PDA

View Full Version : Elections Alaska Gov. Palin to be Named as McCain Running Mate

Pages : [1] 2 3

Donger
08-29-2008, 08:52 AM
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08/29/mccain-to-name-running-mate-on-friday/

DAYTON, Ohio — A senior campaign official in the John McCain campaign confirmed to FOX News on Friday that the presumptive Republican presidential nominee will name Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Palin emerged earlier in the day as the hot name in the VP sweepstakes after reports circulated that two short-listers — Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty — were out of the running.

Adding fuel to the Palin candidacy was a report that a charter aircraft from Anchorage owned by a McCain supporter had arrived at a small airport outside Dayton, Ohio, where McCain has scheduled a noon ET rally to announce his choice.

FOX News reports the jet flew to Flagstaff, Ariz., on Thursday before heading for and landing in Middletown, Ohio. The airport manager

McCain campaign staff prepping the Dayton event told FOX News that all indications are that Palin would be the VP choice.

Palin is considered a rising star in the Republican Party. She is the state’s first female governor, the mother of five — and at 44 is its youngest chief executive.

Former Homeland Security chief Tom Ridge also remained in play for the No. 2 spot. His aides would not say where he was Friday morning.

Former eBay chief executive Meg Whitman’s name also was being talked about as speculation reached a peak hours before McCain’s scheduled appearance in Dayton. McCain in the past has heaped praise on Whitman for her guidance of eBay to become an Internet giant, and her selection could answer the Obama campaign’s criticism of McCain’s economic expertise.

FOX News confirmed Thursday that McCain had made his selection and would appear with his pick at the Dayton rally.

Sources told FOX News that Romney is not McCain’s choice, even though the former Massachusetts governor is scheduled to appear at the Dayton rally.

And Pawlenty told a Minneapolis radio station that he was not going to be in Dayton for the McCain announcement.

“I’m going to be at the [Minnesota] state fair,” Pawlenty said on WCCO.

“I will not be in Dayton, Ohio, so I think that’s a fair assumption,” the Minnesota governor said when asked if this was an indication that he would not be McCain’s running mate.

“It was an honor to be considered,” he added.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, who like Romney was a rival to McCain in the primaries, sent an e-mail to supporters on Thursday evening saying he would not be at the rally. Sources later told FOX News that Huckabee was not in the running.

Born in Idaho, Palin moved to Alaska with her parents, to Charles and Sally Heath, when she was 3 months old.

She grew up in Wasilla, just outside of Anchorage, and played on the Wasilla state championship girls’ basketball team. She was crowned Miss Wasilla in 1984 and was a runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant.

Palin studied journalism and political science at the University of Idaho and graduated in 1987. She eloped with her high school boyfriend, Todd Palin, in 1988 to save money on an expensive wedding. She helped out in her husband’s family commercial fishing business and appeared occasionally as a television sportscaster.

Palin won a seat on the Wasilla City Council in 1992 as a new face and a new voice, and by opposing tax increases. Four years later she was elected mayor at 32 by knocking off a three-term incumbent. At the end of her second term, party leaders encouraged her to enter the 2002 race for the Republican nomination for lieutenant governor. Against veteran legislators with far more experience, Palin finished second by fewer than 2,000 votes, making a name for herself in statewide politics. She was elected Alaska’s youngest and first woman governor in 2006.

Sarah and Todd Palin have five children: boys Track, 19, and Trig, 4 months, and daughters Bristol, 17, Willow, 13, and Piper, 7. Track Palin joined the Army last September and will deploy to Iraq on Sept. 11. Palin gave birth to Trig, who has Down syndrome, in April and returned to work three days later.

If McCain picks Palin or another woman, she will be the second vice presidential candidate from a major political party. The first was New York Rep. Geraldine Ferrarro, who was Walter Mondale’s Democratic running mate in 1984.

Taco John
08-29-2008, 08:53 AM
We know. This pick is already being mocked in other threads. Why start a third one?

Donger
08-29-2008, 08:54 AM
We know. This pick is already being mocked in other threads. Why start a third one?

It's apparently official.

Gonzo
08-29-2008, 08:55 AM
It's over

beer bacon
08-29-2008, 08:56 AM
So it turns out experiences doesn't really matter all that much to McCain.

Woodrow Call
08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Reach

tiptap
08-29-2008, 08:59 AM
I didn't realize her Down's Syndrome Child is 4 mo. old. Is that right. It can't be good to go on the rigors of a Presidential Campaign with such a small child. It doesn't settle quite rightly.

Bootlegged
08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_uExTzMIDd1Y/R2O5nKq9_tI/AAAAAAAAATE/At2bb_K_3ao/s400/Sarah-Palin-Vogue.jpg

Donger
08-29-2008, 09:01 AM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_uExTzMIDd1Y/R2O5nKq9_tI/AAAAAAAAATE/At2bb_K_3ao/s400/Sarah-Palin-Vogue.jpg

Is that her?

ROFL

Chief Henry
08-29-2008, 09:08 AM
I'd hit that :)

Fish
08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
http://politicalkudzu.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/sarah-palin-1.jpg

Sarah Barracuda.... hawt...

Ultra Peanut
08-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Hahahaha holy shit:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12969.html

In an interview just a month ago, she dissed the job, saying it didn’t seem “productive.”

In fact, she said she doesn’t know what the vice president does.

Larry Kudlow of CNBC’s “Kudlow & Co.” asked her about the possibility of becoming McCain ticket mate.
Palin replied: “[A]s for that V.P. talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the V.P. does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that V.P .slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”

RINGLEADER
08-29-2008, 09:22 AM
This is a terrible pick politically.

McCain's best argument was that Obama wasn't ready. He wasn't going to win in a "turn out the base" election so he had to make Obama unsafe for independents. He just undercut that line of attack. He can no longer use it.

Pitt Gorilla
08-29-2008, 09:27 AM

McCain's best argument was that Obama wasn't ready. He wasn't going to win in a "turn out the base" election so he had to make Obama unsafe for independents. He just undercut that line of attack. He can no longer use it.I don't know. I've heard a lot of people who might normally hate this pick justify it as a "needed move" of some sort. They don't like it, but they will warm to it and accept it.

jAZ
08-29-2008, 09:34 AM

McCain's best argument was that Obama wasn't ready. He wasn't going to win in a "turn out the base" election so he had to make Obama unsafe for independents. He just undercut that line of attack. He can no longer use it.
It's good on some levels, but it undercuts the experience argument.

But this is key.

"Experience" was a deciding issue for only a portion of the voters that message was targeted at. That portion is rational (like you) and will reconsider the experience issue now, IMO.

But it doesn't take the issue off the table, because that word "experience" was cover for many of the voters that the GOP is targeting with it. Those other voters are effectively using any rationalization put forward ("celebrity" "elite" "inexperience" or any number of other messages) as an excuse to vote their "id" (racism, xenophobia). They don't need rationality to justify their vote, they just need any old excuse.

StcChief
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
works for me and probably really frosts sHillary.

Alphaman
08-29-2008, 09:45 AM

But this is key.

"Experience" was a deciding issue for only a portion of the voters that message was targeted at. That portion is rational (like you) and will reconsider the experience issue now, IMO.

But it doesn't take the issue off the table, because that word "experience" was cover for many of the voters that the GOP is targeting with it. Those other voters are effectively using any rationalization put forward ("celebrity" "elite" "inexperience" or any number of other messages) as an excuse to vote their "id" (racism, xenophobia). They don't need rationality to justify their vote, they just need any old excuse.

the "experience" argument will be very interesting indeed. Obama's camp can't really attack Palin on experience and McCain really can't continue to attack Obama on experience. The reality is that there is a higher than normal probability that Palin could be sworn in as President (if McCain were to win) within the next 4 years because of McCain's age and the stress of the job. He can't attack Obama on experience.

The selection of Palin is also an interesting counter to Biden. Biden can't go into a debate with her with guns blazing, smacking her around. He'll look like a bully and an abusive male.

Bootlegged
08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Is that her?

ROFL

Yes - Vogue sent her back to 1988..

Donger
08-29-2008, 09:49 AM
He'll look like a bully and an abusive male.

Yep. At the very least, McCain certainly has added an interesting dynamic to the election.

Donger
08-29-2008, 09:52 AM
What's her husband like?

Goapics1
08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
What's her husband like?

What do you mean?

Donger
08-29-2008, 09:55 AM
What do you mean?

What does he do for a living? Background/history?

Bootlegged
08-29-2008, 09:56 AM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_alh8JTwprEw/Rs0LozUOkSI/AAAAAAAAAvE/txwCtT3rngo/s400/PalinKuwait.jpg

Donger
08-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Her husband, Todd, is an Eskimo?

Bootlegged
08-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Her husband, Todd, is an Eskimo?

He's a snowmobile champion as well.

nychief
08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
terrible pick.

eazyb81
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Damn, Palin is hot as hell. She has that naughty teacher vibe going perfectly.

Yum...

eazyb81
08-29-2008, 10:07 AM
http://livingalaska.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah_palin2.jpg

Drool.....maybe McCain is just attempting to win votes by flashing her around over the next few months.....it will probably work with me.

nychief
08-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Oh she is qualified. She was a mayor of a town of 5500 people for 10 years.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM
works for me and probably really frosts sHillary.

That would be bad news for you guys. I think Obama's going to make sure Hillary stays out front for her supporters now. :)

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 10:23 AM

I'm telling you, and the rest of us Obama folks....that argument could back-fire.

Americans vote for President, not Vice-President; if the experience argument is trotted-out.....then Obama comes up on the short end of that.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm telling you, and Obama folks....that argument could back-fire.

Americans vote for President, not Vice-President; if the experience argument is trotted-out.....then Obama comes up on the short end of that.

Judging by the reaction I just got from my father's girlfriend after just hearing the news, I don't think so. McCain squandered his real only talking point today, in exchange for a hail mary attempt at Hillary's voters. This was desperate.

I don't know why he went Palin over Hutchison. I guess because Palin's hawt, right?

Ari Chi3fs
08-29-2008, 10:31 AM
McCain likes hot women... his wife and his VP. I wonder if a 3sum is in McCains future.

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm telling you, and the rest of us Obama folks....that argument could back-fire.

I actually think you have a good point here.

However, you must look at the Hillary supporters. Most are relatively savvy in politics. I think they'd see through it. And they're the target audience.

RINGLEADER
08-29-2008, 10:54 AM

But this is key.

All good points but I would say that if McCain subtly shifts from "experience" to "judgment" he can carry the same mantle. It's tricky, but could happen. I will say that's the first speech I've heard her give and I thought she had a very good presence. But one misstep and "inexperience" will rear its ugly head.

On further reflection it should be noted that I can't see Obama running many ads questioning the McCain-Palin ticket's lack of foreign experience and previous attempts to frame the issue of experience in the veep (see Bush-Quayle in 1988) didn't work out so well for the opposition.

RINGLEADER
08-29-2008, 10:57 AM

She is a governor, but as I predicted earlier this morning you'll hear a lot about city councils and mayors. Obama's team is already falling into a bit of a trap in that regard as the current McCain oppo storyline is hitting back. But I think she needs to clear the same bar Obama tried to clear last night and I'm sure she will (it's not like she's going to read a speech off a tele-prompter next week that calls into question whether she's up to the job).

BucEyedPea
08-29-2008, 10:59 AM

You got it!

I'm a woman and I still won't vote for Mac because of this.

irishjayhawk
Palin is more qualified than Obama himself.

Everybody repeat with me:

Obama has never run a business!!

He hasnít run a city!!

He has never run a state!!

(He did run a board alongside of Ayers though back in Chicago ó I guess that counts for some executive experience).

How many times did your avatar change during the election?

RINGLEADER
I actually think you have a good point here.

However, you must look at the Hillary supporters. Most are relatively savvy in politics. I think they'd see through it. And they're the target audience.

I think if she was selected to appeal to Hillary supporters it's beyond a stupid decision. But I really liked her speech. Unfortunately, more people will hear the Obama spin than the Palin speech. Over time it will change I suppose.

Alphaman
08-29-2008, 11:01 AM
All good points but I would say that if McCain subtly shifts from "experience" to "judgment" he can carry the same mantle. It's tricky, but could happen. I will say that's the first speech I've heard her give and I thought she had a very good presence. But one misstep and "inexperience" will rear its ugly head.

On further reflection it should be noted that I can't see Obama running many ads questioning the McCain-Palin ticket's lack of foreign experience and previous attempts to frame the issue of experience in the veep (see Bush-Quayle in 1988) didn't work out so well for the opposition.

I watched her speech to see what her role in the campaign will be. She didn't say anything about Obama, so it appears her role will be to go after women. She specifically mentioned Ferraro, Clinton and the 18M dents in the glass ceiling.

If the Democrats do go after her they will have to send Clinton and other strong female leaders to do it.

She didn't really say anything of substance in her speech. It will be interesting to watch to say the least.

RINGLEADER
08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
One other thing: If McCain loses and Palin doesn't morph into Dan Quayle she's now a front-runner for the top of the GOP ticket in 2012.

Basileus777
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
McCain chose Tina Fey as his running mate?

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Judging by the reaction I just got from my father's girlfriend after just hearing the news, I don't think so. McCain squandered his real only talking point today, in exchange for a hail mary attempt at Hillary's voters. This was desperate.

I don't know why he went Palin over Hutchison. I guess because Palin's hawt, right?

Well if your dad's girlfriend qualifies as a focus group for the entire country you may be right. But, you're not. Besides you live in the peoples Republic of Connecticut which only means your state is slightly to the right of Vermont. Heh.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Well if your dad's girlfriend qualifies as a focus group for the entire country you may be right. But, you're not. Besides you live in the peoples Republic of Connecticut which only means your state is slightly to the right of Vermont. Heh.

My dad's girlfriend is from Missouri. She's a dyed-in-the-wool Conservative.

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2008, 11:23 AM

I doubt your veracity and your logic.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM

She's still one person.

We'll see what the polling says over the next couple of weeks.

I think your analysis is off-the-mark on this.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
I doubt your veracity and your logic.

I speak the truth, my friend.

I don't know what logic you're referring to. The experience argument? Well, why would you criticize Obama for not having enough experience, but be fine with Palin being a heartbeat away from the Presidency?

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
She's still one person.

We'll see what the polling says over the next couple of weeks.

I think your analysis is off-the-mark on this.

I think the intellectually honest ones who were already not keen on McCain will be turned off.

Jilly
08-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I can't understand how women would be that happy about this, in general. I love the fact that this is a groundbreaking political race and that no matter who wins there will be something different in the White House come January....But, as a woman, I can't help feel a little uncomfortable. It just seems like she's a "token"...and that doesn't sit right with me. Guess I just need to see who she is first.

oldandslow
08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
I can't understand how women would be that happy about this, in general. I love the fact that this is a groundbreaking political race and that no matter who wins there will be something different in the White House come January....But, as a woman, I can't help feel a little uncomfortable. It just seems like she's a "token"...and that doesn't sit right with me. Guess I just need to see who she is first.

Bingo....

People know when they are being pandered too.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Bingo....

People know when they are being pandered too.

Like it or not, right or wrong....that's how a whole lot of Republican, and some Independent folks feel about Obama being the nominee of the Democratic party. FTR, I don't agree.

They see Obama as nothing more, in the end, than a token nomination.

eazyb81
08-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Can we all just stop the bickering and agree that she's one hell of a MILF? It's going to be awesome to stare at those full lips for the next few months.

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I speak the truth, my friend.

I don't know what logic you're referring to. The experience argument? Well, why would you criticize Obama for not having enough experience, but be fine with Palin being a heartbeat away from the Presidency?

Your logic is you are using one woman, aka data point ,to bolster your premise. Not logical.

Sarah Palin = babies, guns and Jesus. This is going to be good.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Can we all just stop the bickering and agree that she's one hell of a MILF? It's going to be awesome to stare at those full lips for the next few months.

You should start a poll.... :hmmm:

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM

She is not a token. If she handles herself well, win or lose, Palin will be now be on the national stage and at 44 years of age could be a powerhouse in politics for the next 20 years. McCain has given her a golden opportunity not unlike what Bill did for Hillary. She is only a token if she can't handle the big time. Why don't you take some time and find out before you rush to judgement.

oldandslow
08-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Like it or not, right or wrong....that's how a whole lot of Republican, and some Independent folks feel about Obama being the nominee of the Democratic party. FTR, I don't agree.

They see Obama as nothing more, in the end, than a token nomination.

However, Obama WAS voted in by a majority of dems...

Answer me this...If Sara Palin was a man would she have been picked?

Never in a million years.

This is, by definition, simple pandering.

It won't work.

oldandslow
08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
She is not a token. If she handles herself well, win or lose, Palin will be now be on the national stage and at 44 years of age could be a powerhouse in politics for the next 20 years. McCain has given her a golden opportunity not unlike what Bill did for Hillary. She is only a token if she can't handle the big time. Why don't you take some time and find out before you rush to judgement.

So if Palin were a man, McCain would have chosen her?

Not a token, indeed.:rolleyes:

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Palin was clearly picked because she's a chick. That's not saying she couldn't get elected on her merits or that she's some empty suit, it's just saying that's the reason why McCain picked her. And it is. There's zero reason to even fight that.

chagrin
08-29-2008, 12:19 PM

Gee TJ, why start a new thread saying the same shit every ****ing day

you are the most arrogant piece of shit on this board

chagrin
08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Having said that, McCain just mailed it in...too bad

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Whatcha been up to, chagrin?

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
However, Obama WAS voted in by a majority of dems...

Answer me this...If Sara Palin was a man would she have been picked?

Never in a million years.

This is, by definition, simple pandering.

It won't work.

If Obama were a white man, would he have ever been picked? :shrug:

A lot of folks have their doubts; even I'm not so sure, given the politically-correct climate of our day....given the lack of experienc and thin resume' as some view it.

Obama, right or wrong, is considered pandering by many Americans--on the right, and even among many moderates.

I'm not saying it's so; I'm just acknowledging the perception exists.

ChiefaRoo
08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Palin was clearly picked because she's a chick. That's not saying she couldn't get elected on her merits or that she's some empty suit, it's just saying that's the reason why McCain picked her. And it is. There's zero reason to even fight that.

That's what I am saying. If she is an empty suit like Dan Quayle then we will know McCain picked her only because she's female. If she shows that she has real substance and drive then we will also see he picked her because she is female but because she will be bringing a new dimension to the debate and will help to energize the future of the Republican party which has needed a shot of new blood for sometime. This woman is a rock ribbed Conservative as well.

oldandslow
08-29-2008, 12:35 PM
If Obama were a white man, would he have ever been picked? :shrug:

A lot of folks have their doubts; even I'm not so sure, given the politically-correct climate of our day....given the lack of experienc and thin resume' as some view it.

Obama, right or wrong, is considered pandering by many Americans--on the right, and even among many moderates.

I'm not saying it's so; I'm just acknowledging the perception exists.

Obama was voted in by a majority of dems...

Palin was picked because of her sex.

Big difference.

eazyb81
08-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Big difference.

Again, would Obama have been voted in by the dems if he were a white man?

Sure, Palin's sex certainly played a role in her getting added on to McCain's ticket, but Obama's race also played a role in him getting tabbed by the dems since his resume pales in comparison to other potential dem nominees.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Again, would Obama have been voted in by the dems if he were a white man?

Impossible to tell. As much as his blackness helped him in certain areas, it hurt him a ton in other ones.

Obama ultimately won because he was against the Iraq war before it started. That judgment allowed for him to get past all these arguments about experience.

Direckshun
08-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I haven't read this thread, so I apologize for the repost.

But as far as I can see, this pick does no more than three things to help the McCain campaign, and even then they're weak sauce.

1. As people try to figure out WTF she is, she brings attention to the McCain campaign.

2. She is a woman, to try and suck in disenfranchised Hillary voters. (Forget the fact that Hillary voters are not going to flock to her.)

3. She is from Alaska, home of ANWR, supports drilling there, and will be a big help for McCain on the energy debate. (Forget the fact that McCain will have to flip-flop to agree with her.)

But other than those three, she is a weak public speaker, carries no commander-in-chief presense with her, has no record to speak of (and by that, I mean NO RECORD WHATSOEVER) on any global issue you can name, is from a state that will do McCain no electoral favors whatsoever, injects a federal investigation into McCain's campaign, brings zero immediate excitement to the party, lays a lamb out for slaughter when she meets Biden for the debate, and deflates McCain's single biggest argument for the Presidency: the need for experienced leaders in the White House.

Other than that... great pick...

Taco John
08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Gee TJ, why start a new thread saying the same shit every ****ing day

you are the most arrogant piece of shit on this board

ROFL

You need to up your meds.

Logical
08-29-2008, 01:06 PM

See but that is playing on the ground Obama wants to be on, he wants judgment to be a huge factor in the election.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Big difference.

So why was Hillary running?

Palin was picked to claim voters, just as Biden was.

Obama was picked by a majority of dems, problem is that those that did not pick Obama may be swinging to McCain because of Palin. Seems like the choice was a wise one.

Let's see what the swing of the polls tell us this weekend and next weekend.

Mr. Kotter
08-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Big difference.

Although I don't agree.....some say Obama was picked because of his race.

Not such a big difference afterall. :shrug:

DeezNutz
08-29-2008, 01:17 PM
http://bp0.blogger.com/_alh8JTwprEw/Rs0LozUOkSI/AAAAAAAAAvE/txwCtT3rngo/s400/PalinKuwait.jpg

http://livingalaska.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/sarah_palin2.jpg

Drool.....maybe McCain is just attempting to win votes by flashing her around over the next few months.....it will probably work with me.

Very, very easy on the eyes.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I think this pick reeks of desperation. I think they saw Obama electrify a stadium for of people (and Democrats across the nation) and the McCain felt like they needed to do something bold in response.

Vice Presidential nominees rarely influence people to vote for a candidate, but I feel that's a little different this year due to Obama's "inexperience" and John McCain's age.

McCain's 71 (soon to be 72) and spent five years as a POW. He's essentially an 80 year-old man. And not to be cruel, I think there's a 90% chance the man will not make it through a full term, if elected. So if I'm thinking of voting Republican, do I want this person (Palin) to be President of the United States?

This is an extremely risky pick for McCain. No doubt about it.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Although I don't agree.....some say Obama was picked because of his race.

Not such a big difference afterall. :shrug:

Some? What, 10 people out of a party of millions?

Come on, Dude. People that say shit like that are just plain ****ing dumb and don't even deserve to be addressed.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I think this pick reeks of desperation. I think they saw Obama electrify a stadium for of people (and Democrats across the nation) and the McCain felt like they needed to do something bold in response.

What did you expect from 70,000 finatical democrats? Did you expect them to boo?

If the speech was so hot, where are the bumps in the numbers?

As of this morning on CNN he was up 2%. Even Jimmy Carter did better than that!

Bill Parcells
08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
What did you expect from 70,000 finatical democrats? Did you expect them to boo?

Easy, you're going to make his head explode.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/images/smilies/new/blowup.gif

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Some? What, 10 people out of a party of millions?

Come on, Dude. People that say shit like that are just plain ****ing dumb and don't even deserve to be addressed.

Explain what Obama had that Hillary didn't.

The only thing he has on her is age.

There was no sound reason for him being selected other than the race issue.

Alan Keys was at least 10 times smarter than Obama but was rejected. He never had the gaffs that Obama has. Hillary didn't have the gaffs that Obama did.

You want to believe that he was picked for other reasons but at the end of the day all we have is an attempt to cater to the emotions of the people and not the good of the country.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Easy, you're going to make his head explode.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/images/smilies/new/blowup.gif

~~it Happens!

Donger
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM

Vice Presidential nominees rarely influence people to vote for a candidate, but I feel that's a little different this year due to Obama's "inexperience" and John McCain's age.

McCain's 71 (soon to be 72) and spent five years as a POW. He's essentially an 80 year-old man. And not to be cruel, I think there's a 90% chance the man will not make it through a full term, if elected. So if I'm thinking of voting Republican, do I want this person (Palin) to be President of the United States?

This is an extremely risky pick for McCain. No doubt about it.

Why would they be desperate? The polls show a virtual dead-heat.

Or, are you just hoping they are desperate?

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 01:24 PM

Obama opposed the Iraq War that she supported.

People were also tired of the Clinton-Bush chain.

Alan Keys was at least 10 times smarter than Obama but was rejected.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, holy shit

Mecca
You don't pick that running mate unless you are desperate.....it's pandering plain and simple, Joe Scarborough who is a Republican was ripping the hell out of this as a pandering move saying it's the worst kind of pandering...boy that's hard to grasp eh?

HolmeZz

Obama is up 8 in Gallup Tracking.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM

Did he really just say Alan Keyes is smart? Please tell me that's a joke...

StcChief
08-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Head exploding precisly... we tried the same thing to a Bot party in the bar's private room.

One came out and challenged us, rather humorous. I thought his head was gonna explode.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:27 PM

The Iraq war is of little consequence as he was not even in office when it started.

I seriously doubt that he would support any war that have an impact on the Middle East. I believe he is sympathetic to the area due to his upbringing.

Obviously you have never heard Alan Keyes speak.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Did he really just say Alan Keyes is smart? Please tell me that's a joke...

I said that Alan Keyes is 10 times smarter than Obama.

The only joke here is that you've probably never heard the man speak.

eazyb81
You don't pick that running mate unless you are desperate.....it's pandering plain and simple, Joe Scarborough who is a Republican was ripping the hell out of this as a pandering move saying it's the worst kind of pandering...boy that's hard to grasp eh?

Everyone on CNBC has been lauding the choice, and Larry Cudlow in particular said it was brilliant. So obviously some right-wingers are in favor of it.

Mecca
Alan Keyes is frankly a nutjob.....if you heard him speak for more than 5 minutes you'd realize that.

Nightfyre

And you have the audacity to claim anyone else is insane?

ROFL

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
The Iraq war is of little consequence as he was not even in office when it started.

The Iraq War is an incredibly important issue to many in this country, and his judgment in opposing the war has allowed him to get past these questions about experience.

I seriously doubt that he would support any war that have an impact on the Middle East.

He supported the strikes on Aghanistan, douchebag.

I don't know what growing up in Hawaii and Indonesia has to do with the Middle East.

I've heard Keyes speak plenty. That's how I know he's batshit insane.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
And you have the audacity to claim anyone else is insane?

ROFL

Never claimed that once in my life. You are confused.

Your bias may have impacted your abilty to understand, but that's a given knowing your political lean.

Donger
08-29-2008, 01:31 PM

I see. It must be hard to define what "pandering" means.

"She's female" That's pandering to the female vote?

"She's conservative." That's pandering to the right?

Making the ticket attractive to the most people is pandering?

Mecca
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
I have a really hard time taking anything this guy says seriously now, if you think Alan Keyes is intelligent and not crazy that is pretty telling about you.

Nightfyre
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Never claimed that once in my life. You are confused.

Your bias may have impacted your abilty to understand, but that's a given knowing your political lean.

Oh, let's see if Tom has figured it out yet. WHAT IS MY POLITICAL LEAN?

Mecca
08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Donger spoke to me should I be honored and play his game?

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Or, are you just hoping they are desperate?

If I need to explain this to you, then you haven't been paying any attention.

You LOVE this game, don't you?

Mecca
08-29-2008, 01:35 PM

I'd like the game more if it involved one of us hitting Donger in the face........with a shovel.

Programmer
The Iraq War is an incredibly important issue to many in this country, and his judgment in opposing the war has allowed him to get past these questions about experience.

That doesn't mean shit when you realilze that he was not a national political figure when he opposed the war. He didn't vote against the war when the President was given authority to go to Iraq.

He supported the strikes on Aghanistan.

I don't know what growing up in Hawaii and Indonesia has to do with the Middle East.

Again, he was not a national political figure. That means that he had as much say in the matter as all of the people in the country that didn't agree with the war at the time.

I've heard Keyes speak plenty. That's how I know he's batshit insane.

You've listened to Keyes speak as a democrat, he is a republican. I'm sure that if you listened to what he said and how it was said that he is intelligent. Very unlike Obama that can't have an intelligent discussion off the cuff. Without the teleprompter and ear wigs he's lost as hogans goat.

Donger

Well, the only thing that matters are votes. Based on the polls, the contest is very even.

So, why would they be desperate?

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh, let's see if Tom has figured it out yet. WHAT IS MY POLITICAL LEAN?

Drunk and up against a post, which is obviously smarter than you are.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 01:37 PM
That doesn't mean shit when you realilze that he was not a national political figure when he opposed the war. He didn't vote against the war when the President was given authority to go to Iraq.

Again, he was not a national political figure. That means that he had as much say in the matter as all of the people in the country that didn't agree with the war at the time.

You've listened to Keyes speak as a democrat, he is a republican. I'm sure that if you listened to what he said and how it was said that he is intelligent. Very unlike Obama that can't have an intelligent discussion off the cuff. Without the teleprompter and ear wigs he's lost as hogans goat.

You're digging a bigger hole.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:43 PM
You're digging a bigger hole.

Should I just say that Obama is dumb?

I saw Keys in a discussion live, not teleprompter and no notes.
He was clear, concise and didn't make gaffs like Obama has done from day one.

Taco John
08-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I have a really hard time taking anything this guy says seriously now, if you think Alan Keyes is intelligent and not crazy that is pretty telling about you.

Alan Keyes is a smart guy with a bad delivery. His delivery makes him hard to like.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Alan Keyes is insane.......if you try to tell pretty much anyone he's not they're gonna look at you funny there's a reason he can never win anything.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Alan Keyes is insane.......if you try to tell pretty much anyone he's not they're gonna look at you funny there's a reason he can never win anything.

Do you have a link that tells us that Keyes is insane? Otherwise it's just an opinion from the other side of the tracks.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Did I say that it electrified Democrats? I didn't say it electrified Republicans.

I've stated time and time again: Democrats will vote Democrat, Republicans will vote Republican. Period.

The Independents, such as myself, will decide this election.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Wow, you're really full of shit.

Do you HONESTLY believe that the entire Democratic constituency voted Obama as their candidate because he's half-black?

I sure as hell hope you don't have any children.

JFC.

Taco John

That's ok by me. I don't need my opinions validated by anybody.

I think Alan Keyes is a smart guy. That said, I think that anybody who tries to make the case that the guy never makes any gaffes is clueless. Gaffes are the entire reason the guy can't get elected. He's got a terrible delivery, and he phrases things in a way that raises people's hackles.

Mecca
Did I say that it electrified Democrats? I didn't say it electrified Republicans.

I've stated time and time again: Democrats will vote Democrat, Republicans will vote Republican. Period.

I think we should vote for Alan Keyes :)

J Diddy
08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I think we should vote for Alan Keyes :)

I'm writing in Hillary

Nightfyre
08-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Drunk and up against a post, which is obviously smarter than you are.

Drunk, nay. I drink once every couple months tops. As for the post being smarter than I, well... That is either a brilliant post or doesn't speak much to your intellect, because I've been running in circles around you for days.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud

You said it electrified a stadium for (full) of people (and democrats across the nation).

A stadium full of people - all democrat. The electricity is expected if you have a partisan audience, as well as all of the democrats across the nation that are despirate to have a democrat as president - regardless of his perceived abilities.

You mentioned that McCain was desperate, in what way? He was and is, until today's announcement, in a statistical dead heat with Obama. The post DNC surge was quelched by McCains pick and I believe that the polls will show, before the end of next week, that McCain is clearly in the lead.

He wasn't desperate, he was calculating the impact of the convention and stomped on the expected surge by making his announcement the day after the "electrifying" speech.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Drunk, nay. I drink once every couple months tops. As for the post being smarter than I, well... That is either a brilliant post or doesn't speak much to your intellect, because I've been running in circles around you for days.

You only wish that you were.

You are just like the rest of the dirty dozen, you should keep that smack with the other 11.

Nightfyre
08-29-2008, 01:59 PM
You only wish that you were.

