PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues 60 children.

Direckshun
08-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Our military just killed 60 children in Afghanistan in one airstrike. Jesus.

It was reported an accident (duh), as apparently we received faulty intelligence that insurgents were hiding there.

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/world/asia/27herat.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

60 Children Among Afghan Dead, U.N. Finds

By CARLOTTA GALL
Published: August 26, 2008

KABUL, Afghanistan — A United Nations human rights team has found “convincing evidence” that some 90 civilians — among them 60 children — were killed in air strikes on a village in western Afghanistan on Thursday night, a statement issued by the United Nations mission in Kabul said, making it almost certainly the deadliest case of civilian casualties caused by any United States military operation in Afghanistan since 2001.

The United Nations the team visited the scene and interviewed survivors and local officials and elders, getting a name, age and gender of each person reported killed. The team reported that 15 people had been injured in the air strikes, which occurred in the middle of the night.

The numbers closely match those given by a government commission sent from Kabul to investigate the bombing, which put the total dead at up to 95.

Mohammad Iqbal Safi, the head of the parliamentary defense committee and a member of the government commission, said the 60 children were between three months old and 16 years old, all killed as they slept. “It was a heart breaking scene,” he said.

The death toll may even rise higher since heavy lifting gear is needed to uncover all the remains, said one Western official who had seen the United Nations report.

“This is a matter of grave concern to the United Nations,” Kai Eide, the United Nations special representative for Afghanistan said in a statement. “It is vital that the International and Afghan military forces thoroughly review the conduct of this operation in order to prevent a repeat of this tragic incident,” he said.

The United Nations report adds pressure to the United States military, which has to date said only that 25 militants and five civilians were killed in the air strikes, which were aimed at a Taliban named Mullah Saddiq. The military announced it was conducting an investigation after the high civilian death toll was reported.

The bombing occurred around midnight, the United Nations statement said. “Foreign and Afghan military personnel entered the village of Nawabad in the Azizabad area of Shindand district,” it said. “Military operations lasted several hours during which air strikes were called in.” “The destruction from aerial bombardment was clearly evident, with some 7-8 houses having been totally destroyed and serious damage to many others,” it said.

The parliamentarian, Mr. Safi, said the villagers were preparing for a ceremony the next morning in memory of a man who had died some time before. Extended families from two tribes were visiting the village and there were lights of fires as the adults were cooking food for the ceremony, he said.

How the military came to call in air strikes on a civilian gathering still remains unclear. Two parliamentarians, Mr. Safi and Maulavi Gul Ahmad, who is from the area, said the villagers blamed tribal enemies for giving the military false intelligence.

“According to the villagers their enemies give false report to Americans that foreign fighters were gathering in the village,” Mr. Safi said.

Mr. Ahmad directly blamed the United States Special Forces, who are training the Afghan National Army and were present in the joint operation. “I can’t blame the Afghan National Army for the incident as they had no authority for leading the operation,” Mr. Ahmad said.

The government commission met with the commander of the United States forces in Herat province but he declined to answer their questions, saying the United States military was conducting its own investigation, government officials said.

Russia, at odds with the United States and much of the West over its recognition of two breakaway regions in the Central Asian country of Georgia, said it would raise the issue on Tuesday afternoon at the Security Council.

Direckshun
08-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Oh god DAMMIT. Now THIS shit again.

Russia, at odds with the United States and much of the West over its recognition of two breakaway regions in the Central Asian country of Georgia, said it would raise the issue on Tuesday afternoon at the Security Council.
It just keeps coming back to us. **** it.

irishjayhawk
08-26-2008, 06:11 PM
It's clear we don't really care about Bin Laden so I don't really know why we're still over in Afghanistan.

Direckshun
08-26-2008, 06:13 PM
It's clear we don't really care about Bin Laden so I don't really know why we're still over in Afghanistan.
Oh **** me, dude.

We just killed 60 children. Could we NOT turn this into a ChiefsPlanet suckfest, for ONCE in our lives.

60 freaking kids.

Cannibal
08-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Why are we even still over there? Yeah, I'd love catch Bin Laden as much as anyone. He should be forcibly raped with a wild boar's 18" corkscrew cock, but both of these wars are throwing good money after bad. ****in find his ass so we can get that war overwith.

irishjayhawk
08-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Oh **** me, dude.

We just killed 60 children. Could we NOT turn this into a ChiefsPlanet suckfest, for ONCE in our lives.

60 freaking kids.

What do you want me to say? It's what happens when you engage in war. It's sad, it's atrocious. But that doesn't mean what I said was any less true.

BCD
08-26-2008, 06:53 PM
It's clear we don't really care about Bin Laden so I don't really know why we're still over in Afghanistan.They are still fighting the Taliban.

Direckshun
08-26-2008, 07:12 PM
GOD ****ING DAMMIT.

Moscow "is seriously concerned about a new case of mass death of civilians in Afghanistan and expresses sincere condolences to the families of those killed". The ministry "urges the command of the foreign military contingents deployed in Afghanistan to take all measures to prevent such ‘indiscriminate’ strikes that lead to the loss of human life among civilians".

http://itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=13007342&PageNum=0

I'm just a tad stressed out by this.

Direckshun
08-26-2008, 07:16 PM
On a different note (the Georgia-Russian conflict (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26403580/)), and yet pretty much the same note:

Russia President Dmitry Medvedev said, "We are not afraid of anything, including the prospect of a new Cold War."

BucEyedPea
08-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I read that more Afghanies don't like our occupation either, and this is one of the reasons...including other civilians being killed from airstrikes.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
What good does a boogeyman serve once he is caught?

Logical
08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Mistakes happen, I feel bad for the Afghanis and for our troops.

irishjayhawk
08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
They are still fighting the Taliban.

Why do we care about the Taliban?

KILLER_CLOWN
08-26-2008, 10:29 PM

QFT!

Guru
08-26-2008, 10:32 PM
On a different note (the Georgia-Russian conflict (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26403580/)), and yet pretty much the same note:
God this sucks.:(

Mr. Kotter
08-26-2008, 11:13 PM
......The United Nations report adds pressure to the United States military, which has to date said only that 25 militants and five civilians were killed in the air strikes, which were aimed at a Taliban named Mullah Saddiq......

Very, very sad and, indeed, unfortunate incident....if it pans out as this article suggests.

That said, did you over-look the part I've taken and high-lighted from your post?

Militants using CHILDREN as "human shields" and YOUR response is to lament U.S. action in this sad, sad event?

Please articulate your thoughts about the abomination of militants and terrorists using children as human shields....especially when, apparently...it may not have been obvious to our "intelligence" (I realize, I'm giving "our" guys the benefit of the doubt, that you are not....but try and humor us, if you will?)

ALSO, Please refer to my signature.

Direckshun
08-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Very, very sad and, indeed, unfortunate incident....if it pans out as this article suggests.

That said, did you over-look the part I've taken and high-lighted from your post?

Militants using CHILDREN as "human shields" and YOUR response is to lament U.S. action in this sad, sad event?

Please articulate your thoughts about the abomination of militants and terrorists using children as human shields....especially when, apparently...it may not have been obvious to our "intelligence" (I realize, I'm giving "our" guys the benefit of the doubt, that you are not....but try and humor us, if you will?)

ALSO, Please refer to my signature.
I'm not going to debate it. I'm not going to turn this to politics or military tactics.

Sixty children died today, none of them better or worse than ours.

That's just shocking and horrifying and saddening. I can't bring myself to do much more than lament that loss.

While at the same time asking HCF to suck my cock in the convention thread.

ClevelandBronco
08-27-2008, 12:44 AM
I just repped you, Direckshun, and called you Kotter.

My apologies, sir.

Here's the rep part.

That's just shocking and horrifying and saddening.

There's something homosexually suggestive that follows that part that I'd rather not rep...

Ari Chi3fs
08-27-2008, 01:32 AM

especially when "the bogeyman" was put in place by the Carlyle Group... 'allegedly'.

and yes, Im serious.

patteeu
08-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Why are we even still over there? Yeah, I'd love catch Bin Laden as much as anyone. He should be forcibly raped with a wild boar's 18" corkscrew cock, but both of these wars are throwing good money after bad. ****in find his ass so we can get that war overwith.

Why do you think finding bin Laden ends the war? Do you think that if bin Laden is captured or killed, everyone pledged to al Qaeda just goes home and gets a job dirt farming?

patteeu
08-27-2008, 07:34 AM
especially when "the bogeyman" was put in place by the Carlyle Group... 'allegedly'.

and yes, Im serious.

You sound serious. Seriously deranged.

Hog Farmer
08-27-2008, 07:54 AM

Are you really that stupid ?

Hog Farmer
08-27-2008, 07:56 AM
Oh **** me, dude.

60 freaking future suicide bombers.

FYP

Duck Dog
08-27-2008, 08:02 AM
GOD ****ING DAMMIT.

http://itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=13007342&PageNum=0

I'm just a tad stressed out by this.

