PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain-Palin ticket hits Alaska iceberg

jAZ
08-29-2008, 09:49 AM
The McCain campaign must not be concerned about this story...

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/07/mccainpalin_ticket_hits_iceber.html

McCain-Palin ticket hits Alaska iceberg
Posted July 31, 2008 10:40 AM

by Frank James

Among the names mentioned as potential vice presidential picks for Sen. John McCain has been Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the telegenic 44-year old mother of five.

Paiin, who earned the nickname "Sarah Barracuda" for her intensity as a high-school basketball player, a sobriquet some political opponents have kept alive, won election in 2006 as a reformer and was quickly seen as a rising star in Republican political circles. There was even a "Draft Sarah Palin for Vice President" movement or, at the very least, a website.

Palin has some awesome popularity ratings with Alaskan voters, something above 80 percent.

But now Palin is also caught up in a probe of her official conduct that probably nixes whatever long-shot chance she had to be on the McCain ticket. After all, she's only been a governor for two years.

Questions have arisen over whether Palin used her office to try and fire her ex brother-in-law from a state trooper's position. Palin asserts the charge is untrue but the Alaska Senate this week approved the hiring of an independent investigator to look into the charges.

Palin can take comfort in not having been implicated in the federal corruption investigation that has led to the indictment and conviction of some Alaskan politicians, like Sen. Ted Stevens who was indicted earlier this week.

Indeed, Palin made her reputation in Alaska by combating ethically challenged colleagues which didn't make her popular with her colleagues but did lead to the resignation of an Alaskan attorney general whose conflict-of-interest problems she helped to spotlight.

But having an Alaskan on the ticket would likely bring constant attention to the state's corruption problems which, since the state is Republican run, don't help the GOP brand.

Palin has another problem. After Alaska's public-safety commissioner Walt Monegan was fired (Monegan has said he felt pressure to dropkick the trooper) Palin replaced him with the former police chief of the city of Kenai. But he quit after it became known that he received a reprimand after sexual harassment allegations were filed against him in his former post.

At the very least, that incident raises some questions about Palin as a chief executive and might take some of the thrill away for some women who might otherwise be excited about seeing her on the ticket.

Thus, a McCain-Palin ticket doesn't appear to be in the cards.

banyon
08-29-2008, 09:52 AM
small potatoes.

Not nearly as bad as the dirt on Carly Fiona or Kay Bailey Hutchison.

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Grasping at straws at this point, jAZ.

jAZ
small potatoes.

Not nearly as bad as the dirt on Carly Fiona or Kay Bailey Hutchison.

McCain seems to agree.

RINGLEADER
The McCain campaign must not be concerned about this story...

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2008/07/mccainpalin_ticket_hits_iceber.html

McCain-Palin ticket hits Alaska iceberg
Posted July 31, 2008 10:40 AM

by Frank James

Among the names mentioned as potential vice presidential picks for Sen. John McCain has been Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the telegenic 44-year old mother of five.

Paiin, who earned the nickname "Sarah Barracuda" for her intensity as a high-school basketball player, a sobriquet some political opponents have kept alive, won election in 2006 as a reformer and was quickly seen as a rising star in Republican political circles. There was even a "Draft Sarah Palin for Vice President" movement or, at the very least, a website.

Palin has some awesome popularity ratings with Alaskan voters, something above 80 percent.

But now Palin is also caught up in a probe of her official conduct that probably nixes whatever long-shot chance she had to be on the McCain ticket. After all, she's only been a governor for two years.

Questions have arisen over whether Palin used her office to try and fire her ex brother-in-law from a state trooper's position. Palin asserts the charge is untrue but the Alaska Senate this week approved the hiring of an independent investigator to look into the charges.

Palin can take comfort in not having been implicated in the federal corruption investigation that has led to the indictment and conviction of some Alaskan politicians, like Sen. Ted Stevens who was indicted earlier this week.

