sick, of it.

:shrug:

I haven't heard the race angle played in awhile maybe you have.

Obama knows as well as 95% of the people know that if you play the race card you are going to lose everytime.

But for McCain to use his POW history as some reason on why he forgot his houses is just as pathetic as the race card and will be looked that way if he continues to use it to explain away his mistakes.

All you have to do is look at Rudy and know how 100% correct Holmezz and I are.

Logical
08-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I cannot, if I hear it one more time then unlike recxjake I might actually puke. This is truly pathetic.

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2008, 10:33 PM
I haven't heard the race angle played in awhile maybe you have.

Obama knows as well as 95% of the people know that if you play the race card you are going to lose everytime.

But for McCain to use his POW history as some reason on why he forgot his houses is just as pathetic as the race card and will be looked that way if he continues to use it to explain away his mistakes.

All you have to do is look at Rudy and know how 100% correct Holmezz and I are.

I think that your equating Rudy's use of 911....and McCain's "use" of his very real, and prolonged, POW days....may be hyperbole.

Guess we'll see. I hope, if Obama is to win, you are right; my gut says differently though.

Logical
08-25-2008, 10:37 PM
"I spent 5 1/2 years in a prison cell without -- I didn't have a house. I didn't have a kitchen table. I didn't have a table. I didn't have a chair," he said.

"I spent those 5 1/2 years ... not because I wanted to get a house when I got out."Anyone who falls for that is truly an imbecile. The house thing is funny but using the POW story as an excuse is pathetic.

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Anyone who falls for that is truly an imbecile. The house thing is funny but using the POW story as an excuse is pathetic.

No one, listening to Leno, would have REALLY taken it that way.

Unless they were a pathetic imbecile, IMHO. :shrug:

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I think that your equating Rudy's use of 911....and McCain's "use" of his very real, and prolonged, POW days....may be hyperbole.

Guess we'll see. I hope, if Obama is to win, you are right; my gut says differently though.

Everyone that is going to vote this year lived through 9/11 and it was a very painful and sad experience for all of us. But when you see Rudy now people only think about how all he talked about was 9/11 and they roll their eyes if he brings it up. The same will happen to McCain if he keeps using it that is all I am saying.

DeezNutz
08-25-2008, 10:41 PM
McCain could easily put the housing question to bed quicky by answering it directly and honestly. It's a mistake that he's letting something insignificant continue to linger.

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Everyone that is going to vote this year lived through 9/11 and it was a very painful and sad experience for all of us. But when you see Rudy now people only think about how all he talked about was 9/11 and they roll their eyes if he brings it up. The same will happen to McCain if he keeps using it that is all I am saying.

And I say, it is a mistake to consider them the "same;" many folks, especially "older folks" will see a very clear distinction between the two situations. That's all I'm saying. Guess we'll see who's right.

If I were Obama though, I wouldn't bet my chances on the fact that most Americans will dismiss and disregard and minimize the very real experiences of a veteran who served six years as a POW.

DeezNutz
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
If I were Obama though, I wouldn't bet my chances on the fact that most Americans will dismiss and disregard and minimize the very real experiences of a veteran who served six years as a POW.

Pathos often trumps logos in a rhetorical situation.

dirk digler
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
And I say, it is a mistake to consider them the "same;" many folks, especially "older folks" will see a very clear distinction between the two situations. That's all I'm saying. Guess we'll see who's right.

Let me pose a question for you. Say McCain makes 10 mistakes in a couple of weeks time and he uses the POW excuse each and every time do you think by the 10th time people will still view his POW experiences the same or do you think they will be tired of hearing about how he was a POW and wish he would quit using it as an excuse?

Guru
08-25-2008, 10:52 PM
How long before the Youtube videos of this pop up? I missed it.

Mr. Kotter
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Let me pose a question for you. Say McCain makes 10 mistakes in a couple of weeks time and he uses the POW excuse each and every time do you think by the 10th time people will still view his POW experiences the same or do you think they will be tired of hearing about how he was a POW and wish he would quit using it as an excuse?

The hypothetical you pose is silly. There is ZERO chance of McCain attempting to do what you are suggesting.

If he does, he'll really deserve to lose.

He won't.

Pathos often trumps logos in a rhetorical situation.

If the McCain people try this, they will be much more stupid than I suspect they are. They won't.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-25-2008, 11:07 PM

:spock:

You're better than this, dude.