Get a hold of yourself, Man. 60 children being killed is a very sad thing. It's horrible. It's unthinkable. That being said, why don't you start a thread every time children and civilians are killed by Mooj? Why not direct your passion at the MF'ers we are fighting against?

Hog Farmer
08-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Look at it this way , 60 children dead , thats sad , it really is. But you have to look at the long term consequence. Those 60 children would grow up to be 10 husbands with 30 wives. The other 20 men would be goat ****ers! Those 30 wives would have 150 children. Those would grow up to be 10 husbands with 75 wives. 65 of the men would be goat ****ers. Those 75 wives would have 375 children. That makes 10 men with 187 wives and 167 goat ****ers. So you can see where I'm going with this. We have saved a lot of goats from being sexually abused!

Duck Dog
08-27-2008, 08:05 AM
How the military came to call in air strikes on a civilian gathering still remains unclear. Two parliamentarians, Mr. Safi and Maulavi Gul Ahmad, who is from the area, said the villagers blamed tribal enemies for giving the military false intelligence.

“According to the villagers their enemies give false report to Americans that foreign fighters were gathering in the village,” Mr. Safi said.

Nice thread title. :rolleyes:

Hog Farmer
08-27-2008, 11:16 AM

and yes, Im serious.

You probably really are . Dumbass!

Iowanian
08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I thought you supported late term abortions?

HonestChieffan
08-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Obama would allow many more babies to be killed through late term abortion and you Obots wont say a thing. But in a war, accidents happen and you go running for the cliff.

Hog Farmer
08-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I thought you supported late term abortions?

ROFL

StcChief
08-27-2008, 11:33 AM
War zone..... accidents happen. At least were not cutting heads off.

RJ
08-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I think any time 60 children die, for any reason, under any circumstances and regardless of their nationality or religion, it is a sad thing.

tooge
08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
this is terrible, period. I would like to see GWB respond to something like this, what would he say, it is part of the horror of war? B freakin S. Now, having said that, lets play devils advocate here (not my opinion by the way). Isn't a country sort of asking for it by harboring terrorists? Dont the villages that harbor them and traffic them have some accountability? Cant you move away if you disagree? Of course I am not talking about the kids, so dont slam me. In fact, I think the US should get the funk out of there and leave those people alone. Just sayin

Iowanian
08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
AND.....ITs bullshit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26442592

updated 2 hours, 35 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - After reviewing a disputed airstrike on a village in Afghanistan, U.S. officials have concluded that the civilian death toll was far lower than claimed by the Afghan government and the U.N., two U.S. defense officials said Thursday.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the results of the review have not been announced publicly, said Afghan officials have been presented the findings, which say 25 militants were killed, plus five civilians. Afghan officials have said that between 76 and 90 civilians were killed.

Also, the U.S. government is pressing for a joint U.S.-Afghan probe in hopes of reaching a common conclusion about an incident that stirred outrage in Afghanistan and frustration among U.S. officials.

Logical
08-28-2008, 07:08 PM
AND.....ITs bullshit.

WASHINGTON - After reviewing a disputed airstrike on a village in Afghanistan, U.S. officials have concluded that the civilian death toll was far lower than claimed by the Afghan government and the U.N., two U.S. defense officials said Thursday.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the results of the review have not been announced publicly, said Afghan officials have been presented the findings, which say 25 militants were killed, plus five civilians. Afghan officials have said that between 76 and 90 civilians were killed.

Also, the U.S. government is pressing for a joint U.S.-Afghan probe in hopes of reaching a common conclusion about an incident that stirred outrage in Afghanistan and frustration among U.S. officials.

Jesus Iowanian, no matter what the disputed count is it is a tragedy for the families of the people and soldiers who dropped those weapons. I would think you of all people would understand that. This is not an issue that should be politicized only mourned.

irishjayhawk
08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Jesus Iowanian, no matter what the disputed count is it is a tragedy for the families of the people and soldiers who dropped those weapons. I would think you of all people would understand that. This is not an issue that should be politicized only mourned.

A better question is why would you believe the US government (the people who f*cked up) over the Afgan government, regardless of their tendency to exaggerate?

Logical
08-28-2008, 07:20 PM
A better question is why would you believe the US government (the people who f*cked up) over the Afgan government, regardless of their tendency to exaggerate?Way to not politcsize it.:rolleyes:

Bootlegged
08-28-2008, 07:21 PM
AND.....ITs bullshit.

