PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Time Warner Cable, who has it? *RANT/HELP*

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 05:37 PM
What package do you have? We have the double play digital bs shit...

200 channels and HD...RANT TIME....

Well we've had it for just over a month and let me tell you, they suck! Our Internet has gone down twice this month, and our HD Service is spotty at best. I have HD channels like ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS go out here and there. Where it starts to pixel and shit, like when you have satelite and it storms and it starts ****ing up? Just like that and it will stay out for about 10-15 min maybe more. Also FOOD HD does not work at all... We have had techs come out 6 times now in august since we moved to a new townhome. wtf should we do? I called them saturday and talked to someone explaining my frustrations in a polite way for about 2 hrs(probably an hour of WAITING on the line). They brought a tech out today and it was the same dude that basically mumbled to himself etc...and did basically nothing the last time. Saying its probably a software thing, and called them and they recommended getting a new box. Funny, how both boxes up and downstairs have the same channels go out at the same time...i doubt its the box.

I've gradually gotten better service out here, at first our digital channels looked like shit and the hd was out all the time. They replaced a wire at the main box in the neighborhood. Then a guy rotated wires in the house that he said were done wrong the first time(by a timewarner guy) etc. I don't know wtf to do....i am not paying full price for shit and the lady that dealt with me sat. night said she'd call me at 2 today to check how things went, well no call from her. I supposedly got a credit saturday for my bad month of service.

Our internet has been on for the most part but has had issues twice where it goes out by itself for no reason. Before i hear "maybe they had an outage?!" it wasn't, cause our neighbors have the same cable in the townhome connected to us and theirs was working fine and so is their cable. It seems the first few techs that came out gradually made it better, but the service is stil shotty on the HD channels. Regular channels are fine and working all the time....

Should i call them 1 last ****ing time and be a total asshole, since their tech's that come out have no clue wtf the deal is? and say i want a discounted rate for something im getting half assed?

I would go with Dish Network, but they couldn't install it in the back yard for some stupid reason and had to put it on the house, which the builder said we couldn't. They couldn't put it in the front yard either apparently...we had dish at the old apt and loved it! We also had TWC cable internet and it went down maybe 2 or 3 times when it was an outage all year long. So far in a month we've had cable internet out 5 times total and shitty HD service.

What other reasons could it not work correctly? The guy said i had great signals on the lines in the house etc....

Any ideas or suggestions on what i should do?!

I'm just super frustrated because that has been the only problem in our new place...

ChiefsCountry
09-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I think its the same with all cable. I have Mediacom here in Springfield and it blows as well, and I have had lot of the same trouble you have had.

KCUnited
09-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I have them and absolutely hate their ass. The last problem I had with them was a few weeks ago when my modem kept restarting itself, I couldn't even get my home page to open up before the modem would restart itself. I called TW they said the modem was ****ed and would had to send a tech, but couldn't get one out for exactly 1 week.

My movies on demand has never worked, it will let me purchase the movie, but won't let me access it. They changed the box 3 different times and it still doesn't work, I have to go to a program channel and let my signal build way up then hurry my ass off back to the movie on demand channel to see if the movie will access. The last time I called their 800 customer service number, it was busy. Their 800 number was busy.

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, they ****ing blow, im pretty tired of it...

I know they have a local KC #, but you have to wait 15-20 min on it most of the time and the only way to access a real person is pushing the BILLING option on it.... It shouldn't be this bad, where you have to troubleshoot yourself and the people that come don't seem to be professionals...

Atleast 1 tech that came knew what he was doing and it worked for a bit, but who knows...all i know is something's gotta give...where i speak to a higher authority and threaten lives at the local TWC store they told me to go to, to get 2 new boxes. Since the dude didn't have any on him (yeah wtf?) Anyone one else that can give me advice or suggestions?

irishjayhawk
09-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Cable Companies are just like Cell companies. They're never meant to please.

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I can see why they are the home of "Free" HD...it doesn't work properly...supposedly the tech said they are working out bugs on it and it should be normaly by January....he has no ****ing clue though cause he said FOOD HD isn' supposed to work yet...wtf ever the lady on the phone said yes it is and thts why its on the program guide(which royally sucks too)

I need to find a way to get Dish back and get Turbo HD if this isn't taken care of soon

KCChiefsMan
09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
just be thankful you don't have to have sunflower. I had Cox and Comcast and both were far superior to the POS cable company that runs lawrence

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
just be thankful you don't have to have sunflower. I had Cox and Comcast and both were far superior to the POS cable company that runs lawrence

Man, it sounds like im 1 of millions out there that put up with stupid BS...my parents used to have comcast and their service was always steady, i would love to have that now....i can't believe how long the call wait times are though for TWC, ridiculous......