Logical
08-25-2008, 11:27 PM
No one, listening to Leno, would have REALLY taken it that way.

Unless they were a pathetic imbecile, IMHO. :shrug:Oh Jesus he ****s around on his crippled wife (tell the POW story)

Saddleback he uses the POW story multiple times

Screws up on the homes answer (should have just turned it into a joke) nope plays the pathetic POW story.

I know this I now have zero respect for him. I am not discounting POWs and what they went through but this sick old geezer lessens it for all of them.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2008, 01:30 AM
It's honestly mindboggling how inept McCain's campaign is. Instead of at least formulating a joke response or something, he continues to devalue the closest thing he had to a "get out of jail free" card.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2008, 01:31 AM

http://i34.tinypic.com/2qcld1i.jpg

tiptap
08-26-2008, 05:25 AM
POW and MIA are an artifact of the Vietnam era and the Baby Boomer's service. But amputees and lost of jobs are the present Iraq War consequences for a diverse age of Americans, but all younger than Baby Boomers. As such, this penchant for raising the POW status of McCain instead of dealing with the present situation, talks to a failed past rather than a plan for the present. It accentuates the Republican loyalty to the Boomer generation as the vested leaders, as compared to the Democrat's embracing new and diverse younger Americans.

patteeu
08-26-2008, 07:04 AM
He very much runs the risk of turning his POW defense into a Daily Show/Colbert Report/SNL type punchline. I don't see how you can argue that.

There's no doubt that liberals will try to make jokes about his heroic struggle. It's the classy thing to do.

patteeu
08-26-2008, 07:07 AM
McCain could easily put the housing question to bed quicky by answering it directly and honestly. It's a mistake that he's letting something insignificant continue to linger.

I agree with you.

Messier
08-26-2008, 07:07 AM
There's no doubt that liberals will try to make jokes about his heroic struggle. It's the classy thing to do.

What was the party of the swiftboaters?

dirk digler
08-26-2008, 07:12 AM
The hypothetical you pose is silly. There is ZERO chance of McCain attempting to do what you are suggesting.

If he does, he'll really deserve to lose.

He won't.

If the McCain people try this, they will be much more stupid than I suspect they are. They won't.

In such a condensed time like we are about to be in I could see him using that excuse alot. Rudy used it in almost every speech he gave and almost every answer. If McCain follows Rudy's idea then people will no longer care about him being a POW.

JMHO.

dirk digler
08-26-2008, 07:13 AM

Like how the Republicans were at their convention passing out purple band aides classy in 04?

penchief
08-26-2008, 07:17 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2qcld1i.jpg

Please tell me this Giuliani banner is a joke. That isn't real is it? If it is, I can honestly say that even I've overestimated Rudy. That has got to be the epitomy of whoredom and bad taste. I don't know how anyone could ever take him seriously again.

dirk digler
08-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Here you go Kotter it is already happening.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_08/014373.php

A NOUN, A VERB, AND P.O.W..... After the McCain campaign responded to yesterday's flap over the senator's untold number of homes by emphasizing his background as a former prisoner of war, I started wondering just how often Team McCain plays this card.
Perusing the last couple of weeks, I found four examples: 1) in response to questions about McCain's marital infidelities (http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/16571.html); 2) in response to criticism of McCain's healthcare plan (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=a1msL0Eaj96k&refer=home); 3) in response to a question about the first thing that comes to his mind when he thinks of Pittsburgh (http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/16172.html); and 4) in response to allegations he may have heard the questions in advance (http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/16589.html) of Rick Warren's recent candidate forum.
The Huffington Post's Sam Stein went a little further (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/21/mccain-camp-plays-pow-car_n_120428.html), noting that McCain also emphasized his background as a prisoner of war while railing against earmarks and again when talking about his taste in music.
After all of this, for the first time, McCain is actually starting to face some media push-back (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/21/fineman-mccain-is-trivial_n_120511.html).
Once a remarkable and respected aspect of his biography, John McCain stands on the brink of "trivializing" his past as a prisoner of war, which has become a "crutch in the campaign," Newsweek's Howard Fineman declared Thursday.
"I think they are going to it way too many times. It's the original story that defined John McCain, that still when you read it in his book 'Faith of my Fathers,' when you read about it in 'The Nightingale's Song,' you can't help but have admiration and respect for the guy. And I think he wisely for many years stayed away from it as a political tool, he really did. But now it not only defines him, it's become a crutch in the campaign. And I think he is in danger of trivializing it. By the time they get to the convention in St. Paul, there might not be much of it left to use."
It's not just Fineman. Time's Ana Marie Cox went so far as to argue that McCain's over-reliance on this is "bordering on irrational (http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/08/in_his_house_there_are_many_ma.html)."
Greg Sargent summarized (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/08/pundits_and_writers_start_hitt.php) the problem nicely: "f you print too much currency, it devalues it. The McCain campaign is cranking out all these bills with a little 'McCain as P.O.W.' logo on it and is trying to use them to buy their way out of every controversy that comes along. Pretty soon the McCain team's money won't be good anywhere."
Quite right. I'd just add that the hard-sell wouldn't be quite so awkward if McCain didn't go around saying that he's [I]reluctant (http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/07/mccain-in-colom.html) to talk about his Vietnam experiences.