Shocker. The "I hate America" crowd can't wait to pin something on the US. No wonder they support Hussein Obama.

clemensol
08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Shocker. The "I hate America" crowd can't wait to pin something on the US. No wonder they support Hussein Obama.

See, this is what too many people fail to understand. Criticizing America and hating America are two very different things. If anyone hates America and what America stands for, it's those who think that being critical is paramount to treason.

Iowanian
08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
The good news is....25 militant Islamic arseholes are giving buzzards a belly ache right now.

Logical
08-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Let me just say what a bunch of jackasses some of you are, children died show some respect and if you cannot you deserve to have them turn into militant Islamicist. I want to tell you another thing I have met airmen who have had to drop bombs and their greatest fear is they are 1. going to miss the target, 2. they will kill children, and 3. they will kill innocent civilians.:mad:

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Let me just say what a bunch of jackasses some of you are, children died show some respect and if you cannot you deserve to have them turn into militant Islamicist. I want to tell you another thing I have met airmen who have had to drop bombs and their greatest fear is they are 1. going to miss the target, 2. they will kill children, and 3. they will kill innocent civilians.:mad:

I've already said it's sad as hell. There's not much I can actually do about it other than get people to think like me: get the f*ck out of there so we don't do it again.

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 12:59 AM
A better question is why would you believe the US government (the people who f*cked up) over the Afgan government, regardless of their tendency to exaggerate?

Oh and I'll add that it definitely was already politicized when we're abroad killing kids (albeit by accident).

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2008, 01:01 AM
I've already said it's sad as hell. There's not much I can actually do about it other than get people to think like me: get the f*ck out of there so we don't do it again.

It is sad as hell when any innocents are killed with weapons that I've paid for, in part.

I don't want us out of there, however. Neither of the two viable candidates wants us out now either.

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 01:02 AM
It is sad as hell when any innocents are killed with weapons that I've paid for, in part.

I don't want us out of there, however. Neither of the two viable candidates wants us out now either.

If I thought our actual goal was to get Bin Laden, I'd agree we shouldn't get out. But it's clear that that's not our goal.

So we really have no excuse.

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2008, 01:06 AM
If I thought our actual goal was to get Bin Laden, I'd agree we shouldn't get out. But it's clear that that's not our goal.

So we really have no excuse.

If Sen. Obama was telling the truth tonight, then he'll go after Bin Laden.

There's the next excuse if you need one.

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 01:09 AM
If Sen. Obama was telling the truth tonight, then he'll go after Bin Laden.

There's the next excuse if you need one.

Except, I don't think he's in Afghanistan. Of course, I'm not privy to intelligence (which is so susceptible these days anyway).

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Except, I don't think he's in Afghanistan. Of course, I'm not privy to intelligence (which is so susceptible these days anyway).

If guys like you and me were privy to that kind of information, we wouldn't need to have this discussion these many years later.

patteeu
08-29-2008, 06:19 AM

Jesus Cronus, there's a huge difference between screwing up and dropping a bomb on a shitload of innocent kids and getting it right and dropping a bomb on a bunch of militants who happened to have a few civilians among them. WTF is wrong with you?

Hog Farmer
05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
WOW !!!

mikey23545
05-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Barack Obama doesn't care about children.

penchief
05-02-2009, 07:05 PM

We could always use his capture to declare victory and draw down. Then we could enlist the international community to try and execute bin Laden which would redirect some of the terrorist threat toward those nations involved in bringing him to justice. Which might then compel those nations to join with us in forging a truly international effort to turn back militant Islam and undermine the terrorist threat.

max sleeper
05-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Barack Obama doesn't care about children.

How did you come up with this statement? Go Chiefs!

Baby Lee
05-02-2009, 07:36 PM
How did you come up with this statement? Go Chiefs!

Probably didn't check the date. It wasn't until faced with the prospect of Jim posting from beyond the grave that it registered for me.

Hog Farmer
09-30-2009, 06:31 PM
How many have we got now ?

patteeu
09-30-2009, 06:33 PM
How many have we got now ?

It's not important to keep track anymore.

Hog Farmer
09-30-2009, 06:41 PM
It's not important to keep track anymore.

Why ? I'm worried about the goats !

memyselfI
09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
It won't matter. Lite is still busy pimping Chicago and probably will end up sending more troops.

blaise
09-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh and I'll add that it definitely was already politicized when we're abroad killing kids (albeit by accident).

I agree with this. The very nature of the situation makes it political. I'm sad for the kids and their families and the airmen, but I don't see how you can take the politics out of it, really.
I don't personally have anything to say about it politically, but I don't really have a problem with anyone else doing so.