PDA

View Full Version : Football Burnt Ends........

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 05:22 PM
SUCK.

After reading countless threads about Jack Stack, Gates etc...I pulled the trigger and ordered pork ribs, Kobe burnt ends with cheesy corn bake and hickory beans. Followed the directions and defrosted slowly and heated lightly, resulting in a resounding...meh.
The beans and ribs were OK but I was expecting BURNT ends literally! I mean, the ends were barely brown! If I order burnt ends......by god thats what I want!! Here on the West Coast, the only thing (I've heard) comparable is Famous Daves, which I don't necessarily like. To compound things, I ate it watching the Chiefs shit on themselves against the Phins.
Anywhere else thats worth considering that also ships......?

MTG#10
08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Famous Dave's is horrible. Ive never ordered them through the mail, but fresh Jack Stack burnt ends are pretty good. Not the best Ive had but good.

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Maybe thats whats wrong.....not fresh off the grill? Really disappointed tho at $100 for the order, you'd think it would be screamin'. Seriously not all that

Baconeater
08-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm guessing nothing that gets shipped across the country is going to be all that great.

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Your mistake was probably getting the wagyu beef burnt ends. That said, burnt ends are probably not what you think they are. In no way are they simply really-burnt bits of meat.

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm guessing nothing that gets shipped across the country is going to be all that great.

They shipped in a styrofoam container filled with dry ice enclosed in a box. Everything was frozen solid, no gripes there. According to their website, it's all flash frozen right out the oven/grill and supposed to be at optimum eating potential. Ribs and side dishes were OK but again.......not impressed if that's the best KC has to offer.

BTW....burnt means BURNT....wtf?

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Your mistake was probably getting the wagyu beef burnt ends. That said, burnt ends are probably not what you think they are. In no way are they simply really-burnt bits of meat.

Understood.....but these pieces were barely brown! Is that the way their supposed to be? Is it different in person?

Valiant
08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
They shipped in a styrofoam container filled with dry ice enclosed in a box. Everything was frozen solid, no gripes there. According to their website, it's all flash frozen right out the oven/grill and supposed to be at optimum eating potential. Ribs and side dishes were OK but again.......not impressed if that's the best KC has to offer.

See.. What you just wrote, makes no sense to me at all..

Sure they can do it, but nothing comes close to right off of the grill and on to your plate.. I can see a picture of the grand canyon and it is meh.. But you have to BE THERE to experience the thing..

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Understood.....but these pieces were barely brown! Is that the way their supposed to be? Is it different in person?
I've never had their kobe ends, which are shipping-only. It's a much different type of beef to prepare than your normal breeds. I'm guessing they were cooked less to accommodate for all of the marbling in kobe beef.

Jack Stack's burnt ends are probably some of the least dark in the city, too.

Baby Lee
08-27-2008, 05:58 PM

They should be slightly crispy, like a brisket version of crispy bacon with the rendered fat and full of smoke flavor. Sneads in Belton has [had?] the best I ever ate.

I would imagine reheating them, even in an oven, would make them soggier than the first time around with the rendered fat broken down.

Heaven help you if your microwaved them.

milkman
08-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Since this topic wasn't about Tamba and Tank, I have no interest.

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 06:06 PM
See.. What you just wrote, makes no sense to me at all..

Sure they can do it, but nothing comes close to right off of the grill and on to your plate.. I can see a picture of the grand canyon and it is meh.. But you have to BE THERE to experience the thing..

I'm not asking for, nor am I paying for the just off the grill experience. Makes perfect sense to me. If you see a blue car advertised, then order it, and receive a white car, would that make you happy? When I see advertising for burnt ends, I'd, at the very least, expect some sort of "searing" of the meat, browning if you will.
If I want the "experience"......I'll fly down there, I get it.

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
They should be slightly crispy, like a brisket version of crispy bacon with the rendered fat and full of smoke flavor. Sneads in Belton has [had?] the best I ever ate.

I would imagine reheating them, even in an oven, would make them soggier than the first time around with the rendered fat broken down.

Heaven help you if your microwaved them.
Nope, didn't microwave em'. Oven at 350.......
Doe's Sneads ship?

Reaper16
08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm not asking for, nor am I paying for the just off the grill experience. Makes perfect sense to me. If you see a blue car advertised, then order it, and receive a white car, would that make you happy? When I see advertising for burnt ends, I'd, at the very least, expect some sort of "searing" of the meat, browning if you will.
If I want the "experience"......I'll fly down there, I get it.
There there was no browning at all, then that is complaint worthy. I'd call or e-mail to see what can be done about it; I know those ends didn't come cheap.

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
At the risk of being redundant....I prolly should have just re-grilled em' on the Q. Just trying to follow the directions, which were hard core best results this way.
If there's a next time, I'll try that.

Anyone know of a better place?

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 06:13 PM
There there was no browning at all, then that is complaint worthy. I'd call or e-mail to see what can be done about it; I know those ends didn't come cheap.

Good point.....I'll call tommorrow

JASONSAUTO
08-27-2008, 06:24 PM
WE actually had jack stack last weekend in kc at the freighthouse and we were not impressed either. we would not eat there again, high prices, food not so good. i grew up in kc and was wishing that we went to earl quicks

Skip Towne
08-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Years ago, Bryant's would give their burnt ends to the neighborhood kids. Frank White was one of the street urchins who hung around to get them.

CoMoChief
08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Gates = overrated.

milkman
08-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Years ago, Bryant's would give their burnt ends to the neighborhood kids. Frank White was one of the street urchins who hung around to get them.

So, the moral of the story is, eat Bryant's burnt ends and you'll grow up to be one of the best defensive 2nd baseman to ever play the game, who also has a penchant for clutch hits?

Skip Towne
08-27-2008, 06:56 PM
So, the moral of the story is, eat Bryant's burnt ends and you'll grow up to be one of the best defensive 2nd baseman to ever play the game, who also has a penchant for clutch hits?

And your friends will call you "Smoooth"

kstater
08-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Why would you pay $100 for burnt ends?

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Why would you pay $100 for burnt ends?

I've asked myself that very question 10 times already.
Wouldn't have minded if it was worth it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I've always sworn by Smokehouse burnt ends.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Your first problem was buying burnt ends from anywhere not named Arthur Bryant's or Gates. Jack Stack is decent BBQ, but their burnt ends suck.

Secondly, burnt ends are the over-smoked, very well done portions of the point... excellent stuff, but they really aren't burned. They're very well done.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2008, 07:39 PM
I've never had their kobe ends, which are shipping-only. It's a much different type of beef to prepare than your normal breeds. I'm guessing they were cooked less to accommodate for all of the marbling in kobe beef.

Jack Stack's burnt ends are probably some of the least dark in the city, too.

To reiterate, Jack Stack's burnt ends suck. My least favorite in the city.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Gates = overrated.

I like Gates better than anywhere else, but I typically just buy their burnt end sandwich, which IMHO is the best thing you can outside of my back yard.

Saleenman607
08-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Your first problem was buying burnt ends from anywhere not named Arthur Bryant's or Gates. Jack Stack is decent BBQ, but their burnt ends suck.

Secondly, burnt ends are the over-smoked, very well done portions of the point... excellent stuff, but they really aren't burned. They're very well done.

Very well.......Does Bryant's or Gates ship?

Yeah......I'm a sucker for some burnt ends

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2008, 08:13 PM
http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/
http://www.gatesbbq.com/

gblowfish
08-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Burnt ends are really greasy and hard to preserve. Better choice would have been ribs, turkey or ham.

Fire Me Boy!
08-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Burnt ends are really greasy and hard to preserve. Better choice would have been ribs, turkey or ham.

I don't know... burnt ends never make it to the fridge around my house.

MTG#10
08-27-2008, 08:23 PM
http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/
http://www.gatesbbq.com/

Looks like they only ship their sauces and rubs...no food.

cookster50
08-29-2008, 06:16 AM
That said, burnt ends are probably not what you think they are. In no way are they simply really-burnt bits of meat.

Better tell that to Arthur Bryants, nastiest thing I've ever tried.

cookster50
08-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Your first problem was buying burnt ends from anywhere not named Arthur Bryant's or Gates.

Bryant's must have been off their game the one time I tried them, because they were the worst things ever.

petegz28
08-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Famous Dave's is horrible. Ive never ordered them through the mail, but fresh Jack Stack burnt ends are pretty good. Not the best Ive had but good.

I've had Famous Dave's twice and it SUCKS!

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2008, 06:29 AM
I've had Famous Dave's twice and it SUCKS!

The worst thing about this post is "twice". :shake:

triple
08-29-2008, 06:41 AM
jack stack - best
gates - ok
famous dave's - below average
bryant's - most overrated restaurant in history

KCUnited
08-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Bryant's must have been off their game the one time I tried them, because they were the worst things ever.

They were terrible the last time I was there as well. Too much grisle and they were drowning in sauce. I like sauce, but this was like burnt end soup.

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2008, 06:44 AM
jack stack - best

Everyone's allowed to have their own opinion, but clearly, you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

This is Exhibit No. 4,564,677 why n00bs shouldn't be allowed to post without moderation. :p

Stewie
08-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Why would you buy such a thing? Frozen and reheated Q? Bleh!

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Why would you buy such a thing? Frozen and reheated Q? Bleh!

I do it with my own, but I don't think I'd ever have something shipped to me. BBQ actually freezes pretty well, especially if you'll vacuum seal it.

Stewie
08-29-2008, 07:15 AM
I do it with my own, but I don't think I'd ever have something shipped to me. BBQ actually freezes pretty well, especially if you'll vacuum seal it.

I eat leftover BBQ all the time but it's no where near as good as when it comes right off the smoker. I certainly wouldn't judge BBQ quality if all I did was eat "leftovers" mailed to me.

ChiefsFan4Life
08-29-2008, 07:18 AM
I think Fire Me Boy gets an orgasm every time he types that he doesn't like burnt ends from Jack Stack

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
I think Fire Me Boy gets an orgasm every time he types that he doesn't like burnt ends from Jack Stack

ROFL No... I just feel strongly about Jack Stack's burnt ends being shit.

I like the rest of their BBQ, but their burnt ends just aren't burnt ends.

Baby Lee
08-29-2008, 08:22 AM
I eat leftover BBQ all the time but it's no where near as good as when it comes right off the smoker. I certainly wouldn't judge BBQ quality if all I did was eat "leftovers" mailed to me.

Especially burnt ends, kind of like evaluating french fries after microwaving them.

triple
08-29-2008, 08:24 AM
jack stack is not good? did you lose your tongue in a grilling accident?

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2008, 08:36 AM
jack stack is not good? did you lose your tongue in a grilling accident?

Their burnt ends are not burnt ends, that's my stance. As such, their "burnt ends" suck ass. The rest of their q is pretty good. I'd say if they'd name their burnt ends "cubed brisket" they'd have damn good cubed brisket.

Moral: They taste good, but they're not burnt ends.

Skip Towne
08-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Everyone's allowed to have their own opinion, but clearly, you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

This is Exhibit No. 4,564,677 why n00bs shouldn't be allowed to post without moderation. :p

Amen

alpha_omega
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Interesting....just a side note to this thread.

I stopped in for lunch at Gates on Linwood and Main yesterday. They were out of burnt ends and said it would be 30 mins until they were ready. It was straight up noon...i would have thought they would have them ready by noon. WTF?

And...i can't imagine that anything flash frozen can be even compared to something right out of the kitchen.

Pitt Gorilla
08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
It used to be that nobody wanted burnt ends, so they were cheap to order and pretty awesome. Now, they're the specialty at Jack Stack. WTF?

BTW,
"burnt" ends shouldn't be dark.

asdf
08-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Mmmmm.... just got back from the Jack.....
Pork burnt ends, beans and fries
:drool:

keg in kc
08-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Burnt ends are my favorite. Can't remember where, but there was this one place that used to mix ham and beef, that was pretty interesting.

Fire Me Boy!
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Interesting....just a side note to this thread.

I stopped in for lunch at Gates on Linwood and Main yesterday. They were out of burnt ends and said it would be 30 mins until they were ready. It was straight up noon...i would have thought they would have them ready by noon. WTF?
Sometimes there's a run on burnt ends. The reason they could run out is because only a certain part of each entire brisket yields burnt ends. Therefore, if you don't get them early, there's a pretty good chance you won't get them at all.

JASONSAUTO
08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
jack stack - best
gates - ok
famous dave's - below average
bryant's - most overrated restaurant in history

last i knew arthur bryants was owned by the same family that ran The Golden Ox into the ground. rauschelbach's IIRC

JASONSAUTO
08-29-2008, 05:16 PM
if you can ruin a GREAT steakhouse you can ruin anything

JASONSAUTO
08-29-2008, 05:18 PM
now that i think about it Bill wasnt so bad it was his maniacal son jerry who was terrible