PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster trade offer: B. Edwards/Edge for Gore/CJ

KevB
08-26-2008, 08:29 PM
A guy in a 4 player keeper has a team that's ready to win now. He has Manning/LT/Westbrook/Gore/Turner/F. Taylor/CJ/Harrison and filler. We start 4 WR's, so he's justifiably concerned about his WR corp, and very strong at RB obviously.

I have Derek Anderson/Portis/McGahee/Edge/DeAngelo Williams/Wayne/Edwards/Holt/Lee Evans, so I have some depth at WR.

Is losing Edwards worth getting Gore and the hope that CJ is able to play the season? I probably have the 2nd or 3rd best team on paper.

BigVE
08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I think I would probably pull the trigger on that one based on the fact that Gore has had a couple of very good years and NOW he has Martz as OC, dude does wonders for rb's. CJ is in a contract year so he will probably do pretty well this year if he stays healthy. I doubt Edward will be able to match what he did last year and IMO Edge is on the back side of his career.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Chad Johnson is going to attempt to play the season wearing a shoulder harness, and we've all witnessed what Mike Martz does to RB's - ignores them.

You're out of your mind if you make that deal, IMO.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I think I would probably pull the trigger on that one based on the fact that Gore has had a couple of very good years and NOW he has Martz as OC, dude does wonders for rb's. CJ is in a contract year so he will probably do pretty well this year if he stays healthy. I doubt Edward will be able to match what he did last year and IMO Edge is on the back side of his career.

Yeah, Martz did wonders for Kevin Jones, to the tune of about 8 carries per game...

BigVE
08-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Chad Johnson is going to attempt to play the season wearing a shoulder harness, and we've all witnessed what Mike Martz does to RB's - ignores them.

Yeah, recently but he DID do ok with a guy name Marshall Faulk. He just needs the right rb. CJ is motivated by 2 things only MONEY and ATTENTION...I'm thinking he is faking it a bit for added attention.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, recently but he DID do ok with a guy name Marshall Faulk. He just needs the right rb. CJ is motivated by 2 things only MONEY and ATTENTION...I'm thinking he is faking it a bit for added attention.

Faking a torn labrum that's been confirmed through an MRI...

That's a new one...

BigVE
08-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Faking a torn labrum that's been confirmed through an MRI...

That's a new one...

Um, sorry to interrupt your sense of knowing it all but as for sports related injuries a torn labrum is not too serious in most cases. Most times doesn't even require surgery. Pain? Yes. Discomfort? Yes. Inability to catch a football? Nope. I didn't say he was faking, I said I felt that he was "faking it a bit"...making it seem worse than it really is.

OnTheWarpath58
08-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Um, sorry to interrupt your sense of knowing it all but as for sports related injuries a torn labrum is not too serious in most cases. Most times doesn't even require surgery. Pain? Yes. Discomfort? Yes. Inability to catch a football? Nope. I didn't say he was faking, I said I felt that he was "faking it a bit"...making it seem worse than it really is.

Sense of knowing it all?

I lived it. I've had a torn labrum, and it didn't heal on it's own. Surgical repair was my only option.

I had a mild tear, and there were days I couldn't lift my arm above shoulder level.

You lose a lot of strength in that arm, and have a higher probability of the shoulder "catching" or flat out dislocating. The tear creates instability at the joint.

He's going to have a hell of a time beating press coverage, and catching balls above his head and away from his body. Plus taking the weekly pounding he's going to take.

But please, continue...

BigVE
08-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Sense of knowing it all?

I lived it. I've had a torn labrum, and it didn't heal on it's own. Surgical repair was my only option.

I had a mild tear, and there were days I couldn't lift my arm above shoulder level.

You lose a lot of strength in that arm, and have a higher probability of the shoulder "catching" or flat out dislocating. The tear creates instability at the joint.

He's going to have a hell of a time beating press coverage, and catching balls above his head and away from his body. Plus taking the weekly pounding he's going to take.

But please, continue...

You could be right and i understand your experience must have been painful. I have been there as well and guess what...no surgery was necessary. No two people react the same to these types of things but GENERALLY surgery is not required. CJ is going to milk it for all it's worth. MY POINT is that since its his contract year he will give it a better effort than normal.

KevB
08-26-2008, 11:46 PM

Those are my concerns as well. However, it's a keeper league, and even if CJ goes down he'll get it repaired for next year. On Gore, that's a tough one. He's far and away the best player on that offense in SF, and you couldn't say the same about Kevin Jones.

I have some concerns about Braylon. He's tied for the league lead in drops the last two years, and I'm not completely sold on that Browns offense. WRs are more volatile, and I've got this voice in the back of my head telling me to sell high on Braylon. Edge is basically a throw in. I think Braylon is probably the most coveted player in the deal, but not by much over a 25 year old Gore. And CJ is a significant upgrade over Edge in a keeper league. I'm leaning against it, but I don't believe it's as cut and dried as you said. I do appreciate the input though.

KevB
09-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Anybody else have any thoughts on this deal? I have to to make a decision by tomorrow morning. I'm still torn....frustrated that I haven't been able to make a call yet.