Anna Marie Cox, TIME:

The McCain campaign's constant invocation of the candidate's POW past is weird bordering on irrational: yesterday, Nicolle Wallace used it as evidence that McCain didn't "cheat" at Saddleback. By a VERY generous interpretation, she could have meant that POWs don't cheat. Or that once you've been a POW, you've been through so much you're above cheating. Or maybe you can't accuse a POW of cheating unless you're a POW.
http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/08/in_his_house... (http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/08/in_his_house_there_are_many_ma.html)

whatsmynameagain
08-26-2008, 07:41 AM
its called beating a dead horse. never a good thing and all can agree on that, count it!.Posted via Mobile Device

Messier
08-26-2008, 07:48 AM

The difference is, yes, some will make jokes about how McCain brings up his POW experience, but the Obama campaign, or those affiliated, aren't trying to make it appear that McCain was never a POW and deserves no credit for his service, you know, the classy way to run against a war hero.

Pitt Gorilla
08-26-2008, 07:57 AM
You mean, like the Obama campaign's running joke of the...."race card?" :shrug:It really is incredible how much you support Obama in this forum.

Programmer
08-26-2008, 08:14 AM

Think of it on your financial level. How many pairs of socks are in your dresser?

You can't answer that? Why not, you bought them, you wear them!

You are irresponsible and need to get that count so you can answer directly and honestly.

For the edification of all, it's no business of anyone how many pairs of socks DeezNutz has in his dresser, nor is it anyone's business how much property that McCain owns.

Programmer
08-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Oh Jesus he ****s around on his crippled wife (tell the POW story)

Saddleback he uses the POW story multiple times

Screws up on the homes answer (should have just turned it into a joke) nope plays the pathetic POW story.

I know this I now have zero respect for him. I am not discounting POWs and what they went through but this sick old geezer lessens it for all of them.

How many of the responses post the initial one has been a play on the liberals that cannot let go of something once said?

How many people in the U.S> have cheated on their wives? How many Presidents have cheated on their wives and were currently in a divorce fight? I can think of Clinton, JFK and FDR. I don't remember hearing anything about Ike, Nixon, Carter, Johnson, Reagan, Bush I, or Bush II.

So Jim, why is it the democrats are up in arms about McCain doing the something similar to some very visible democratic presidents? Oh yes, I forget, he's a republican and held to a higher standard.

dirk digler
08-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Think of it on your financial level. How many pairs of socks are in your dresser?

You are irresponsible and need to get that count so you can answer directly and honestly.

For the edification of all, it's no business of anyone how many pairs of socks DeezNutz has in his dresser, nor is it anyone's business how much property that McCain owns.

That is a stupid analogy. Are you telling me 95% of homeowners only have 1 pair of socks?

Programmer
08-26-2008, 08:35 AM
That is a stupid analogy. Are you telling me 95% of homeowners only have 1 pair of socks?

I guess my mistake was giving you credit for having a brain. Won't happen again.

Alphaman
08-26-2008, 08:40 AM

Once again it is not an issue of his personal wealth or the number of houses he owns. McCain and his campaign have spent a lot of time trying to paint Obama as out of touch and elite. This is the point that is being driven home. McCain's inability to recall the number of houses he has paints him as having so much wealth, he can't remember how much he has. that paints him as being completely out of touch with the person who has lost or is losing their house in the mortgage crisis or with the person losing their job because it is being shipped over seas or with the person who can't afford gas.

