PDA

View Full Version : Football Since college football is upon us, you guys see the Herbie awards?

Mecca
08-26-2008, 05:37 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview08/news/story?id=3548678

Some Tigers on there.....and he picks KU as a team heading down....

Saulbadguy
08-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Return Stars -

4. Deon Murphy, Kansas State

Big XII offensive newcomer of the year, and the good news is he received an extra year of eligibility so he is a junior this year. I suspect he will be the "go to guy" this year, provided he is healthy.

DaKCMan AP
08-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Can't wait for the season to start!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mecca
08-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Dirty Sanchez is back!

DaKCMan AP
08-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Herbie seems high on Chris Rainey. I can understand why. :D

Mecca
08-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Well he's no Joe McKnight...LOL

DaKCMan AP
08-26-2008, 07:57 AM

He's smaller, shiftier and faster. :p

Mecca
08-26-2008, 08:02 AM
He's smaller, shiftier and faster. :p

Yea but who's better!

In fairness here McKnight is in a pro style system, if Chris Rainy was on our team I have no clue what the hell he'd be, probably a slot WR.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Herbie rules!

Wow, picking KU on a team on the decline? I dont think decline as much as tougher schedule...

KU could fo 8-4/9-3 and that is still a successful season....

Lzen
08-26-2008, 09:08 AM
A guy on the local sports talk show the other day said it well, IMO. He said something to the effect that KU could (and probably will) lose more games this year and still be a better team in 2008 than they were in 2007. Obviously, everyone thinks they will lose more because of the tougher schedule. But I don't get some of these ridiculous picks like 5 or 6 wins and no bowl game. KU should get 8-9 wins and a bowl game again this year. That is, unless they have a rash of injuries.

kepp
08-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Outside Linebackers -- All Over The Field
6. Martez Wilson, Illinois

...based on what? It seems like he barely played last year.

Reaper16
08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Kirk seems really high on Nebraska.

Chiefnj2
08-26-2008, 11:35 AM
No Michael Oher, the future Mike Peterson of the Kansas City Chiefs?

Tyson Jackson as the #1 DE??

ohiobronco2
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
No Michael Oher, the future Mike Peterson of the Kansas City Chiefs?

Tyson Jackson as the #1 DE??

I was kind of surprised that Oher wasn't on the list. However, I can't say that I really know how good he is, just that every draft site thinks he's going to be the next Walter Jones. Tyson Jackson is a pretty solid DE. I think he's a prototypical DE, he's not a college DE who will be a rush LB in a 3-4.

ohiobronco2
08-26-2008, 11:51 AM

I'm really anxious to see Joe McKnight this season. I've heard about how great he is and in the small sampling I could see last season, it appears to be true. I wouldn't think he could be a feature back in the Pro's given his small stature, but who knows.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I was kind of surprised that Oher wasn't on the list. However, I can't say that I really know how good he is, just that every draft site thinks he's going to be the next Walter Jones. Tyson Jackson is a pretty solid DE. I think he's a prototypical DE, he's not a college DE who will be a rush LB in a 3-4.

Shocking that he picked a Buckeye for that spot...

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 12:10 PM
A guy on the local sports talk show the other day said it well, IMO. He said something to the effect that KU could (and probably will) lose more games this year and still be a better team in 2008 than they were in 2007. Obviously, everyone thinks they will lose more because of the tougher schedule. But I don't get some of these ridiculous picks like 5 or 6 wins and no bowl game. KU should get 8-9 wins and a bowl game again this year. That is, unless they have a rash of injuries.

Yeah but the trendy pick is to pick them to lose just because of their history..

I will be happy with 8-9 wins and a second teir bowl victory...

Now if MU fails to win the NC or a BCS game then that will be considered a failure... They have more pressure to win then KU does, They cant afford to drop a game or two....

ohiobronco2
08-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Shocking that he picked a Buckeye for that spot...

