PDA

View Full Version : News Mariotti Resigns from Chicago Sun-Times

Frazod
08-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, I guess I can go back to reading the Sun-Times now. Uber-douche Jay Mariotti abruptly quit today, apparently after bilking the Sun-Times out of a free trip to Beijing. Apparently Jay and his ego are only good enough for Around The Horn and the internet. I say good riddance.

Here's a link to story, as well as numerous pages of THANK GOD HE'S GONE comments, which seem to outnumber supportive comments about 10 to 1. He's losing the "Will you miss Mariotti?" vote by a 4 to 1 margin.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1128603,mariotti082708.article?plckCurrentPage=0&sid=sitelife.suntimes.com

rad
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I've seen him on the Horn, seems like a pompous ass.

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 03:21 PM
:clap:

Buehler445
08-27-2008, 03:29 PM
I'd rather him retire from journalism.

Posted via Mobile Device

Fruit Ninja
08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I'd rather him retire from life.

Posted via Mobile Device

i wouldnt say something stupid like this quote, but he is a douche.

Frazod
08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I finally quit buying the Sun-Times because of him. What a horrendous, whiny bitch. He's like Kornheiser, if Kornheiser was a bitter, jilted woman. It amazes me that he has any sort of journalistic credence at all.

Some of those comments are funny as hell. I didn't think anything could bring together all Chicago fans (and haters), but contempt for this slimeball has done it.

Fruit Ninja
08-27-2008, 03:46 PM
At least Kornhole is decent on PTI. Jay is freaking horrible all the way around.

alpha_omega
08-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I've seen him on the Horn, seems like a pompous ass.

I don't particularly like him...but it would seem that you could say the same thing about everyone on that show.

Frazod
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't particularly like him...but it would seem that you could say the same thing about everyone on that show.

I wouldn't know. I can only take a couple of seconds of any of those pompous pricks before I have to change the channel.

Buehler445
08-27-2008, 04:00 PM
i wouldnt say something stupid like this quote, but he is a douche.

That was out of line. My bad. Edited to just journalism.

Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
08-27-2008, 04:07 PM
Here's a link to another local article.

http://cbs2chicago.com/sports/jay.mariotti.quits.2.803995.html

alpha_omega
08-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't know. I can only take a couple of seconds of any of those pompous pricks before I have to change the channel.

I agree....i would almost rather watch reruns of "Murder She Wrote" or "Golden Girls".

DJay23
08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
He's still sitting in front of a Sun-Times office on Around the Horn today.

Stewie
08-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Around the Horn is the most ill-conceived, contrived, piece of shit on TV.

Frazod
08-27-2008, 04:44 PM
He's still sitting in front of a Sun-Times office on Around the Horn today.

Must be a fake backdrop.

Chief Henry
08-27-2008, 04:48 PM
The print media is in trouble and they don't know why ???

Baconeater
08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I used to listen to him on his national morning sports talk show years ago, I think is was for One on One Sports Network, he never really bothered me. I don't watch Around the Horn and I don't read the Chicago Sun Times so maybe I'm missing something.

chiefs1111
08-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Now if only he'll leave ESPN....

Sure-Oz
08-27-2008, 04:56 PM
He sounds like a know it all on that espn show and is loud

Tits McGee
08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
The pro Jay camp is gaining a little traction from a 4-1 to 3-1 ratio. So I voted no, twice, like a true democrat.

Pablo
08-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Good. He was a pretty loud, dumb c*cksucker on PTI.

Ari Chi3fs
08-27-2008, 05:04 PM
**** Mariotti. Finally, something Frazod and I can agree on.

:cheers:

Phobia
08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
The guy isn't a blip on my radar. I recognize the name but I'm not sure I've ever read any of his work. Yawn.

Dunit35
08-27-2008, 11:19 PM
I can't stand Around the Horn. I can't staind woody paige and skip bayless. If I happen to be watching ESPN and their shows come on I immediately turn it or listen to thinking how dumb they are.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2008, 11:30 PM
You could send Mariotti, Woody Paige, and Skip Bayless to the gulag for all I care.

irishjayhawk
08-27-2008, 11:33 PM
You could send Mariotti, Woody Paige, and Skip Bayless to the gulag for all I care.

You could send most of ESPN to the gulag and no one but the East Coast would care.

Uncle_Ted
08-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Bayless and Mariotti are both know-it-all tools. I kinda like Woody Paige though ... he usually doesn't make a lot of sense but he's funny in a buffoonish sort of way.

irishjayhawk
08-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Not all of Around the Horn is bad. When they had good journalists on there, it was pretty good. Michael Smith comes to mind.

Phobia
08-27-2008, 11:36 PM
You could send most of ESPN to the gulag and no one but the East Coast would care.

I watch ESPN roughly 7x per year.

Dunit35
08-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I just can't watch any show with woody and skip on it. Especially skip...he is the biggest dumbass on espn.

Dunit35
08-27-2008, 11:38 PM
I watch ESPN roughly 7x per year.

I watch NFL Live at times when there is nothing interesting on and I'll watch games but that's about it.

Thig Lyfe
08-27-2008, 11:51 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

It was funnier before the edit.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-27-2008, 11:55 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

This is the internet. Anything goes. Just ask Kirstie Tynes' momma.

Count Alex's Wins
08-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Where are the details on his free trip to Beijing?

SNR
08-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Bayless and Mariotti are both know-it-all tools. I kinda like Woody Paige though ... he usually doesn't make a lot of sense but he's funny in a buffoonish sort of way.I agree. Woody makes comedy out of what the show isn't supposed to be.... a mockery

Goapics1
08-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Sox on Mariotti's split: 'It's about time'
REACTION | The self-proclaimed tough-guy columnist never faced his targets, and that's the main reason he was considered a coward in clubhouses

August 28, 2008Recommend (20)

BY CHRIS DE LUCA cdeluca@suntimes.com
BALTIMORE -- Word of Jay Mariotti's split with the Chicago Sun-Times reached the White Sox' clubhouse minutes after their victory Tuesday night against the Baltimore Orioles, and the reaction could be heard outside.

Once again, Mariotti should've been there to witness it first-hand.

"Am I enjoying this? Yes, because he tried to make my life miserable." -- Ozzie Guillen, Sox manager and frequent target, reacting to Mariotti’s departure.
(Sun-Times file, Tom Cruze/Sun-Times)

Ozzie Guillen -- the top target of the venom-spewing columnist who called for the Sox to fire their manager this season despite the team being in first place -- said his e-mail inbox had a record number of new arrivals by Wednesday afternoon.

It was a steady stream of digital high-fives.

''When people wish the worst on people, you have to be careful because the baseball gods are going to get you,'' Guillen said. ''He was not asking just for my job, he was asking for thousands and thousands of people's jobs over the years. I'm not going to say I will get the last laugh because I will get fired from this job. But the day I get fired is the day I lose interest in this game.

''Am I enjoying this? Yes, because he tried to make my life miserable. He did everything in his power to make my life go the wrong way, but he didn't make me miserable because I don't believe him. Maybe if somebody else wrote that stuff about me, then I would put attention on it. And that's what he wanted. He wanted attention. He has to thank me because I gave him a lot of [stuff] to work with. I know I helped him the last four years to make his money, and, obviously, he did not help me at all to make my money.''

Mariotti spent the better part of his first day divorced from the Sun-Times acting like a scorned lover. He wants you to believe there was a greater principle involved -- one that somehow loomed larger than his ego. He wants you to believe that newspapers -- specifically the two biggest ones in Chicago -- are dying.

Once again, Mariotti was playing fast and loose with the facts.

''It's about time,'' said Sox broadcaster Ken ''Hawk'' Harrelson, another favorite target of Mariotti's. ''I know one thing, when he got that [contract] extension three or four months ago, he wouldn't have signed that extension if the things he's saying about the Sun-Times now were true. So he's spinning it again.

''We have some great newspapers in Chicago, and the Sun-Times has some great writers. He tried to give readers the perception that he was in the clubhouse getting all the stuff, that he was in the dugout getting all that stuff, when he was never there.''