Out of touch has always been an issue in Presidential elections.

As for the POW response, the problem is that it is a real stretch to bring it up in the houses discussion. It's a real stretch to bring it up in the health care discussion or even in the not being in the cone of silence discussion. I won't argue the trivilization aspect, but it does make it appear that he doesn't have a thoughtful answer to questions and issues.

dirk digler
08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
I guess my mistake was giving you credit for having a brain. Won't happen again.

Only a dumbass would relate how many pairs of socks someone has to how many houses a persons owns. LMAO

beer bacon
08-26-2008, 09:49 AM
So for McCain, owning 14 million dollars worth of housing is the same thing as owning a couple pairs of socks. Yeah, that doesn't make him seem out of touch.

irishjayhawk
08-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Did you really go down that road?

Taco John
08-26-2008, 09:55 AM

It's funny to me that this wasn't your take when it was John Kerry who was on the receiving end of the classless attacks.

patteeu
08-26-2008, 10:07 AM
It's funny to me that this wasn't your take when it was John Kerry who was on the receiving end of the classless attacks.

I find it offensive that you'd compare John Kerry's Vietnam record and subsequent disgraceful behavior protesting against it with John McCain's experience at the Hanoi Hilton.

beer bacon
08-26-2008, 10:12 AM
So, is the POW card just a campaign thing, or if John McCain is elected do you think McCain will keep using it as a defense when he messes up?

Chiefnj2
08-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I find it offensive that you'd compare John Kerry's Vietnam record and subsequent disgraceful behavior protesting against it with John McCain's experience at the Hanoi Hilton.

It isn't right to compare the two since Kerry was a better soldier and didn't get captured.

HolmeZz
08-26-2008, 11:45 AM

John McCain has as many homes as I do pairs of socks.

And oh yeah, your analogy is embarrassing.

StcChief
08-26-2008, 12:08 PM
It isn't right to compare the two since Kerry was a better soldier and didn't get captured.
sKerry was better at photo ops, serving 3 months and leaving Vietnam.. that's correct.

Tiger's Fan
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Now this is really pathetic, but not totally unexpected.

penchief
08-26-2008, 12:57 PM

Sounds like something Donger or Shitsprayer would say.

Chiefnj2
08-26-2008, 01:43 PM

The republican attack on Kerry taught me well.

J Diddy
08-26-2008, 01:49 PM

yep you're all pc yourself

buster hymen

Taco John
08-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Oh, well... Let me be the first to invite you to blow me then. I'm not going to observe your politically correct bullshit on when it's ok to respect a soldiers service and when it's ok to piss all over it with abandon.

You, sir, can take your indignation and piss off.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Kotter are you saying get conrol of "his people" as in those working for him or the rabble on the street. I can see him needing to handle the former but it's not possible to completely control the latter.

Tiger's Fan
08-26-2008, 02:19 PM
yep you're all pc yourself

buster hymen

If you can't tell the difference between a war hero, a traitor, and my use of a somewhat humorous BB name, then I can't help you.

King_Chief_Fan
08-26-2008, 02:22 PM

Oh, well... Let me be the first to invite you to blow me then. I'm not going to observe your if its o.k. then, its o.k. now bull shit. ROFLYou, sir, can take your indignation and piss off.

Logical
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
So, is the POW card just a campaign thing, or if John McCain is elected do you think McCain will keep using it as a defense when he messes up?
ROFLROFLROFL

What do you think?

J Diddy
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
If you can't tell the difference between a war hero, a traitor, and my use of a somewhat humorous BB name, then I can't help you.

maybe because none exist

they are all offensive

who gets to make the determination, you?

btw it's not somewhat humorous, I don't even chuckle

beer bacon
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM

This is a serious question. Will McCain still use the POW card if he gets elected President? Will he take too many sleep pills and doze straight through Russia invading Ukraine, and then justify it by talking about how they didn't let him sleep for five and 1/2 years in the Hanoi Hilton? Will this be ok? Does the President deserve a pass on his failures as long as he is a former POW?

Logical
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
How many of the responses post the initial one has been a play on the liberals that cannot let go of something once said?

How many people in the U.S> have cheated on their wives? How many Presidents have cheated on their wives and were currently in a divorce fight? I can think of Clinton, JFK and FDR. I don't remember hearing anything about Ike, Nixon, Carter, Johnson, Reagan, Bush I, or Bush II.

