PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues The Anbar Awakenings, #1 reason for Iraq's progress, hits a snag.

Direckshun
08-26-2008, 08:34 PM
This will likely generate zero interest but whatever.

In case you weren't aware, Iraq has seen steady progress in the past year or two. Civilian casualties are down, sectarian violence has dropped, and fewer and fewer coalition forces are dying out in the field.

A part of the reason behind this is the Surge. But generally accepted to be the more prominent reasons are the disbanding of Al Sadr's armies and, most prominently, the Anbar Awakening.

The Anbar Awakening was a uniting of the Sheikhs in the Sunni parts of Iraq to call off their urban warfare with Shi'ite Iraqis and generally formed their own citizen police force to ensure the security in some of the most dangerous places in the country. Amazingly, the results have far exceeded the expectations of outsiders such as our military, even as the Surge steals all the credit.

And now they demand representation in the civil government.

Well the Awakening is being targeted by the Shi'ite government. Al Maliki's government (predominantly, if not totally, Shi'ite) has reportedly gone to lengths to prevent leaders of the movement from gaining serious positions in the government, and now Iraq's own Defense Ministry is targeting them as an opposition group...

Shit could hit the fan. This political problem that could include yet MORE civil war is far from over.

The most trouble aspect of this is how much the US has tried to get Iraq to incorporate these folks into Iraq's government, and Maliki and the Shi'ite leaders just aren't having it, period. Our influence continues to diminish, as does the idea that with reduced violence comes governmental progress in Iraq.

Ultra Peanut
08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
MONEY, MONEY
YEAH, YEAH

Logical
08-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Sad but true, more people need to understand the violence is not over, just temporarily lowered.

BucEyedPea
08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I understand that Iran is even behind quelling the Shia militia's who want the US out and if the agreement to have that happen is too vague then that could explode too. Bush administration is waffling and using weird euphemisms to give it all kinds of wiggle room.

Hey Direckshun, where'd you get that?

Direckshun
08-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I understand that Iran is even behind quelling the Shia militia's who want the US out and if the agreement to have that happen is too vague then that could explode too. Bush administration is waffling and using weird euphemisms to give it all kinds of wiggle room.

Hey Direckshun, where'd you get that?
My words, culled from several sources.

I'll post them if requested.

Reaper16
08-26-2008, 09:46 PM
MONEY, MONEY
YEAH, YEAH
LMAO

Silly <s>white</s> Middle-Eastern boys.