The Sun-Times was a vibrant, relevant newspaper long before Mariotti arrived 17 years ago. It remains one today. The Sun-Times has built its reputation as being a bulldog covering the city and being the No. 1 source for sports and entertainment coverage. You want to know about the Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls or Blackhawks, you read the Sun-Times -- either off the rack or on the Internet.

Much to Mariotti's surprise, there are bigger names at the paper. Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper enjoy the kind of international following envied by journalists everywhere. Rick Telander has a national appeal Mariotti never could match. There are hardworking reporters, editors and photographers who come to work every day, do their jobs the right way and somehow remember they're just a small part of a very big team.

One page does not make a newspaper.

A flip-flopper to the end
And now Mariotti says the printed page is a dinosaur. He has embraced the Internet as his new forum.

We're talking about a columnist who detested bloggers -- mainly because he was easy fodder for their biting humor. He acted as if he stood on a level above bloggers. Most of the better bloggers have the kind of wit he couldn't touch.

Are bloggers bad? Absolutely not.

But those of us who work at newspapers have one edge over the blogging world. We have access to the players, coaches, managers and front-office executives. We can talk to key figures on and off the record to get insight unavailable to others. It's a privilege most of us don't take lightly. To not use it to our advantage is a waste -- of our energy and the readers' time.

''I think people stopped believing what he was writing because we let the fans know what the real situation was and how he was dealing with the athletes,'' Guillen said. ''Not just the White Sox or Cubs, all athletes. He never showed up. He just said what he wanted to say without ever showing up.''

Not once in the last eight years can I recall seeing Mariotti in the Cubs' or Sox' clubhouse. With a press credential that allowed him access to every major sporting event and every major figure, he hasn't broken a single story in that time. He says Chicago is a weak market, the competitive edge gone. He has only himself to blame.

When Lou Piniella was hired by the Cubs, the Sun-Times reported it first. Mariotti had no role in that major story. He says the market has gone soft. If that's true, he played as big a role in the softening as anyone else.

He called his colleagues soft, forgetting we're the ones who had to face his targets on a daily basis. We were the ones who had to deal with the anger that he was too cowardly to face himself. We got the quotes that made up the bulk of his columns.

In spinning his story to the Chicago Tribune, Mariotti depicted the Sun-Times as the Titanic, and it was clear the self-proclaimed tough guy was knocking over the old women and children to be the first to jump ship.

''I'm a competitor, and I get the sense this marketplace doesn't compete,'' said Mariotti, who will remain a regular contestant on an ESPN game show.

''Probably the days of high-stakes competition in Chicago are over. To see what has happened in this business ... I don't want to go down with it.''

Stand-up guy to the end.

Good riddance
Sun-Times editor Michael Cooke said it best.

''We wish Jay well and will miss him -- not personally, of course -- but in the sense of noticing he is no longer here, at least for a few days,'' Cooke said. ''A paper, like a sports franchise, is something that moves into the future. Stars come and stars go, but the Sun-Times sports section was, is and will continue to be the best in the city.''

Today, it's a little better.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1131768,CST-SPT-deluca28.article

Wow! I guess no one cared for him at the Sun Times either. Busting his balls in this article today.

Skip Towne
08-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Sounds like a nice guy.

Miles
08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x234/ctbob/douche.jpg

NaptownChief
08-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Ozzie Guillen says Mariotti is still a fag. ROFL

RustShack
08-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Next stop, Kansas City Star!

Goapics1
08-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Actually, he was the only reason I would check out that website. Wanted to see what he was bitching about on a daily basis. Oh well.

Frazod
08-28-2008, 10:20 AM
I really like the article by DeLuca - one of the guys who actually went out in the trenches that Mariotti was too much of a puss to enter - and had to deal with the backlash and the bullshit. That had to get old. Jay doesn't seem much more qualified to offer opinions on sports than any of us - he only wrote about stories broken by other journalists or events he watched from the stands or on TV, just like us. No contact with team members or management, no inside stuff, no broken stories, just second hand rants. Only his were on page 2 of the sports section. How the hell does that happen?

