PDA

View Full Version : Elections Well, Its Pawlenty

FD
08-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Its not being announced until tomorrow, but Pawlenty is over 80% on www.intrade.com, up 55% in the past few hours, and the markets are practically never wrong about this sort of thing.

Personally, I dont know about this choice but was never a fan of Romney.

Logical
08-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Its not being announced until tomorrow, but Pawlenty is over 80% on www.intrade.com (http://www.intrade.com), up 55% in the past few hours, and the markets are practically never wrong about this sort of thing.

Personally, I dont know about this choice but was never a fan of Romney.

If true a bad choice, Pawlenty won't put Minnesota in play, no one will.

DeezNutz
08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Missed opportunity for McCain, given the Biden selection.

HolmeZz
08-28-2008, 08:38 PM
I think that was the best choice McCain could make, given the options that were being tossed around. I think Pawlenty was the one choice that wasn't going to piss off some part of the voters he's banking on.

On the downside, I think Pawlenty doesn't give him much from the electoral map standpoint. He's not known on the national scale and I think he might dampen the inexperience attacks on Obama. I've also never seen him debate, but from what I've seen of him he comes off as kind of a quiet passive guy. That might make him vulnerable in debating Biden.

Cave Johnson
08-28-2008, 08:39 PM
McCain was boxed in to some extent by the Biden pick. I didn't think it would be Romney given that he was dispatched to Denver as an attack dog.

wazu
08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Better than Romney, but once again I really think McCain should have gone with Palin.

FD
08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
My problem with Romney as VP was that he comes off so phony as an ideologue, his selling point for him being president was that he was a supremely talented executive. A pragmatist. The problem is, VP's dont run anything. He would have just been president-in-waiting.

HolmeZz
08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Intrade doesn't mean anything

Intrade has been great in calling these things from what I've seen.

Pawlenty hasn't risen 55% in the last few hours for no reason.

Bootlegged
08-28-2008, 08:50 PM
I think he picks Limbaugh.

SBK
08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I think he picks Limbaugh.

Limbaugh wouldn't take it, he'd be getting a $40,000,000 pay cut for the next 8 years. :eek:

Nightfyre
08-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Intrade has been great in calling these things from what I've seen.

Pawlenty hasn't risen 55% in the last few hours for no reason.

its those damn speculators! :cuss:

Ultra Peanut
08-28-2008, 08:54 PM
safe, but

http://i38.tinypic.com/iw2g50.png

Logical
08-28-2008, 08:56 PM
safe, but

ROFL...QFT

Bootlegged
08-28-2008, 08:57 PM
safe, but

f u cking c rackers

Ultra Peanut
08-28-2008, 08:58 PM
It's not that he's a cracker, it's that he's an immensely boring "nice guy" who offers little else.

Bootlegged
08-28-2008, 09:00 PM
safe, but

c racker a ss c racker

Ultra Peanut
08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
oh hey you repeated yourself

that's interesting

Nightfyre
08-28-2008, 09:20 PM
a ss c racker

ass "c racker you say? c racker as in food or c racker as in verb?

jlscorpio
08-28-2008, 09:43 PM
good n pawlenty?

Mr. Kotter
08-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I live next door to MN....and if Pawlenty is the choice, it will do nothing to help McCain....except he might possibly lose by fewer points in MN.

Pawlenty is less than Jack Kemp. He is less than Dick Cheney. (political resume and 'gravitas')

2008 is going to be a repeat of 1996 if Pawlenty is McCain's choice. Republicans waste a nomination and campaign on an old guy who's "deserving" but gonna get schooled by a "change" candidate in November. Pawlenty does nothing to help McCain in any significant way.

FD
08-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Dont look now, but Romney has pulled even on intrade.

Taco John
08-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Hence why I said it is worthless....

That' doesn't mean it's worthless. Good grief. It means people are buying stock in both of them right now.

You have absolutely no understanding of economics. :rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut
08-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Dont look now, but Romney has pulled even on intrade.yessssss

yessss

dooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Taco John
08-28-2008, 11:27 PM
There are 5-10 people in America who know who the VP pick is... A bunch of nerds selling names on the internet don't matter... at all.

We'll see when it's either Pawlenty or Romney, won't we?

HolmeZz
08-28-2008, 11:28 PM
I wonder if McCain panicked after Obama's speech. ;)

The rest of the Republicans have.

Nightfyre
08-28-2008, 11:33 PM
No, it will be a suprise IMO.

Maybe you should just make a comprehensive list for your predictions.

sportsman1
08-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Well its not Mike Huckabee. He sent us out a letter stating he was not ever vetted. He is an honorable man to tell his supporters what he did.

HolmeZz
08-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Sadly, the election isn't tomorrow.... it is 68 days away, 3 debates, 1 vp debate, and Republican convention away... it will be all tied up this time next week.

The Republican Convention is going to be "Obama isn't experienced" for 4 days.

They aren't going to be able to talk about the last eight years in a good way. It's going to be all about "don't vote for that guy!".

FD
08-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Its quite possible it will be a surprise candidate. Pawlenty may have shot up after word leaked out indicating it wasn't Romney, then new news came out indicating it wasnt Pawlenty. Its possible. It could be Rudy.

Smed1065
08-28-2008, 11:38 PM

Updating it everyday would be major time consuming.

This way he can say something different every 2 days and say I said so if 1 of his 1000 "prophecies" happen.

Wait, that is his argument against Obama?

Messier
08-28-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm sure the Republican convention will be efficient and orderly, but I can't imagine what they will get the crowd excited over. They can call Obama polices and readiness into question, but they have nothing concrete about which to complain. I don't see how they can prop up their party while distancing themselves from the last eight years. How do you do that?

SNR
08-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Finally, we can give the Sam's Club Republicans somebody they can believe in!

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Finally, we can give the Sam's Club Republicans somebody they can believe in!

I'm a Costco Republican, but that's just the maverick in me.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 01:13 AM
I think that was the best choice McCain could make, given the options that were being tossed around. I think Pawlenty was the one choice that wasn't going to piss off some part of the voters he's banking on.

On the downside, I think Pawlenty doesn't give him much from the electoral map standpoint. He's not known on the national scale and I think he might dampen the inexperience attacks on Obama. I've also never seen him debate, but from what I've seen of him he comes off as kind of a quiet passive guy. That might make him vulnerable in debating Biden.

Which means he'll try to make himself look like a sympathetic figure as Biden rails him.....Bush worked that against Gore.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-29-2008, 01:23 AM
Which means he'll try to make himself look like a sympathetic figure as Biden rails him.....Bush worked that against Gore.

Yeah, and the media jumped down Gore's throat for seeming petulant that he had the gall to call Bush on his bullshit proposals and yet no one is allowed to let GW account for his "fuzzy math".

Logical
08-29-2008, 01:29 AM
ass "c racker you say? c racker as in food or c racker as in verb?Do you really think a person who posts like Lattimer knows the difference between a noun and a verb?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-29-2008, 01:30 AM
Do you really think a person who posts like Lattimer knows the difference between a noun and a verb?

I don't think Lattimer knows the difference between his hand and a piece of Charmin.

Logical
08-29-2008, 01:31 AM
The Republican Convention is going to be "Obama isn't experienced" for 4 days.

They aren't going to be able to talk about the last eight years in a good way. It's going to be all about "don't vote for that guy!".How embarrassing that they won't want to give Bush a time slot but they will have to.ROFL

penchief
08-29-2008, 08:10 AM
I wonder if McCain panicked after Obama's speech. ;)

The rest of the Republicans have.

I think that's a good observation and why a lot of people are thinking that he's going to pick Palin as a token of change in order to salvage some of the Hillary female vote. Republicans are good at that lip service game.

A Palin pick would kind of blow the inexperience charge out of the water, though.

penchief
08-29-2008, 08:25 AM

That may be the Palin strategy, too.

banyon
08-29-2008, 09:08 AM

He already guaranteed us that it wouldn't be Palin, so that pretty much seals the deal.

eazyb81
08-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Surprised people are down on this choice - I think it's a great decision and will help McCain nab many of the Hillary voters that are on the fence.

Nice outside the box thinking by McCain's staff.

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Palin is a hilariously pathetic, monumentally desperate ploy.

Awesome.

wazu
10-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Better than Romney, but once again I really think McCain should have gone with Palin.

Just bumping this, belatedly, to show that McCain listened to me on one key area of his campaign.

irishjayhawk
10-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Palin is a hilariously pathetic, monumentally desperate ploy.

Awesome.

Bumping this up as well to show Adam that UP was spot on. Probably should add borderline retarded as a descriptor to her.

jAZ
10-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Just bumping this, belatedly, to show that McCain listened to me on one key area of his campaign.

You wanted to remind people of *that*?

Logical
10-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Just bumping this, belatedly, to show that McCain listened to me on one key area of his campaign.And I bet he really regrets it now.:evil:

wazu
10-12-2008, 11:26 PM
And I bet he really regrets it now.:evil:

He'd be trailing by 12 points by now if it weren't for Palin.

irishjayhawk
10-12-2008, 11:27 PM

Which just goes to show your base is, in fact, really stupid. Both for not being able to see through the move and for not seeing Palin for the fraud she is. And idiot too.

wazu
10-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Which just goes to show your base is, in fact, really stupid. Both for not being able to see through the move and for not seeing Palin for the fraud she is. And idiot too.

Thanks, man! You made a lot of good points in that post.

Logical
10-12-2008, 11:30 PM
He'd be trailing by 12 points by now if it weren't for Palin.I guess you are paying no attention to how poorly your ticket (Palin's) is doing with independents ever since she proved she is not qualified to be on the national stage. Almost all swing states have moved to Obama since the Couric debacle, it is not about national numbers (they don't matter anyway, ask Gore) it is about states.

irishjayhawk
10-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks, man! You made a lot of good points in that post.

I thought so.

You are almost the only one on this board who's defended her. Even Pat the Rat has a hard time.

Direckshun
10-12-2008, 11:58 PM
I bet McCain wishes this were true.

el oh el

jAZ
10-13-2008, 12:04 AM

The suggestion that she adds more value than his other options seems unrealistic. Mike Huckabee would seem to deliver that same Christian base she's appealing to, only with a credibility that he is capable of understanding the details of the issues we face and a populist prespective that would be a homerun in this crisis.

He'd have McCain within 3-5 points, if not in the lead at this point, IMO. He's be leading the political strategy rather than draging it down.

wazu
10-13-2008, 12:06 AM
The suggestion that she adds more value than his other options seems unrealistic. Mike Huckabee would seem to deliver that same Christian base she's appealing to, only with a credibility that he is capable of understanding the details of the issues we face and a populist prespective that would be a homerun in this crisis.

He'd have McCain within 3-5 points, if not in the lead at this point, IMO. He's be leading the political strategy rather than draging it down.

The main difference between Huckabee and Palin is Huckabee is a fiscal liberal. Palin pulled in conservatives from both the fiscal and social areas of the party.

And aside from the "appearances" B.S., her two years as governor have been much better than Huckabee's reign in Arkansas, at least as far as conservatives are concerned.

jAZ
10-13-2008, 12:12 AM
The main difference between Huckabee and Palin is Huckabee is a fiscal liberal. Palin pulled in conservatives from both the fiscal and social areas of the party.

And aside from the "appearances" B.S., her two years as governor have been much better than Huckabee's reign in Arkansas, at least as far as conservatives are concerned.
You seem to value ideology over rudimentary competence. I think most of the public disagrees with you and while Huck isn't the ideolog that you'd support, his liberal leanings is what the public is leaning towards at this point.

You seem to have trouble conflating your ideology with widespread public opinion. Libertarians are a dramatic minority in this country.

wazu
10-13-2008, 12:24 AM
You seem to value ideology over rudimentary competence. I think most of the public disagrees with you and while Huck isn't the ideolog that you'd support, his liberal leanings is what the public is leaning towards at this point.

You seem to have trouble conflating your ideology with widespread public opinion. Libertarians are a dramatic minority in this country.

I don't believe that ideology and competence are completely separate categories. History is full of supremely competent tyrants with ideologies that were devastating to the people they governed.

And in the case of Palin, she has proven more to me in her few years on the state level than Obama has in his experience at the state or national level. Obama has the luxury of never having done or accomplished anything, and therefore having no record to attack. Add to that the fact I believe that he is also grotesquely wrong ideologically, and it's a perfect storm of incompetence.

jAZ
10-13-2008, 12:33 AM
I don't believe that ideology and competence are completely separate categories. History is full of supremely competent tyrants with ideologies that were devastating to the people they governed.

And in the case of Palin, she has proven more to me in her few years on the state level than Obama has in his experience at the state or national level. Obama has the luxury of never having done or accomplished anything, and therefore having no record to attack. Add to that the fact I believe that he is also grotesquely wrong ideologically, and it's a perfect storm of incompetence.
You seem to be conflating lack of proving competence with lack of competence. By your own words, Obama hasn't had the opportunity to demostrate his competence in a way you would be able to measure.

Palin has had that opportunity, by your words.

So to rewrite your analysis of Obama as an equation:

0 * (Obama's demonstrated competence) + -1 * (Obama's ideology) = (Incompetent)

Your problem is that 0 demonstration of competence <> 0 competence.

wazu
10-13-2008, 12:35 AM
You seem to be conflating lack of proving competence with lack of competence. By your own words, Obama hasn't had the opportunity to demostrate his competence in a way you would be able to measure.

Palin has had that opportunity, by your words.

So to rewrite your analysis of Obama as an equation:

0 * (Obama's demonstrated competence) + -1 * (Obama's ideology) = (Incompetent)

Your problem is that 0 demonstration of competence <> 0 competence.

I'll have to come back and re-read this post tomorrow to see if I have any response worth reading (at least from my own perspective). I'm too sleepy now. Goodnight.

SNR
10-13-2008, 12:42 AM
I'll have to come back and re-read this post tomorrow to see if I have any response worth reading (at least from my own perspective). I'm too sleepy now. Goodnight.Oh come on. You know you're thinking this:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png

Taco John
10-13-2008, 02:11 AM

Disagree. These sheep could have been corralled with Romney, especially in the middle of an economic fiasco. Lieberman would also have provided more juice than Palin, IMO. McCain may have energized a portion of the conservative base, but there are still quite a few out there who are puzzled as ever who would have shrugged at either Romney or Lieberman.

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Bumping this up as well to show Adam that UP was spot on. Probably should add borderline retarded as a descriptor to her.Hey, it's not my fault. I just thought she was an average pol people made jokes about because she was pretty, and I'm such a nice person that I don't like to mock the intelligence of others until I have a chance to evaluate it.

HOLY SHIT THAT WOMAN IS STUPID

Taco John
10-13-2008, 02:25 AM

Uh... Are you fucking high? Don't confuse what YOU like about Huckabee with what the general public likes about him. Huckabee's success in this past election had absolutely nothing to do with his liberal leanings. In fact, that's exactly why he WASN'T successful.

This is America. The public isn't purposefully leaning TOWARDS liberalism. They're leaning AGAINST Republican style liberalism. And for good reason: it's a hollow ideology that leads absolutely nowhere but disaster, and then mind warping lies that suck the brains and soul out of the entire movement as they try to spin why it isn't working.

Most Americans actually have a libertarian stripe that runs through them just for the fact that our culture celebrates it's values every fourth of July. You're right that people don't identify with the "Libertarian Party," but that's neither here nor there.

Ask a liberal if gay people should marry, and they'll give you a libertarian, not a liberal response. As a conservative if government should keep out of their lives, they will give you a libertarian, not a conservative response.

Libertarians aren't a dramatic minority in this country. They're born every day. People who know their ass from a hole in the ground is a dramatic minority in this country. And thus, Democrats and Republicans will continue to get elected despite the fact that people are voting against their best interests when they vote for either side.

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Most Americans actually have a libertarian stripe that runs through them just for the fact that our culture celebrates it's values every fourth of July.The Federalists would make you shit a gat damn brick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-13-2008, 07:26 AM
I want to fuck Sarah Palin. And since I am totally unable to divorce carnal desires from politics, I'm going to sacrifice any and all credibility that I had to defend this completely incompetent turd, because I'm thinking with my purple headed yogurt slinger.

patteeu
10-13-2008, 07:50 AM

This is a case of the pot calling the alabaster vase black.

irishjayhawk
10-13-2008, 09:09 AM
This is a case of the pot calling the alabaster vase black.

How so?

Ultra Peanut
10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
How so?You don't get it, maaaaaaan! Obama is a PHONY! Biden is a PHONY! They're going to DESTROY AMERICA and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!