PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why do our special teams suck?

Mr. Laz
08-27-2008, 10:22 AM
during a rebuilding time your team should be full of young, athletic and hungry players.

i would think that your specials would should immediate benefits from that.

but our special teams and fundamentals still stuck :shrug:

RustShack
08-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Our ST. coach.

OnTheWarpath58
08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Coaching is most of it, IMO.

But even teams with good special teams coaches have poor ST units.

That typically stems from a disagreement inside the organization on how many starters and backups will play ST, or if the units are filled with the bottom of the barrel guys.

keg in kc
08-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Talent.

Poor punt didn't help Saturday, either.

Zouk
08-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Coverage units have been top 10, return units in the bottom 2 or 3 in the league over the past 2 years. I sure as hell hope that the Chiefs spent a lot of time this offseason figuring out why the return units are so bad. I think Jamaal Charles might surprise on kicks this year.

Chiefnj2
08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I think a lot of it is lack of continuity. There has been tremendous turnover in the backup players.

Top ST performers in 2005 were Scanlon, Stills and Horn.
2006 was Griffin, Brown and Grigsby.

2008 - none of those guys are around.

blueballs
08-27-2008, 11:28 AM
When you lose Scanlon and Grigsby
it will take several drafts to recover

Hog Farmer
08-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I guess for the same reason you don't use the shift key.

Rain Man
08-27-2008, 11:53 AM
It's because we can't stop opposing gunners at all. I have no idea why that's the case. I watch, and we put two players on each gunner, and then they just let him run by and chase him down the field. It drives me more crazy than anything else about this team.

If you have two guys on the gunner, the guy should never disrupt the return. Never.

biggunns
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Two words....HERM/CARL.....I say we:whip: their ass and run them out of KC.

InChiefsHell
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
It's because we can't stop opposing gunners at all. I have no idea why that's the case. I watch, and we put two players on each gunner, and then they just let him run by and chase him down the field. It drives me more crazy than anything else about this team.

If you have two guys on the gunner, the guy should never disrupt the return. Never.

Two words:

Coa-ching....

...ok, it's really only one word but...

Rooster
08-27-2008, 12:57 PM

ROFL Amen brother.

morphius
08-27-2008, 01:06 PM
The coaching staff is using the wrong definition of "special"...

dtrain
08-27-2008, 01:55 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Mr. Laz
08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
seriously .... the key word for every answer is "Rebuilding" to explain away every problem but there is no excuse for some of the existing problems.

special teams
fundamentals
effort
proper game plan
players knowing the game plan

BigVE
08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Lack of talent. Teams that are already pretty set at most starting positions are able to use NEW talent on ST's until its their time to start. We are so thin at all positions that ANY and ALL players with any talent are being used as starters and backups. ST's gets leftovers for the most part.

chiefs1111
08-27-2008, 03:56 PM
because we dont have Devin Hester..... Seriously though it's cause of bad coaching and a lack of talent here. Come to think of it,If Hester was actually here,I get the feeling he wouldn't do nearly as well.

Mr. Laz
08-27-2008, 04:17 PM
"One way to evaluate a good team, and i've said this for many years. I always watch their kicking game right away. If they have a good kickoff return team then it's usually a well coached team, that pays attention to details"

~Urban Meyer~
Florida Gators Head Football Coach
8-27-08

Reerun_KC
08-27-2008, 04:54 PM
"One way to evaluate a good team, and i've said this for many years. I always watch their kicking game right away. If they have a good kickoff return team then it's usually a well coached team, that pays attention to details"

~Urban Meyer~
8-27-08
It wouldnt take Urban Meyer long to figure out how to Kick Herms ass on a regular bases...

Rain Man
08-27-2008, 06:05 PM
I always think back to how bad Dante Hall was until Vermeil and Gansz arrived. I think a good special teams coach is quite valuable, and too often we end up with bad ones. If Gansz's teams are performing well, I can't figure out why we fire him just to bring aboard a buddy of the new coach.

~Urban Meyer~
8-27-08

evolve27
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM

You forgot Gary Stills.

Douche Baggins
08-27-2008, 06:13 PM
We have pretty good coverage units. If Savage and Barth pan out I'd say our special teams is pretty strong.

morphius
08-27-2008, 06:33 PM
seriously .... the key word for every answer is "Rebuilding" to explain away every problem but there is no excuse for some of the existing problems.

special teams
fundamentals
effort
proper game plan
players knowing the game plan
after what we did to a Herm Edwards coached Jets team a few years, well, really, are there really any questions?