PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Rand - Easier said than done

C-Mac
08-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Easier said than done (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/08/26/easier_said_than_done/)
Aug 26, 2008, 1:34:00 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

The Chiefs’ rebuilding program seemed less daunting in the planning than in the execution.

Their rebuilding right now is as fragile as a newborn babe. Every cough is reason for alarm, and the 24-0 loss at Miami was a cough heard all over Kansas City.

Coach Herm Edwards made it clear that the game against the Dolphins, who finished 1-15 a year ago, would mark his team’s most serious pre-season effort. You dread to think what the score might’ve been had he planned to get the starters out quickly, then evaluate players on the bubble.

Nobody ever said rebuilding was going to be pretty, though few probably expected such an unsightly performance this early.

It’s never encouraging when rebuilding teams talk about the need to build confidence in the preseason. Confidence comes from winning, not the other way around, and if you don’t have enough players ready to win, confidence will prove elusive.

Rebuilding teams always hope that if they achieve pre-season success, it will carry over to the regular season. Fact is, with the first regular-season kickoff, rookies learn and veterans are reminded that they’re stepping into an entirely new world.

An absence of carryover actually would be a positive for the Chiefs right now. They certainly wouldn’t want their performance in Miami to carry over into Thursday night’s pre-season finale against the St. Louis Rams at Arrowhead Stadium.

So what’s Edwards to do now?

He’ll no doubt stay the course, just like any of us should if we expect to succeed with a career change, a first wedding or anything else that takes us into uncharted waters. The plan always seems well reasoned and sound in the planning stages but when it’s time to follow through, we wonder “Can I really do this?” or “Will this really work?”

That knot in our stomachs gets even tighter when the early results are not encouraging.

But once the initial wave of panic subsides, you’ve got to remember how much care you gave the original plan and summon the confidence that it deserves every chance to succeed.

Besides, the Chiefs have no reasonable alternative. Having purged the roster of declining veterans and rebuilding through the draft, there’s no turning back for Edwards and the rest of the organization.

Not that NFL head coaches are prone to changing course prematurely. There’s a good reason why stubbornness is a primary qualification for the job. No matter how bleak developments appear, the head coach has to remain resolute that prosperity is just around the corner.

There’s also something to be said for the old saw that a football team is never as good as it seems when it’s winning, or as awful as it seems when it’s losing. It’s clear now that too much was read into the Chiefs’ offensive success in the pre-season opener in Chicago. And too much, perhaps, is being read into the whitewash at Miami.

The Chiefs’ offense, which collapsed last season, was not about to turn over a new leaf overnight. Coordinator Chan Gailey is still in the earliest stages of changing the Chiefs’ system and, most significantly, the line, though Branden Albert, the projected left tackle, has yet to play. The quarterback, Brodie Croyle, is a work in progress and has yet to post a regular-season win.

Football organizations, unlike construction firms, can’t guarantee if and when a project will be completed. Which is why any obvious setback becomes a cause for legitimate concern.

And there’s nothing wrong with legitimate concern — just as long as it doesn’t turn into panic.

jidar
08-26-2008, 07:40 AM
true enough.
We're committed now, for better or for worse.

Chief Chief
08-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Like we have any say in the matter...

InChiefsHell
08-26-2008, 07:59 AM
You're sure we have the right guys in place for this rebuild?

I'm taking an awful risk Vader...this had better work.../Clark

TEX
08-26-2008, 08:27 AM

Exactly. If you don't have the right guys in place, it's a DISASTER in the making. It can take FOREVER. How many years has the Natti, Detroit or Zona been rebuilding? What about San Fran? What about the Saints before them? I understand "suffering" for a few yeras to turn into the Colts or Cowboys, but I can't stand the thought of suffering for a decade to turn into the Lions or Cardinals. :shake:

Rausch
08-26-2008, 08:30 AM

PLAYOFF LOSSES ARE SUCCESS
NOT SPENDING IS SPACE FOR FUTURE STARS
CUTTING PLAYERS IS ADDING YOUNG TALENT

""Never again will you be capable of ordinary human fandom. Everything will be dead inside you. Never again will you be capable of loving the playoffs, or friendship at the tailgate, or joy of the upset win, or laughter, or curiosity, or courage, or team integrity. You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty and then we shall fill you with ourselves."

