PDA

View Full Version : Elections Palin was almost recalled. (But it's the reason why that matters.)

Direckshun
08-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Something about her you probably didn't know.

Apparently as mayor of Wasilla she fired the Wasilla police chief because he supported her Democratic opponent in 1996. He took her to court, where she won, because the law says the mayor can fire police chiefs for any reason they want.

Of course, she's the subject of a federal investigation now because she's fired her former brother-in-law (a public safety commissioner) during a custody dispute with her sister.

So what does this tell us about Palin? It indicates a streak of cronyism in her that promotes loyalty over safety.

If you're going to have a very short track record, it doesn't help for it to be shrouded in this kind of bullshit.

http://hatthief.blogspot.com/2008/08/vetting-sarah-palin-irl-stambaugh-walt.html

Friday, August 29, 2008

Vetting Sarah Palin: Irl Stambaugh, Walt Monegan and Cronyism

It seems that John McCain's vice presidential pick Sarah Palin is not squeaky clean. In fact, she may be as corrupt as pretty much every other still living Alaskan Republican to have held statewide office (the Murkowskis, Ted Stevens, Don Young pretty much covers it).

It seems that in 1997, she almost got recalled as mayor of Wasilla?

What led to this? Seems she fired the city police chief and library director.

Wasilla Mayor Sarah Palin fired the city's police chief and the library director without warning Thursday, accusing them of not fully supporting her efforts to govern. Irl Stambaugh and Mary Ellen Emmons said letters signed by Palin were dropped on their desks Thursday afternoon telling them their jobs were over as of Feb. 13 and that they no longer needed to report to work.

"Not fully supporting her efforts to govern" seems to have meant, "supporting her opponent, John Stein, in the 1996 election"

This led Police Chief Stambaugh to sue for breach of contract.

Three years later (via March 2nd, 2000's AP State and Local Wire), a federal judge ruled in favor of Palin. Not that she fired him for an ethical reason, though.

No, his ruling was that Alaska state law allows mayors to fire the chief of police for whatever reason he or she wanted.

But Singleton said that under state law, police chiefs serve at the behest of the mayor unless otherwise specified by city ordinance. Stein, the former mayor, had worked out an agreement with Stambaugh forbidding termination without cause, but the city council never voted on it, Singleton ruled.

So, essentially, Sarah Palin put personal loyalty over the safety of the people of Wasilla, Alaska and got away with it.

Of course, we've heard about how she did the same thing recently with Alaska public safety commissioner Walt Monegan.

So for Sarah Palin, security does not come first. Like George Bush, it takes a backseat to personal loyalty and cronyism.

Posted by DemocraticLuntz at 8:35 AM

Direckshun
08-31-2008, 01:06 AM
McCain/Palin.

More of the same.

Thig Lyfe
08-31-2008, 01:14 AM
So I guess she came closer to recalling than, say, the Attorney General?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AIQkJaCu-GA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AIQkJaCu-GA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jAZ
08-31-2008, 01:35 AM
ROFL...

The gift that keeps on giving.

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 02:05 AM
She also left her town of 8,000 in serious debt, too, thanks to her Wasilla Sports Complex (http://dwb.adn.com/news/alaska/matsu/story/9055227p-8971221c.html) bungle.

I'm sure the libertarians on here love seeing eminent domain used to try to take land from a developer, right?

Long story short, Wasilla is in great shape! (http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2008/02/01/local_news/doc47a2c7bcdf210495927316.txt)

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 07:36 AM
Chances are, ink-stained wretches are plumbing Palin's every past public utterance desperately seeking the evidence that proves she too is an amiable dunce. Of course, any misstatement on the campaign trail will serve as prima facie proof of her dim intellect. True, political observers have formed gambling pools wagering on when Joe Biden will make his first hilarious gaffe as Barack Obama's running mate. While that gaffe, inevitable as it is, may do damage to the ticket, no one on the New York Times editorial board will conclude from it that Joe Biden isn't that bright. Sarah Palin will not receive the same benefit of the doubt.

In some ways, being Sarah Palin for the next two months and change doesn't sound like a lot of fun. In spite of her many and notable self-made successes, an entire intellectual industry has already sprouted up with the sole intention of proving that she's a moron. The left wants to Quayle-ize her, and their efforts to do so won't be half-hearted.

But there is good news for Sarah Palin as the latter-day Howell Raineses and Clark Cliffords line up to smear her: She controls how the American people will come to view her much more than they do. There's a reason her excellent speech on Friday set off such a firestorm of rage and irrational hissy-fits on the left. Speaking directly to the American people, Palin cut an attractive and intelligent figure. Regardless of the left's anger, the American people will believe their own eyes rather than a frustrated blogger's or haughty anchorman's blustery "analysis."

Dean Barnett is a staff writer at THE WEEKLY STANDARD.

BucEyedPea
08-31-2008, 08:45 AM
Dean Barnett is a staff writer at THE WEEKLY STANDARD.

It's unfortunate you read The Weekly Slandered—usually a lie factory. It is the master NC publication. ( lefties in the GOP) It is mainly due to this publication that the GOP has gone off the rails the past 8 years. Not that I disagree with this particular article. The left will do routine opposition research. But the WS themselves are the kings of smear and slander calling anyone a Jew-hater who points out what the NCs have done to the party—moved it left by uniting Rs in their fear and hate of the ME in order to wage pre-emptive and endless war. Useful idiots. (I doubt it will be a whole lot different with the D's in power.) Something tells me that Palin for these folks is someone to be exploited as one too. A sacrificial lamb. Poor girl. I like her, but now I feel sorry for her if these guys like her. I heard Billy Kristol selected her even.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Jesus, how can anyone be this much of a f*ckup. I'm just waiting to hear about her receiving electroshock therapy at this point.

banyon
08-31-2008, 09:59 AM
I still think this is pretty petty stuff. Sub-mayoral positions routinely (if not elected depending on the city charter) serve at the pleasure of the mayor. This pales in comparison to the hirings and firings of the Bush administration and the reasons given.

I would note that if this had happened in Kansas in 2008, the firing might have ben illegal. In 1997, though it would have been legal. Kansas law now prohibits firings resulting from a worker excersicing their first amendment rights, though there are few cases to clarify how broad this protection is.

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Chances are, ink-stained wretches are plumbing Palin's every past public utterance desperately seeking the evidence that proves she too is an amiable dunce. Of course, any misstatement on the campaign trail will serve as prima facie proof of her dim intellect. True, political observers have formed gambling pools wagering on when Joe Biden will make his first hilarious gaffe as Barack Obama's running mate. While that gaffe, inevitable as it is, may do damage to the ticket, no one on the New York Times editorial board will conclude from it that Joe Biden isn't that bright. Sarah Palin will not receive the same benefit of the doubt.

In some ways, being Sarah Palin for the next two months and change doesn't sound like a lot of fun. In spite of her many and notable self-made successes, an entire intellectual industry has already sprouted up with the sole intention of proving that she's a moron. The left wants to Quayle-ize her, and their efforts to do so won't be half-hearted.

But there is good news for Sarah Palin as the latter-day Howell Raineses and Clark Cliffords line up to smear her: She controls how the American people will come to view her much more than they do. There's a reason her excellent speech on Friday set off such a firestorm of rage and irrational hissy-fits on the left. Speaking directly to the American people, Palin cut an attractive and intelligent figure. Regardless of the left's anger, the American people will believe their own eyes rather than a frustrated blogger's or haughty anchorman's blustery "analysis."

Dean Barnett is a staff writer at THE WEEKLY STANDARD.I read the first sentence and instantly knew you were C&Ping.

Also, a Republican bleating about "smears" is ****ing hilarious. Thank you for sharing the hilarity.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 10:20 AM
I read the first sentence and instantly knew you were C&Ping.

So did the fella who started the thread.

ROFL

wazu
08-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Of course, she's the subject of a federal investigation now because she's fired her former brother-in-law (a public safety commissioner) during a custody dispute with her sister.

Wrong. Even your sources can't get their stories straight, or even bother to check Wikipedia. Her former brother-in-law is Mike Wooten, a state trooper who had been suspended for domestic violence issues.

But I'll help you out. Here is the so-called scandal I think you are trying to invoke:

"On July 11, 2008, Palin dismissed Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, saying that he had not adequately filled state trooper vacancies, and that he “did not turn out to be a team player on budgeting issues.”[53] She instead offered him a position as executive director of the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, which he turned down.[54][55]

Her power to fire him is not in dispute, but Monegan alleged that his dismissal was a retaliation for his reluctance to fire Palin’s former brother-in-law, Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten, who had been involved in a divorce and child custody battle with Palin’s sister, Molly McCann.[56] On July 28, 2008, a bipartisan committee of the Alaska Legislature voted 12-0 to hire an independent investigator to investigate Palin and her staff for possible abuse of power surrounding the dismissal.[57]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 10:29 AM
It didn't take you moonbats long to dump the "B.O. is running against Bush" talking point. I can't believe the amount of panic this VP pick has caused among the libtards.

Quick, start another thread on her! Try to get one that didn't come from Daily Kos, though.

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 10:31 AM
It didn't take you moonbats long to dump the "B.O. is running against Bush" talking point. I can't believe the amount of panic this VP pick has caused among the libtards.Fortunately, Obama and his campaign haven't deviated. She's a gimmick, and they're treating her as such. McCain is still target number one, as well he should be.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Fortunately, Obama and his campaign haven't deviated. She's a gimmick, and they're treating her as such. McCain is still target number one, as well he should be.

Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Florida...

Do you feel it slipping away?

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Florida...

Do you feel it slipping away?

ROFLObama needs two of those states. He's solid in two of them, one is a complete toss-up, and Florida is way closer than anyone would have expected it to be.

So no. Not when McCain's blown his load and resorted to trying a cheap pop in AUGUST.

ROFL

SBK
08-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Fortunately, Obama and his campaign haven't deviated. She's a gimmick, and they're treating her as such. McCain is still target number one, as well he should be.

LMAO

Bill Parcells
08-31-2008, 03:17 PM
I can't believe the amount of panic this VP pick has caused among the libtards.

Quick, start another thread on her! Try to get one that didn't come from Daily Kos, though.

ROFL