PDA

View Full Version : Elections What's your Obama tax cut?

Direckshun
08-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Figure it out yourself:

http://alchemytoday.com/obamataxcut/

FINALLY, somebody is putting Obama's theories into tangible examples.

I'm loving this.

All numbers are from the non-partisan Tax Policy Center. Obviously, you'll note that filling out your taxes is a lot more complicated than just listing your income, filing status, and number of children -- these are estimates based upon the stated policies of the candidates and average deductions claimed by folks in similar economic conditions.

SBK
08-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Mine fell somewhere between kick in the balls and nuthooks.

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Hmm. Not enough for it to be an issue for me on income tax.

also go down the list. It will only tell your results with McCain if NcCain costs you more. LOL

Also, if you are single and make 200G's you'll get a t-cut. If you make 100G's you won't.

Dick Bull
08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
john mccain is teh devil

he wants to charge me $500 more

put that in an attack ad

Direckshun
08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Hmm. Not enough for it to be an issue for me on income tax
Certainly enough to mostly deflate the concept that McCain = lower taxes, Obama = higher taxes.

Woodrow Call
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Obama -489.98
McCain +456.11

Dick Bull
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Hmm. Not enough for it to be an issue for me on income tax

so taxes aren't an issue?

:)

Dick Bull
08-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Certainly enough to mostly deflate the concept that McCain = lower taxes, Obama = higher taxes.

dammit I was trying to set him up

then you knocked all the pins down

:cuss:

Garcia Bronco
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
so taxes aren't an issue?

:)

Not income tax according to the applet

Direckshun
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
dammit I was trying to set him up

then you knocked all the pins down

:cuss:
I'm not into "foreplay."

Chief Henry
08-28-2008, 02:32 PM
:bong:

The Tax Policy Center is partisian...:rolleyes:

|Zach|
08-28-2008, 02:35 PM

Sure.

chasedude
08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Hmm. Not enough for it to be an issue for me on income tax.

also go down the list. It will only tell your results with McCain if NcCain costs you more. LOL

Also, if you are single and make 200G's you'll get a t-cut. If you make 100G's you won't.

I noticed this too. @ 150k single no kids I'd get 235.76, @ 200k same stuff, 2775.62

Singin... "One of these things are not like the other, one of these things do not belong..."

King_Chief_Fan
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
riiiighhhht. and who is going to remind Obama about this calculation?

but, but, but....the alchemy calculation said........................

BigCatDaddy
08-28-2008, 02:48 PM
If he were elected can we do one according to this plan and one for the plan that actually he puts in place?

$18 a week for Obama. Keep it and balance the damm budget.

Chief Henry
08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Sure.

Oh sure, the Brookings Institute and the Urban think tank are very
non partisian ROFL

Direckshun
08-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

And guess what tax brackets that occurs in...

Dick Bull
08-28-2008, 03:57 PM
I noticed this too. @ 150k single no kids I'd get 235.76, @ 200k same stuff, 2775.62

Singin... "One of these things are not like the other, one of these things do not belong..."

pretty much goes without saying they wealthier you are the better you'll do under mccain

NewChief
08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Your Obama Tax Cut is: $980.92
John McCain would tax you $179.33 MORE than Barack Obama.

chasedude
08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
pretty much goes without saying they wealthier you are the better you'll do under mccain

This is Obama's taxcut, I'm glad it's just a webpage that I don't take serious.

patteeu
08-28-2008, 05:42 PM
By "non-partisan" they must mean "liberal". Tax Policy Center is a joint venture between the Brookings Institution and the Urban Center Institute, both of which are left wing think tanks. They aren't MoveOn.org, but that's not saying much. It would be like having the Heritage Foundation and Grover Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform performing a "non-partisan" analysis of the candidate's respective tax policies. Please.

:spock: You have no idea how these calculations are being made and you, apparently, don't know who it is that came up with the methodology (beyond simply accepting their claim to be non-partisan) and you consider this "certainly enough" to deflate that concept? Sometimes you're pretty analytical, but I think you're full-on in-the-tank for Obama at this point.

RINGLEADER
08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
The tax rates don't personally impact me at all -- and if Obama wins he's earned the right to do what he wants with the money. But what I don't get is why he wants to raise taxes on anyone when lower taxes increase revenues. I'm not a big fan of punitive taxation (be it on the rich, oil companies, or whatever). Runs counter to the free-market capitalist in me.

banyon
08-28-2008, 09:34 PM
John McCain would tax you $456.27 MORE than Barack Obama.

banyon
08-28-2008, 09:37 PM
By "non-partisan" they must mean "liberal". Tax Policy Center is a joint venture between the Brookings Institution and the Urban Center Institute, both of which are left wing think tanks. They aren't MoveOn.org, but that's not saying much. It would be like having the Heritage Foundation and Grover Norquist's Americans for Tax Reform performing a "non-partisan" analysis of the candidate's respective tax policies. Please.

:spock: You have no idea how these calculations are being made and you, apparently, don't know who it is that came up with the methodology (beyond simply accepting their claim to be non-partisan) and you consider this "certainly enough" to deflate that concept? Sometimes you're pretty analytical, but I think you're full-on in-the-tank for Obama at this point.

How exactly would they fudge these numbers? The calculations aren't really that complex. Surely it would be easy to point out the mathematical error present in the forumla.

*edit* In fact, now that I look at the site, the Tax Policy center has nothing to do with the site. The site just took the tax tables from the Policy Center's site to make their calculations. The tax tables are what they are, there's no altering that.

wazu
08-28-2008, 09:40 PM
How exactly would they fudge these numbers? The calculations aren't really that complex. Surely it would be easy to point out the mathematical error present in the forumla.

Does the formula include Obama's increase in Social Security taxes?

Dick Bull
08-28-2008, 09:41 PM
This is Obama's taxcut, I'm glad it's just a webpage that I don't take serious.

your choice
it is what it is

banyon
08-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Does the formula include Obama's increase in Social Security taxes?

For people making over $90k?

ChiTown
08-28-2008, 10:35 PM
"Your Obama Tax Cut is: You will probably not get an Obama Tax Cut"

Guru
08-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, but when you consider how the rich will get taxed, the rich will pass that expense right back down to us. Trickle down works both ways.

Smed1065
08-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Tax cut? You will not get a tax cut from either. Can not compute.

McCane will finance a rebate from China to better the economy with interest.

Ugly Duck
08-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Obama -$2, 034
McSame +$590

Don't the McSame bastiges realize that they can't overburden the middle class with high taxes in this economic climate? Tax the little guyz & give giant tax breaks to the wealthy, eh? How much longer will we allow the Republicans to fleece the middle class in order to give more tax breaks to the wealthiest in the land? Sorry... its our turn now, time for the middle class to catch a break instead. Time for pendulum swing.

Silock
08-28-2008, 11:10 PM
LOL

Yeah, this looks INCREDIBLY scientific.

What a ****ing joke.

Ugly Duck
08-28-2008, 11:16 PM
McCane will finance a rebate from China to better the economy with interest.

Ouch!

Dick Bull
08-28-2008, 11:21 PM
LOL

What a ****ing joke.

somebody sounds like they're not gonna get a tax cut

:(

Taco John
08-28-2008, 11:41 PM

You are embarassing yourself.

patteeu
08-29-2008, 06:40 AM
John McCain would tax you $456.27 MORE than Barack Obama.

What form does that tax increase take? Can you think of what it is that McCain has proposed that would increase your taxes by that amount?

patteeu
08-29-2008, 06:46 AM

*edit* In fact, now that I look at the site, the Tax Policy center has nothing to do with the site. The site just took the tax tables from the Policy Center's site to make their calculations. The tax tables are what they are, there's no altering that.

The "altering" takes place in the assumptions that went into making up those tax tables. Presumably, the TPC translated loose campaign language about taxes into concrete tax table results. To do this, they have to make assumptions because the candidates typically aren't very specific.

Chief Henry
08-29-2008, 07:22 AM
LOL

What a ****ing joke.

Your spot on...can you imagine doing your tax's this easily :shake:

Chief Henry
08-29-2008, 07:24 AM
You are embarassing yourself.

Your not even close to being accurate Taco Breath.

StcChief
08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
<big style="font-weight: bold; font-family: Verdana,Arial,sans-serif;"><big>Your Obama Tax Cut is: You will probably not get an Obama Tax Cut</big></big>

banyon
08-29-2008, 04:44 PM
The "altering" takes place in the assumptions that went into making up those tax tables. Presumably, the TPC translated loose campaign language about taxes into concrete tax table results. To do this, they have to make assumptions because the candidates typically aren't very specific.

What assumptions do you think the Tax Policy center is making in listing the tax tables? AFAICT it would all be purely raw data. Again, they have nothing to do with this site.

patteeu
08-29-2008, 06:42 PM
What assumptions do you think the Tax Policy center is making in listing the tax tables? AFAICT it would all be purely raw data. Again, they have nothing to do with this site.

Can you think of what it is that McCain has proposed that would increase your taxes by $450?

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 06:54 PM
<big style="font-weight: bold; font-family: Verdana,Arial,sans-serif;"><big>Your Obama Tax Cut is: You will probably not get an Obama Tax Cut</big></big>

banyon
08-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Can you think of what it is that McCain has proposed that would increase your taxes by $450?

Mr. McCain would end the longstanding exclusion from income taxes of health benefits paid by employers.

Mr. McCain would replace the exclusion with refundable health care tax credits of $2,500 per person and $5,000 per family in the hope of driving consumers into the individual insurance market.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/us/politics/09health.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&oref=slogin

It sounds like $500 would be about right.

patteeu
08-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Mr. McCain would end the longstanding exclusion from income taxes of health benefits paid by employers.

Mr. McCain would replace the exclusion with refundable health care tax credits of $2,500 per person and $5,000 per family in the hope of driving consumers into the individual insurance market.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/us/politics/09health.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&oref=slogin

It sounds like $500 would be about right.

While I agree that the former could be considered a tax increase on the individual, it's extremely rare for a left-of-center analysis to include those types of indirect taxation effects and it's not normally something that would be reflected in a tax table. But it helps illustrate my point in any event. There's a lot of room for creative analysis in that type of interpretation.

banyon
08-30-2008, 07:58 AM
While I agree that the former could be considered a tax increase on the individual, it's extremely rare for a left-of-center analysis to include those types of indirect taxation effects and it's not normally something that would be reflected in a tax table. But it helps illustrate my point in any event. There's a lot of room for creative analysis in that type of interpretation.

It's not creative, it's McCain's stated policy. He wants to include insurance premimums in your AGI and tax you on it. It's a terrible policy that I'm sure a Democratic Congress would never pass, but you have to remember that he doesn't know much about economics.

And it's not indirect, it would be on your W-2 and would be included in line 37 of your 1040. So I think it's pretty clear about the tax hike for people whose employers pay more than $2500 in health care premiums in a year.