You are just like the rest of the dirty dozen, you should keep that smack with the other 11.

The dirty dozen, you say? I was unaware I had comrades on an internet BB!

Mecca
08-29-2008, 01:59 PM

You should just have Jim Brown put on his crazy green hat and knock this guy around.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 02:01 PM

Are you really that dumb? (Rhetorical question there, I know you are.)

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud

You said it electrified a stadium for (full) of people (and democrats across the nation).

A stadium full of people - all democrat. The electricity is expected if you have a partisan audience, as well as all of the democrats across the nation that are despirate to have a democrat as president - regardless of his perceived abilities.

Duh. That's what I said. It does nothing for Republicans. It's about the Independents.

You mentioned that McCain was desperate, in what way? He was and is, until today's announcement, in a statistical dead heat with Obama. The post DNC surge was quelched by McCains pick and I believe that the polls will show, before the end of next week, that McCain is clearly in the lead.

He wasn't desperate, he was calculating the impact of the convention and stomped on the expected surge by making his announcement the day after the "electrifying" speech.

Do you really believe that nominating a woman who's only served for 18 months as governor of Alaska (of all states), who's only prior experience was that of mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people is ready to assume the responsibilities of Commander-In-Chief if McCain dies in office?

You can't see that this was clearly a reach, a risk that could have been a great gamble but is more likely, a great blunder?

It wouldn't have been a reach for him to choose Pawlinty or Rudy or Romney or a half a dozen other qualified candidates. Not at all.

This was clearly a desperation move and completely unexpected.

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Duh. That's what I said. It does nothing for Republicans. It's about the Independents.

Do you really believe that nominating a woman who's only served for 18 months as governor of Alaska (of all states), who's only prior experience was that of mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people is ready to assume the responsibilities of Commander-In-Chief if McCain dies in office?

You can't see that this was clearly a reach, a risk that could have been a great gamble but is more likely, a great blunder?

It wouldn't have been a reach for him to choose Pawlinty or Rudy or Romney or a half a dozen other qualified candidates. Not at all.

This was clearly a desperation move and completely unexpected.

I don't see how Barack Hussein is ready to be CiC now. At least she has had executive experience when it comes to the military.

What experience has Barack Hussein had that makes you think he is more qualified?

J Diddy
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Are you really that dumb? (Rhetorical question there, I know you are.)

nice witty comeback

i know you are what am I

n

J Diddy
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't see how Barack Hussein is ready to be CiC now. At least she has had executive experience when it comes to the military.

What experience has Barack Hussein had that makes you think he is more qualified?

another 4 years of Bush, yah!!!!

Taco John
08-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I think people are underestimating what Palin offers the McCain ticket. This move is going to test the mettle of the Barack Obama campaign. Palin is going to help the McCain ticket. She comes with weaknesses, there is no doubt. But she's made for television. We're going to see a LOT of Sarah Palin in the next two months. The Republicans are going to get her in front of a camera as much as possible.

Taco John
08-29-2008, 02:13 PM

What is the tangible difference between so-called "executive" experience and whatever experience Barack or even Hillary has?

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
What is the tangible difference between so-called "executive" experience and whatever experience Barack or even Hillary has?

She is Commander-in-Chief of the Alaska National Guard.

J Diddy
08-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I think people are underestimating what Palin offers the McCain ticket. This move is going to test the mettle of the Barack Obama campaign. Palin is going to help the McCain ticket. She comes with weaknesses, there is no doubt. But she's made for television. We're going to see a LOT of Sarah Palin in the next two months. The Republicans are going to get her in front of a camera as much as possible.

I can tell you right now that I'd rather look at her then McCain, Obama, or Biden. As for her talking that's another story

Mecca
08-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Is that more of that my friends hot mom appeal?

J Diddy
08-29-2008, 02:18 PM

first of all how does that even compare? It doesn't?

Your whole schtick is comparing apples to oranges when it suits you.

Taco John
08-29-2008, 02:19 PM

ROFL

Ok, now that the joke answer is out of the way... What's your real answer?

penguinz
She is Commander-in-Chief of the Alaska National Guard.So she has experience telling people to go help move a dead moose off the road or help dig a town out of a blizzard. How does that translate to running a nation?

Mecca
first of all how does that even compare? It doesn't?

Your whole schtick is comparing apples to oranges when it suits you.

It takes real serious skills to deploy people to get a moose out of the city.

Mecca
ROFL

It's Donger, that's probably his real answer.

J Diddy
08-29-2008, 02:21 PM
It takes real serious skills to deploy people to get a moose out of the city.

breaker, breaker

this here is the rubber ducky

We got a moose in the road.

Send in the guard.

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:21 PM
ROFL

That is my real answer. Dane seemed to be implying that Barack Hussein is more qualified than Palin to be CiC.

Based on what?

Has Barack Hussein ever been in command of any military force?

Mecca
08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
That is my real answer. Dane seemed to be implying that Barack Hussein is more qualified than Palin to be CiC.

Based on what?

And you probably wonder why people think of you like they do...

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:29 PM
And you probably wonder why people think of you like they do...

It's a pretty simple concept.

Palin has executive experience at the CiC level.

Barack Hussein does not.

Therefore, how can any reasonable person reach the conclusion that Barack Hussein is ready to be CiC and she is not? Not even taking into account that she isn't running for POTUS.

J Diddy
08-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Based on what?

I don't see how any of them are qualified to be CiC

yes McCain has military experience, but none at that high of level.

to quote someone from another thread it's like saying a manager of starbucks is qualified to run microsoft

Mecca
08-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't even try.....Donger will completely ignore that logic.

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 02:32 PM

Barack Hussein does not.

Therefore, how can any reasonable person reach the conclusion that Barack Hussein is ready to be CiC and she is not? Not even taking into account that she isn't running for POTUS.

Always over simplifying only to call someone else out on that tactic later.

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't see how any of them are qualified to be CiC

yes McCain has military experience, but none at that high of level.

to quote someone from another thread it's like saying a manager of starbucks is qualified to run microsoft

McCain is clearly the most qualified. He did command and retired a captain.

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Always over simplifying only to call someone else out on that tactic later.

Yes, logic is rather simple.

Bowser
08-29-2008, 02:36 PM

Barack Hussein does not.

LMAO

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes, logic is rather simple.

Yet, when I call out out on how you are over complicating simple logic, you try to deflect.

Direckshun
08-29-2008, 02:37 PM
When is Alaska "CiC level"?

Mecca
08-29-2008, 02:38 PM

You doubt the strength of the moose?

KC Dan
08-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Palin isn't running for POTUS so my question is quite easy (or it should be), can some of our resident Obama supports please detail me what executive experience Obama has and how it qualifies him as POTUS? I mean, the Obama lovers here are quick to discount Palin's experience so what is Obama's that has you all over him?

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Yet, when I call out out on how you are over complicating simple logic, you try to deflect.

Deflect? I'm not deflecting anything.

She is the CiC of the Alaska National Guard, yes?

So, that gives her CiC experience, yes?

If so, then she has CiC experience.

Therefore, I fail to see how she is less qualified than Barack Hussein to be CiC. Perhaps Dane wasn't suggesting that?

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Alaska's National Guard.

irishjayhawk
08-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Therefore, I fail to see how she is less qualified than Barack Hussein to be CiC. Perhaps Dane wasn't suggesting that?

Oh, you always forget past encounters. Okay.

You've already exposed what you are to even non-regulars here.

Direckshun
08-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Alaska's National Guard.

Wow.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Wow.

It's Donger, tell me you aren't surprised.

Bowser
08-29-2008, 02:43 PM

So she has signed off the orders to move the Guard into rural areas to dig the natives out of snow drifts? Oh, by all means, give her the nuclear suitcase!

You're a beauty, Donger, but even you can't stoop to patteeu levels to try and reach that far. LMAO

Mecca
08-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I stil think the only appeal to this ticket is Sarah Palin looks like a woman who if she was your friends mom in high school you'd be like......wow I'd like to sleep with your mom.

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Yes, I know that facts are difficult.

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:46 PM
So she has signed off the orders to move the Guard into rural areas to dig the natives out of snow drifts? Oh, by all means, give her the nuclear suitcase!

