PDA

View Full Version : Elections Rove: VP pick made looking "through the prism of a candidate, not ... of president"

jAZ
08-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Right prediction, wrong candidate, wrong party.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/211583.php

What Goes Around
Karl Rove, prescient as always:

"I think [Obama's] going to make an intensely political choice, not a governing choice," Rove said. "He's going to view this through the prism of a candidate, not through the prism of president; that is to say, he's going to pick somebody that he thinks will on the margin help him in a state like Indiana or Missouri or Virginia. He's not going to be thinking big and broad about the responsibilities of president."
Rove singled out Virginia governor Tim Kaine, also a Face The Nation guest, as an example of such a pick.

"With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he's been a governor for three years, he's been able but undistinguished," Rove said. "I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America."

Presumably this still holds true? (For comparison, Palin was mayor of a town that is not one of the ten largest in Alaska.)

<embed src='http://www.cbs.com/thunder/swf/rcpHolderCbs.swf?partner=userembed&vert=News&autoPlayVid=false&releaseURL=http://release.theplatform.com/content.select?pid=SSsCftxPaM7vzIUMlwUI86Pcjlf_4vAs' name='cbsPlayer' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' width='506' height='494' wmode='transparent' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' />

wazu
08-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Rove was wrong about Kaine. IMO Kaine is much more qualified for the role of President than Obama.

Direckshun
08-30-2008, 11:02 AM
"With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he's been a governor for three years, he's been able but undistinguished," Rove said. "I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America."
ROFL

GREAT find.

Good god this is hilarious. I swear to god the Biden pick looks genious compared to Palin.

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Rove was wrong about Kaine. IMO Kaine is much more qualified for the role of President than Obama.

Again, what exactly qualifies you to be President? What experience do you need?

dirk digler
08-30-2008, 11:09 AM
LMAO Nice find Jaz.

BigChiefFan
08-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Rove is a disgrace to America.

VAChief
08-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Rove is a disgrace to America.

Its ironic that an atheist chickenhawk has largely made his living pandering to the religious right.

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 11:49 AM
One inexperienced administrative senator with same career politician and no administrative experience as a VP to one career politician without administrative senator & a VP with administrative experience .

A Kaine pick still would have left the Obama ticket with out any foreign policy experience.

Hmmm, one of them have the upper hand here in experience. Comes down to who you believe. To each his / her own.

banyon
08-30-2008, 11:53 AM
One inexperienced administrative senator with same career politician and no administrative experience as a VP to one career politician without administrative senator & a VP with administrative experience .

A Kaine pick still would have left the Obama ticket with out any foreign policy experience.

Hmmm, one of them have the upper hand here in experience. Comes down to who you believe. To each his / her own.

The problem for McCain is that it used to be a clear advantage. Now it's not. It's all muddled now.

One way to look at it is that on the Dem side, Obama can turn to Biden if he needs a seasoned hand for guidance (Much like Bush argued about having Cheney around), and if he is killed, then Biden will be more than qualified.

McCain is unquestionably experienced, but if he kicks the bucket, then who will Sarah Palin turn to?

(*edit* BTW what's an "Administrative senator"?)

BucEyedPea
08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Folks both Obama and Palin have thin resumes.

Jenson71
08-30-2008, 12:00 PM
This thread should be stuck.

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 12:03 PM
The problem for McCain is that it used to be a clear advantage. Now it's not. It's all muddled now.

One way to look at it is that on the Dem side, Obama can turn to Biden if he needs a seasoned hand for guidance (Much like Bush argued about having Cheney around), and if he is killed, then Biden will be more than qualified.

McCain is unquestionably experienced, but if he kicks the bucket, then who will Sarah Palin turn to?

(*edit* BTW what's an "Administrative senator"?)

Agreed, it will be a fear.

Since people like negative spin , how about a VP that has failed evry time he ran for POTUS. How supportive is the American people about that ?

Just another negative spin, one I mentioned that you can find about anything or anybody . That's all ........ it's easy to spin anything .