Well Alex Boone is a pretty good OT. I've got to see him play in person many times. I can't say for sure who's better, since I have not gotten to see Oher play. I just assumed that Oher deserved the nod, given all of the praise he receives.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Well Alex Boone is a pretty good OT. I've got to see him play in person many times. I can't say for sure who's better, since I have not gotten to see Oher play. I just assumed that Oher deserved the nod, given all of the praise he receives.

Boone is an excellent OT.

All I'm saying is that if Herbstreit had gone anywhere other than OSU, or Boone played for another university, Oher would have gotten the nod.

It really doesn't matter, the proof will come in April 2009 and beyond.

CupidStunt
08-26-2008, 12:54 PM
It really doesn't matter, the proof will come in April 2009 and beyond.

Not really, since it's about COLLEGE FOOTBALL, not the NFL Draft.

That's exactly why Michael Oher is not on there. He's not a polished product; he's a specimen. Boone is your typical great college OT who will not be able to handle the speed and power of NFL DEs. Doesn't mean a thing for the next few months, though.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Not really, since it's about COLLEGE FOOTBALL, not the NFL Draft.

That's exactly why Michael Oher is not on there. He's not a polished product; he's a specimen. Boone is your typical great college OT who will not be able to handle the speed and power of NFL DEs. Doesn't mean a thing for the next few months, though.

Ok.

That "specimen" has owned every DLman in the best CFB conference in the country, including our own Glenn Dorsey.

JMO, but I've seen them both play quite a bit, and Oher is the better player, and plays against much tougher competition.

kepp
08-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Now if MU fails to win the NC or a BCS game then that will be considered a failure... They have more pressure to win then KU does, They cant afford to drop a game or two....

I don't know about the NC...all that talk scares me to be honest. IMO, anything short of a Big12 championship (which would automatically mean a BCS bowl) will be a failed season.

CupidStunt
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Ok.

That "specimen" has owned every DLman in the best CFB conference in the country, including our own Glenn Dorsey.

JMO, but I've seen them both play quite a bit, and Oher is the better player, and plays against much tougher competition.

Oher certainly did not own every DL he faced, and he rarely even matched up with Dorsey, so I don't know when you supposedly saw that.

|Zach|
08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Great to see Washington get some love for Mizzou. Really excited to see him go to work.

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't know about the NC...all that talk scares me to be honest. IMO, anything short of a Big12 championship (which would automatically mean a BCS bowl) will be a failed season.
Honestly, I am glad the pressure is on MU and not KU... We will be able to enjoy our season W or L.... MU knows that one/two slip up's and all the hype/media hype/fans expectations are all down the drain...

IT's NC or Bust for MU this year...

beavis
08-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Honestly, I am glad the pressure is on MU and not KU... We will be able to enjoy our season W or L.... MU knows that one/two slip up's and all the hype/media hype/fans expectations are all down the drain...

IT's NC or Bust for MU this year...

I love how you all are throwing out these caveats before the season even starts. Eight or nine wins for KU is ok... MU loses one and they suck... You guys never change. Wouldn't really want you to I guess, it's what makes you so easy to hate.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Oher certainly did not own every DL he faced, and he rarely even matched up with Dorsey, so I don't know when you supposedly saw that.

I watched 5 Ole Miss games this past season, (which is likely 5 more than anyone else here) and Oher dominated. And yes, if you actually WATCHED the Ole Miss - LSU game from last year, Oher and Dorsey were matched up quite often as LSU ran a lot of stunts where the DE crashed down, and Dorsey tried to come around the end on Oher's side.

Mecca
08-26-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm really anxious to see Joe McKnight this season. I've heard about how great he is and in the small sampling I could see last season, it appears to be true. I wouldn't think he could be a feature back in the Pro's given his small stature, but who knows.

Joe isn't quite so small anymore...

He's 6' 200lbs now, he gained 20lbs in the offseason in preparation for being a big part of the SC offense this year.

Sam Hall
08-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Kirk seems really high on Nebraska.

And everyone knows I like that:thumb: