PDA

View Full Version : Elections Rove tried to kill Lieberman VP pick

dirk digler
08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Karl is now trying to make decisions for McCain.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12922.html

Republican strategist Karl Rove (http://search.politico.com/results.cfm?subject=Karl+Rove) called Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) (http://search.politico.com/results.cfm?subject=Joseph+Lieberman) late last week and urged him to contact Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) (http://search.politico.com/results.cfm?subject=John+McCain) to withdraw his name from vice presidential consideration, according to three sources familiar with the conversation.

Lieberman dismissed the request, these sources agreed.

Lieberman “laughed at the suggestion and certainly did not call [McCain] on it,” said one source familiar with the details.

“Rove called Lieberman,” recounted a second source. “Lieberman told him he would not make that call.”

Rove did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Rove, President Bush (http://search.politico.com/results.cfm?subject=George+W.+Bush)’s former top campaign adviser and arguably the most prominent political operative of the past generation, has no formal role in McCain’s campaign. But he knows much of the Arizona senator’s high command and has been offering informal advice, both over the phone and in his position as a Fox News (http://search.politico.com/results.cfm?subject=FOX+News+Network+LLC) analyst, since McCain wrapped up the GOP (http://search.politico.com/results.cfm?subject=U.S.+Republican+Party) nomination.

His decision to wade into the vice presidential selection process could provide Democrats fresh ammunition to tie McCain to the polarizing Bush.

It is also chafing some Lieberman allies and others wary of the selection of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (http://search.politico.com/results.cfm?subject=Mitt+Romney).

“Rove is pushing Romney so aggressively some folks are beginning to wonder what's going on,” grumbled one veteran Republican strategist.

From his perch on Fox, Rove has touted McCain’s fierce primary rival as strong vice presidential material.

“Romney is already vetted by the media, has strong executive experience both in business and in government, has an interesting story to tell with saving the U.S. Olympics, and also helps McCain deal with the economy, because he can speak to the economy with a fluency that McCain doesn’t have,” Rove said on “Fox News Sunday” in June.

The sources spoke about Rove’s involvement after Robert Novak, writing his first column since being diagnosed with brain cancer, reported Wednesday that McCain and some of his close associates would like to tap Lieberman for the number two slot but that putting an abortion-rights-supporting former Democrat on the Republican ticket was likely to be unrealistic.

The column said Lieberman had made that clear to McCain personally at the behest of a “close friend,” but a Lieberman source called that “totally and absolutely false.”

Reached by phone, Novak would say only: "I don't talk about my sources."

The maneuvering comes just days before McCain is to publicly unveil his pick Friday at a large rally in Ohio. A senior campaign official said Wednesday that McCain has settled on his ticket mate and that the person is to be notified Thursday.

Lieberman has his advocates, especially among those who believe McCain needs to make a transformative pick to help disassociate himself from Bush and the GOP, but most establishment Republicans believe tapping the Connecticut senator would blow up next week’s Republican convention in St. Paul, Minn., and create major problems for McCain and the conservative base of the party this fall.
A source close to Lieberman said: "If it's Lieberman, none of us know about it" — meaning staff, aides and friends. The source said Lieberman is currently on vacation on Long Island, N.Y.

BucEyedPea
08-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I hope Mac f's up.

Ultra Peanut
08-27-2008, 09:32 PM
It's pretty clear that McCain wants Lieberman. If it's anyone else, it will be obvious that the men from on high made the call.

banyon
08-27-2008, 09:34 PM
He should pick Palin, he would win with that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2008, 10:18 PM
He should pick Palin, he would win with that.

Aside from identity politics, I don't understand why people have been pimping Palin, as she is currently under investigation from her own state because of her allegedly trying to have her office muscle out her ex-brother in law as a state employee.

The last thing a major Republican ticket needs is ties to even more corruption.

Mr. Kotter
08-27-2008, 10:21 PM
It's pretty clear that McCain wants Lieberman. If it's anyone else, it will be obvious that the men from on high made the call.

:rolleyes:

Nice way to set the table for a "men on high, MADE this call!" post in the next couple of days.

Personally, I'd like a Lieberman choice; but I don't expect it.

Mr. Kotter
08-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Aside from identity politics, I don't understand why people have been pimping Palin, as she is currently under investigation from her own state because of her allegedly trying to have her office muscle out her ex-brother in law as a state employee.

The last thing a major Republican ticket needs is ties to even more corruption.

I think it was a TIC post by banyon, but maybe I'm wrong.... :shrug:

Direckshun
08-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Haven't we ALL been saying this in this forum here for weeks, maybe months?

That McCain has ceded the final say to Schmidt and the Rovian campaign, and that's why he has transformed and time after time we learn that his preference has been overruled.

Of COURSE McCain wants Leiberman. McCain WANTS a united country again after the exhausting divisiveness of the past 8 years.

But McCain has ceded control of his campaign to a group of folks that exist in the exact type of politics he wanted to replace. They don't want Leiberman, they want Romney. And they'll probably get him.

It makes you feel sorry for McCain, but it exposes the obvious truth: if the man can't handle his own staffers, he can't handle this office.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Haven't we ALL been saying this in this forum here for weeks, maybe months?

That McCain has ceded the final say to Schmidt and the Rovian campaign, and that's why he has transformed and time after time we learn that his preference has been overruled.

Of COURSE McCain wants Leiberman. McCain WANTS a united country again after the exhausting divisiveness of the past 8 years.

But McCain has ceded control of his campaign to a group of folks that exist in the exact type of politics he wanted to replace. They don't want Leiberman, they want Romney. And they'll probably get him.

It makes you feel sorry for McCain, but it exposes the obvious truth: if the man can't handle his own staffers, he can't handle this office.

McCain doesn't want anything other than power. You are giving the man credit he doesn't deserve. He is the one who spoke of running an honorable campaign only to hire the bastard brood of Lee Atwater (may he burn in hell).

MGRS13
08-27-2008, 10:30 PM

Why shouldn't Rove and the rest of the GOP make this decision, they seem to be making the rest of them. It's no wonder McCains had to flipflop so many times allready they don't seem to brief him on "his" platform untill after he's asked the questions. If they'd just give him the same talking points they give rush and hannity the morning before he'd seem a lot smarter.

HolmeZz
08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Lieberman doesn't unite the country.

Mr. Kotter
08-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Lieberman doesn't unite the country.

The ONLY folks left behind would be the moonbat left.....Reagan Dems, Blue-dog Dems, Independents, and liberal Republicans would like a Lieberman VP nomination.

SBK
08-27-2008, 10:57 PM
The ONLY folks left behind would be the moonbat left.....Reagan Dems, Blue-dog Dems, Independents, and liberal Republicans would like a Lieberman VP nomination.

And conservatives, you know, the vast majority of the republican party.

Mr. Kotter
08-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Most conservatives I know could care less about the VP choice. :shrug:

If you mean the ones who DO care....the lunatic fringe right wing nut jobs; I apologize for not including them.

;)

Ultra Peanut
08-27-2008, 11:06 PM
The ONLY folks left behind would be the moonbat left.....Reagan Dems, Blue-dog Dems, Independents, and liberal Republicans would like a Lieberman VP nomination.That is retarded. You are retarded.

SBK
08-27-2008, 11:11 PM
That is retarded. You are retarded.

+1

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2008, 11:17 PM

ROFL

ClevelandBronco
08-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Talk to us more about what men do.

Twit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2008, 11:19 PM

Twit.

You really need your ass whipped, you know that?

ClevelandBronco
08-27-2008, 11:24 PM
You really need your ass whipped, you know that?

Oh.

Yeah.

I forgot.

You're one of those tough teachers.

**** off, Humus.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Oh.

Yeah.

I forgot.

You're one of those tough teachers.

**** off, Humus.

I'm really starting to wonder if someone tied this guy up and poured Drano down his asshole. He's been the biggest sniveling bitch I've ever seen the last three days.

Seriously dude, look into taking some Thorazine, I think it would do a world of good for you.

Ultra Peanut
08-27-2008, 11:34 PM

Twit.I am all-powerful. I see fully what the merely powerful are unable to fathom.

ClevelandBronco
08-27-2008, 11:35 PM
I am all-powerful. I see fully what the merely powerful are unable to fathom.

Now that's something to dig.

HolmeZz
08-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Where the hell do you get the impression Lieberman has any kind of appeal? He's a liberal on everything, except foreign policy. That's it. Outside of some old Jews in Florida, he'd probably prove to be more of a liability to McCain in most other places.

Lieberman would be a pretty awful pick for McCain, though I'd give McCain a bit of credit for caring more about potentially governing than simply winning the election.

HolmeZz
08-27-2008, 11:47 PM
What's been your problem lately, CB?

ClevelandBronco
08-27-2008, 11:53 PM
What's been your problem lately, CB?

Apparently you've mistaken who I am.

Guys such as humus and Frankie are going to catch shit from me. They're twits.

I will continue to honor the seat that Sen. Obama occupies.

I'm not sure what to say other than that.

beer bacon
08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm confused, is this the thread where we pretend Karl Rove and the neocons don't control the GOP?

ClevelandBronco
08-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm confused, is this the thread where we pretend Karl Rove and the neocons don't control the GOP?

I hope not.

SNR
08-28-2008, 12:07 AM

The last thing a major Republican ticket needs is ties to even more corruption.She's a HELL of a lot nicer to look at than Joe Biden, though

dirk digler
08-28-2008, 06:08 AM

LMAO

Half the republican party would leave in droves if Lieberman was picked

Ultra Peanut
08-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Let's go Romney!

CLAP CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP!

penchief
08-28-2008, 06:32 AM
A part of me hopes he picks Lieberman for two reasons. One, it's not going to please the religious fundamentalists in the republican party and, two, it's not going to really attract any Reagan democrats. Regardless of Lieberman's liberal stance on a lot of issues the democratic party, as a whole, views Lieberman as someone who betrayed the party by running against the democratic nominee in his own state just so he could join forces with the republican party and its presidential candidate to advocate four more years of Bush Policy.

penchief
08-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Let's go Romney!

CLAP CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP!

If democrats keep pounding away on the issues that they did last night (Bush economic policy) Romney could be an albatross considering that his own campaign was centered around more tax cuts for the wealthiest and more deregulation (both ideals that have contributed to our current disaster).

Romney is advocating more trickle down and less accountability which is just an extension of Bush economic policy. I think that could ultimately backfire for McCain.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 06:51 AM
LMAO

Yeah. I'm sure they'd just go ahead a vote for Obama then: that or they'll just stay home and allow Obama to be elected without a fight. My bad. Guess I lost my head.

dirk digler
08-28-2008, 06:57 AM
Yeah. I'm sure they'd just go ahead a vote for Obama then: that or they'll just stay home and allow Obama to be elected without a fight. My bad. Guess I lost my head.

The Christian Right would absolutely stay home. You do realize that Lieberman is rated 100% by NARAL and didn't support the Partial-Birth Abortion bill don't you?

LMAO

Go read Novak's column that he put out yesterday about what a disaster it would be to pick Lieberman.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 07:01 AM
The Christian Right would absolutely stay home. You do realize that Lieberman is rated 100% by NARAL and didn't support the Partial-Birth Abortion bill don't you?

LMAO

Go read Novak's column that he put out yesterday about what a disaster it would be to pick Lieberman.

Abortion, as an issue that will actually keep people home....keep them from voting (or voting third party,) would mean about 2% (probably less) of the population IMHO.

We talk about it a lot, there is tremendous passion and hand-wringing about it....but it's way, way over-rated IMHO. And Novak is a clown, IMHO.

dirk digler
08-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Abortion, as an issue that will actually keep people home....keep them from voting (or voting third party,) would mean about 2% (probably less) of the population IMHO.

We talk about it a lot, there is tremendous passion and hand-wringing about it....but it's way, way over-rated IMHO.

Maybe to you and me but to the Christian right it is a huge issue. Tony Perkins was throwing a fit because McCain wanted to change the language to put exemptions in for rape, incest and health of the mother. He said if they put those in they would not support McCain.

Also Lieberman is just a liberal as Obama except on Iraq and a couple of foreign policy issues.

dirk digler
08-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Novak: Avoiding a Lieberman Disaster (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2069168/posts)
<small> Creators Syndicate ^ (http://www.freerepublic.com/%5Ehttp://www.creators.com/opinion/robert-novak/avoiding-a-lieberman-disaster.html) | August 27, 2008 | Robert D. Novak </small>
<small></small>
Reports of strong support within John McCain's presidential campaign for Independent Democratic Sen. Joseph Lieberman as the Republican candidate for vice president are not a fairy tale. Influential McCain backers, plus McCain himself, would pick the pro-choice liberal from Connecticut if they thought they could get away with it.

But they can't get away with it -- and this has been made clear to McCain by none other than Joe Lieberman himself.

Lieberman surely doesn't know that much about Republican politics, but he has close Republican friends. One of them prevailed on Lieberman to tell McCain that a McCain-Lieberman ticket would be a disaster for all concerned, and especially for the GOP.

Actually, Lieberman is a heroic figure among Republicans for having risked his Senate seat to support President George W. Bush's war policy. But aside from the war, he votes the straight liberal line, including pro-choice on abortion. Lieberman's Republican friend told him that the Republicans would leave Minnesota in a state of disarray with a McCain-Lieberman ticket, alienating social conservatives who now make up the core of Republican voters.

At the heart of the desire for Lieberman as running mate is a basic strategic disagreement between the Bush and McCain high commands.

McCain's top strategists argue that the Bush coalition that won the last two presidential elections is dead and must be replaced by a new one that extends to the left, as Lieberman would.

Bush strategists disagree, asserting that McCain is getting around 90 percent of the old Bush vote and can win the election with a few moderates added in.

The Republican operative who urged Lieberman to dissuade McCain from picking him believes that there is still a very useful role for the maverick Democrat in this campaign: as McCain's secretary of state. . .

oldandslow
08-28-2008, 07:34 AM

We talk about it a lot, there is tremendous passion and hand-wringing about it....but it's way, way over-rated IMHO. And Novak is a clown, IMHO.

Rob:

I respect your opinion, but you are 100% wrong here. At least 10% of the repub base are pro-life, single issue voters. They will stay home or vote Barr before they vote for Joe L.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 07:35 AM
...Also Lieberman is just a liberal as Obama except on Iraq and a couple of foreign policy issues.

A whole lot of folks have foreign policy/national security as their foremost concern, and issue in deciding who to vote for too.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Rob:

I respect your opinion, but you are 100% wrong here. At least 10% of the repub base are pro-life, single issue voters. They will stay home or vote Barr before they vote for Joe L.

They'd be voting for McCain, not Lieberman; that's how most will, and should, view it.

I realize that your characterization is the general perception. And in SD you are right.

On a national scale though, if you vet the polling data on abortion.....there is much more talk, than action. And when push comes to shove, it's not nearly AS important of an issue to most Americans....than we "think" it is, IMHO.

dirk digler
08-28-2008, 07:55 AM
A whole lot of folks have foreign policy/national security as their foremost concern, and issue in deciding who to vote for too.

Not the Christian right. Social issues like abortion and gay rights are #1 to them.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Not the Christian right. Social issues like abortion and gay rights are #1 to them.

