PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Bill Maher

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 01:09 PM
He must be reading the planet. He just dubbed the McCain/Palin ticket "the maverick and the MILF." Went so far as to describe the horrible experience of her dealing with a moose in someones trash can.

HolmeZz
08-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Real Time's one of my favorite shows.

wazu
08-31-2008, 03:57 PM
One thing that is for sure with this pick - lots of comedy potential.

jAZ
08-31-2008, 04:00 PM
I thought Michel Martin was outstanding on that episode.

She was by far the most thoughtful and on point person on that show. Not funny at all, but I think she's right on point.

She made the point that Dems underestimate Palin at their own peril, and that it's very difficult for a male candidate to debate a female candidate without coming across as a bully and losing by making even the slightest mistake.

SBK
08-31-2008, 04:06 PM

She was by far the most thoughtful and on point person on that show. Not funny at all, but I think she's right on point.

She made the point that Dems underestimate Palin at their own peril, and that it's very difficult for a male candidate to debate a female candidate without coming across as a bully and losing by making even the slightest mistake.

When she was nominated I thought of Biden's quote about bloodying people's noses. If he debates her in that style, even if she comes across as a total dunce, he loses.

wazu
08-31-2008, 04:10 PM
When she was nominated I thought of Biden's quote about bloodying people's noses. If he debates her in that style, even if she comes across as a total dunce, he loses.

I have a feeling she'll hold her own in debate regardless of whether or not Biden tries to break her nose.

HolmeZz
08-31-2008, 04:12 PM

Unless she says something really really stupid, I suspect Biden's not going to address her directly. He's going to focus his criticisms on McCain.

jAZ
08-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Unless she says something really really stupid, I suspect Biden's not going to address her directly. He's going to focus his criticisms on McCain.

He just needs to pretend like she's an innocent proxy and treat her with respect bordering on sympathy and crucify McCain.

wazu
08-31-2008, 04:31 PM
He just needs to pretend like she's an innocent proxy and treat her with respect bordering on sympathy and crucify McCain.

The real problems for the Democrats begin if it turns out that Palin is the one bloodying noses.

jAZ
08-31-2008, 04:59 PM
The real problems for the Democrats begin if it turns out that Palin is the one bloodying noses.
Just focus on McCain, because it's unwise (and unnecessary) to take her down. The impalance is unfair, but it exists. But there are honorable ways to deal with it.

Logical
08-31-2008, 07:07 PM

She made the point that Dems underestimate Palin at their own peril, and that it's very difficult for a male candidate to debate a female candidate without coming across as a bully and losing by making even the slightest mistake.Biden has been doing it in the Senate for 20+ years. I think he is practiced up.

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 07:11 PM

I disagree.

If she can be dominated by one of our guys that easy, just think how bad it will be against another's country politicians with an agenda.

BucEyedPea
08-31-2008, 07:22 PM
He must be reading the planet. He just dubbed the McCain/Palin ticket "the maverick and the MILF." Went so far as to describe the horrible experience of her dealing with a moose in someones trash can.

Gotta admit. That is pretty funny! ROFL

VAChief
08-31-2008, 07:36 PM

Ironic that we should worry about offending someone who could be the CINC of the most powerful country in the history of the world. Why should it matter that she is a woman?

Isn't the point of smashing the "glass ceiling" that the old stereotypes go out the window?

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Ironic that we should worry about offending someone who could be the CINC of the most powerful country in the history of the world. Why should it matter that she is a woman?

Isn't the point of smashing the "glass ceiling" that the old stereotypes go out the window?

If there's the one thing I hate about this election year is that phrase "glass ceiling" makes me want to find a ceiling made of glass and break it and then eat the shards

DaneMcCloud
08-31-2008, 10:45 PM

That was from Friday

blaise
08-31-2008, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't go with the Maverick and the MILF. If I was them I'd make my slogan, "May-December in November".

wazu
08-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Just focus on McCain, because it's unwise (and unnecessary) to take her down. The impalance is unfair, but it exists. But there are honorable ways to deal with it.

This is the smart route to take, no doubt. But Biden tends to march to his own drum. The human gaffe machine might make for some election highlights.

"It's nice to finally debate a woman who is clean and articulate!"

Logical
08-31-2008, 10:56 PM
The real problems for the Democrats begin if it turns out that Palin is the one bloodying noses.Anything is possible, but it is hard to imagine Biden getting his nose bloodied by an National Politics rookie.

wazu
08-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Anything is possible, but it is hard to imagine Biden getting his nose bloodied by an National Politics rookie.

That's what makes it so perfect. This debate will be hyped as Biden about to kick Palin's ass. She'll be painted as the naive girl from Alaska who is new on the national stage walking into the Lion's den. Maybe that will turn out to be the case, but from what we know of her so far, I am doubting it.

Logical
08-31-2008, 11:03 PM
That's what makes it so perfect. This debate will be hyped as Biden about to kick Palin's ass. She'll be painted as the naive girl from Alaska who is new on the national stage walking into the Lion's den. Maybe that will turn out to be the case, but from what we know of her so far, I am doubting it.I have heard speeches from her twice now and like Hamas I wonder if she is female version of George Bush. She does not come across as a bright woman like Elizabeth Dole or Hillary.

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 11:04 PM
That was from Friday

ok was this a repost

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-31-2008, 11:05 PM
That's what makes it so perfect. This debate will be hyped as Biden about to kick Palin's ass. She'll be painted as the naive girl from Alaska who is new on the national stage walking into the Lion's den. Maybe that will turn out to be the case, but from what we know of her so far, I am doubting it.

Adam's view of Palin can be summed up as:

http://www.safesense.com/media/ky-jelly-4.jpg

Messier
08-31-2008, 11:05 PM
This is the smart route to take, no doubt. But Biden tends to march to his own drum. The human gaffe machine might make for some election highlights.

"It's nice to finally debate a woman who is clean and articulate!"

He might make a misstep in the debates. It would be easy, and probably detrimental, to bully her and try to make her look foolish on foreign policy issues. The opposite tactic might be the best course of action.

DaneMcCloud
09-01-2008, 12:41 AM
ok was this a repost

I meant, the show was on Friday night

jAZ
09-01-2008, 12:50 AM

It's not about offending her, I'm sure she'd be ok with it. It's about offending women across American. And who know's how that will play out. The "PUMA" crowd is clearly voting vagina over policy so they are already offended by an Obama/Biden ticket. Their offense is already accounted for, long before the debates. Another crowd is voting policy positions and no "clean, well spoken" type gaff will matter at all to them. The question is how big is that middle ground of undecided female voters who might be lost to an emotional reaction to a potential supposed offense at a debate?

Hard to say, but that crowd is clearly not all (or maybe even many) women.

J Diddy
09-01-2008, 01:41 AM
It's not about offending her, I'm sure she'd be ok with it. It's about offending women across American. And who know's how that will play out. The "PUMA" crowd is clearly voting vagina over policy so they are already offended by an Obama/Biden ticket. Their offense is already accounted for, long before the debates. Another crowd is voting policy positions and no "clean, well spoken" type gaff will matter at all to them. The question is how big is that middle ground of undecided female voters who might be lost to an emotional reaction to a potential supposed offense at a debate?

Hard to say, but that crowd is clearly not all (or maybe even many) women.

Maybe hillary should run on the vagina ticket