PDA

View Full Version : Life WTF - Job interview or scam?

Count Zarth
08-26-2008, 06:07 PM
I was just reading my email and got this out of the blue from someone who was checking out my resume on monster.com. Seems suspicious. Maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Claythan,

I would really like to interview you for an auto sales position for one of our three locations - AUTO DEALERSHIP ONE, AUTO DEALERSHIP TWO.

Having no prior experience is not a problem. You will receive a minimum $6700.00 training/bonus program and commissions. State-of-the-art training, continued mentoring, medical, dental, and a 401K.

Like you, most of our top producers come from fields unrelated to auto sales and made well over $70K last year. Stop by on the below mentioned dates only, and fill out a brief one-page application for a guaranteed interview as well as some details on what this career is all about.

Interviews for all 3 locations will be held only at the AUTO DEALERSHIP in Spring for 2 days only - Monday, Sept. 1st, and Tuesday, Sept. 2nd, between the hours of 10:00a.m. and 5p.m.

Please stop by during the above mentioned interview times only. If you have any questions you may call me on my cell phone, DELETED or email me at DELETED . I look forward to meeting you.

joesomebody
08-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd guess they mass emailed everyone who had a monster resume in the area. Just a hunch though. That or when you show up they will steal your wallet.

luv
08-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Cars sales? What key words did you have in your resume?

BWillie
08-26-2008, 06:12 PM
There are tons of careers like that. After training you probably don't get didly squat unless you sell cars. And if it's at a mainly SUV dealership, good luck. That is not to say theres no money in selling cars. I have a friend who's selling imports who does quite well for himself. Makes me want to get into sales, I'm just scared of straight commission jobs.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Scam.

I worked in the business, and NO ONE gives you any guaranteed money for "training" or "commissions."

That $6700 is probably your draw, spread out over 12 months. You're expected to earn that amount, plus some - it's basically just an advance.

And trust me, if you don't sell any cars in the first 2 months, you'll never see a dime of it.

Legit or not, stay away from anything involving car dealerships. Shady mother****ers...

Rain Man
08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
I'll bet they had a big committee of people overseeing their hiring process. Two salespeople with 15+ years of experience did the initial sweep of resumes, and they identified the top ten percent of local candidates in terms of qualifications. They then referred those resumes to the full committee, which reviewed each resume and assigned a point score to them on each of several attributes, most likely based on psychological research regarding career skills. They then identified the top ten candidates, whose resumes were forwarded to the CEO. Using his own independent evaluation system, he then ranked the candidates from 1 through 10, and his rankings went back to the full committee for review and possible revisions if the committee felt strongly enough about a candidate. At the end of this process, they identified you as the best candidate, despite you being a person who had no experience with car sales and no stated desire to do car sales. They then made you a job offer without feeling the need to conduct an interview or otherwise meet you.

Count Zarth
08-26-2008, 06:21 PM
So this is like the real life version of the Hudsucker Proxy.

The Bad Guy
08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
What type of jobs were you targeting on Monster?

Rain Man
08-26-2008, 06:40 PM
What type of jobs were you targeting on Monster?

Intergalactic bounty hunter.

sedated
08-26-2008, 06:41 PM
may not be a "scam", but 99% chance it isn't worth the time.

Probably not even worth the effort of starting a thread about.

Simply Red
08-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Commission only? Didn't really read the whole thing. Do they offer base + commission. Use words like, "Total Compensation Package" they'll like that, just be sure it's at the end of talking w/ them.

eazyb81
08-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Sounds like an awesome job if they're emailing people out of the blue and practically begging them to interview.

Simply Red
08-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Scam.

I worked in the business, and NO ONE gives you any guaranteed money for "training" or "commissions."
That $6700 is probably your draw, spread out over 12 months. You're expected to earn that amount, plus some - it's basically just an advance.

And trust me, if you don't sell any cars in the first 2 months, you'll never see a dime of it.

Legit or not, stay away from anything involving car dealerships. Shady mother****ers...

This is just flat out non true. In sales you get what is called a ramp-up package so you can load your pipeline generally training is goin on then, too, just sayin.

Simply Red
08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Sounds like an awesome job if they're emailing people out of the blue and practically begging them to interview.

maybe they got his info. off of CB or Monster.

Simply Red
08-26-2008, 06:59 PM
nice `gift horse in the mouth saying.`

Haven't heard that in a while.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 07:00 PM
This is just flat out non true. In sales you get what is called a ramp-up package so you can load your pipeline generally training is goin on then, too, just sayin.

I promise you, this does not happen inside STL car dealerships.

I've worked for several, and have many friends inside several others.

eazyb81
08-26-2008, 07:01 PM
maybe they got his info. off of CB or Monster.

