PDA

View Full Version : Elections McCain to give RNC Acceptance Speech by satellite from expected Gustav disaster site?

jAZ
08-31-2008, 05:15 PM
I thought it would be wise for McCain and Obama to do a joint/non-political visit to the region. But if McCain pulls a stunt like this, he should be crucified mercilessly. To be fair to him, this hasn't happened.

But man, that it's even a consideration is insane.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/211899.php

08.31.08 -- 4:25PM // link | recommend (17)

GOP Convention Up In the Air
The details remains sketchy. But based on a press conference held moments ago by McCain campaign chairman Rick Davis, the Republicans are planning to cancel or radically scale back some or perhaps even all of this year's Republican convention. All that seems certain now is that the convention will be called to order tomorrow afternoon and stay in session for roughly two hours -- between 3 PM and 5 PM local time. They'll do some official business but eschew openly partisan activities.

From there forward it appears they'll wait to see just how protracted and bad the landfall in Louisiana is, and then go from there, deciding on a day by day basis how much of a convention to hold on that day.

Davis still left the question up in the air. But it appears that there is a good chance that McCain will give his acceptance speech not in person in Minnesota but rather by satellite link somewhere in the Gulf region.

--Josh Marshall

NewChief
08-31-2008, 05:17 PM
They can't possibly be that tone deaf.

Cannibal
08-31-2008, 05:20 PM
We all know how bad the Republicans f()cked the last one up. Lets hope that people see through this for what it is, political opportunism of the highest magnitude.

SBK
08-31-2008, 05:22 PM
We all know how bad the Republicans f()cked the last one up. Lets hope that people see through this for what it is, political opportunism of the highest magnitude.

None of the (D's) that run N.O. had anything to do with it. Bush and Bush alone are in total fault for what happened.

Everyone screwed up last time, starting with the local authorities all the way up to FEMA. Hopefully they get it right this time and the idiots who waited Katrina out have decided to head inland.

alnorth
08-31-2008, 05:23 PM
I thought it would be wise for McCain and Obama to do a joint/non-political visit to the region. But if McCain pulls a stunt like this, he should be crucified mercilessly. To be fair to him, this hasn't happened.

You have got to be kidding me. Obama had his convention completely unimpeded, and McCain is giving his official freaking acceptance speech. By rights, this is to be his night. We are only talking about toning it down and making N.O. more of the focus rather than politics.

NO ONE is going to expect, or criticize for not having, a session where they hold hands together in harmony.

jAZ
08-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Hopefully they get it right this time and the idiots who waited Katrina out have decided to head inland.
Sure, but if McCain trys to make a political stage out of Hurricane Gustav, I think even you should be ripping him a new a-hole.

jAZ
08-31-2008, 05:24 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Obama had his convention completely unimpeded, and McCain is giving his official freaking acceptance speech. By rights, this is to be his night. We are only talking about toning it down and making N.O. more of the focus rather than politics.

NO ONE is going to expect, or criticize for not having, a session where they hold hands together in harmony.

Tell me why he can't hold his acceptance speech on the stage in MN?

alnorth
08-31-2008, 05:27 PM

If the levees hold and this turns out to be no big deal, he very well might. If the city floods in a total catastrophe, this is politically impossible. He is not going to be criticized AT ALL for speaking from near N.O. Any political benefit (probably none, we are talking about avoiding a celebration) that may come would be incidental.

Cannibal

Because he wants to act like he's on the ball and can handle disaster scenes and that he cares about the people of NO. When we all know the Right Wing Party wants those people to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and could give shit less what happens.

SBK
Sure, but if McCain trys to make a political stage out of Hurricane Gustav, I think even you should be ripping him a new a-hole.

Unless he made his speech to be a call to help the people affected he'd be making a HUGE blunder.

Personally I think he'll be in Minnesota right when he was already scheduled to be. The people will be out of N.O. and even though it will be flooded there will be nothing like Katrina going on.

wazu
08-31-2008, 05:29 PM
This sounds like a disaster. (And I'm not referring to Gustav.) I'm hoping the GOP political gurus are cooking up something that will surprise the hell out of me and somehow make lemonade out of lemons. McCain needs this convention bad if he's going to have a shot.

wazu
08-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Redstate.com makes it sound a little different...

http://www.redstate.com/

BREAKING: GOP Suspends Convention Activities

Hurricane Gustav Forces Changes to Schedule

Posted by: Mark Impomeni

Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 03:36PM

GOP Officials just held a press conference here in St. Paul, Minnesota, to announce changes to the convention schedule in advance of Hurricane Gustav making landfall somewhere along the Gulf Coast. Sen. McCain has directed that all convention activities outside of necessary business be suspended until further notice.

RNC Chairman Mike Duncan said that the convention must meet tomorrow to constitute itself. But he said that the program will be restricted to gavelling the convention open, receiving the report of the Credentials Committee, establishing a quorum on the floor, electing officers, and adopting the rules of the convention. The session will then be adjourned with no further activity. All of the speakers set to address the convention tomorrow, including President Bush, Vice-President Cheney, and First Lady Laura Bush, have ben canceled.

McCain Campaign Manager Rick Davis said that there will be no "political rhetoric" as a part of tomorrow's program, and that the campaign was heeding Sen. McCain's call to "take off our Republican hats, and put on our American hats." Asked about the possibility that Sen. McCain may not appear to accept the nomination at all, depending on the cours eof the storm, Davis would not speculate.

"The only thing I can tell you for sure is that there will be no activities besiden necessary business tomorrow. We will make a decision about Tuesday's program then."

jAZ
08-31-2008, 05:46 PM

That didn't say anything about Thursday. Just Monday.

Politico says the same thing as TPM, speaking directly about the acceptance speech from the Gulf. In fact the wording sounds even worse.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/13013.html

McCain was scheduled to deliver his acceptance speech Thursday, but now may do so from the devastation zone if the storm hits the U.S. coast with the ferocity feared by forecasters.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 05:48 PM
those people

Welfare trash?

Cave Johnson
08-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Welfare trash?

Stay classy.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Stay classy.

Chocolate City. Hollah!

BigChiefFan
08-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Can you say earphone? McCain won't have the pressure of the national stage and will have the exact speech fed through his earpiece.

Captain Obvious
08-31-2008, 06:00 PM
After he is done with the speech, will he have cake with W. on Trent Lott's front porch?

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
After he is done with the speech, will he have cake with W. on Trent Lott's front porch?

Gosh, I hope so.

beer bacon
08-31-2008, 06:25 PM

BREAKING: GOP Suspends Convention Activities

Hurricane Gustav Forces Changes to Schedule

Posted by: Mark Impomeni

Sunday, August 31, 2008 at 03:36PM

GOP Officials just held a press conference here in St. Paul, Minnesota, to announce changes to the convention schedule in advance of Hurricane Gustav making landfall somewhere along the Gulf Coast. Sen. McCain has directed that all convention activities outside of necessary business be suspended until further notice.

RNC Chairman Mike Duncan said that the convention must meet tomorrow to constitute itself. But he said that the program will be restricted to gavelling the convention open, receiving the report of the Credentials Committee, establishing a quorum on the floor, electing officers, and adopting the rules of the convention. The session will then be adjourned with no further activity. All of the speakers set to address the convention tomorrow, including President Bush, Vice-President Cheney, and First Lady Laura Bush, have ben canceled.

McCain Campaign Manager Rick Davis said that there will be no "political rhetoric" as a part of tomorrow's program, and that the campaign was heeding Sen. McCain's call to "take off our Republican hats, and put on our American hats." Asked about the possibility that Sen. McCain may not appear to accept the nomination at all, depending on the cours eof the storm, Davis would not speculate.

"The only thing I can tell you for sure is that there will be no activities besiden necessary business tomorrow. We will make a decision about Tuesday's program then."

Some quotes from a Politico article on this topic:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/13025.html

“You don’t wish for it, but it shows McCain dealing with a surprise — a big event that has consequences on people,” a convention planner said. “It’s redemption for the Republican Party on the competence issue. The convention ends up being about John McCain showing the best way to serve a cause greater than yourself.”