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 12:05 PM

Since people like negative spin , how about a VP that has failed evry time he ran for POTUS. How supportive is the American people about that ?

Just another negative spin, one I mentioned that you can find about anything or anybody . That's all ........ it's easy to spin anything .

There's good ole Roy talking about how both parties do these things. Trying his hardest to be an independent.

It's like the little engine that could. Only he can't.

Jenson71
08-30-2008, 12:06 PM
That's all ........ it's easy to spin anything .

Well, you would know.

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Agreed .... Palin, just like Obama is fresh, full of ideas, claim to be tough, etc.

Both lack experience, but yet Obama preaches change, youth, this runs hand in hand with his theory. But yet Obama chose old ways as his experience, McCain chose young for a change.

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, you would know.

All Politicians know this, they use it , daily .

banyon
08-30-2008, 12:09 PM

I think it's pretty objective and reasonable take to say that this reduces the experience edge that McCain had in the campaign. There are people on both sides of the aisle all over the place saying this. Calling that "spin" is just blindly disingenuous.

And who cares about Biden running for POTUS? You know that McCain ran unsuccessfully as well, don't you? What does that have to do with anything?

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 12:10 PM

Please. Do tell what experience they are supposed to have. What qualifications?

Agreed .... Palin, just like Obama is fresh, full of ideas, claim to be tough, etc.

Both lack experience, but yet Obama preaches change, youth, this runs hand in hand with his theory. But yet Obama chose old ways as his experience, McCain chose young for a change.

ROFL

You say McCain picks young for a change (a good thing). Yet you use that argument against Obama.

We have a word for that: Hypocrite.

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 12:10 PM
All Politicians know this, they use it , daily .

Except, for, you know, when it's convenient to suggest Obama is the only one not spinning.

wazu
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM

At a bare minimum, you need to be at least 35 and a U.S. citizen. By that measurement, Obama, Palin, and Kaine are all qualified.

I really am not all that focused on experience to be honest, but I like to see at least a little of executive experience with a record that demonstrates how the person tends to manage different situations.

banyon
08-30-2008, 12:17 PM
At a bare minimum, you need to be at least 35 and a U.S. citizen. By that measurement, Obama, Palin, and Kaine are all qualified.

I really am not all that focused on experience to be honest, but I like to see at least a little of executive experience with a record that demonstrates how the person tends to manage different situations.

Not to be antagonistic, but what executive experience does McCain have?

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Please. Do tell what experience they are supposed to have. What qualifications?

ROFL

You say McCain picks young for a change (a good thing). Yet you use that argument against Obama.

We have a word for that: Hypocrite.

I didn't say " a good thing " , yur adding. I merely implied the same thing Obama preaches , youth, change.

Obama, New to the senate, New ?
Biden , Old ,same old song and dance

McCain ,Old ,same old song and dance
Palin, New to Wash.

Can't really say much about either, can we .

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Except, for, you know, when it's convenient to suggest Obama is the only one not spinning.

I've never claimed this, you are assuming this , well , as you like to make it known, you know me.

Please follow along .........

Jenson71
08-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I didn't say " a good thing " , yur adding. I merely implied the same thing Obama preaches , youth, change.

Palin, New to Wash.

I always took the Biden pick as to be partly a response to the "way too little experience" crowd.

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I always took the Biden pick as to be partly a response to the "way too little experience" crowd.

It was , especially after the Georgia incident that Obama muffed up. It was a pick for security.

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 12:28 PM

Palin, New to Wash.

I know you didn't say "a good thing." However, you strongly implied it. You said McCain was up for change and Obama just talks about change. And your argument was that McCain picked someone new to Washington.

You fall all over yourself when you argue. He's too inexperienced. But so is she? Well, she's new. But so is he?

All you do is go in circles. And then you pull this (the objective card):

I've never claimed this, you are assuming this , well , as you like to make it known, you know me.

Please follow along .........

Yes, Roy, we know. You claim to call out both sides. Yet, curiously, you participate one side of it. You claim to be independent and you are clearly not. You won't even admit that you are not.

And it isn't just me, for the record.

Deberg_1990
08-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Whats funny to me is, everyone always bitches "We need new blood in Washington!" "Get the career politicians out!" etc...

Then when we do actually get some new blood, people bitch about lack of experience. (Whatever that means?)

So when it comes down to it, people really want the safe choice.

wazu
08-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Not to be antagonistic, but what executive experience does McCain have?

None that I am aware of. And I think it would be worth mentioning...if the Dems had nominated Richardson.

Jenson71
08-30-2008, 12:33 PM
It was , especially after the Georgia incident that Obama muffed up. It was a pick for security.

So Obama had to cave into the pressures of the experience question. And as soon as he does that, the Right strips away the legitimacy of the experience question with the Palin pick.

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 12:33 PM
None that I am aware of. And I think it would be worth mentioning...if the Dems had nominated Richardson.

What exactly do you define as "executive experience"? Does this mean that any CEO is qualified?

Whats funny to me is, everyone always bitches "We need new blood in Washington!" "Get the career politicians out!" etc...

Then when we do actually get some new blood, people bitch about lack of experience. (Whatever that means?)

So when it comes down to it, people really want the safe choice.

Yes. There is a term for the phenomenon of always calling for change but always voting in YOUR rep. People HATE Congress but LOVE their rep.

HolyHandgernade
08-30-2008, 12:35 PM

If Bush is our guide, it is apparantly NOT wisdom.

-HH

Deberg_1990
08-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes. There is a term for the phenomenon of always calling for change but always voting in YOUR rep. People HATE Congress but LOVE their rep.

Ive always been for term limits in congress. No more than 3 sounds fair.

wazu
08-30-2008, 12:42 PM
What exactly do you define as "executive experience"? Does this mean that any CEO is qualified?

I think CEO counts. It's not as good as being a governor, or maybe the mayor of a large city, but it counts. That being said, if somebody's only experience was as a CEO, I would have a little concern about how they will conduct themselves in public office, just because there is no track record to point to.

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 12:46 PM
I think CEO counts. It's not as good as being a governor, or maybe the mayor of a large city, but it counts. That being said, if somebody's only experience was as a CEO, I would have a little concern about how they will conduct themselves in public office, just because there is no track record to point to.

So really, you have a problem with anyone who hasn't been a governor or mayor?

What if they were one for 6 months? 1 year? Does it matter?

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 12:59 PM
So Obama had to cave into the pressures of the experience question. And as soon as he does that, the Right strips away the legitimacy of the experience question with the Palin pick.

No . He didn't have to , but that is what people are relating it to . Both Palin and Obama are short on experience.

Jenson71
08-30-2008, 01:00 PM
No . He didn't have to , but that is what people are relating it to . Both Palin and Obama are short on experience.

But alot of people on the right don't care that Palin is short on experience.

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Ive always been for term limits in congress. No more than 3 sounds fair.

Agree ........

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 01:04 PM
But alot of people on the right don't care that Palin is short on experience.

It does concern me some, but I feel she is better qualified for running something over Obama at this time.

Most republicans are OK with McCain like the democrats are with Biden on experiences within the senate and government.

Obama is still learning, a work in progress , as is Palin.

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 01:05 PM
It does concern me some, but I feel she is better qualified for running something over Obama at this time.

And that's why you aren't objective.

HolmeZz
08-30-2008, 01:06 PM

You didn't know who she was before yesterday.

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 01:10 PM
And that's why you aren't objective.

I see little difference in the 2, But Palin does have some management in government spending and affairs .

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 01:10 PM
You didn't know who she was before yesterday.

Wrong, as usual, but then you knew this , right.

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I see little difference in the 2, But Palin does have some management in government spending and affairs .

This management in spending and affairs must be really good considering the Alaskan Senate is saying she's unqualified. And they're Republican.

ROFL

There really is nothing different about them. You just like the R next to her name. All I ask is that you admit it.

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 01:17 PM
This management in spending and affairs must be really good considering the Alaskan Senate is saying she's unqualified. And they're Republican.

ROFL

There really is nothing different about them. You just like the R next to her name. All I ask is that you admit it.

What does Obama have, other than community service work ?

ROYC75
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Be back later, I have a little league football game to coach. Later guys .....

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
What does Obama have, other than community service work ?

ROFL

Another deflection to Obama. I have said nothing about Obama's experience. I'm stilly trying to gather what experience people need to be POTUS. You still haven't given me anything more than an list of abstracts.

Jenson71
08-30-2008, 01:26 PM

Yeah - you "feel." I "feel" safe with her - she has R next to her name. Why think, when you can "feel?"

irishjayhawk
08-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah - you "feel." I "feel" safe with her - she has R next to her name. Why think, when you can "feel?"

All I ask of him is to admit it and I'll let up. He won't. He's intellectually and plainly dishonest.

banyon
08-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Seriously, can anyone answer this question?

The problem for McCain is that [experience] used to be a clear advantage. Now it's not. It's all muddled now.

beer bacon
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Rove runs the GOP and McCain's campaign, so he is going to be the power behind the throne once again if McCain gets elected. With Bush as President, major decisions were always looked at through a political prism, "Does this give more power to Neocons and the GOP? Will this help our chances for the next election?"

What I am saying is Rove is going to be controlling things anyways, if Palin becomes President she will just have to do whatever Rove and Company tells her. You know, just like our current President.

RINGLEADER
08-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Mark my words. You're going to hear more about "judgment" than "experience" and when Palin starts talking about visiting soldiers in Germany and comes off as something slightly more than a clueless fool on foreign policy (which is what the Dems are warning us about by saying she has no experience) she'll clear the bar and leave people impressed. It was the same mistake the Dems made in 2000 with Bush.

She does need to clear that bar, granted, but her opponents keep lowering the bar to the point where all she has to do is tie with Biden in the debate.

Jenson71
08-30-2008, 01:46 PM

I guess we'd have to see McCain's administration. Or maybe she had a personal adviser in Wasilla.

RINGLEADER
08-30-2008, 01:50 PM
ROFL

Another deflection to Obama. I have said nothing about Obama's experience. I'm stilly trying to gather what experience people need to be POTUS. You still haven't given me anything more than an list of abstracts.

Not to be a broken record but it isn't so much experience as it is judgment when it comes to Obama. Wants to punitively raise taxes even in the face of evidence that it yields the opposite effect desired (i.e., lower revenues) because he thinks it is the "fair" thing to do, wants to slow the development of new weapons system (presumably so Russia and China can get them first and keep our soldiers from having the best armor and best weapons), or when he makes ludicrous statements like he did in his acceptance speech about going through the budget line-item by line-item to find waste when there are millions of entries (and never mind the fact that last time I checked the president doesn't have the authority to do so even if he wants), etc., etc.

All that said I have no clue if Palin is capable of being president but she'll either prove herself worthy or fall on her face. Ultimately it will factor in but I doubt you'll see many ads about the issue (and if Obama's campaign walks out on a ledge to make her an issue I think the chances of a McCain win go WAY up).

HolmeZz
08-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Mark my words. You're going to hear more about "judgment" than "experience"

That's exactly what Obama wants.

McCain had Obama on defense when experience was in the forefront. And Obama wasn't doing a really great job combating that. McCain bailed Barack out on what was probably going to be the determining factor of this election.

RINGLEADER
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM

The simple answer is that the Democrats in both houses of congress would have oversight to confirm whoever she nominates for the position.

banyon
08-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Wants to punitively raise taxes even in the face of evidence that it yields the opposite effect desired (i.e., lower revenues) because he thinks it is the "fair" thing to do.

Didn't you try this a couple of days ago too?

going through the budget line-item by line-item to find waste when there are millions of entries (and never mind the fact that last time I checked the president doesn't have the authority to do so even if he wants), etc., etc.

That doesn't mean he can't address it prior to him submitting a budget or refuse to sign a budget that doesn't trim enogh of it. Also, I think if theline item veto question were proposed to the current Court, it might hold up this time.

banyon
08-30-2008, 01:57 PM
The simple answer is that the Democrats in both houses of congress would have oversight to confirm whoever she nominates for the position.