You're a beauty, Donger, but even you can't stoop to patteeu levels to try and reach that far. LMAO

Don't get me wrong. McCain is clearly more qualified.

Programmer
08-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Donger has 32,000+ posts here, you have less than 25% of what he has. Everyone here knows what Donger is about, and only after 8,000+ everyone here knows just exacty what you are.

So dude, what's your point?

You don't like Donger's stand on the politics of the day. Big surprise coming from an extreme left wing nut job.

patteeu
08-29-2008, 02:48 PM
I think this was an outstanding pick. It will be interesting to see how well she handles the VP debate. Other than that one night, I presume that the McCain/Palin campaign can manage to keep her in forums that are strengths of hers. I thought her speech this morning was very good and that talk like that will connect well with people who don't eat and drink politics and who aren't already committed leftists or diehard pro-choicers.

Not only is she an attractive woman, but she has a really attractive biography. And while her executive experience is limited, she's got more of it than Obama and Biden combined. I don't think Obama would have selected Biden if McCain had selected Palin first.

BucEyedPea
08-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Obama total years political experience =11.5 years
Palin = 16 years
1.2 years years as a governor

Not a major difference there.

Bowser
08-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Palin = 16 years

SHUT UP, YOU!! She's CiC of the Alaskan National Gurad, or does that not mean anything to you???

Donger
08-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Big surprise coming from an extreme left wing nut job.

I don't think that's accurate. In fact, he reminds me of myself a little, albeit a less conservative/more emotional version.

Alphaman
08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I think this was an outstanding pick. It will be interesting to see how well she handles the VP debate. Other than that one night, I presume that the McCain/Palin campaign can manage to keep her in forums that are strengths of hers. I thought her speech this morning was very good and that talk like that will connect well with people who don't eat and drink politics and who aren't already committed leftists or diehard pro-choicers.

Not only is she an attractive woman, but she has a really attractive biography. And while her executive experience is limited, she's got more of it than Obama and Biden combined. I don't think Obama would have selected Biden if McCain had selected Palin first.

I don't know patteeu. 3 things that will certainly be pointed out by the democrats:

1) Within the last month she praised Barack Obama for portions of his energy plan.

2) Within the past 6 months she raised the question of what does a VP really do?

3) She's under investigation in Alaska for abusing the power of her office.

I'm not sure those 3 immediate things make her an outstanding candidate. I agree the VP debate with Biden will be interesting. The Republicans have forced him to take a more softer approach in is style with him.

I thought her speech lacked substance. It was here is my family, I think John McCain is great and I'm honored to be selected. I do think she has an impressive record of ethics in Alaska, but as stated above that is already being called into question and now the investigation will be under the national spotlight.

Nightfyre
08-29-2008, 02:57 PM
BEP gimme the scoop on Palin.

KC Dan
08-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Palin = 16 years

There is some truth in your statement above but answer this: How many command decisions has Obama made in the State legislature other than to vote present or in the US Senate? At least as a 10yr Mayor and 2 yr Governor she has made command decisions no matter how small or insignificant to the entire nation. That is executive decision-making.

Chief Henry
08-29-2008, 03:01 PM
An attractive, conservative, hard working, mother of 5 kids, that is articulate and very knowledgable in the oil drilling bsn appears to be an OUTSTANDING pick for the VP.

Nice pick President McCain.

BucEyedPea
08-29-2008, 03:02 PM
BEP gimme the scoop on Palin.

Okay. 80% approval ratings on her in her state.

BucEyedPea
08-29-2008, 03:04 PM
There is some truth in your statement above but answer this: How many command decisions has Obama made in the State legislature other than to vote present or in the US Senate? At least as a 10yr Mayor and 2 yr Governor she has made command decisions no matter how small or insignificant to the entire nation. That is executive decision-making.
Well, that's true but it was mayor in place with a tiny population. What was it 5,000 something people? Only a slight improvement when you consider 1.5 years in Alaska which is mostly wilderness. Although, I did hear she rooted out Rep corruption by going up against the old boy network. Kudos to her. My kinda of gal pal.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 03:05 PM

Where did I state that Obama was ready to be CiC? Please find that quote and get back to me.

Twisting my words does nothing for your argument.

Donger
08-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Where did I state that Obama was ready to be CiC? Please find that quote and get back to me.

Twisting my words does nothing for your argument.

You didn't. I was asking you if you thought he was/is, relative to Palin.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 03:09 PM

Based on what?

Stating that Palin, after 18 months as governor of Alaska, is not qualified to be CiC in no way, shape or form implies that Obama is more qualified.

The discussion is about Palin, not Obama.

Logical
08-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Wow her speech was a joke, is that the best she was able to come up with?

Programmer
08-29-2008, 03:11 PM

That was my response

to obama's speech.

Donger
08-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Stating that Palin, after 18 months as governor of Alaska, is not qualified to be CiC in no way, shape or form implies that Obama is more qualified.

The discussion is about Palin, not Obama.

Fair enough. But, do you think that she is more qualified than Barack Hussein is?

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 03:12 PM

It's funny to see how the Right on this board reacted to it, right? They hammered Obama for their perception that he never said anything, and that was basically her whole speech. She didn't say much of anything relevant, just saying it was an honor to be picked. Then she made her plea for Hillary's supporters, ignoring the fact that they likely disagree with her on most issues.

The pick was complete pandering.

BigChiefFan
08-29-2008, 03:12 PM
McCain really blew it. Color me unimpressed with the selection.

DaneMcCloud
08-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Fair enough. But, do you think that she is more qualified than Barack Hussein is?

Are you asking me if I personally think he's more qualified than Palin to lead the military, or to be President of the United States?

Donger
08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Are you asking me if I personally think he's more qualified than Palin to lead the military, or to be President of the United States?

Yes, to be Commander in Chief of the US military.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 03:15 PM
It's funny to see how the Right on this board reacted to it, right? They hammered Obama for their perception that he never said anything, and that was basically her whole speech. She didn't say much of anything relevant, just saying it was an honor to be picked. Then she made her plea for Hillary's supporters, ignoring the fact that they likely disagree with her on most issues.

"Cmon Hillary supporters vote for me, even though we don't agree about anything I'm a woman too and that's enough right!"

Logical
08-29-2008, 03:16 PM
When asked why he picked Palin, McCain said:

"Well you know I was a POW for 5.5 years and for that entire time we did not see a woman. I saw Gov Palin and I immediately knew she was a woman. Then BAM it hit me, she would be my VP running mate."

Donger

There's that word again: pandering.

Why is selecting a woman pandering?

HolmeZz
Apparently McCain had only met her twice before today.

Duck Dog
08-29-2008, 03:25 PM

So it turns out experiences really does matter to Obama Hussain supporters.

***SPRAYER
08-29-2008, 03:37 PM
So it turns out experiences really does matter to Obama Hussain supporters.

Stop with the distractions.

ROFL

penguinz
08-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Just watched her acceptance speech. WTF is it with republicans saying 'nucular' instead of nuclear?

Jenson71
08-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Pandering is a good word, in my opinion.

We've just spent so much time hearing the Right (and others) talk about inexperience.

Then this...

It's pandering because it's going away from real issues and policy and his beliefs before on experience he wants in a VP.

Donger
08-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Just watched her acceptance speech. WTF is it with republicans saying 'nucular' instead of nuclear?

ROFL

I notice, too, and cringed.

KC Dan
08-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Pandering is a good word, in my opinion.

We've just spent so much time hearing the Right (and others) talk about inexperience.

Then this...
She's more experienced than Obama. Wait....Obama's a man...I get it...

Logical
08-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Just watched her acceptance speech. WTF is it with republicans saying 'nucular' instead of nuclear?OMG, I missed it.

Mecca

Atleast people voted for him....

Jenson71

Like hell she is.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 03:46 PM
ROFL

I notice, too, and cringed.

For McCain's sake, I hope they gave her some kind of foreign policy test.

HolmeZz
Like hell she is.

They're hilarious, aren't they? It's amazing.

KC Dan
Atleast people voted for him....
Check the record, she won two elections (voted by people) over two heavily favored democrats in her state. We didn't vote for Biden either so I guess that invalidates him as well.

oldandslow
08-29-2008, 03:47 PM

NO she isn't...