I guess everyone has Dish and Yahoo DSL for their tv/net needs?

irishjayhawk
09-02-2008, 10:00 PM

QFT

Worst company on the face of the earth.

TopJet2
09-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Man, it sounds like im 1 of millions out there that put up with stupid BS...my parents used to have comcast and their service was always steady, i would love to have that now....i can't believe how long the call wait times are though for TWC, ridiculous......

I guess everyone has Dish and Yahoo DSL for their tv/net needs?

well its hard to say whats going on with your service im not there, I am a cable tech and it pisses me off when I hear stories like this because it makes all techs and cable companies look like crap. If your internet hd and digital are all having problems it has to be a signal issue. Duh on most cable modems type in 192.168.100.1 in your browser and it should pull up your modems internal page and in most cases tell you what your signals are. Now a -10 db on the downstream is as low as you want to go, Im fairly sure these numbers are consistent to most cable companies, your transmit should be less than 50 and your snr should be above35. If your seeing numbers worse than these especially the -10 you most likely are getting just as bad if not worse signal on the other outlets. Next thing is if you are getting good signal strength it doesnt mean good signal quality and you really cant check that one yourself. If this tiling issue is intermittent then it could be something as simple as a loose connecter. Dont let the dumba$$ tech win make them do their jobs right

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
well its hard to say whats going on with your service im not there, I am a cable tech and it pisses me off when I hear stories like this because it makes all techs and cable companies look like crap. If your internet hd and digital are all having problems it has to be a signal issue. Duh on most cable modems type in 192.168.100.1 in your browser and it should pull up your modems internal page and in most cases tell you what your signals are. Now a -10 db on the downstream is as low as you want to go, Im fairly sure these numbers are consistent to most cable companies, your transmit should be less than 50 and your snr should be above35. If your seeing numbers worse than these especially the -10 you most likely are getting just as bad if not worse signal on the other outlets. Next thing is if you are getting good signal strength it doesnt mean good signal quality and you really cant check that one yourself. If this tiling issue is intermittent then it could be something as simple as a loose connecter. Dont let the dumba$$ tech win make them do their jobs right

My signal is strong...it was going -47 to -39 at the lowest..the highest ive seen it go is -51...

I've had only 1 good tech come out here and do his job...unfortunately later it messed up....he fixed the problem for about 2 weeks and then it messed up again... This is very frustrating to say the least, i was really hoping a competent guy would come out here. I'll likely have to make 1 more call and demand something or have the cost of service reduced.../switch(whcih would be a pain in the ass too) Suggestions? I know the main cable line is through the garage and its split to 3 wires for the house...via splitter which is for all 3 cable outlets inside. When we got to the place the wires were dangling out of the wall and the orig. cable guy cut the wires himself and put the connecters on. Inside was already setup...the place is new and there is construction around...(the cable guy said that might be an excuse) i dont get it...

I just dont get how it can be dead completely for a bit but the digital cable still works and hte hd is still shotty, just no internet. Shouldn't digital cable/hd be near perfect? Honestly the HD part has been the consistent problem....the regular digital channels work perfect.

irishjayhawk
09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
My signal is strong...it was going -47 to -39 at the lowest..the highest ive seen it go is -51...

I've had only 1 good tech come out here and do his job...unfortunately later it messed up....he fixed the problem for about 2 weeks and then it messed up again... This is very frustrating to say the least, i was really hoping a competent guy would come out here. I'll likely have to make 1 more call and demand something or have the cost of service reduced.../switch(whcih would be a pain in the ass too) Suggestions? I know the main cable line is through the garage and its split to 3 wires for the house...via splitter...

I just dont get how it can be dead completely for a bit but the digital cable still works and hte hd is still shotty, just no internet. Shouldn't digital cable/hd be near perfect? Honestly the HD part has been the consistent problem....the regular digital channels work perfect.

I think I know the cause of the internet outages.

It happens at my parents house a lot. And I dealt with them for years until I noticed something. See if when it goes out has anything to do with your AC turning on.

I noticed that when the AC turned on (and the lights flickered) it would sometimes go out.

Do you think this is possibly what happens with yours?

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I think I know the cause of the internet outages.

It happens at my parents house a lot. And I dealt with them for years until I noticed something. See if when it goes out has anything to do with your AC turning on.

I noticed that when the AC turned on (and the lights flickered) it would sometimes go out.

Do you think this is possibly what happens with yours?

I really don't know cause our A/C comes on alot during the time we are home in the evening, we have it set to 75 in the day and about 72 at night...and its on quite a bit. The lights don't flicker and it's a brand new air conditioner and system... It's just strange cause its real random, and there are zero signals from the cable lines, i tried all 3 ports in the house and nothing...

I just hope it wasnt the company that made the house with bad wiring? But everything was made top notch and has worked fine...Strange if that would happen, but i expect professionals to find the problem and why. I thought getting a new wire on the outside box would've worked but it didn't do it fully. The internet can randomly go out sometimes if thats the worst i have to deal with, since its been the least of my problems....i just want my damn HD channels to stay ON

TopJet2
09-02-2008, 10:26 PM
the negative 47, 39, and 51 are on the upstream? if so somethings way out of wack typicaly the upstream is very steady. Also what was the downsteam signal? high def is a little more fragile than plain digital signal. do you have a motorola hd box? sometimes problem is in how many errors the box is receiving on the hd channels if its too high then the box can not compensate.

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Hey Jet....have you heard the term "Switch Digital"? The tech kept saying thats why my channels arent perfect in HD and they randomly go out....he also said it could be a software thing, where they may have to "re-build" my account from the start and maybe my food hd will show up....i dont know if thats a huge load of bs or what...

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
the negative 47, 39, and 51 are on the upstream? if so somethings way out of wack typicaly the upstream is very steady. Also what was the downsteam signal? high def is a little more fragile than plain digital signal. do you have a motorola hd box? sometimes problem is in how many errors the box is receiving on the hd channels if its too high then the box can not compensate.

Ok, maybe my #'s were off i was jus going off the thing on my network card on my lappy....the actual site says after i log in....

Cable Upstream 39.0 dbmV

Downstream says
Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.2 dB

The cable boxes are 1 dvr and 1 reg. digital cable box...the boxes are
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC brand...The cable tech guy said i should switch my boxes out cause that is what the lady said for him to do...but he didnt know if that'd help

TopJet2
09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
no i havent heard switch digital the rebuilding account for one channel i havent seen either. i have seen it with whole tiers not being there at all. not tiling but just not on at all. i cant come up with anything that switch digital means

TopJet2
09-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Ok, maybe my #'s were off i was jus going off the thing on my network card on my lappy....the actual site says after i log in....

Cable Upstream 39.0 dbmV

Downstream says
Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.2 dB

The cable boxes are 1 dvr and 1 reg. digital cable box...the boxes are
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC brand...The cable tech guy said i should switch my boxes out cause that is what the lady said for him to do...but he didnt know if that'd help

well those numbers sound pretty good. i would have to bet on either a main line problem or getting interference or ingress. Keep in mind however that your digital channels and hd channels run on a higher frequency than your internet and typicaly those signal levels will end up being even lower just because higher frequency signal attenuates at a higher rate. the farther you go the higher freq will lose more signal than the lower freq. you said they put a new line in from the pole?

Skip Towne
09-02-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't do cable but if your signal is OK coming into the house and the boxes are OK I would take a look at the splitter. There has to be one somewhere.

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
well those numbers sound pretty good. i would have to bet on either a main line problem or getting interference or ingress. Keep in mind however that your digital channels and hd channels run on a higher frequency than your internet and typicaly those signal levels will end up being even lower just because higher frequency signal attenuates at a higher rate. the farther you go the higher freq will lose more signal than the lower freq. you said they put a new line in from the pole?

There is a main box that is outside of the townhomes that is about 2 houses over that they said they replaced a wire and i saw it outside and then it was buried 2 days later. Things worked fine for about a little over a week with that, it def. cleaned up the shitty picture on my digital channels doing that. But i still have the hd randomly cut out for a few min and food hd says it isnt available on the screen and to hit A on the remote to try again...been like that the whole time since they messed with it august 21st (Where that same tech that came today switched the wires inside the garage splitter, saying someone else put it wrong) he was here to fix my internet problem...then when he did that, food hd disapeared

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I don't do cable but if your signal is OK coming into the house and the boxes are OK I would take a look at the splitter. There has to be one somewhere.

Skip...there is a splitter in the garage from the main wire that was installed by the cable guy. Then next tech that messed with it switched wires from the split spots, like the 2nd and 3rd ones saying he put the wire on the wrong spot. (Like one is labeled internet and the others cable so i dont know) Since then Food HD doesn't work at all, kind've an odd coincidence. I wonder if the guy that initially put it on had it right and this guy that came back to back times switched it to make it wrong? I jus don't know, he didnt communicate well with me and didn't seem like he cared much to be honest.

TopJet2
09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
switching spots on a splitter is just a bs way to try and fix it quickly. This leads me to belive that the signal to the house could be junk. If you have a 3way split then your signals should be higher on the internet at least in my experience. If you want to try it pull the splitter out and hook up just the hd recvr and see what happens. if it fixes it then it is either poor signal or crap split like skip said. The other thing that
makes me think you have poor signal to the house is that fact that your upstream is 39db which indicates closer to main amp or no more than half way down leg. and the closer you are to the amp the higher the downstream should be.

irishjayhawk
09-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah, Sure Oz, my solution wouldn't help your case since it seems to be a stream issue (your cable is affected).

But nonetheless, investing in an APC and plugging your modem, router and pc into it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 10:59 PM
switching spots on a splitter is just a bs way to try and fix it quickly. This leads me to belive that the signal to the house could be junk. If you have a 3way split then your signals should be higher on the internet at least in my experience. If you want to try it pull the splitter out and hook up just the hd recvr and see what happens. if it fixes it then it is either poor signal or crap split like skip said. The other thing that
makes me think you have poor signal to the house is that fact that your upstream is 39db which indicates closer to main amp or no more than half way down leg. and the closer you are to the amp the higher the downstream should be.

Here are 2 pics of the splitter that are in the garage...this is the only thing in the house besides the main hook ups in 2 bedrooms and the living room...
What do you suggest i do when i call them up again....im still poed the lady assured she'd call me and didn't, im giving her until tomorrow evening...sad part is i dont know her damn name....(should i switch the 2nd and 3rd wire at the bottom back?)

Sure-Oz
09-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, Sure Oz, my solution wouldn't help your case since it seems to be a stream issue (your cable is affected).

But nonetheless, investing in an APC and plugging your modem, router and pc into it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Right now it's just on a power strip that i even used at the apt, where lights did flicker etc....and it went out maybe 2 or 3 times. I believe the gf has one packed in a box that i may setup as soon as we get our shit organized. :doh!:

BigRedChief
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I would see if you need a booster for the signal in the house. They put that in my house when I got the ondemand box.

I've got most of the channels, all the HD channels and use them as an ISP. I've had maybe 1 hour of outage in 10+ years that wasn't ice storm related.

My issue with them in no NFL network.

Valiant
09-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I would call and ask for a supervisor about your problems.. Then tell them the guy they sent the last two times did nothing helpful.. If it is a hardware issue, screw waiting on them to come fix it, grab the stuff and go to the nearest store..

If it is a software issue, then get your neighbors and yourself and phonebomb them with complaints until they send a competent employee to fix the problem.. I would also demand a reduction in cost or free service if you are having the problems you say you are..

Valiant
09-03-2008, 04:17 PM
I would see if you need a booster for the signal in the house. They put that in my house when I got the ondemand box.

I've got most of the channels, all the HD channels and use them as an ISP. I've had maybe 1 hour of outage in 10+ years that wasn't ice storm related.

My issue with them in no NFL network.

Yeah that sucks.. But I agree with the cable companies on that.. If the NFL wants their money for 'network' they should want their money for 'ticket'.. I hope the cable companies stand firm until the NFL gets rid of this exclusive rights BS..

And the NFL needs to get rid of the blackout clause also.. They have priced out most of their fanbase by going with corporate boxes and price gouges.. At least allow the local populaces to watch the games if they want when the team only worries about profits(even though I am glad we are rebuilding)..

And then on the fact that we are soooo under the cap; and the hunts/CP are wanting to sell naming rights to the stadium, but yet they have the audacity to bitch about not making that much money compared to other franchises.. They sat on what 16million last year just from league revenue in the cap.. This year the total is over 30million, that is not counting what they take in on games and local revenue.. ****ing pathetic..

Sure-Oz
09-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I am assuming it isn't the boxes, but i may make a run to the stores and get new ones...(tech suggested it but he's a douche)and hope that is it....if not i have no damn idea what else i can do. Would they even know wtf a booster is since the same guy came out 2 times in a row and didn't do shit for me? I am very dissatisfied with the service and will demand something out of this...i've never heard anyone have as many problems as i have had with them.

Right now my problems are FOOD HD is gone and says try again later (it did work on/off before) Random times maybe 1 time a day or once every few days a HD channel cuts out for a few min and comes back on. Saturday during the begining of the MIZZOU game it went out during intro's, i went to BW3 and got back and it was on and stayed on the rest of the game. I don't want any stupid interuptions anymore with my service if their end is working. I will ask for a supervisor and not be nice about it. The last lady i spoked with on friday night told me she'd call and never did. She is the same lady that said she'd give us credit on the account for a month of bad service...

Is it that hard to ask when you pay $100+ for internet/digital + "free hd" cable to have it on 99% of the time and not expect it to go off many times a month? Not a great start by any means to our new account with them. I sure as hell won't put up with it much longer...it's strange, our internet stayed on perfect maybe a few outages total at the old apt which we had an intro rate through them for a year, but had Dish for tv.

I really do miss DISH...atleast i knew when it was going out and why

BigMeatballDave
09-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I just switched back to DTV. My issue with time warner was their HD-DVRs are complete shit. I went thru 3 in less than a year.

QuikSsurfer
09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
I just switched back to DTV. My issue with time warner was their HD-DVRs are complete shit. I went thru 3 in less than a year.

The same goes for all of their boxes. I've had to replace 3 in the past 6 months.

chasedude
09-03-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm on basic cable now and wanting to eventually upgrade to an HD package. I've checked out my local provider "Rainbow Communications" and they don't really offer as much in the HD line up. I'm also upgrading to an HDTV soon too.

I bought a Hauppauge WinTV tuner card and can't seem to get a single station out of my cable, neither analog or digital. I think I'll have better luck with DirectTV or Dish

Sure-Oz
09-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm on basic cable now and wanting to eventually upgrade to an HD package. I've checked out my local provider "Rainbow Communications" and they don't really offer as much in the HD line up. I'm also upgrading to an HDTV soon too.

I bought a Hauppauge WinTV tuner card and can't seem to get a single station out of my cable, neither analog or digital. I think I'll have better luck with DirectTV or Dish

Highly suggest Dish from personal experience....they got great packages, we only got rid of ours cause the property owner wouldn't let us put one on the property.

Sure-Oz
09-03-2008, 07:04 PM
The same goes for all of their boxes. I've had to replace 3 in the past 6 months.

Nice to know...:cuss: Doesn't suprise me considering my experience so far...i have yet to use the DVR part to record shows, all i know is the guide is absolute shit compared to Dish

cabletech94
09-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey Oz!
I may have missed in an earlier post, did any of the techs replace the line coming from the outside to your house. Also, if you have pliers, doublecheck your connections on that splitter. They should be He-Man tight. If not, crank it down hard. Loose connections are one of the biggest culprets in cable problems.
Also, if both boxes are having the same issue, chances are BOTH boxes aren't bad. More than likely it's the signal coming to the house.
Also, demand to talk to a sup. Or have the sup come out with the tech. Usually when one threatens to disco due to poor service, that'll get management involved, believe it or not.
And yes, my name says it all. Good luck.

Sure-Oz
09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey Oz!
I may have missed in an earlier post, did any of the techs replace the line coming from the outside to your house. Also, if you have pliers, doublecheck your connections on that splitter. They should be He-Man tight. If not, crank it down hard. Loose connections are one of the biggest culprets in cable problems.
Also, if both boxes are having the same issue, chances are BOTH boxes aren't bad. More than likely it's the signal coming to the house.
Also, demand to talk to a sup. Or have the sup come out with the tech. Usually when one threatens to disco due to poor service, that'll get management involved, believe it or not.
And yes, my name says it all. Good luck.

Appreciate the advice...the wire was replaced on the outside box and was buried. The splitter in the house i believe is as tight as can be but im not sure, i may try that. I will ask for a Super and make sure this gets taken care of...i appreciate it! It's just gotten to that point where someone of authority does need to look at it or make sure it gets corrected.

cabletech94
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Here's another point. The Co that I work for guarentees 4 tv's per house. So unless there's some really crappy signal comin' outta the tap (power), something else is going on. Also if the food network HD is not comin' in, does it say "one moment please"? Or does it say " subscribtion services"? The first one is signal issues. The second is an error on the account and a rep (who is not retarded) should be able to fix it.
Also, your internet should ALWAYS be on. If not there is something screwy with the signal. Or it's possible that the wire in the complex is bad.
My absolute favorite thing to find is when one of my techs will put a splitter at the tap as a quick fix, only to cause a major problem with at least 2 other drop cables. Laziness is next to get punched in the eye. I give you permission for one free shot.

Sure-Oz
09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Here's another point. The Co that I work for guarentees 4 tv's per house. So unless there's some really crappy signal comin' outta the tap (power), something else is going on. Also if the food network HD is not comin' in, does it say "one moment please"? Or does it say " subscribtion services"? The first one is signal issues. The second is an error on the account and a rep (who is not retarded) should be able to fix it.
Also, your internet should ALWAYS be on. If not there is something screwy with the signal. Or it's possible that the wire in the complex is bad.
My absolute favorite thing to find is when one of my techs will put a splitter at the tap as a quick fix, only to cause a major problem with at least 2 other drop cables. Laziness is next to get punched in the eye. I give you permission for one free shot.

haha...it say's "one moment please" and try again push the A button, i do and it stays black for a few moments and then the message comes on again. I do know the tech switched the wires as seen in the pics posted above, the 2nd and 3rd switched to "fix" my internet problem and i noticed Food HD never came back on, it worked before it....the tech said maybe i should call them and have them re-do my account? from scratch? WEIRD...

If the wire in the complex is bad, then is that something i have to get with the builder, cause they have no messed with any actual spots inside the house, just the splitter in the garage with the main wires and outside box. It seems like the last tech i had here the last 2 times they hired off the street and didnt care what cred's he had. I understand it can be a trained job etc, but there are slackers at every workplace that you wonder how the hell they are still there.

cabletech94
09-03-2008, 08:29 PM
For sure is a signal problem, right down to the pausing black screen. Here's something else to ponder: Sometimes splitters are bad also. In my system we use 1000mhz splitters. Gold radio shack/ wal-mart splitters are notorious for causing signal related issues. It sounds like you are borderline on signal entering the house, that's why when the techs "switched" the outlet on the splitter, it fixed one thing, while hurting the other.
Chances are that the wire inside the house is not bad, but I've seen it bad (ie--if contractors used cheap radioshack/walmart cable instead of good old fashion rg6--the norm).
Hey, how many cable jacks in the house do you have. If it's 3, then that makes sense with the 3 way splitter. If you've got more jacks in the house, then there's another splitter somewhere.

Sure-Oz
09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
For sure is a signal problem, right down to the pausing black screen. Here's something else to ponder: Sometimes splitters are bad also. In my system we use 1000mhz splitters. Gold radio shack/ wal-mart splitters are notorious for causing signal related issues. It sounds like you are borderline on signal entering the house, that's why when the techs "switched" the outlet on the splitter, it fixed one thing, while hurting the other.
Chances are that the wire inside the house is not bad, but I've seen it bad (ie--if contractors used cheap radioshack/walmart cable instead of good old fashion rg6--the norm).
Hey, how many cable jacks in the house do you have. If it's 3, then that makes sense with the 3 way splitter. If you've got more jacks in the house, then there's another splitter somewhere.

I have 3 total jacks, 1 in the living room and 2 bedrooms...
The tech said maybe the wiring is bad in the house too, but i just dont trust him cause he mumbled alot and it seemed more like excuse making, he really wouldnt give me any clear answers or suggestions, i think he was more concerned with getting in and out quick. Should i switch the wires back to where they were if i can and tighten them? I have no clue what he did outside to the box, i have never seen any of them mess with it or what it looks like, i know one for sure replaced a wire cause it was a thick red/orange cable outside, then buried 2 days later.

cabletech94
09-04-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm not sure what the red/orange cable is. Next tech to come out, see if he'll run a temp cable from the outside up to one of your problem boxes. I.E. like from the outside through the window to the hd box. This will let you know if the cable is bad. There are other ways to determine if the wire is bad, but it sounds like you have a real problem with the service guys. And that sucks. Although if a supervisor does come with, you'll probably get more work out of a tech. Good luck.

Sure-Oz
09-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure what the red/orange cable is. Next tech to come out, see if he'll run a temp cable from the outside up to one of your problem boxes. I.E. like from the outside through the window to the hd box. This will let you know if the cable is bad. There are other ways to determine if the wire is bad, but it sounds like you have a real problem with the service guys. And that sucks. Although if a supervisor does come with, you'll probably get more work out of a tech. Good luck.

Appreciate it man, i will have to give them a call very soon to fix this...im sick of taking work off, ill demand a supervisor to come out with a tech...i atleast need a damn resolution, if its something on the builders end atleast i can work on that....

I'm just tired of stupid people, really...take pride in what you do or atleast hire competent people.