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Exactly. If you don't have the right guys in place, it's a DISASTER in the making. :shake:

As in?

KCJohnny
08-26-2008, 08:38 AM
The difference in teams that turn around and teams that don't is simple: head coaching.
Herm is a winner, and he would be hired instantly if KC fired him. His specialty is raising up young talent and his strength is in building character-based teams that play and fight together.
That said, Herm < Marty, and unless Herm hits his career stride by 2010 (which will require Carl's knack for key FA acquisitions), this "young team" will peak as the Jets did with 10 wins.

My personal forecast is Herm will have the 2010 Chiefs at 12-4 with a playoff win.

KCFalcon59
08-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Herm is no Rich Kotite, but he is getting real close.

Rausch
08-26-2008, 08:50 AM
The difference in teams that turn around and teams that don't is simple: head coaching.
Herm is a winner, and he would be hired instantly if KC fired him. His specialty is raising up young talent and his strength is in building character-based teams that play and fight together.
That said, Herm < Marty, and unless Herm hits his career stride by 2010 (which will require Carl's knack for key FA acquisitions), this "young team" will peak as the Jets did with 10 wins.

My personal forecast is Herm will have the 2010 Chiefs at 12-4 with a playoff win.

Herm is one of the best at building a team.

He's also one of the worst at coaching them under fire.

And this from a Herm supporter...

KCJohnny
08-26-2008, 08:56 AM

I won't disagree with you, Brad. I just think that coaches, like players, have developmental curves. And as of now, Herm's trajectory still points upward. For now.

TEX
08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
As in?

ROFL You figure it out...

TEX
08-26-2008, 09:44 AM

Herm is the best "winner" with a losing record in the NFL...:rolleyes:
Hired instantly as what? A HC??? Or a scout?

KCJohnny
08-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Herm is the best "winner" with a losing record in the NFL...:rolleyes:
Hired instantly as what? A HC??? Or a scout?

Like I said, I got this opinion from Brian Billick when I had breakfast with him in Baghdad. Herm made the playoffs 3 of his 5 years with the NYJs and in his 1st year here.
Can he transfer that success here?
The conventional wisdom is that he can.
No, I don't see a SB in the forecast. Then again, I would have placed Tony Dungee in the same hopeless category, and I would have been wrong...

MGRS13
08-26-2008, 09:49 AM
I'd hire Herm to take out my trash, but he'd probably just panic and bring in a vet to kick it out the door.

TEX
08-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Like I said, I got this opinion from Brian Billick when I had breakfast with him in Baghdad. Herm made the playoffs 3 of his 5 years with the NYJs and in his 1st year here.
Can he transfer that success here?
The conventional wisdom is that he can.
No, I don't see a SB in the forecast. Then again, I would have placed Tony Dungee in the same hopeless category, and I would have been wrong...

Where's Billick now? It kind of ended they same way in New York for Herm except no SB...

I have always admired your optimism KCJ, so carry on.

TEX
08-26-2008, 09:58 AM
I'd hire Herm to take out my trash, but he'd probably just panic and bring in a vet to kick it out the door.

ROFL

RustShack
08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Herm is still pretty early in his career, and a lot of couches haven't won a super bowl this early in thiers...

Baconeater
08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Herm is still pretty early in his career, and a lot of couches haven't won a super bowl this early in thiers...

I think it's safe to say that no couches have ever won a Super Bowl.

BigChiefFan
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
3-13

Rausch
08-26-2008, 10:10 AM
I think it's safe to say that no couches have ever won a Super Bowl.

The Tuna is as close as you'll find...

King_Chief_Fan
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Coach Herm Edwards made it clear that the game against the Dolphins, who finished 1-15 a year ago, would mark his team’s most serious pre-season effort.

If that doesn't speak volumes.

beach tribe
08-26-2008, 11:27 AM

I still don't understand why people think he's so good at building a team. Maybe he's ok I guess, but there's certainly no body of work that suggests he's one of the best.

He built a 10-6 team? ..........yay go Herman

Reerun_KC
08-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I still don't understand why people think he's so good at building a team. Maybe he's ok I guess, but there's certainly no body of work that suggests he's one of the best.

He built a 10-6 team? ..........yay go Herman
I tend to agree with you.. I think the media fluffed him up more than the results on the field..

Someone compared him to Rich Kotite... That is pretty, pretty bad...