The councilwoman from Alaska is going to have very little impact on the election....

Bounce ---Obama up +8 according to gallup

Viewership - 38 million people watched the Obama's convention speech THE MOST EVER.

KC Dan
08-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Like hell she is.
Prove it kid! I await your proof.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 03:48 PM

I think it's more funny to see conservatives bitching that the board is liberal when all my memories of this forum were heavily conservative.

KC Dan
NO she isn't...

The councilwoman from Alaska is going to have very little impact on the election....

Bounce ---Obama up +8 according to gallup

Viewership - 38 million people watched the Obama's convention speech THE MOST EVER.
Prove it! I await your proof.

HolmeZz
Check the record, she won two elections (voted by people) over two heavily favored democrats in her state.

How is Palin experienced enough to be President(keep in mind you don't know at least 75% of her stances on things) and Obama is not?

***SPRAYER
Like hell she is.

Do you think it's harder to be elected a Governor or a Senator (especially when your competition is derailed by a sex scandal after your people demanded the divorce records)?

Woodrow Call
08-29-2008, 03:49 PM

There we go play the sexist card. You are as desperate as McCain.

Mecca
How is Palin experienced enough to be President(keep in mind you don't know at least 75% of her stances on things) and Obama is not?

Alaska is obviously a very influential state with many tough issues.....oh wait.

Alphaman

Because in her speech today she made a point to speak to the 18M who voted for Hillary. It seemed that her role on the ticket is to win over those women who supported Hillary. That would be pandering.

Calcountry
I don't know patteeu. 3 things that will certainly be pointed out by the democrats:

1) Within the last month she praised Barack Obama for portions of his energy plan.

2) Within the past 6 months she raised the question of what does a VP really do?

I'm not sure those 3 immediate things make her an outstanding candidate. I agree the VP debate with Biden will be interesting. The Republicans have forced him to take a more softer approach in is style with him.

I thought her speech lacked substance. It was here is my family, I think John McCain is great and I'm honored to be selected. I do think she has an impressive record of ethics in Alaska, but as stated above that is already being called into question and now the investigation will be under the national spotlight.This is condescending and sexist, to think, that a woman who is raising 5 children cannot handle the lapdog Biden is very demeaning.

KC Dan
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I think it's more funny to see conservatives bitching that the board is liberal when all my memories of this forum were heavily conservative.
I've voted democratic more than I ever have republican but because I have asked people to prove that Obama has more experience to be President, I'm a conservative and stupid. Just detail just how much more Obama's experience dwarfs Palin or McCain for me. Humor me with all of your brilliance.

HolmeZz
Do you think it's harder to be elected a Governor or a Senator (especially when your competition is derailed by a sex scandal after your people demanded the divorce records)?

What's more difficult, winning in Alaska as a Republican or coming from nowhere and toppling the Clinton machine to be the first minority to win a Presidential nomination?

penguinz
OMG, I missed it.It is when she mentions keeping 'nucular' weapons out of Iran's possession.

Calcountry
08-29-2008, 03:51 PM
After Bush, anybody is qualified, hey, just look at who the Democrats nominated to be PRESIDENT.

Jenson71

I'm shocked. I can't believe how much of the experience question we heard about for the past 18 months. And now this.

I was skeptical of Obama's experience. I argued it wasn't enough in a high office to justify the hype, UltraPeanut got pissed at me for saying this.

This is shocking politics.

Donger
Because in her speech today she made a point to speak to the 18M who voted for Hillary. It seemed that her role on the ticket is to win over those women who supported Hillary. That would be pandering.

One of her roles, sure. She can't help that she's female. If that's the criteria, is Barack Hussein pandering to blacks? Biden to liberal white guys?

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I've voted democratic more than I ever have republican but because I have asked people to prove that Obama has more experience to be President, I'm a conservative and stupid. Just detail just how much more Obama's experience dwarfs Palin or McCain for me. Humor me with all of your brilliance.

People supporting Obama weren't trumpeting his time in Washington as the reason why he should be President. His detractors actually used it against him. Then McCain panders and picks Palin and now the argument gets turned against them and they don't know how to handle it.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
One of her roles, sure. She can't help that she's female. If that's the criteria, is Barack Hussein pandering to blacks? Biden to liberal white guys?

It's the reason he picked her......he is pandering to Hillary supporters to vote for him and not Obama for no other reason than his VP is a woman. If you don't think that's pandering then nothing is.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
People supporting Obama weren't trumpeting his time in Washington as the reason why he should be President. His detractors actually used it against him. Then McCain panders and picks Palin and now the argument gets turned against them and they don't know how to handle it.

Thank you, now I don't have to type this up.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 03:54 PM

I don't think Barack will be saying "vote for me because I'm black, even if you disagree with pretty much all of my policies".

Replace black with female and that's exactly what Palin did today.

Jenson71
08-29-2008, 03:54 PM
If McCain wins this election, we are one slip on an icy sidewalk away from having the least experienced leader in the history of our nation as our President.

Mecca
08-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't think Barack will be saying "vote for me because I'm black, even if you disagree with pretty much all of my policies".

Replace black with female and that's exactly what Palin did today.

It's hard for them to fathom apparently...she literally stood there and said "I'm a woman just like Hillary if you supported her vote for this ticket because I'm a woman"

DaneMcCloud

Yes.

Education:

Palin: University of Idaho. Degree in Journalism

Obama: Occidental College, Columbia University, Harvard Law. Editor of the Harvard Law Review.

Professional life:

Palin: TV reporter. Commercial fisherman (with her husband). City Council. Mayor of a town of 7,000. 18 months as Governor of Alaska (with one scandal that's under investigation).

Obama: Taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago for 12 years. Member of a 12 attorney law firm. 8 years as an Illinois State Senator. 3-plus years as member of the U.S. Senate.

Obama's education, professional life and overall experience far outweighs Palin's, which leads me to believe he'd be a better CiC.

Alphaman
This is condescending and sexist, to think, that a woman who is raising 5 children cannot handle the lapdog Biden is very demeaning.

Boy did you miss that one. If Biden really unleashes on her in the debates he will be accused of being a bully and abusive. I didn't say anything about her not being able to handle herself.

patteeu
08-29-2008, 03:56 PM

I thought her speech lacked substance. It was here is my family, I think John McCain is great and I'm honored to be selected. I do think she has an impressive record of ethics in Alaska, but as stated above that is already being called into question and now the investigation will be under the national spotlight.

I'd have to know more for #1 to concern me at all, and even if she gave a full throated endorsement of Obama's energy plan, it would be hard for me to get too worried about it. McCain agrees with parts of Obama's plan at some level. Both agree (and so does Bush/Cheney) that alternative energy sources should be pursued in some manner.

#2 doesn't bother me.

#3 is a potential problem, but so far there's very little reason to believe she's done anything wrong and it's beyond unthinkable that McCain's campaign didn't check this stuff out so I'm not sweating it until I hear more.

Donger
08-29-2008, 03:56 PM
It's the reason he picked her......he is pandering to Hillary supporters to vote for him and not Obama for no other reason than his VP is a woman. If you don't think that's pandering then nothing is.

I think it's one of the reasons, sure. She's also undoubtedly more conservative than McCain, too. I suppose that's pandering to conservatives?

Jenson71
08-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Prove it kid! I await your proof.

Prove it? Goddamn, read a newspaper and the third paragraph of an article about either of them will give a brief bio.

Mecca
Boy did you miss that one. If Biden really unleashes on her in the debates he will be accused of being a bully and abusive. I didn't say anything about her not being able to handle herself.

And they'll try to play that up.....the same way Clinton tried to do that when Obama was debating her. 'Look at that mean old man attacking that poor lady"

Logical
Prove it! I await your proof.

