PDA

View Full Version : Misc Obama on Gustav: Preparation 'appears to be good'

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:34 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/13012;_ylt=Akc00ANKZZPQFWaKGOfArtGs0NUE

DUBLIN, Ohio — After conversations Saturday with Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and emergency management officials about Hurricane Gustav, Barack Obama said cooperation between the local and federal government “appears to be good” but he will continue to monitor it.

“The main message,” Obama said, “is for the public in those areas that are potentially in danger to take the evacuation seriously, even if you have ridden out this storm before, even if you think that it may pass over, even if you think you can wait until the last minute, this is going to be potentially very, very serious.”

It was the second time Saturday that Obama had spoken with the press about the hurricane, now a Category 4 storm. After an evening rally here, Obama detailed his conversations with Jindal, Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and R. David Paulison, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

“This could be gigantic in terms of in its consequences,” said Obama’s running mate, Joe Biden, who stood at his side. “Ride out of town, get out of town. Do what the governor is suggesting.”

Obama said he did not have plans to visit the area, adding: “We can be a distraction in these situations.”
He declined to say whether President Bush should attend the Republican National Convention, where he is scheduled to speak on Monday.

“I don't want to wade into the White House’s decision-making at this point,” Obama said. “The main priority has to be making sure that everything is being done on the ground to prevent a repeat of some of the tragic situations we saw several years ago. I think the White House is mindful of that, FEMA is mindful of that, and my expectation is that they are monitoring it very closely.”

banyon
08-30-2008, 11:34 PM
that uppity ____________.

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
that uppity ____________.

They should both stay the f*ck out of this. McCain is going to Mississippi.

McCain, Palin going to region threatened by storm

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Likely GOP presidential nominee John McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, are traveling to Mississippi on Sunday to check on people getting prepared for Hurricane Gustav.

Their trip comes just as delegates are preparing for the Republican National Convention, which begins Monday.

Aides say McCain and his wife Cindy will join Palin in traveling to Jackson, Miss., Sunday at the invitation of Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour because of concerns about people threatened by the storm, which was heading into the Gulf of Mexico and menacing the same area ravaged by Hurricane Katrina three years ago. The storm could hit the United States as early as Monday afternoon.

The McCains and Palin will receive a briefing at the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency — a permanent operations center monitoring hurricane response.

Republicans are worried about holding their national convention during the storm.

If the storm's landfall is serious, McCain said he probably would rethink allowing the four-day political gathering to continue.

"It just wouldn't be appropriate to have a festive occasion while a near tragedy or a terrible challenge is presented in the form of a natural disaster," McCain said in an interview taped Saturday with "Fox News Sunday." "So we're monitoring it from day to day, and I'm saying a few prayers, too."

President Bush was criticized after Katrina struck in August 2005 because he stuck to a schedule that took him from his ranch in Texas on a two-day trip to Arizona and California. There, he promoted a Medicare proposal while making just scant references to Katrina even as it slammed the Gulf Coast. Bush even happily strummed a guitar backstage at one event. He did not return to Washington until two days after the storm and did not visit the region until five days after.

The Bush White House was badly burned by its fumbling response after Katrina. Bush's image as a strong leader has never entirely rebounded, even though he has labored to improve on the Katrina performance.

dirk digler
08-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Obama is smart and he is staying away because it diverts resources away from the people who need help.

Meanwhile McCain\Palin are heading down there so they can look like they care even though McCain was eating birthday cake when Katrina hit last year and he could care less.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/images/20050829-5_p082905pm-0125-515h.jpg

jAZ
08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
They should both stay the f*ck out of this. McCain is going to Mississippi.
The Bush Administration requires endless scrutiny for every decision they make but most specially CAT 4 hurricanes heading towards New Orleans.

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Obama is smart and he is staying away because it diverts resources away from the people who need help.

Meanwhile McCain\Palin are heading down there so they can look like they care even though McCain was eating birthday cake when Katrina hit last year and he could care less.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/08/images/20050829-5_p082905pm-0125-515h.jpg

Honestly, I would hope that they would both suspend the politics when it comes to this. Pick it back up when it is over.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2008, 11:41 PM
when Katrina hit last yearQu?

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:42 PM
The Bush Administration requires endless scrutiny for every decision they make but most specially CAT 4 hurricanes heading towards New Orleans.

Do either of these men have any decision-making authority in this case?

banyon
08-30-2008, 11:43 PM

Sure, if Congress were to appropriate emergency funds, etc.

dirk digler
08-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Honestly, I would hope that they would both suspend the politics when it comes to this. Pick it back up when it is over.

I agree and it appears Obama is but McCain isn't. Also Obama did the same thing earlier this year when Iowa was flooding. He was scheduled to come in and speak and he canceled because he didn't want to divert any resources.

But McCain showed up in Iowa.

You can see where his priorities lie.

Ultra Peanut
08-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Word is that McCain may go down to the gulf and give his acceptance speech via satellite. That's... weird.

dirk digler
Qu?

sorry it just seems like yesterday

Donger
Sure, if Congress were to appropriate emergency funds, etc.

I meant from a tactical perspective. FEMA, first-responders, etc.

They should both stay away and stay out of it.

Donger
08-30-2008, 11:46 PM
I agree and it appears Obama is but McCain isn't. Also Obama did the same thing earlier this year when Iowa was flooding. He was scheduled to come in and speak and he canceled because he didn't want to divert any resources.

But McCain showed up in Iowa.

You can see where his priorities lie.

McCain's going to Jackson, which isn't exactly in the path of this. Still, I'd rather not see it politicized.

banyon
08-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I meant from a tactical perspective. FEMA, first-responders, etc.

They should both stay away and stay out of it.

FWIW I agree mainly, but it's politically very awkwardly timed.

jAZ
08-30-2008, 11:51 PM
As Senators they both have funding decision making and agency oversight control. So yes.

As the President (one of them will be elected), they are the ones who would have to fix any additional massive failures of Bush's. So they each have a few stakes in it going well.

But my remarks aren't limited to McCain and Obama. We all should be watching them closely and assuming no zero reason for confidence in any of their judgement.

dirk digler
08-30-2008, 11:51 PM
McCain's going to Jackson, which isn't exactly in the path of this. Still, I'd rather not see it politicized.

I agree but it is the silly season so we can't expect the politicians to keep their noses out of it

HolmeZz
08-31-2008, 12:01 AM
If McCain can send Cindy, Joe Lieberman, and Lindsay Graham to Georgia, I think Obama can comment on the preparation of an impending national crisis.

Donger
08-31-2008, 12:05 AM
As Senators they both have funding decision making and agency oversight control. So yes.

As the President (one of them will be elected), they are the ones who would have to fix any additional massive failures of Bush's. So they each have a few stakes in it going well.

But my remarks aren't limited to McCain and Obama. We all should be watching them closely and assuming no zero reason for confidence in any of their judgement.

You agree with them inserting themselves into this?

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 12:07 AM
You agree with them inserting themselves into this?In your opinion, is Obama inserting himself into this by offering a benign comment about the officials' handling of it and reiterating that evacuation is very important?

Donger
08-31-2008, 12:10 AM
I agree but it is the silly season so we can't expect the politicians to keep their noses out of it

Yes, I can. Say a nice word, give a speech, but don't call the Governor of Louisiana to get briefed on preparations. Don't go to Mississippi to get briefed.

They have better things to do right now. Stay out.

jAZ
08-31-2008, 12:10 AM
You agree with them inserting themselves into this?

I said this earlier, that I think if they should make a joint visit to the area and remove the political one-upping opportunism.

Donger
08-31-2008, 12:12 AM
In your opinion, is Obama inserting himself into this by offering a benign comment about the officials' handling of it and reiterating that evacuation is very important?

No, he's inserting himself into it by calling the Governor of Mississippi, the Mayor of New Orleans and the head of FEMA.

Donger
08-31-2008, 12:13 AM
I said this earlier, that I think if they should make a joint visit to the area and remove the political one-upping opportunism.

They should should both sit down and shut-up.

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Counterpoint:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2eykv8w.jpg

DeezNutz
08-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Counterpoint:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2eykv8w.jpg

Is this from today?

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Is this from today?I think it was yesterday. Not sure. Looks like Biden is rocking the butter pecan in one hand.

DeezNutz
08-31-2008, 12:26 AM
I think it was yesterday. Not sure.

Well, your point would be made more strongly if it's from today, but, regardless, nicely played.