So, you don't know either, then?

RINGLEADER
08-30-2008, 01:58 PM
That's exactly what Obama wants.

McCain had Obama on defense when experience was in the forefront. And Obama wasn't doing a really great job combating that. McCain bailed Barack out on what was probably going to be the determining factor of this election.

I don't disagree if Palin looks incompetent, but if she does look competent Obama has a real problem. Especially when America, courtesy of the McCain campaign, starts to hear things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl32Y7wDVDs

RINGLEADER
08-30-2008, 02:01 PM
So, you don't know either, then?

I don't know what you're asking. Who she'll turn to for advice? Probably the same bureaucracy and cabinet that would be in place before an unfortunate passing of McCain if he becomes president. Then she'd nominate a new vice-president and the Dems would vote that person into office or vote against that person.

RINGLEADER
08-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Rove runs the GOP and McCain's campaign, so he is going to be the power behind the throne once again if McCain gets elected. With Bush as President, major decisions were always looked at through a political prism, "Does this give more power to Neocons and the GOP? Will this help our chances for the next election?"

What I am saying is Rove is going to be controlling things anyways, if Palin becomes President she will just have to do whatever Rove and Company tells her. You know, just like our current President.

ROFL I missed you guys...

HolmeZz
08-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't disagree if Palin looks incompetent, but if she does look competent Obama has a real problem. Especially when America, courtesy of the McCain campaign, starts to hear things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl32Y7wDVDs

Nevermind, I thought you were looking for an intelligent conversation.

This country isn't going to forget about all the things McCain said about the importance of experience. Experience was the main reason why this race has been close. If appearing competent was all it took for the experience issue to go away, it wouldn't have stuck with Obama.

banyon
08-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't know what you're asking. Who she'll turn to for advice? Probably the same bureaucracy and cabinet that would be in place before an unfortunate passing of McCain if he becomes president. Then she'd nominate a new vice-president and the Dems would vote that person into office or vote against that person.

I agree that it's the process and it doesn't really trouble me much personally either. It is still an unknown, though. But my only point is if you're going to try to play up the fears of what an inexperienced Obama would do as Pres. to the undecided voters, then McCain's choice for VP has made that discussion a 2 way street, effectively limiting the usefulness of that line of attack against Obama.

vailpass
08-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I agree that it's the process and it doesn't really trouble me much personally either. It is still an unknown, though. But my only point is if you're going to try to play up the fears of what an inexperienced Obama would do as Pres. to the undecided voters, then McCain's choice for VP has made that discussion a 2 way street, effectively limiting the usefulness of that line of attack against Obama.

You don't feel that a POTUS should be held to a higher standard than a VP when it comes to experience?
IMO the people will voice a different opinion come November.

banyon
08-30-2008, 02:13 PM
You don't feel that a POTUS should be held to a higher standard than a VP when it comes to experience?
IMO the people will voice a different opinion come November.

Ok. Remind me what the qualifications to be vice president are.

beer bacon
08-30-2008, 02:17 PM
McCain obviously does not think the experience he has claimed as his advantage over Obama is really that big of a deal. He wants to put someone with less experience then Obama one step away from the Presidency.

***SPRAYER
08-30-2008, 06:29 PM
McCain obviously does not think the experience he has claimed as his advantage over Obama is really that big of a deal. He wants to put someone with less experience then Obama one step away from the Presidency.

Moonbat talking point: Palin is one heartbeat away from the presidency.

Well, B.O. is less than that and that scares me alot more. In fact, Palin at PUTUS doesn't scare me at all. I like her more than McCain, B.O. and whats his name... oh yeah, Biden. ROFL

I think Putin would use that sissy B.O. for a punching bag. Palin would show him her Bear head trophies on the wall, and he would think twice.

