PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz: Chiefs may keep 2 fullbacks

SNR
08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Few Jobs Left On Chiefs RosterAugust 28, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

The Chiefs will play their fourth pre-season outing Thursday night against the Rams, but there’s not much players can do in the game to win a job on the final 53-man roster.

That’s because most of the decisions have already been made. There may be two or three spots that are in doubt among the players on the roster right now. Even those last players that make the 53-man group on Saturday need to understand that things will be very fluid after the league cuts come down on Saturday afternoon. The Chiefs will actively pursue players they feel will provide an upgrade to their roster, especially at two spots: linebacker and offensive line.

So what jobs remain open? Well, one spot is obvious. The others not so much. Here’s my view:

KICKER - Flip a coin on this one between Nick Novak and Connor Barth. As he has throughout the competition, Novak would seem to have an edge because of his game experience, although it’s not much. Barth however, responded well earlier this week when the team brought in veteran Jay Feely and they had a kickoff. Barth won the two-day competition. That’s impressive given the fact that he had to believe he was kicking for his roster life. This could go either way.

3RD TIGHT END - The last spot comes down to veteran J.P. Foschi and last year’s seventh-round draft choice Michael Allan. Right now, based on special teams participation it looks like Foschi has the edge there. Plus, he has the Chan Gailey connection, having played for the Chiefs offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech.

FULLBACK - Would you believe it’s starting to look like the Chiefs may carry both Mike Cox and Chris Manderino. Bothare very active in the kicking game. Cox will probably be the starter on offense but there’s now a very good chance both players will make the 53-man list.

LAST OFFENSIVE LINE SPOT - The way this breaks down, the Chiefs will be looking for an inside player because they have four tackles already penciled into jobs. That means it should come down to former draft pick Tre Stallings, rookie free agent Edwin Harrison and free agent Travis Leffew. This is another spot where the Chiefs may use the waiver wire to fill the ninth blocking position.

LINEBACKER - The Chiefs are not happy with their depth at linebacker. They would normally carry seven, but right now they have only five they like. That group does not include veteran Napoleon Harris. If he’s released, you will know that the move away from free agent veterans has taken root and is growing. There’s no way Harris should make the roster. He’s not a starter and he doesn’t participate on special teams. If he’s kept, it will strictly be as insurance. Expect one, maybe two linebackers to be claimed off the waiver wire. Rookie free agent Wes Dacus should make the squad.

FIFTH CORNERBACK - How about a 5th and 6th corner? That’s a real possibility for the first version of the 53-man roster. RIght now, Dimitri Patterson is the fourth corner. That leaves three guys - second-year men Rashard Barksdale and Tyron Brackenridge and rookie free agent Maurice Leggett - fighting for two spots. I like Brackenridge and Leggett.

Micjones
08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
We have so many talented Halfbacks I don't think it's prudent to keep two FB's.

I think we really need to make room for Savage on the roster.
He's a young player with talent, tenacity, and upside. He can play a role in making this a successful rebuilding endeavor.

And honestly, are we going to use a Fullback enough in the offense to warrant having two of them?

Mike Cox will do. 4 Halfbacks. Good day...

OnTheWarpath58
08-28-2008, 01:08 PM

He's a young player with talent, tenacity, and upside. He can play a role in making this a successful rebuilding endeavor.

And honestly, are we going to use a Fullback enough in the offense to warrant having two of them?

Couldn't agree more.

InChiefsHell
08-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Soooo...we could have kept Boomer then, just for the ST play?

Mr. Laz
08-28-2008, 02:03 PM
so they might keep 6 RB's (plus a RB/KR/PR)on the roster? :spock:

Larry Johnson (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/larry_johnson/)
<table summary="Kansas City Chiefs depth chart. Offense."><tbody><tr><td>
</td> <td>Kolby Smith (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/kolby_smith/)</td></tr></tbody></table>Jackie Battle (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/jackie_battle/)
Dantrell Savage (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/dantrell_savage/)
Jamaal Charles - KR/PR (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/jamaal_charles/)

Mike Cox (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/mike_cox/)
Chris Manderino (http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/chris_manderino/)

Micjones
08-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Can't see them carrying 7.
They'll probably load up on both lines, carry 7 LB's and keep 6 DB's.

OnTheWarpath58
08-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Can't see them carrying 6.

Me either, but if they do, it better be because the kept Savage AND Battle, and not 2 FB's.

Micjones
08-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Me either, but if they do, it better be because the kept Savage AND Battle, and not 2 FB's.

Can't see that either.
I think 5's a good number.
Gives you plenty of HB depth AND you get to hang on to Savage.

Buehler445

Wholeheartedly agree. It would be dumb to let Savage walk.

This team went through 5 runningbacks last year. That doesn't even include the FBs on the roster. Savage can return the ball AND be an emergency RB. IMO, the decision is easy.

Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack
Gretz is a dumb shit.

Micjones
Wholeheartedly agree. It would be dumb to let Savage walk IMO.

This team went through 5 runningbacks last year. That doesn't even include the FBs on the roster. Savage can return the ball AND be an emergency RB. IMO, the decision is easy.

Posted via Mobile Device

That's what worries me about this staff though.
When there is every reason to make a decision...
They seem to go the other way.

OnTheWarpath58
08-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Can't see that either.
I think 5's a good number.
Gives you plenty of HB depth AND you get to hang on to Savage.

Me neither, but IF, then...

No need to take more than 4RB's and a FB int the season, IMO.

Micjones
08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Not when that may be your strongest position.

I think injuries are gonna be a problem for both lines so...
We need to load up there.

Calcountry
08-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Gretz is a dumb shit.ROFL

Swazey
08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
chrismanderino.com <---- Live the dream.

Mecca
08-28-2008, 06:19 PM
If they carry 2 FB's the Chiefs have 0 understanding of how to actually use your roster space.