The positive byproducts: No photos of Bush at the convention; an even lower Cheney profile; a chance for an unusual, dramatic charitable move at the convention that cuts against stereotypes about GOP; and the storyline becomes Gustav drama, not McCain vs. the GOP, or abortion or any other divisive issue.

Republican officials said the images from here will present a positive contrast with the celebratory Democratic convention last week in Denver. The storm could paralyze Democratic efforts to hit McCain on several fronts.

“The contrast between McCain’s responsibility and the fanatical followers in the temple of the Lord Obama won’t be lost on everyday husbands and wives trying to meet their own responsibilities,” a Republican official said.

---------------------------------------

It is clear that at least some Republican insiders DO see Gustav as the perfect opportunity to score some political points. This is why I posted earlier that I wished Katrina had happened during an election year. We would have seen many more politicians getting involved in helping Katrina if they thought they might win an election because of it.

Anyways, if McCain does follow through and do his acceptance speech from the areas damaged by Gustav, he will look like a grandstanding ass. His simple presence down there pulls government resources away from meaningful assistance they could provide, and instead focuses those resources on McCain. McCain doing his entire speech in the ravaged areas as a means of highlighting how he puts "country first" while Obama didn't have a hurrican occur doing the DNC would be deplorable.

ChiefaRoo
08-31-2008, 07:55 PM

The 'Republicans' didn't f*ck anything up by themselves. The failure was at the City, State and Federal level. Louisiana was at the time run at the City and State level by Democrats. Ray Nagin was over his head and Gov. Kathleen Blanco was a total fool and incompetent to the point where she was voted out of office. If you want to hang the rest on Bush then go ahead but you might want to see how the Governments in Mississippi and Alabama handled the storm. Their Govt's actually worked.

ChiefaRoo
08-31-2008, 07:56 PM

Lott's house was destroyed by Katrina. Why don't you think before you write?

Logical
08-31-2008, 08:12 PM
If this is true it is a real abuse of other peoples misfortune for his own benefit. That would just be sad.

It is already laughable that the RNC did not have the guts to admit that they did not want Bush or Cheney speaking and are using Gustav as an excuse to drop them.

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Lott's house was destroyed by Katrina. Why don't you think before you write?

so he's been homeless this whole time?

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 08:14 PM
If this is true it is a real abuse of other peoples misfortune for his own benefit. That would just be sad.

It is already laughable that the RNC did not have the guts to admit that they did not want Bush or Cheney speaking and are using Gustav as an excuse to drop them.

If this happens and anybody votes for these two clowns I would have to think that is despicable. first the female vice and then using a tragedy as a backdrop, that's horrible

beer bacon
08-31-2008, 08:18 PM
I wonder if McCain will take this opportunity to highlight how he consistently voted against Katrina relief and how sorry he is about that.

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
I wonder if McCain will take this opportunity to highlight how he consistently voted against Katrina relief and how sorry he is about that.

I'm ready for him to start having no recollection of the last 8 years

VAChief
08-31-2008, 08:23 PM

Well at least it didn't spoil his birthday party.

ROYC75
08-31-2008, 08:26 PM
McCains camp can do no right with this hurricane coming in, the dems will use it against him anyway they can. He should just them for permission to speak first ?

Now if Obama goes anywhere near the hurricane scene, it will be because he cares .......

Some of you dems are just as stupid as Michael Moores comments today, Laughing at the expense of the projected hurricane victims by stating, “I was just thinking, this Gustav is proof that there is a God in heaven,” Moore said, laughing. “To have it planned at the same time – that it would actually be on its way to New Orleans for day one of the Republican Convention, up in the Twin Cities – at the top of the Mississippi River.”

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080830000004.aspx

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 08:28 PM

Well at least it didn't spoil his birthday party.

Man, that cake looks good.

irishjayhawk
McCains camp can do no right with this hurricane coming in, the dems will use it against him anyway they can. He should just them for permission to speak first ?

Now if Obama goes anywhere near the hurricane scene, it will be because he cares .......

Some of you dems are just as stupid as Michael Moores comments today, Laughing at the expense of the projected hurricane victims by stating, “I was just thinking, this Gustav is proof that there is a God in heaven,” Moore said, laughing. “To have it planned at the same time – that it would actually be on its way to New Orleans for day one of the Republican Convention, up in the Twin Cities – at the top of the Mississippi River.”

Funny. Once again you claim not to be partisan, but here partisanship GLOWS.

More to the point, it is interesting that they are in a lose-lose situation. I don't recall you saying that about Obama and visiting the troops in Germany.

beer bacon

I am still waiting ol'objective Roy to post some negative threads about the GOP. http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080830000004.aspx

I am still waiting ol'objective Roy to post some negative threads about the GOP.

Messier
08-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Man, that cake looks good.

It's FEMArrific!

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 08:33 PM
It's FEMArrific!

Air ball.

:rolleyes:

memyselfI
08-31-2008, 08:37 PM
I think this depends on the extent of the damage and how bad the storrm ends up being. We have to remember that LA has a CON for a governor and they could arrange something via satellite and it could be done quite tastefully.

Now, if McCain tried to do something NObamesque in the hurricane affected areas THEN it might be a problem but if he does something low key with the LA gov. then I think they could pull it off.

Of course the Dems will cry foul but will welcome NObama arriving their to 'help' when and if he decides to go.

beer bacon
08-31-2008, 08:38 PM
I think this depends on the extent of the damage and how bad the storrm ends up being. We have to remember that LA has a CON for a governor and they could arrange something via satellite and it could be done quite tastefully.

Now, if McCain tried to do something NObamesque in the hurricane affected areas THEN it might be a problem but if he does something low key with the LA gov. then I think they could pull it off.

Of course the Dems will cry foul but will welcome NObama arriving their to 'help' when and if he decides to go.

Please shut the **** up.

Mr. Laz
08-31-2008, 08:40 PM
tbh i think the GOP is happy to have the focus off of McSame and his speech.

if they could skip it all together they prolly would

his speeches generally suck and the republicans do much better flinging dirt than they do actually speaking on topics.

Messier
08-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Air ball.

Awwww.

Messier
08-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Air ball.

But you get it right? Because of the whole FEMA thing? Right? You know Bush botched that whole deal? I mean he screwed those people over. You got that right?

splatbass
08-31-2008, 09:17 PM

I'm not defending Moore here, I think it is bad to make fun of a possible tragedy, but the whole thing with Focus on the Family asking Republicans to pray for rain during Obama's speech last week does kind of leave them open to this kind of thing.

BucEyedPea
08-31-2008, 09:18 PM
But you get it right? Because of the whole FEMA thing? Right? You know Bush botched that whole deal? I mean he screwed those people over. You got that right?

Look, there was blame to go around and Bush had some of his but it was mainly a local problem.

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 09:20 PM
It's probably already been said, as I haven't yet read the thread but....let me be next in predicting a huge outcry from the left:

"What a politically motivated stunt!!!"

:cuss:

EDIT: As I read the thread.....ta-da.....post #3.

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Given the opportunity, Obama would be considering the same.

Period. :rolleyes:

Messier
Look, there was blame to go around and Bush had some of his but it was mainly a local problem.

You're right. I just can't excuse Bush from his error.

irishjayhawk
It's probably already been said, as I haven't yet read the thread but....let me be next in predicting a huge outcry from the left:

"What a politically motivated stunt!!!"

EDIT: As I read the thread.....ta-da.....post #3.

Is there reason to believe it isn't?

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 09:24 PM

Because assholes like you would whine about him being insensitive/out-of-touch/lacking in real compassion....if he would, heaven forbid, "keep his schedule" at a time like this!

Remember the left's crucifixion of W after Katrina?

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Is there reason to believe it isn't?

Give me a friggin' break....the dude will be damned if he does, and damned if he don't.

Please. This is a no-win situation for him, from a moonbat perspective anyway. :rolleyes:

FTR, remember....I'm supporting Obama.

irishjayhawk
08-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Give me a friggin' break....the dude will be damned if he does, and damned if he don't.

Please. This is a no-win situation for him, from a moonbat perspective anyway. :rolleyes:

FTR, remember....I'm supporting Obama.

I know. I agree with you. Unfortunately, the same was not shown for Obama with respect to visiting the troops.

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
You're right. I just can't excuse Bush from his error.

The City of New Orleans.....and the State of Lousiana's errors were much, much more egregious.

irishjayhawk
08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
You don't agree with my take, Kotter?

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
You don't agree with my take, Kotter?

I agree with you; but I wasn't among those who dissed Obama when he went to see the troops.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It's this kinda shit and the Palin slander that makes me think my vacation from DC wasn't long enough.

The folks who defended Obama's visit, are now a bunch of fuggin' hypocrites IMHO.

Holy shit, this place is a cesspool at times. :shake:

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Air ball.

I agree

(reaching across the aisles this ONCE)

Guru
08-31-2008, 09:40 PM
BS. If Obama had been in the same boat do you honestly believe he wouldn't use it to his advantage? Of course, then you would be saying what a ****ing savior he is. STFU

I've said it before and will say it again. All politicians are rats. They ALL will take ANY advantage they can get.

Get over it.

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree with you; but I wasn't among those who dissed Obama when he went to see the troops.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It's this kinda shit and the Palin slander that makes me think my vacation from DC wasn't long enough.

Holy shit, this place is a cesspool at times. :shake:

dude palins hot, the chicks probably talk about the guy presidents all the time geez

J Diddy
08-31-2008, 09:43 PM
BS. If Obama had been in the same boat do you honestly believe he wouldn't use it to his advantage? Of course, then you would be saying what a ****ing savior he is. STFU

I've said it before and will say it again. All politicians are rats. They ALL will take ANY advantage they can get.

Get over it.

I agree with everything you said guru

sounds to me that you're bitter you didn't get any glass ceilings shattered

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 09:45 PM

Get over it.

EXACTLY. :clap:

Guru
08-31-2008, 09:47 PM
I agree with everything you said guru

sounds to me that you're bitter you didn't get any glass ceilings shattered
I'm bitter at the whole damn process. All this "my candidate is better than yours, and here's why" crap. They all take every damn advantage they can get. They may have different policies but they will do the same shit to achieve the same ends. They will LIE. They will USE. They will take advantage of a situation. PERIOD

Everything they have done, both candidates, was calculated. To say Obama wouldn't do the same thing McCain is probably going to do is laughable.

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah guys, McCain would never <strike>Palin</strike> <strike>Falwell</strike> pander.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 10:20 PM

Oh no doubt. The MSM will find a great, big, fat black woman with an oxygen tank and juxtapose her image with images of McCain and Co. yucking it up at the convention.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 10:22 PM
I've said it before and will say it again. All politicians are rats.

So what should we all do? Give up?

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Oh no doubt. The MSM will find a great, big, fat black woman with an oxygen tank and juxtapose her image with images of McCain and Co. yucking it up at the convention.You are really obsessed with race.

beer bacon
08-31-2008, 10:25 PM
You are really obsessed with race.

Most people don't know this, but shiteater is a strong advocate of black people paying white people reparations.

***SPRAYER
08-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Most people don't know this, but shiteater is a strong advocate of black people paying white people reparations.

I think it's high time they paid us back.

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah guys, McCain would never <strike>Palin</strike> <strike>Falwell</strike> pander.

You are really obsessed with race.

I understand being excited about Obama. I understand your enthusiasm. I really do. But if you wanna lower yourself to the standard of jAZ and jettio, that's really a loss for this place IMHO.

Your retarded friend, Mr. Kotter

:shake:

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 10:39 PM
I understand being excited about Obama. I understand your enthusiasm. I really do. But if you wanna lower yourself to the standard of jAZ and jettio, that's really a loss for this place IMHO.

Your retarded friend, Mr. Kotter

:shake:Oh no, I needled shitsprayer. I AM AN IDEOLOGUE!!!!!!!

VAChief
08-31-2008, 10:43 PM
I think it's high time they paid us back.

Then maybe you won't have to "live in a van down by the river."

Mr. Kotter
08-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh no, I needled shitsprayer. I AM AN IDEOLOGUE!!!!!!!

Needling shitsprayer is the least of your problems; not thinking for yourself because you.....admire and want to believe that the image of the politician you are supporting is actually "true."

FWIW, I've been there (1992 campaign for Slick Willie).....and I'm on your "side" this time (consider Obama the better choice in November of this year.)

It just creeps me out to see you oggling and salivating over Obama like you are......without your trademark critical thinking and sensibility...about this election.

I'm just sayin'. But I'm just a retard. Carry-on. ;)

Ultra Peanut
08-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Needling shitsprayer is the least of your problems; not thinking for yourself because you.....admire and want to believe that the image of the politician you are supporting is actually "true."

FWIW, I've been there (1992 campaign for Slick Willie).....and I'm on your "side" this time (consider Obama the better choice in November of this year.)

It just creeps me out to see you oggling and salivating over Obama like you are......without your trademark critical thinking and sensibility...about this election.

I'm just sayin'. But I'm just a retard. Carry-on. ;)South Park-style "THEY'RE BOTH EQUALLY BAD!!!" reasoning is about as far from critical thinking as you can get. Obama has flaws. For instance, he's not as firm on gay marriage as I'd like, though I'm totally willing to admit that his pro-civil unions position is much more electable; likewise, he's not quite as supportive of nuclear energy as McCain (the flip side to that is that McCain is unrealistically huge on nuclear energy). Obama flipped on FISA, and that really sucked. But he's a far more consistent, agreeable, and outright solid candidate than anyone else, and his pragmatism is the real breath of fresh air. If you think I'm ogling the best presidential candidate we've had in at least a generation, so be it.

McCain, meanwhile, has turned into a caricature. The shameless run to the right a few years ago, the desperate smear campaigns over the summer, and now the pathetic pick of Palin in order to try to win over a tiny, tiny fraction of Hillary supporters? It's sad, and hilarious, and sad, and hilarious.

Stinger
09-01-2008, 12:10 AM

You mean like Oboma did on the Floor of the DNC?

jAZ
09-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Given the opportunity, Obama would be considering the same.

Period. :rolleyes:

Kick ass.

Just make shit up and then blame Obama for it!

Whee!

J Diddy
09-01-2008, 01:07 AM

pretty big difference imo

Guru
09-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Kick ass.

Just make shit up and then blame Obama for it!

Whee!
Christ you are so ****ing dense!

***SPRAYER
09-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Oh no, I needled shitsprayer. I AM AN IDEOLOGUE!!!!!!!

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/us/news/editorial/8/25/8259fe4229cdc81f8b573d1e9ff8cf05.png

***SPRAYER
09-01-2008, 10:17 AM

ROFL

jAZ
09-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Christ you are so ****ing dense!

Calling you out for making crap up makes me dense?

Mr. Kotter
09-01-2008, 11:23 AM

"Two more weeks!!!"

No, you're dense because you and your butthole blogger friends are constantly making shit up:

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=1E7529F2-18FE-70B2-A86B7100BE7DCA99

McCain expected to accept nod in person
By: Mike Allen
September 1, 2008 12:03 PM EST

Buoyed by a surprise sweep through the Twin Cities by first lady Laura Bush, Republican National Convention planners were optimistic getting their festivities back on track Monday after New Orleans was spared the brunt of Hurricane Gustav.

The first lady and Cindy McCain, wife of John McCain, planned to make cameos at the businesslike opening convention session planned for this afternoon.

Convention planners said for the first time that they expect McCain to accept the nomination in person, in St. Paul. They had considered a remote appearance from the Gulf coast.

The convention is expected to run the full four scheduled days, officials said.

Cindy McCain will address the delegates in what campaign manager Rick Davis calls “a low-key manner” to help organize support for the Gulf states. The first lady will make brief remarks and introduce a video. The primetime session remains canceled.

In keeping with the somber news, the session will feature no music, organizers said.

As part of Republicans’ effort to use the bad break to show leadership and compassion, convention planners announced that on Wednesday morning, they will open a two-day operation at the Minneapolis Convention Center to assemble comfort packages and snack bags for shipment to the Gulf region by a partner in the project, FedEx.

Delegations were not being asked to cancel events, but were urged to make them “appropriate” and to use them to sign up volunteers for the comfort package work on Wednesday and Thursday.

A visit by Vice President Cheney was scratched, as was a primetime appearance by President Bush, who flew to Texas to check storm preparations instead.

The first lady did a series of network morning show interviews, then visited the Texas and Louisiana delegations. In remarks to Bayou State delegates, she called McCain "a true American hero." Speaking after Cindy McCain, the first lady listed the Arizonan's recent work in Africa.

"This is what Cindy McCain has done in the past four or five months, while she campaigned for her husband," Bush said. "You can imagine what she'd do in four years as first lady."

About John McCain's new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the first lady said: "I'm so happy because I'm actually going to have a chance to vote for a Republican woman this time."

About Palin's service as mayor, the first lady said: "When you're mayor, your constituents are next door. You don't get out of touch, like they always act like the president is, although .... President Bush isn't."

© 2008 Capitol News Company, LLC

jAZ
09-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Fixed the location of your formatting.
No, you're dense because you and your butthole blogger friends are constantly making shit up:

Buoyed by a surprise sweep through the Twin Cities by first lady Laura Bush, Republican National Convention planners were optimistic getting their festivities back on track Monday after New Orleans was spared the brunt of Hurricane Gustav.

The first lady and Cindy McCain, wife of John McCain, planned to make cameos at the businesslike opening convention session planned for this afternoon.

Convention planners said for the first time that they expect McCain to accept the nomination in person, in St. Paul. They had considered a remote appearance from the Gulf coast.
ROFL

J Diddy
09-01-2008, 11:47 AM
"Two more weeks!!!"

The convention is expected to run the full four scheduled days, officials said.

Cindy McCain will address the delegates in what campaign manager Rick Davis calls “a low-key manner” to help organize support for the Gulf states. The first lady will make brief remarks and introduce a video. The primetime session remains canceled.

In keeping with the somber news, the session will feature no music, organizers said.

As part of Republicans’ effort to use the bad break to show leadership and compassion, convention planners announced that on Wednesday morning, they will open a two-day operation at the Minneapolis Convention Center to assemble comfort packages and snack bags for shipment to the Gulf region by a partner in the project, FedEx.

Delegations were not being asked to cancel events, but were urged to make them “appropriate” and to use them to sign up volunteers for the comfort package work on Wednesday and Thursday.

A visit by Vice President Cheney was scratched, as was a primetime appearance by President Bush, who flew to Texas to check storm preparations instead.

The first lady did a series of network morning show interviews, then visited the Texas and Louisiana delegations. In remarks to Bayou State delegates, she called McCain "a true American hero." Speaking after Cindy McCain, the first lady listed the Arizonan's recent work in Africa.

"This is what Cindy McCain has done in the past four or five months, while she campaigned for her husband," Bush said. "You can imagine what she'd do in four years as first lady."

About John McCain's new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the first lady said: "I'm so happy because I'm actually going to have a chance to vote for a Republican woman this time."

About Palin's service as mayor, the first lady said: "When you're mayor, your constituents are next door. You don't get out of touch, like they always act like the president is, although .... President Bush isn't."

© 2008 Capitol News Company, LLC

ROFL

why do I see her throwing that piece out at the last minute as she realized her mistake

Mr. Kotter
09-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah....."considered" is the same as the idiotic speculation of your butt-buddy Marshall:

there is a good chance that McCain will give his acceptance speech not in person in Minnesota but rather by satellite link somewhere in the Gulf region.

Guru
09-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Where did I personally make anything up. You are becoming more worthless here by the second.

jAZ
09-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah....."considered" is the same as the idiotic speculation of your butt-buddy Marshall:

there is a good chance that McCain will give his acceptance speech not in person in Minnesota but rather by satellite link somewhere in the Gulf region.
ROFL