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Obama_CommunityMissingOrg_1.gif

Messier
08-30-2008, 06:31 PM

Well, B.O. is less than that and that scares me alot more. In fact, Palin at PUTUS doesn't scare me at all. I like her more than McCain, B.O. and whats his name... oh yeah, Biden. ROFL

I think Putin would use that sissy B.O. for a punching bag. Palin would show him her Bear head trophies on the wall, and he would think twice.

http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Obama_CommunityMissingOrg_1.gif

She's one tough SOB!

beer bacon
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
shiteater has fantasies about getting manhandled by Putin? Color me not surprised.

***SPRAYER
08-30-2008, 06:33 PM
She's one tough SOB!

She could definitely kick B.O.'s skinny ass.

Jenson71
08-30-2008, 06:34 PM

Well, then let's admit the whole inexperience question was just a fake political attack by the Right; a non-issue for the Right.

***SPRAYER
08-30-2008, 06:35 PM
shiteater has fantasies about getting manhandled by Putin? Color me not surprised.

Looks like you and Paco had a good time:

http://www.zombietime.com/up_your_alley_2008/

***SPRAYER
08-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, then let's admit the whole inexperience question was just a fake political attack by the Right; a non-issue for the Right.

:crybaby:

jAZ
08-31-2008, 01:51 AM
Mark my words. You're going to hear more about "judgment" than "experience" and when Palin starts talking about visiting soldiers in Germany and comes off as something slightly more than a clueless fool on foreign policy (which is what the Dems are warning us about by saying she has no experience) she'll clear the bar and leave people impressed. It was the same mistake the Dems made in 2000 with Bush.

She does need to clear that bar, granted, but her opponents keep lowering the bar to the point where all she has to do is tie with Biden in the debate.
True and good post.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 10:28 AM
Gee, I thought B.O.'s strategy was to run against Bush. I can't understand all the concern by the libtards over McCain's choice of running mate.

wazu
08-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Gee, I thought B.O.'s strategy was to run against Bush. I can't understand all the concern by the libtards over McCain's choice of running mate.

She's a serious curve-ball. I am betting the Obama campaign would much rather have had some worn-out failed, party-line primary candidate like Romney.

banyon
08-31-2008, 04:57 PM
She's a serious curve-ball. I am betting the Obama campaign would much rather have had some worn-out failed, party-line primary candidate like Romney.

The economy still rates as the biggest issue and they're both economic lightweights, so I'm glad it's not Romney.

wazu
08-31-2008, 04:59 PM
The economy still rates as the biggest issue and they're both economic lightweights, so I'm glad it's not Romney.

I just don't think people would really vote for McCain so they could get Romney as a V.P.

Friendo
08-31-2008, 05:21 PM

she's a wild pitch from a Party that has boxed itself in--you'd lose that bet with me.

jAZ
08-31-2008, 05:21 PM
I just don't think people would really vote for McCain so they could get Romney as a V.P.

If McCain needs people to "vote for (him) so they could get (xyz) as a V.P." then he's a disaster to begin with.

wazu
08-31-2008, 05:33 PM
If McCain needs people to "vote for (him) so they could get (xyz) as a V.P." then he's a disaster to begin with.

Whether he needs it or not, if he was confident he gains one percent across the board by selecting a particular running mate, wouldn't he do it? Normally I don't think the V.P. does much either way, but Palin could clearly be different.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 05:35 PM

Sure, you wish the evangelicals were sitting this one out.

:rolleyes:

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 05:36 PM

Why did B.O. pick Biden?

SBK
08-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Why did B.O. pick Biden?

Because Biden is a typical white guy, and typical white people will be more likely to vote for a typical white guy.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Because Biden is a typical white guy, and typical white people will be more likely to vote for a typical white guy.

Why didn't the Dem's just make Biden the prez candidate?

ROFL

SBK
08-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Why didn't the Dem's just make Biden the prez candidate?

ROFL

Because America is ready for change, hope for tomorrow, and a light to shine down and tell us to vote for Barack.

I'd say jAZ spoke too soon about the VP slot.....zing

jAZ
08-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Whether he needs it or not, if he was confident he gains one percent across the board by selecting a particular running mate, wouldn't he do it?
It appears he would, but I don't see how selling out the country in order to get elected is "Country First".