Indeed, Palin made her reputation in Alaska by combating ethically challenged colleagues which didn't make her popular with her colleagues but did lead to the resignation of an Alaskan attorney general whose conflict-of-interest problems she helped to spotlight.

But having an Alaskan on the ticket would likely bring constant attention to the state's corruption problems which, since the state is Republican run, don't help the GOP brand.

Palin has another problem. After Alaska's public-safety commissioner Walt Monegan was fired (Monegan has said he felt pressure to dropkick the trooper) Palin replaced him with the former police chief of the city of Kenai. But he quit after it became known that he received a reprimand after sexual harassment allegations were filed against him in his former post.

At the very least, that incident raises some questions about Palin as a chief executive and might take some of the thrill away for some women who might otherwise be excited about seeing her on the ticket.

Thus, a McCain-Palin ticket doesn't appear to be in the cards.

Eh. Who cares. This is a bad pick because it will seem risky to Americans and undercuts McCain's experience argument (which is his most powerful political weapon against Obama).

If I was the Obama campaign I wouldn't be concerned with the trivial points of local Alaska politics. I'd say the words "City Council" as much as possible -- after all she's had a few years of city council experience and two years of executive experience. People will hear "City Council" and translate it into "lightweight, not ready, inexperienced, dangerous" given McCain's age, etc.

On the surface it appears to be a bad move.

And my friend Joe Biden is going to tear her apart on foreign policy in the debates.

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Grasping at straws at this point, jAZ.That's a pretty accurate description for what McCain is doing, too.

jAZ
08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Grasping at straws at this point, jAZ.
What are you talking about? "at this point"? It's "the thing" on her "at this point".

Hardly grasping at straws. And hardly even really knowable by you or I in either direction.

I'm just putting it out there. You are writing it off as nothing.

Bootlegged
08-29-2008, 10:04 AM
ROFL

ClevelandBronco
08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
What are you talking about? "at this point"? It's "the thing" on her "at this point".

Hardly grasping at straws. And hardly even really knowable by you or I in either direction.

I've made no such determination that it's nothing. I just pointed out exactly what you reiterated: It's "hardly even really knowable by you or I in either direction" (sic: It should be "me" if you are going to use the unnecessary pronouns).

Dallas Chief
08-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Hence the whole "iceberg" thing, as in sunk. Your spinning it before the facts are even known. She's guilty already- even though it's "not really knowable" according to you. I thought this was the stuff that you hated that the right always pulls?:rolleyes:

jAZ
08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I've made no such determination that it's nothing. I just pointed out exactly what you reiterated: It's "hardly even really knowable by you or I in either direction" (sic: It should be "me" if you are going to use the unnecessary pronouns).
Then we agree... and clearly not "grasping at straws".

jAZ
08-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Hence the whole "iceberg" thing, as in sunk. Your spinning it before the facts are even known. She's guilty already- even though it's "not really knowable" according to you. I thought this was the stuff that you hated that the right always pulls?:rolleyes:

You need to re-read the article I posted in the opening post. You are completely mis-interpreting everything about this thread.

Rausch
08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Then we agree... and clearly not "grasping at straws".

I'd bet it's true before i wouldn't.

And how about some yum-yums.

Good political pole: Do more white women want to bang Obama than white men want to pound Palin?

:hmmm:

http://livingalaska.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah_palin2.jpg

jAZ
08-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I'd bet it's true before i wouldn't.

And how about some yum-yums.

Good political pole: Do more white women want to bang Obama than white men want to pound Palin?

http://livingalaska.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah_palin2.jpg
Always bet on the sex drive of men.

Dallas Chief
08-29-2008, 10:35 AM
You need to re-read the article I posted in the opening post. You are completely mis-interpreting everything about this thread.