<table style="width: 600px;" class="table-races" id="table-1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 160px;" bgcolor="#cccccc">Race</td><td style="width: 150px;" bgcolor="#cccccc">Poll</td><td style="width: 185px;" bgcolor="#cccccc">Results</td><td style="width: 115px;" bgcolor="#cccccc">Spread</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#e5e5e5">National (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html)</td><td bgcolor="#e5e5e5">Gallup Tracking (http://www.gallup.com/poll/109933/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Stretches-Lead-Points.aspx)</td><td bgcolor="#e5e5e5">Obama 49, McCain 41 (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html)</td><td bgcolor="#e5e5e5">Obama +8</td></tr></tbody></table>http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/latestpolls/index.html

Obama's speech seen by 38 million viewers

4 hours ago
NEW YORK (AP) ó Barack Obama's acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention was seen by more than 38 million people.
Nielsen Media Research said more people watched Obama speak than watched the Olympics opening ceremony in Beijing, the final "American Idol" or the Academy Awards this year. Obama talked before a live audience of 80,000 people in Denver.
His TV audience nearly doubled the amount of people who watched John Kerry accept the Democratic nomination to run against President Bush four years ago. Kerry's speech was seen by just over 20 million people.
Obama's audience might be higher, since Nielsen didn't have an estimate for how many people watched Obama on PBS or C-SPAN Thursday night.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2jxRdoi5AN3SjYwU0ErKRVWPKHwD92S3HOG1

KC Dan
Oh, I can handle it. I think that the McCain camp should go straight ahead and pound the experience issue. Palin has been an executive on numerous occasions (business, mayor & governor) and actually has a record of taxing oil industry in her state to raise revenues and pushed for/& instituted real ethics reform in her government. She single-handedly wiped out pork barrel projects for her state. If you remember, she was the one that turned down the "bridge to nowhere" project that Sen. Stevens pushed thru congress. I can handle it fine as she has experience that can be detailed, Obama does not.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 03:58 PM
#3 is a potential problem, but so far there's very little reason to believe she's done anything wrong and it's beyond unthinkable that McCain's campaign didn't check this stuff out so I'm not sweating it until I hear more.

I think you're probably giving his campaign a bit too much credit. I mean, he tabbed as his Vice President somebody he had met twice in his whole life. That is hard to friggin' fathom.

DaneMcCloud
I think it's one of the reasons, sure. She's also undoubtedly more conservative than McCain, too. I suppose that's pandering to conservatives?

Yes.

McCain's long been a moderate Republican. I've always admired McCain for his "renegade" and "maverick" attitude.

This choice clearly appeals to the far right members of the party, a place where he was short on support.

Donger
Yes.

Education:

Palin: University of Idaho. Degree in Journalism

Obama: Occidental College, Columbia University, Harvard Law. Editor of the Harvard Law Review.

Professional life:

Palin: TV reporter. Commercial fisherman (with her husband). City Council. Mayor of a town of 7,000. 18 months as Governor of Alaska (with one scandal that's under investigation).

Obama: Taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago for 12 years. Member of a 12 attorney law firm. 8 years as an Illinois State Senator. 3-plus years as member of the U.S. Senate.

Obama's education, professional life and overall experience far outweighs Palin's, which leads me to believe he'd be a better CiC.

Thank you.

HolmeZz

Outline her foreign policy stances for me.

Logical
08-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes, so what?

Alphaman

Sen Obama was not selected or appointed to be the nominee to win the black vote in the election so NO it is not a pandering selection. Biden was not selected to win the vote of liberal white guys so NO it is not pandering. Palin was selected to win the vote of women, specifically disgruntled democrat and independent women. She made a direct appeal to them in her speech today so YES it is pandering.

I completely understand that your bias in this election will not allow you to admit that, but judging by your posts concerning the election for the past few months, I firmly believe you are intelligent enough to know it.

Donger
Yes.

McCain's long been a moderate Republican. I've always admired McCain for his "renegade" and "maverick" attitude.

This choice clearly appeals to the far right members of the party, a place where he was short on support.

Where do you see the pandering on the Democrat's side?

Donger
08-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Sen Obama was not selected or appointed to be the nominee to win the black vote in the election so NO it is not a pandering selection. Biden was not selected to win the vote of liberal white guys so NO it is not pandering. Palin was selected to win the vote of women, specifically disgruntled democrat and independent women. She made a direct appeal to them in her speech today so YES it is pandering.

I completely understand that your bias in this election will not allow you to admit that, but judging by your posts concerning the election for the past few months, I firmly believe you are intelligent enough to know it.

Again, if the fact that she's female were the only reason, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

I think her appeal goes beyond being female.

patteeu

Yeah, if you were hoping to hear sweeping and grandiose promises of undefined change, you were bound to be disappointed. I thought her speech was fantastic with only a couple of rough spots. She did say "nu-Q-ler" instead of "nu-clee-er" once, which isn't important but does sound bad. It sounded like she almost caught herself though so I'm guessing she's consciously working on that.

Alphaman
And they'll try to play that up.....the same way Clinton tried to do that when Obama was debating her. 'Look at that mean old man attacking that poor lady"

Exactly. That's why he'll have to carry a soft stick into the debate. He'll have to pelt her with marshmellows and not rocks.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Outline her foreign policy stances for me, Donger.

ClevelandBronco
IMO, Sarah Palin wraps up Colorado for McCain.

DaneMcCloud

Joe Biden.

Again, I like Biden and thought his plan for Iraq was the best I'd heard. But he clearly is on the ticket to balance the cries of "lack of experience", his "blue collar" following and his expertise in foreign policy.

Donger
Outline her foreign policy stances for me.

I don't know them yet, so I can't. I'm sure we'll all learn more as time passes.

Mecca
Again, if the fact that she's female were the only reason, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Apparently you missed her standing up there basically begging women to vote her just because she's a woman.

KC Dan
08-29-2008, 04:03 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i2jxRdoi5AN3SjYwU0ErKRVWPKHwD92S3HOG1
Jim, how is this proof to my question?

HolmeZz
I don't know them yet, so I can't. I'm sure we'll all learn more as time passes.

And you're comfortable with her being a heartbeat away from the Presidency despite not knowing anything about her stances on an important topic?(or her stances on a lot of things)

***SPRAYER

I agree.

Looking at the total package, she helps McCain in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio.

patteeu
08-29-2008, 04:04 PM

What do you expect her to do in her first significant speech to a national audience? Of course she's going to give us her biography and introduce herself.

Let's look at the flip side. It's funny to see how Obama supporters are suddenly concerned about speeches that don't really say a lot.

HolmeZz

And I think Joe Biden handed South Dakota to Obama.

DaneMcCloud
I agree.

Looking at the total package, she helps McCain in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio.

I can see that she could possibly help in Michigan and Ohio but Pennsylvania may be a stretch.

Donger
08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Joe Biden.

Again, I like Biden and thought his plan for Iraq was the best I'd heard. But he clearly is on the ticket to balance the cries of "lack of experience", his "blue collar" following and his expertise in foreign policy.

Thanks. I guess pandering, to me anyway, has a negative connotation. From a political perspective, it seems like common sense to shore up where one is weak.

Alphaman

Both Clinton speeches during the convention were pandering to the same crowd that Palin's selection is pandering to. However, there is a difference in pandering via allowing someone to speak and selecting someone to run as VP.

Mecca
And you're comfortable with her being a heartbeat away from the Presidency despite not knowing anything about her stances on an important topic?(or her stances on a lot of things)

To McCain who's VP is more important than pretty much any other candidate because there is legit thought if he can make it through a term...

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 04:06 PM
What do you expect her to do in her first significant speech to a national audience? Of course she's going to give us her biography and introduce herself.

Let's look at the flip side. It's funny to see how Obama supporters are suddenly concerned about speeches that don't really say a lot.

I'm not criticizing the content of her speech(there really was none). I'm criticizing the people who are fawning over the speech, despite the claims they used to make about Obama's.

Alphaman
08-29-2008, 04:07 PM

How so?

Donger

Like I said, we'll know much about her before the election. I would hope so, anyway.

patteeu
I think you're probably giving his campaign a bit too much credit. I mean, he tabbed as his Vice President somebody he had met twice in his whole life. That is hard to friggin' fathom.

He's not getting married to her.

HolmeZz
08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
I would hope so, anyway.

I don't think it matters much to you, at least in terms of influencing your decision.

Calcountry
08-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Like hell she is.Do you believe in Hell Jenson?