If it's a good job, you will have to apply for the position on Monster instead of the company hunting down applicants.

Simply Red
08-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I promise you, this does not happen inside STL car dealerships.

I've worked for several, and have many friends inside several others.

fair enough, but I've had two positions w/ guarantee income (commission) on top of my base salary for X period of time.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 07:03 PM
fair enough, but I've had two positions w/ guarantee income (commission) on top of my base salary for X period of time.

In the car business?

Impressive. It's sink-or-swim here...

Simply Red
08-26-2008, 07:03 PM
If it's a good job, you will have to apply for the position on Monster instead of the company hunting down applicants.

but god, there are always variables, and exceptions. Especially these days... Plus if you market yourself properly and over-sell a tad, handsome companies will come-a-knockin.

Simply Red
08-26-2008, 07:05 PM
In the car business?

Impressive. It's sink-or-swim here...

no, I'm not in the car business. I guess I missed you narrowing it down to that. Fuggin ADD! Sorry if I missed that.

Hydrae
08-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I am surprised they are doing interviews on Labor Day. I would think they would be having some big sale and expect to be too busy to interview.

Phobia
08-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Do you know how many autos you could sell simply by driving a brand spanking new shiny model around the block in cities? You don't even have to talk to anybody.

Rain Man
08-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Have you considered a career in computational hypersonic propulsion scramjet design? There's very little competition for jobs in that field.

Count Zarth
08-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Have you considered a career in computational hypersonic propulsion scramjet design? There's very little competition for jobs in that field.

See, that's the problem. All my experience is in computational supersonic propulsion scramjet theory. God the economy blows.

munkey
08-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Scam.

nuff said...they're as bad if not worse than real estate agents

Rain Man
08-26-2008, 08:02 PM
See, that's the problem. All my experience is in computational supersonic propulsion scramjet theory. God the economy blows.

Well, whose fault is that? Starbucks is full of people who do computational supersonic propulsion scramjet theory. You have to think about what bosses want.

Rain Man
08-26-2008, 08:04 PM
By the way, my long-ago roommate was a computational hypersonic propulsion scramjet designer, and his specialty was something like inlet design. The good news is there's not a lot of competition, but the bad news is that if you get laid off there aren't a whole lot of other computational hypersonic propulsion scramjet design jobs to apply for.

Count Zarth
08-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, whose fault is that? Starbucks is full of people who do computational supersonic propulsion scramjet theory. You have to think about what bosses want.

Yes, but how many of them have seen EVERY episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation? I wish employers would think outside the box.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I did that once when I was a kid. I got paid $2000 a month guaranteed and didn't sell shit my first month. I still got paid. The 2nd month I sold a half dozen cars but hated every second of it. Moved on. Still, got paid. If you're down for about 11 an hour then give it a go. It couldn't hurt.

bigbucks24
08-26-2008, 09:51 PM
As someone who uses Monster and CareerBuilders to find applicants, we NEVER contact anyone by email. All initial contacts are via the phone.

KCheavy
08-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I've gotten a few emails like that one (I'm on career builder) except the ones I get are from an insurance company looking for sales people. I dont know why they want me I''m a machinist

PastorMikH
08-26-2008, 10:44 PM

If it is a good job, they probably wouldn't have to advertise for help to begin with.

PastorMikH
08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Do you know how many autos you could sell simply by driving a brand spanking new shiny model around the block in cities? You don't even have to talk to anybody.

Hmmm, maybe he could just get in the car, put a for sale sign in the window with his cell phone # on it, and keep driving around the block until the chick inside the house notices, calls the number and buys the car from him.

:)

Rain Man
08-26-2008, 11:26 PM
I've gotten a few emails like that one (I'm on career builder) except the ones I get are from an insurance company looking for sales people. I dont know why they want me I''m a machinist

Maybe they want you to sell their new "finger loss" product. A guy with only eight digits could make a fortune selling finger loss insurance.

SBK
08-26-2008, 11:57 PM
Selling cars is great if you want to be at work from 8am to 9pm every single day and enjoy having your customers, co-workers and bosses treat you like absolute garbage.

Monty
08-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Scam.

Tru Dat. I learned my first summer at KU back in '88. I thought it would be cool to sell cars during the summer break as I really didn't have many other options that year. What killed me was that I sold a new Toyota 4Runner for a little over $18,000. My take home was $169.....of which was subtracted from the draw. That was enough for me and I left. I chalked it up to a good learning experience.

Mr. Plow
08-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Maybe it's the police department doing a sting operation on writers. They are just luring you in and when you get there for your "interview" out come the cops to bust you.

King_Chief_Fan
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM

ROFL