Check. Gotcha! I read part of the article as YOUR comments. Plus this thing is a month old- a lifetime in politics, as they say. When I'm off base or wrong, I am man enough to admit it. :thumb:

But I still like the pick- even though the lack of experience thing does make me a little weary. I wouldn't vote for her as President right now, but I may be OK with her as VP.

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Big-time Clinton backer Debbie Wasserman Schultz is brutalizing Palin right now. The response to this idiotic selection is so easy it writes itself.

But hey, firing someone who refused to fire the person you wanted fired is totally ethical.

jAZ
08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Check. Gotcha! I read part of the article as YOUR comments. Plus this thing is a month old- a lifetime in politics, as they say. When I'm off base or wrong, I am man enough to admit it. :thumb:

But I still like the pick- even though the lack of experience thing does make me a little weary. I wouldn't vote for her as President right now, but I may be OK with her as VP.

If you've been able to follow my comments on this, I don't claim it's a bad pick. This is the biggie issue that's lurking that I was aware of.

I've said before that on the surface, I think it seems like a good fit ala Joe Biden for Obama.

jAZ
08-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Big-time Clinton backer Debbie Wasserman Schultz is brutalizing Palin right now. The response to this idiotic selection is so easy it writes itself.

But hey, firing someone who refused to fire the person you wanted fired is totally ethical.

"This is collasally bad judgement on the part of John McCain".

Dallas Chief
08-29-2008, 10:42 AM
"This is collasally bad judgement on the part of John McCain".

I think it is to be expected. I don't expect any high level Democrat to get on the air and say "WOW! Great Pick!"

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 10:44 AM
The only people who are concerned about whispers and rumors and unsubstantiated allegations.....without substantial and real evidence to corroborate them, are partisan hacks and ideological zealots--like jAZ.

It amazes me how partisans on both sides want to believe such allegations when they involve the "other" side, but ignore them when they involve "their" side.

It's not as if similar allegations and charges are not floating around out there about Obama. However, like these with Pahlin....at this point they are not substantiated or corroborated on a level, that they are a real liablilty. That may change; however, there is reason to give Pahlin (and Obama) the benefit of the doubt....until it does change.

Of course, that won't deter partisan critics like jAZ.

"TWO MORE WEEKS!!!" And maybe Rove will actually be indicted too..... ;)

LMAO

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2008, 10:48 AM
The only people who are concerned about whispers and rumors and unsubstantiated allegations.....without substantial and real evidence to corroborate them, are partisan hacks and ideological zealots--like jAZ.

It amazes me how partisans on both sides want to believe such allegations when they involve the "other" side, but ignore them when they involve "their" side.

It's not as if similar allegations and charges are not floating around out there about Obama. However, like these with Pahlin....at this point they are not substantiated or corroborated on a level, that they are a real liablilty. That may change; however, there is reason to give Pahlin (and Obama) the benefit of the doubt....until it does change.

Of course, that won't deter partisan critics like jAZ.

"TWO MORE WEEKS!!!" And maybe Rove will actually be indicted too..... ;)

LMAOMaybe you should learn to read before mocking others.

SHE IS CURRENTLY UNDER INVESTIGATION BY THE STATE OF ALASKA.

http://www.ktva.com/ci_9929780
http://www.adn.com/front/story/499248.html

Gov. Sarah Palin has placed one of her aides on paid leave until an investigator finishes looking into accusations her team broke ethics or personnel rules.

The investigation stems from Palin's July firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. Monegan later said he felt pressured by the governor's office to fire Palin's ex-brother-in-law, Mike Wooten, a trooper who had been locked in a child-custody battle with Palin's sister.

Palin last Wednesday revealed a phone call made by her boards and commissions director, Frank Bailey, to a trooper lieutenant.

In the call, Bailey lists various complaints about Wooten and says the governor and her husband couldn't understand why he still had a job. The governor admitted the call could be perceived as her office pressuring the Public Safety Department, but says that's not what actually happened.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Maybe you should learn to read before mocking others.