So Jim, why is it the democrats are up in arms about McCain doing the something similar to some very visible democratic presidents? Oh yes, I forget, he's a republican and held to a higher standard.

Was Jackie O, Pat Nixon, Carter's wife (though I never heard he had an affair), Lady Byrd, pretty sure Reagan was too old to have an affair when in office, Bush II is too stupid to believe he pulled off an affair, Mamie, or FDRs wife laid up in a hosipital crippled from a car accident.

Too bad for you that you did not choose Edwards, then your analogy would have made some sense.

beer bacon
08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
New POW card entry. McCain spoke to some veterans today, and he excused any possible ignorance about the Cold War by saying he spent 5 1/2 years of the Cold War "as a guest of one of our adversaries."

beer bacon
08-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Anyone? Anyone that legitimately believes that McCain's use of his POW status so far in this campaign want to give their opinion? Would it be ok for McCain to use his POW status in the same manner once he became President?

Tiger's Fan
08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Anyone? Anyone that legitimately believes that McCain's use of his POW status so far in this campaign want to give their opinion? Would it be ok for McCain to use his POW status in the same manner once he became President?

I don't think you'd be so prone to make light of it, if you had the balls to have actually served before.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
I don't think you'd be so prone to make light of it, if you had the balls to have actually served before.So I guess the actual veterans who are calling him out are pussies, too.

No one's questioning his service, dumbass. The question is how it's relevant to questions about the economy or cheating or how the weather is this fine evening.

Tiger's Fan
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
So I guess the actual veterans who are calling him out are pussies, too.

No one's questioning his service, dumbass. The question is how it's relevant to questions about the economy or cheating or how the weather is this fine evening.

Knowing you haven't makes your opinion null and void. And yes, there is the occasional pussy thats a veteran. Their opinion is still worth more than yours.

VAChief
08-26-2008, 04:29 PM

To be fair what Giuliani "endured" is hardly comparable. Even if you grant him the measure of fortitude or leadership or whatever else people wanted to laud him for at the time.

McCain will always have my upmost respect for his service. Do I think he over does it...probably...but only because I think his time would be better spent on the issues.

That said his policies or lack there of are fair game. He has really disappointed me with his pandering. I was ripe for him to pull me to his side. He has done everything so far the wrong way for me to consider him now.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Knowing you haven't makes your opinion null and void.So some mouthbreather writes, so it is done.

Tiger's Fan
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
So some mouthbreather writes, so it is done.

Many, mouthbreathers included, have served so that an idiot like you has the right to voice your worthless opinion without getting your pathetic ass snapped in half by real men.

irishjayhawk
08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Oh, well... Let me be the first to invite you to blow me then. I'm not going to observe your politically correct bullshit on when it's ok to respect a soldiers service and when it's ok to piss all over it with abandon.

You, sir, can take your indignation and piss off.

You already had it in another thread:

His moral compass is set to off.

Or more specifically, it's only turned on when he wants to call others out.

beer bacon
08-26-2008, 05:42 PM
So do any of the conservative regulars want to discuss the limits of the POW card for an actual President? Would McCain's sufferings as a POW excuse actual failures as President, or is it only ok for McCain to use it as a get out of jail free card during campaigning?

Cntrygal
08-26-2008, 06:41 PM

IMO, a better analogy would be... "how many vehicles do you currently own?"

Cntrygal
08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
oh and for the record.

As a veteran, I'm tired of hearing him preface any of his comments/attempts at answering questions with his POW experience.

Ari Chi3fs
08-26-2008, 06:44 PM
I dont think McCain was a POW. It is scam planted 35 years ago, to help him now!! what a bastarD!

patteeu
08-26-2008, 10:12 PM
So do any of the conservative regulars want to discuss the limits of the POW card for an actual President? Would McCain's sufferings as a POW excuse actual failures as President, or is it only ok for McCain to use it as a get out of jail free card during campaigning?

Sufferings as a POW don't excuse anything. They do tell us something about his character and toughness though.

beer bacon
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Sufferings as a POW don't excuse anything. They do tell us something about his character and toughness though.

McCain using his POW status as an excuse every time he ****s up tells us something about his character and toughness?

patteeu
08-27-2008, 06:59 AM
McCain using his POW status as an excuse every time he ****s up tells us something about his character and toughness?

Is that really what you think I said?