But those folks would never have considered voting for Obama in the first place.

dirk digler
08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
But those folks would never have considered voting for Obama in the first place.

True but if Lieberman is the VP they won't vote for McCain either and that is 1/3 of the party.

ROYC75
08-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Rob, I can respect your opinion on Joe, but as a VP, I have to say no. But I do agree that a seat on McCains cabinet is very well welcomed.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 09:21 AM
True but if Lieberman is the VP they won't vote for McCain either and that is 1/3 of the party.

Well, we'll agree to disagree.

I think abortion is a lot like global warming; a whole lot of people blow a lot of smoke and hot air on the subject.....and when it comes down to it, they climb into their SUV, hop on their chartered flights, and keep doin' whatever they want to.

dirk digler
08-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Well, we'll agree to disagree.

I think abortion is a lot like global warming; a whole lot of people blow a lot of smoke and hot air on the subject.....and when it comes down to it, they climb into their SUV, hop on their chartered flights, and keep doin' whatever they want to.

It is just not abortion Rob. He has the EXACT same views as Obama on gun control, stem-cell research, and immigration.

He is totally out of step with the conservative wing of the party EXCEPT on Iraq and a few foreign policy stances.

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 10:02 AM
It is just not abortion Rob. He has the EXACT same views as Obama on gun control, stem-cell research, and immigration.

He is totally out of step with the conservative wing of the party EXCEPT on Iraq and a few foreign policy stances.

Foreign affairs/National security, taxes, and the economy are, by far...far, THE most important issues.

EVERYTHING else....even the stuff that gets a lot of lip-service and smoke-blown, is way over-rated by most "analysts" and talking heads.

It's the reason Obama should win; and it's the reason Lieberman's position on marginal social issues wouldn't/shouldn't be a real deal-breaker here.

Except that we live in a 24/7 news cycle that would make the choice, politically, difficult in the divisive and vitriolic polarized climate of today.

dirk digler
08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Foreign affairs/National security, taxes, and the economy are, by far...far, THE most important issues.

EVERYTHING else....even the stuff that gets a lot of lip-service and smoke-blown, is way over-rated by most "analysts" and talking heads.

It's the reason Obama should win; and it's the reason Lieberman's position on marginal social issues wouldn't/shouldn't be a real deal-breaker here.

Except that we live in a 24/7 news cycle that would make the choice, politically, difficult in the divisive and vitriolic polarized climate of today.

I agree and those top 3 things you listed he only agrees with McCain on foreign policy. He is just as liberal as Obama on taxes and the economy and I would add he is liberal on national security as well.

The only real difference between him and Obama is on Iraq

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 10:29 AM
I agree and those top 3 things you listed he only agrees with McCain on foreign policy. He is just as liberal as Obama on taxes and the economy and I would add he is liberal on national security as well.

The only real difference between him and Obama is on Iraq

Psssss...sssssst! Hey, dirk! Wanna know a secret?

There isn't REALLY a huge difference between McCain and Lieberman on taxes and the economy either. I mean, in reality. In the real world. You know, the one we live in. Where such legislation will be a bundle full of partisan compromises and give-and-take anyway.

Remember that world? ;)

alnorth
08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
McCain shouldnt need Rove or anyone else to tell him not to nominate Lieberman. It should be a no-brainer unacceptable choice that he wouldnt make on his own without prompting. I will be dead-ass stunned if it happens.

The political reasons are obvious, pro-choice will alienate the hard-core christians into staying home in november, etc. A more cynical calculator may assume that Lieberman will bring in far more than they lose because of his "independance", and the christians wont really stay home, etc. I get all that.

Beyond that though, Lieberman is just not a very good candidate on his own merits regardless of his beliefs. He doesnt give a good speech, and he freakin sucks in debates. He has somehow charmed his Connecticut voters, but beyond those borders he has very little appeal to anyone else.

patteeu
08-28-2008, 12:54 PM
McCain shouldnt need Rove or anyone else to tell him not to nominate Lieberman. It should be a no-brainer unacceptable choice that he wouldnt make on his own without prompting. I will be dead-ass stunned if it happens.

