PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Which would you rather have?

CupidStunt
08-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Assume the Chiefs have the No. 1 pick, and the following scenarios are true.

Brodie Croyle plays in 12 games, missing four due to injury. In 12 games, he throws 13 TDs and only nine INTs. His completion percentage is 64% but his YPA is only 6.1. He is third among QBs in fumbles. Some of his problems are due to scheme or supporting cast (conservative and scared HC, bad line, etc.), and some are his own.

Available to draft is QB Matthew Stafford, graded by experts as a combination of Eli Manning and Jay Cutler as prospects. Not super-elite, but potentially a "franchise QB."

----

Tamba Hali struggles at RDE. Through eight games, he has just two sacks. The Chiefs decide to move him back to LDE and experiment with other players at RDE. None work and the Chiefs struggle to generate any pass-rush.

Available to draft is DE Michael Johnson, a 6'7" pass-rusher with rare ability. Experts grade him as the 1c. to Julius Peppers and Mario Williams 1a. and 1b. He's argued to be the best player in the draft.

----

Branden Albert struggles mightily at LT for six weeks. He slides across to guard and does well, so the Chiefs try him at RT. He struggles early but comes on, and by season's end is considered a book-end but only on the right side.

Available to draft is LT Michael Oher, tabbed by many experts as the best player in the draft. He's on the same level as Joe Thomas as a prospect, possibly better.

----

There are no stud free agent QBs, LTs or DEs. But the Chiefs have signed a nice No. 2 WR and Pro Bowl OG. They also added a good young OLB to pair with Derrick Johnson and will be targetting a MLB in round two of the draft - almost like a late first-rounder.

Take your pick.

ChiefsCountry
08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Judging by that scenario I think Michael Johnson sounds real good. Adding a Julius Peppers to go along with a Warren Sapp would make our defense really amazing.

Mr. Laz
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
huh? :spock:

so to summarize, every crucial developmental position for the Chiefs this year goes Ballz up and we need to pick which disaster we want to try and fix with the 1st pick of the draft next year?

Pablo
08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Eh, if Brodie misses any time due to injury I think we have to look at QB.

I think the coaching staff pulled him last year, more than he was really injured; but if he gets hurt and misses time in this season, then you have to look at Stafford...

Brodie has too much bad history to look the other way one more time; and a players most important ability is their availability.

FAX
08-26-2008, 04:28 PM
How about this?

You have a douchenozzle that breaks after its fifth use. You patch it with duct tape and superglue, but you're not sure it's going to leak sometime in the future. You check with the store and they're backlogged on douchenozzles due to a manufacturing shortage and recent, increased demand.

A true fan attacks Herm during a press conference. Rhonda Moss intervenes on Herm's behalf but is struck in the left tittaw by a thrown folding chair. There is bruising and some nipple damage but she is classified as "stable" at KU. Herm declines to visit her at the hospital but issues a press release thanking her for her assistance and sends her flowers.

Gunther begins wearing dresses in team meetings as a way to demonstrate that it's what's inside a man that counts. Some players are unable to grasp the metaphor and decide to quit the team. The Cross Dressing Alliance of America calls for a boycott of Chiefs games in protest. Carl publicly supports Gunther and rumors abound that Gunther's wardrobe was actually loaned to him by Carl's wife.

Do you ...

A) Order a replacement douchenozzle?
B) Petition the White House to give Rhonda Moss an award?
C) Send Gunther some hosery?

FAX

sedated
08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
trade down

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
It would be between Johnson and Oher in my book, as they are the better prospects.

It would be real hard to pass on either of them, IMO.

Deberg_1990
08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
QB is the MOST IMPORTANT position on an NFL team

FAX
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Offensive line are the most important positions on an NFL team.

FAX

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Sorry, I'm not passing up a superstar at a position of need, just to take an above average QB with that high of a pick.

Atlanta had the option of picking Ryan or Dorsey, and IMO, they chose poorly.

pr_capone
08-26-2008, 04:40 PM

So by all means... lets use our #1 pick on a QB from a draft with one of the weakest crop of QB's coming out of college in the last 5 years.

BigMeatballDave
08-26-2008, 04:44 PM

QB is the MOST IMPORTANT position on an NFL teamAsk the 2000 Ravens about that...

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
If Croyle went 13/9 with a 64% completion percentage, there really wouldn't be anything to bitch about, IMO.

CupidStunt
08-26-2008, 04:45 PM
So by all means... lets use our #1 pick on a QB from a draft with one of the weakest crop of QB's coming out of college in the last 5 years.

You missed the point/catch.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Branden Albert struggles mightily at LT for six weeks. He slides across to guard and does well, so the Chiefs try him at RT.

I'm still wondering why they didn't leave Albert at LT...

And if they were dead set on moving him to guard, and he did well there, why would they move him AGAIN, to RT?

Redrum_69
WHERES THE KICKER OPTION!

PastorMikH
Our DL needs some pass rush. In the scenario given, I go with DE.

Pablo
08-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I'd like that scenario a whole lot better if Sam Bradford were coming out instead of Stafford.

Alphaman
08-26-2008, 04:50 PM
That's a well thought out and interesting scenario. I chose the defensive end for a few reasons:

1) You said he was the best player in the draft and he fills a position of need.

2) Croyle progressed from his first 6 starts and appears to be improving.

3) If Albert is forced to play RT, Herb Taylor may be the answer at LT.

4) If we pick #1 in the first, we'll likely pick #1 in the 2nd. We could possibly get a very good QB prospect at that spot.

RJ
08-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Given that scenario I'd take Michael Oher.

pr_capone
08-26-2008, 05:03 PM
You missed the point/catch.

How so?

My response was to Berg stating that

"QB is the MOST IMPORTANT position on an NFL team"

In your scenario, Croyle had not been decapitated by Trent Green in a fit of rage due to training camp being weighted in Croyles favor a few years back.

With Croyle not being dead an all, and having an ok year, I found Berg's chants of "QB is the MOST IMPORTANT position on an NFL team" being silly.

orange
08-26-2008, 05:10 PM

FAX

I remember having this argument from many years ago, here in Denver. The Broncos had drafted Chris Hinton, a surefire franchise LT - and they just traded him for a quarterback before he ever played a down.

My good friend Randy was irate - "You win with the OL. Stupid, stupid move!"

I'll let history tell you how that worked out.

pr_capone
08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I remember this argument from many years ago, hear in Denver. The Broncos had drafted Chris Hinton, a surefire franchise LT - and they just traded him for a quarterback before he ever played a down.

My good friend Randy was irate - "You win with the OL. Stupid, stupid move!"

I'll let history tell you how that worked out.

Broncos cheat the cap and vasoline their jerseys en route to 2 Superbowl wins where they should not have even competed and one loss.

the end

Tribal Warfare
08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
MLB Rey Maualuga or Oher just plain and simple BPA

Portlantis
08-26-2008, 05:15 PM
I'll go with choice D, best player available regardless.

CupidStunt
08-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I'd like that scenario a whole lot better if Sam Bradford were coming out instead of Stafford.

Completely irrelevant. Names don't matter. Call the top QB Patrick McPasserson if you want. What's important is how good of a prospect he is, how the Chiefs stand at QB, and what other options they have.

orange
08-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Broncos cheat the cap and vasoline their jerseys en route to 2 Superbowl wins where they should not have even competed and one loss.

the end

It's really kind of pathetic that the whole NFL history of the Chiefs' "success" comes down to that - a bogus whine about supposedly being cheated - isn't it?

What were their excuses in the other playoffs they were one-and-done?

acesn8s
08-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Where in the hell is the FIRE CARL! option?

:cuss:

Mecca
08-26-2008, 06:29 PM
If they have the #1 pick with Croyle getting injured yet again it has to be the QB, you can't build your team around a guy who can't stay on the field.

StcChief
08-26-2008, 06:36 PM
BPA ... D first. Albert will move back.

Mecca
08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
BPA ... D first. Albert will move back.

So are you just waiting to take a QB with the 1st pick the next year?

And to be honest I'm not sure Johnson will grade out like Peppers or Williams he isn't as big as them...he's as tall yes but they are both nearly 300lbs, Michael Johnson is about 245-250..he looks like Kiwanuka to be honest.

Micjones
08-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I think under this scenario, Oher has to be your guy.

CupidStunt
08-26-2008, 06:41 PM
So are you just waiting to take a QB with the 1st pick the next year?

And to be honest I'm not sure Johnson will grade out like Peppers or Williams he isn't as big as them...he's as tall yes but they are both nearly 300lbs, Michael Johnson is about 245-250..he looks like Kiwanuka to be honest.