And even David Frum appears to be stunned:

http://frum.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M2VhOWE0N2VkOWI3MDdlODRlZWE4ODljMDc2NjliZDk=

DAVID FRUM'S DIARY
Friday, August 29, 2008

Palin

The longer I think about it, the less well this selection sits with me. And I increasingly doubt that it will prove good politics. The Palin choice looks cynical. The wires are showing.

John McCain wanted a woman: good.

He wanted to keep conservatives and pro-lifers happy: naturally.

He wanted someone who looked young and dynamic: smart.

And he discovered that he could not reconcile all these imperatives with the stated goal of finding a running mate qualified to assume the duties of the presidency "on day one."

Sarah Palin may well have concealed inner reservoirs of greatness. I hope so! But I'd guess that John McCain does not have a much better sense of who she is, what she believes, and the extent of her abilities than my enthusiastic friends over at the Corner. It's a wild gamble, undertaken by our oldest ever first-time candidate for president in hopes of changing the board of this election campaign. Maybe it will work. But maybe (and at least as likely) it will reinforce a theme that I'd be pounding home if I were the Obama campaign: that it's John McCain for all his white hair who represents the risky choice, while it is Barack Obama who offers cautious, steady, predictable governance.

Here's I fear the worst harm that may be done by this selection. The McCain campaign's slogan is "country first." It's a good slogan, and it aptly describes John McCain, one of the most self-sacrificing, gallant, and honorable men ever to seek the presidency.

But question: If it were your decision, and you were putting your country first, would you put an untested small-town mayor a heartbeat away from the presidency?

Friendo
08-31-2008, 06:00 PM
It appears he would, but I don't see how selling out the country in order to get elected is "Country First".

And even David Frum appears to be stunned:

http://frum.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M2VhOWE0N2VkOWI3MDdlODRlZWE4ODljMDc2NjliZDk=

DAVID FRUM'S DIARY
Friday, August 29, 2008

Palin

The longer I think about it, the less well this selection sits with me. And I increasingly doubt that it will prove good politics. The Palin choice looks cynical. The wires are showing.

John McCain wanted a woman: good.

He wanted to keep conservatives and pro-lifers happy: naturally.

He wanted someone who looked young and dynamic: smart.

And he discovered that he could not reconcile all these imperatives with the stated goal of finding a running mate qualified to assume the duties of the presidency "on day one."

Sarah Palin may well have concealed inner reservoirs of greatness. I hope so! But I'd guess that John McCain does not have a much better sense of who she is, what she believes, and the extent of her abilities than my enthusiastic friends over at the Corner. It's a wild gamble, undertaken by our oldest ever first-time candidate for president in hopes of changing the board of this election campaign. Maybe it will work. But maybe (and at least as likely) it will reinforce a theme that I'd be pounding home if I were the Obama campaign: that it's John McCain for all his white hair who represents the risky choice, while it is Barack Obama who offers cautious, steady, predictable governance.

Here's I fear the worst harm that may be done by this selection. The McCain campaign's slogan is "country first." It's a good slogan, and it aptly describes John McCain, one of the most self-sacrificing, gallant, and honorable men ever to seek the presidency.

But question: If it were your decision, and you were putting your country first, would you put an untested small-town mayor a heartbeat away from the presidency?

spot f**king on! ie--"a wild pitch"

jAZ
08-31-2008, 06:04 PM
If it were your decision, and you were putting your country first, would you put an untested small-town mayor a heartbeat away from the presidency?
Quote of the campaign.

SBK
08-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Quote of the campaign.

She's the Governor of a state.

Perhaps the right should run with....

"When it comes down to it, do you want a community agitator running the country?"

banyon
08-31-2008, 06:37 PM
link (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MTA1MTI2ZjJjMzIwYmE2ZGIxNDAzNDk4NDcwZjg4MDg=)

"The choice also says a lot about McCain. First, that he is a bit desperate," Coffin writes... "Second, that he is one arrogant SOB. McCain is essentially telling the world that he doesn't really need a Vice President.... Rather, the Office would seem poised to return to the 'proverbial warm bucket of p***' category."