Anyway, it sounds like his long suffering co-workers won't miss him any more than, well, anybody else.

Short Leash Hootie
08-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Seriously...do any of you like any sports writers?

I agree, Mariotti sucked and so did Skip Bayless, Bayless worked for the Tribune and was ran out of town in 6 months...

But that's what they do...just like Whitlock...they rile everyone up, everyone reads them so they can bitch about them, and they generate interest...that's why they are employed.

Short Leash Hootie
08-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I really like the article by DeLuca - one of the guys who actually went out in the trenches that Mariotti was too much of a puss to enter - and had to deal with the backlash and the bullshit. That had to get old. Jay doesn't seem much more qualified to offer opinions on sports than any of us - he only wrote about stories broken by other journalists or events he watched from the stands or on TV, just like us. No contact with team members or management, no inside stuff, no broken stories, just second hand rants. Only his were on page 2 of the sports section. How the hell does that happen?

Anyway, it sounds like his long suffering co-workers won't miss him any more than, well, anybody else.

and he probably made the most out of any of these guys...why? Because his approach sells papers. Be a dick, rile everyone up, get in the news, have Ozzie Guillen call you a faggot...generates interest.

Goapics1
08-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Seriously...do any of you like any sports writers?

Sure.
JWhit
Kravitz - Indy Star
Daugherty - Cincy Enquirer
Simers - LA Times

To name a few. All make me chuckle in some fashion.

Frazod
08-28-2008, 10:30 AM
His approach didn't sell papers to me. I quit buying the Sun Times specifically because of him.

irishjayhawk
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
http://deadspin.com/5043228/roger-ebert-gives-jay-mariotti-a-strategically-placed-thumb-on-his-way-out-the-door

Dear Jay,

What an ugly way to leave the Sun-Times. It does not speak well for you. Your timing was exquisite. You signed a new contract, waited until days after the newspaper had paid for your trip to Beijing at great cost, and then resigned with a two-word e-mail: "I quit." You saved your explanation for a local television station.

As someone who was working here for 24 years before you arrived, I think you owed us more than that. You owed us decency. The fact that you saved your attack for TV only completes our portrait of you as a rat.

Newspapers are not dead, Jay, and this paper will not die because you have left. Times are hard in the newspaper business, and for the economy as a whole. Did you only sign on for the luxury cruise?

There's an old saying that you might have come across once or twice on the sports beat: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Newspapers are not dead, Jay, because there are still readers who want the whole story, not a sound bite. If you go to work for television, viewers may get a little weary of you shouting at them. You were a great shouter in print, that's for sure, stomping your feet when owners, coaches and players didn't agree with you. It was an entertaining show. Good luck getting one of your 1,000-word rants on the air.

The rest of us are still at work, still putting out the best paper we can. We believe in our profession, and in the future. And we believe in our internet site, which you also whacked as you slithered out the door. I don't know how your column was doing, but we have the most popular sports section in Chicago. The reports and blog entries by our Washington editor Lynn Sweet have become a must-stop for millions of Americans in this election year. After a recent blog entry I wrote about the Beijing Olympics, I woke up at 5 a.m. one morning, when North America was asleep, and found that 40 percent of my 100 most recent visitors had been from China. I don't have any complaints about our web site. So far this month my web page has been visited from almost every country on earth, including one visit from the Vatican City. The Pope, no doubt. Hope you were doing as well.

You have left us, Jay, at a time when the newspaper is once again in the hands of people who love newspapers and love producing them. You managed to stay here through the dark days of the thieves Conrad Black and David Radler. The paper lost millions. Incredibly, we are still paying Black's legal fees.

I started here when Marshall Field and Jim Hoge were running the paper. I stayed through the Rupert Murdoch regime. I was asked, "How can you work for a Murdoch paper?"

My reply was: "It's not his paper. It's my paper. He only owns it."

That's the way I've always felt about the Sun-Times, and I still do. On your way out, don't let the door bang you on the ass.

Your former colleague,

Roger Ebert

Woodrow Call
08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
PWNED

KcMizzou
08-28-2008, 07:23 PM
PWNEDLMAO

No kidding. Go Ebert.