SHE IS CURRENTLY UNDER INVESTIGATION BY THE STATE OF ALASKA.

http://www.ktva.com/ci_9929780
http://www.adn.com/front/story/499248.html

Gov. Sarah Palin has placed one of her aides on paid leave until an investigator finishes looking into accusations her team broke ethics or personnel rules.

The investigation stems from Palin's July firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. Monegan later said he felt pressured by the governor's office to fire Palin's ex-brother-in-law, Mike Wooten, a trooper who had been locked in a child-custody battle with Palin's sister.

Palin last Wednesday revealed a phone call made by her boards and commissions director, Frank Bailey, to a trooper lieutenant.

In the call, Bailey lists various complaints about Wooten and says the governor and her husband couldn't understand why he still had a job. The governor admitted the call could be perceived as her office pressuring the Public Safety Department, but says that's not what actually happened.

You, like jAZ.....seem unable to distinguish allegations from facts.

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
When has Obama been investigated?

jAZ
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
I think it is to be expected. I don't expect any high level Democrat to get on the air and say "WOW! Great Pick!"
Absolutely.

Just pointing out how bighting the attacks can be on this one.

jAZ
08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
You are an idiot sometimes.

She admitted this happened.

That would seem to push it past the "whispers and rumors and unsubstantiated allegations.....without substantial and real evidence to corroborate them" threshold all by itself.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 11:43 AM
When has Obama been investigated?

I think investigative reporting and lingering questions and stories would qualify, and be at least as important as the allegations Palin faces.

Sadly, Obama will be having to answer lots of questions in the next nine weeks over his ties to Rezko, Ayers, and Wright. You and I know they have (thus far) proven bunk to be bunk; but a whole lot of Americans haven't been paying close attention.

And of course, you can be sure third parties on the Republican side wll be renewing those attacks and questions....oh, by the 5 pm news, or by sometime this weekend for sure.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
You are an idiot sometimes.

She admitted this happened.

That would seem to push it past the "whispers and rumors and unsubstantiated allegations.....without substantial and real evidence to corroborate them" threshold all by itself.

Where's the conviction? What law was broken? Has she been forced to resign?

Or, like Bill Clinton, have her supporters and citizens in Alaska....rolled their eyes, and said "big whoop?" What are her approval ratings?

If you are looking for an idiot, check the mirror. ;)

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I think investigative reporting and lingering questions and stories would qualify, and be at least as important as the allegations Palin faces.No. No, it would ****ing not.

A formal investigation is not the same as a bunch of people trying to start a smear campaign.

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Great pick. Barry Hussein may just eat the pavement. McCain just gave all the independent and Hillary voters clear cover to move over to the McCain ticket. She's a tough woman as well. Biden and his hairplugs will be in for a surprise if he tries to steamroll her in the debates. He's screwed, he pushes too hard and he gets backlash for beating up on a woman and if he goes soft she'll put a foot in his old ass and he'll probably get pissed off and say something flippant and dumb which has been Biden's trademark for 20 plus years.

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
McCain just gave all the independent and Hillary voters clear cover to move over to the McCain ticket.Yes. Independents love young-earth creationists who oppose abortion rights and gay rights and love tax cuts for the wealthy. That's a winning idea.

jAZ
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Where's the conviction? What law was broken? Has she been forced to resign?

Or, like Bill Clinton, have her supporters and citizens in Alaska....rolled their eyes, and said "big whoop?" What are her approval ratings?

If you are looking for an idiot, check the mirror. ;)

Wow... jumping from "whisper" to "conviction" in one post.

I guess that's as close as you ever get to admitting you are wrong.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
No. No, it would ****ing not.

A formal investigation is not the same as a bunch of people trying to start a smear campaign.

Government investigations are often initiated by disgruntled employees and sour grapes.

Investigative reporting has a place; Watergate, Chappaquiddick , and Lewinsky were all....initially viewed as smear campaigns too by those who were "targeted."