The political reasons are obvious, pro-choice will alienate the hard-core christians into staying home in november, etc. A more cynical calculator may assume that Lieberman will bring in far more than they lose because of his "independance", and the christians wont really stay home, etc. I get all that.

Beyond that though, Lieberman is just not a very good candidate on his own merits regardless of his beliefs. He doesnt give a good speech, and he freakin sucks in debates. He has somehow charmed his Connecticut voters, but beyond those borders he has very little appeal to anyone else.

I couldn't agree more.

patteeu
08-28-2008, 12:55 PM

I think that's the alcohol talking.

Calcountry
08-28-2008, 01:01 PM
McCain doesn't want anything other than power. You are giving the man credit he doesn't deserve. He is the one who spoke of running an honorable campaign only to hire the bastard brood of Lee Atwater (may he burn in hell).Oh, so you believe in Hell?

J Diddy
08-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I think that's the alcohol talking.

McCain is ****ed up?

that explains alot

patteeu
08-28-2008, 01:12 PM
McCain is ****ed up?

that explains alot

Speaking of not being clever... /crossthread :p

Calcountry
08-28-2008, 01:16 PM
I play pin the tail on the Donkey if he nominates Lieberman.

Maybe I wright in a Conservative to be named later.

Calcountry
08-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Where the hell do you get the impression Lieberman has any kind of appeal? He's a liberal on everything, except foreign policy. That's it. Outside of some old Jews in Florida, he'd probably prove to be more of a liability to McCain in most other places.

Lieberman would be a pretty awful pick for McCain, though I'd give McCain a bit of credit for caring more about potentially governing than simply winning the election.McCain doesn't need help in Florida, and Loserman has already been on the bottom half of a losing ticket, wtf would McCain be stupid enough to go there. Oh yeah, it's McCain we are talking about.

Calcountry
08-28-2008, 01:22 PM
LMAO

I would have to catch up to my ass that is already out the door I left so fast.

Calcountry
08-28-2008, 01:24 PM
The way I see the race, if McCain wins any one of these states: (Michigan, Minnesota, Colorado, Pennsylvania) it is over.

Very well could be PAWLENTY, or however you spell it.

Hog Farmer
08-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Twit.

ROFL

patteeu
08-28-2008, 01:32 PM
The way I see the race, if McCain wins any one of these states: (Michigan, Minnesota, Colorado, Pennsylvania) it is over.

Very well could be PAWLENTY, or however you spell it.

My guess is Pawlenty just because I don't think Lieberman or Romney really make that much sense (unless they think Romney could really help win Michigan in which case Romney would make a lot of sense).

SBK
08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I play pin the tail on the Donkey if he nominates Lieberman.

Maybe I wright in a Conservative to be named later.

For someone dorky enough to look I called Lieberman months ago.

Ultra Peanut
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
The way I see the race, if McCain wins any one of these states: (Michigan, Minnesota, Colorado, Pennsylvania) it is over.What? Giving him Virginia AND Ohio AND Colorado, he still only ties Obama. It would take a Herculean effort to take all three of those AND PA/MN/MI.

alnorth
08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I would be fine with Pawlenty, Romney, or Kay Hutchison. I dont like Guiliani, the Huckaboom would be a bad choice, and Lieberman would be a damned disaster for anything but a cabinet post.

Of those 3, Kay is probably the weakest candidate, but might make up for it based on the novelty she would represent.

I really dont have much of a preference between those 3.

alnorth
08-28-2008, 05:10 PM
update: I dont know if this is news or not, but Pawlenty abruptly cancelled all public appearances that were scheduled for the next few days. No one is talking, but thats rather obvious. So, apparently McCain is going to try for the old political move of picking the favorite son of a needed state. We'll see how it works out.