This thread doesn't require your expert analysis of any player. Reading is your friend.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 06:41 PM
This thread doesn't require your expert analysis of any player. Reading is your friend.

ROFL

Mecca
08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Just sayin I doubt Michael Johnson is going to be worth that pick..oh well ignore that.

You can't build your team around a QB that can't stay on the field, that is my central point.

Nightfyre
08-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Just sayin I doubt Michael Johnson is going to be worth that pick..oh well ignore that.

You can't build your team around a QB that can't stay on the field, that is my central point.

What happened to BPA mecca?

Mecca
08-26-2008, 06:46 PM
What happened to BPA mecca?

We'll see who the BPA is in about 6 months, the college season will go a long way in deciding who it is, aswell as workouts and a ton of other shit.

Right now I'm going to say Matt Stafford gets the knod from me.

I just don't think you send a very good message to your team if Croyle gets hurt again and you run him back out there as the end all be all QB of your team. Where is your rebuilding going if the QB you have can't stay on the field. A QB that can't play 16 games really hurts his team, ask the Eagles about that.

RibKing67
08-26-2008, 06:47 PM
I picked the LT.
Despite what others may think I feel like it doesn't matter who you put behind a pathetic line they will get sacked without blocking.

CupidStunt
08-26-2008, 06:47 PM
We'll see who the BPA is in about 6 months,

For the purposes of this thread you already know who the BPA is.

Or maybe not. :doh!:

the Talking Can
08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
that's a well designed, and plausible (in terms of player performance) scenario.....don't have an answer yet....

Mecca
08-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I thought he was asking me more real life than this thread but ok....

But hey like I said you can't just run a guy who can't stay on the field out there over and over again. That hurts the development of your team. Yes this team needs all those things but I'd rather start with QB.

Nightfyre
08-26-2008, 06:52 PM
If I have the number one pick, I probably trade down for some really leet value.

Mecca
08-26-2008, 06:53 PM
If I have the number one pick, I probably trade down for some really leet value.

Ok a team has to want to do that, last year Miami had 0 offers, it's very difficult to move out of that pick.

the Talking Can
08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
i agree that you probably have to look at qb...but i can't speak to the value of this year's class.....croyle's scenario is tweaked so that he shows progress and fragility...obviously a tough call...i'd need subjective evidence of his play to accompany the raw numbers...i.e was he reading the field, connecting deep etc or just rolling out and dumping off....

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
If Croyle went 13/9 with a 64% completion percentage, there really wouldn't be anything to bitch about, IMO.

Oh, they would still bitch. Remember they know BRODIE SUX!!!!!

The injury thing would worry me though and if Stafford turns out highly touted I wouldn't complain one bit if they took him.

Mecca
08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh, they would still bitch. Remember they know BRODIE SUX!!!!!

The injury thing would worry me though and if Stafford turns out highly touted I wouldn't complain one bit if they took him.

There would be alot to bitch about if he gets injured since that's his #1 issue...and is put into this scenario.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2008, 07:26 PM
There would be alot to bitch about if he gets injured since that's his #1 issue...and is put into this scenario.

Which is why I said I'd go with Stafford in that situation. Sure you could complain about the injuries, but the numbers posted don't=suck.

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm still wondering why they didn't leave Albert at LT...

And if they were dead set on moving him to guard, and he did well there, why would they move him AGAIN, to RT?

that's the problem with the WHOLE organization

JASONSAUTO
08-26-2008, 07:42 PM
does anything make sense?

Mecca
08-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Which is why I said I'd go with Stafford in that situation. Sure you could complain about the injuries, but the numbers posted don't=suck.

Those numbers and injury situation make me think he'd be a good backup, that is one thing I think if we do have to draft another QB, Croyle can atleast be a solid backup.

Pasta Giant Meatball
08-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Those numbers and injury situation make me think he'd be a good backup, that is one thing I think if we do have to draft another QB, Croyle can atleast be a solid backup.

I can agree with that. No harm in having a solid backup. If he can't stay healthy that's all he's going to be and I'm not one of the bashers.

You have got to stay on the field for a team to rely on you as thier QB.

eazyb81
08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I'd go in this order:

1. QB
2. Left tackle
3. DE

The whole QB/LT argument is a chicken and the egg one. Personally, I'll take the QB, as this is now a QB League and elite ones win championships.