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes. Independents love young-earth creationists who oppose abortion rights and gay rights and love tax cuts for the wealthy. That's a winning idea.

There are all kinds of indpendents. Further, many Hillary voters may just stay home which is a win for McCain as well. Face it Peanut, your guy may just lose if this Gov. of Alaska comes across well. 60 plus days to go and it's gonna be interesting.

PS - Good luck tying McCain to Bush. McCain and Bush don't even like each other.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Wow... jumping from "whisper" to "conviction" in one post.

I guess that's as close as you ever get to admitting you are wrong.

Boy, you can really be an ass sometimes.

Your jump from allegations/investigations to proof of corruption/unethical actions ..... is at least as big of a leap in logic. Give me a fuggin' break.

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Her lips suuuure are purrty.

jAZ
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Boy, you can really be an ass sometimes.

Your jump from allegations/investigations to proof of corruption/unethical actions ..... is at least as big of a leap in logic. Give me a fuggin' break.
What are you talking about.

I posted the story because it's out there and she admitted to it. You called her admission a whisper and when I called you on your crap you changed "whisper" to "not convicted".

Game. Over.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:30 PM
What are you talking about.

I posted the story because it's out there and she admitted to it. You called her admission a whisper and when I called you on your crap you changed "whisper" to "not convicted".

Game. Over.

An admission of a phone call is scandal? Corruption? Unethical behavior?

What's the impropriety which she is "tainted" by?

The people who know her best, her constituents in Alaska.....don't think it's a big deal. At all, it would seem to me....given her extraordinary approval ratings.

You are right; game over.

Then your post of this thread is, obviously, silly....isn't it? :rolleyes:

jAZ
08-29-2008, 12:37 PM
An admission of a phone call is scandal? Corruption? Unethical behavior?

What's the impropriety which she is "tainted" by?

The people who know her best, her constituents in Alaska.....don't think it's a big deal. At all, it would seem to me....given her extraordinary approval ratings.

You are right; game over.

Then your post of this thread is, obviously, silly....isn't it? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it is a big deal. I'm saying you are an idiot for calling it a "whisper" when its an admitted fact that's just recently begun to be investgiated.

It has the potential (in the worst case for her) to be explosive. She could be much ado about nothing.

Assuming McCain's vetters aren't stupid, I assume they think they can get past it whatever it is.

But the one thing it's not is what you tried to describe it as... it's well beyond a "whisper".

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm not saying it is a big deal. I'm saying you are an idiot for calling it a "whisper" when its an admitted fact that's just recently begun to be investgiated.

It has the potential (in the worst case for her) to be explosive. She could be much ado about nothing.

Assuming McCain's vetters aren't stupid, I assume they think they can get past it whatever it is.

But the one thing it's not is what you tried to describe it as... it's well beyond a "whisper".

By posting it as a thread with the omninous description "Alaska iceberg"....you tried to make it a big deal.

So now, you are a liar on top of it. Pathetic.

You tried to make it a big deal, and now you're backing down because you've been exposed.

Your back-pedal needs a lot of work, bucko.

"If we get desparate at DB and don't find someon on waivers, maybe we'll call you about the practice squad in a couple of days. Work on that back-pedal though. It's ugly right now."

Heh. :p

BigChiefFan
08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Kotter-the fair and balanced guy.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Kotter-the fair and balanced guy.

I guess you haven't read my posts in the Convention thread, if you are gonna accuse me of not being fair....

(I'm assuming you are being sarcastic/a smartass)

BigChiefFan
08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I guess you haven't read my posts in the Convention thread, if you are gonna accuse me of not being fair....

(I'm assuming you are being sarcastic/a smartass)I'm just throwing it out there-interpret it how you like. Looks like I might have hit a nerve, though.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm just throwing it out there-interpret it how you like. Looks like I might have hit a nerve, though.

It's not a nerve so much as:

"WTF are you blabbering about?" :spock: