PDA

View Full Version : Elections Other WTF picks...

Direckshun
08-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Like it or not, Palin was very much a WTF pick.

What other WTF picks have been made that even rival this selection?

The only one I can think of that trumps it is Harriet Myers, Bush's second Supreme Court nomination when he chose his own personal lawyers and the nomination bit it hard.

I actually think the Palin pick is comparable to Clarence Thomas, because he was a bizarre choice that few saw coming, and responding to him was complicated largely by his race, much like hers will be by her gender.

Can anybody who maybe has a deeper knowledge of government and politics give me other examples?

wazu
08-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Barack Obama.

Sully
08-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Damon Huard

BigMeatballDave
Barack Obama.

ROFL

BigMeatballDave
Biden

SNR
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Geraldine Ferraro

Ohhhh... that's sexissssssssssssssst

Sully
08-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Julia Roberts circa 1991 picking Lyle Lovett

Direckshun
08-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Barack Obama.
Jesus, Adam. The guy campaigned. He summoned the biggest fundraising effort in primary history, largely on the backs of $20 donations. He went toe-to-toe rhetorically for months and months with the biggest name in Democratic politics.

That equates to at least a semblence of people understanding why Democrats would get behind his candidacy. Miers, Thomas, and Palin weren't brought in on the backs of popular votes, they were selected by individuals. And they came in from nowhere out of left field.

Unless you are just brickwall stupid, you knew that distinction.

Sully
08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
The FBI guys in Die Hard picking 2 agents named Johnson.
I mean... WTF was up with that?

wazu
08-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Jesus, Adam. The guy campaigned. He summoned the biggest fundraising effort in primary history, largely on the backs of $20 donations. He went toe-to-toe rhetorically for months and months with the biggest name in Democratic politics.

No doubt. If there is one thing Obama does well, it's raise money, give speeches, and campaign. His accomplishments as a campaigner are the stuff of legend. I guess once he is president in his second term he might finally stop campaigning and actually do something so that at the end of his political career there will be at least one or two actual tangible accomplishments to point to. Cause at that point, it's "legacy" time, baby!

Direckshun
08-30-2008, 02:08 PM
No doubt. If there is one thing Obama does well, it's raise money, give speeches, and campaign. His accomplishments as a campaigner are the stuff of legend. I guess once he is president in his second term he might finally stop campaigning and actually do something so that at the end of his political career there will be at least one or two actual tangible accomplishments to point to. Cause at that point, it's "legacy" time, baby!
And Adam, faced with the fact that he's lost ground on the subject at hand, changes it and prays no one notices.

wazu
08-30-2008, 02:14 PM
And Adam, faced with the fact that he's lost ground on the subject at hand, changes it and prays no one notices.

Huh? Didn't you just say Obama isn't a WTF pick because of his remarkable ability to campaign rather than govern or manage anything? I thought I was just conceding the point.

Programmer
08-30-2008, 02:21 PM

You got that right, he would do his first four years as president working the campaign for the next four years. Not much would be done.

The good news is that he will not be elected so we don't have to worry about his next round of campaigning (unless he attempts to run a second time after losing).

Bowser
08-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Julia Roberts circa 1991 picking Lyle Lovett

Thread ovah.

Direckshun
08-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Huh? Didn't you just say Obama isn't a WTF pick because of his remarkable ability to campaign rather than govern or manage anything? I thought I was just conceding the point.
Hey whatever.

A W's a W.

J Diddy
08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
You got that right, he would do his first four years as president working the campaign for the next four years. Not much would be done.

The good news is that he will not be elected so we don't have to worry about his next round of campaigning (unless he attempts to run a second time after losing).
:shake:

4 years of doing nothing is a significant upgrade over the past 8