PDA

View Full Version : Music Death Magnetic - Metallica

Gravedigger
09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I went to work today and one of my fellow employees brought in a ripped version of this new album and I have to say much props to Metallica for breaking away from the sounds of St. Anger, and also stepping beyond the Load and Reload layout. This album takes something from every Metallica album, maybe thats a sign of a band that is searching for new material that their fans will appreciate, or maybe it's their honest intention to go back to those certain roots. Either way this album is definetly worthy of praise.

The things that I liked:
#1. They put the metal back in Metallica! Every song has a great amount of technical riffs, speed techniques, and hey those things that were non-existent in St. Anger... what are those things..... OH YEAH guitar solos. And no god damn punk sounding snare drum taps in this one.

#2. The songs are longer and not just a single scheme, such as intro chorus body chorus body chorus finale, that most rock songs have gotten ahold of lately. Now don't get me wrong there is a pretty decent amount of repetition in this album but the other things take your mind off of it, unless you didn't like The Day that Never Comes, then you might approach this album overanalyzing every little thing which if that's your thing go for it. Every single song in this album with the exception of 1, My Apocalypse, is over 6 minutes long. The song Suicide and Redemption borders 10 minutes in length.

#3. Lars takes a back seat! This album isn't soaked in drums thankfully, if anything the guitar reigns supreme this time around which is a very nice thing for Kirk Hammett to shine again having gotten no solos in St. Anger, a move that I'm sure has haunted him since the day he laid down the tracks. Lars does do his fair share here with constant sychronization of bass drum, snare, guitar, and bass notes, but it seems more even this time around.

#4. The Unforgiven III... yes it continues in this album. Opened up by a very nice introduction of piano and other symphonic instruments. But fear not they don't use the exact same riffs and notes in this version like they did with Reload's Unforgiven II and the original Black Album's Unforgiven. It has that same dark melodic tone with the chorus' sounding more like Unforgiven II and the body of the piece sounding more like the first with the heavy bass background with a mixture of two guitars intertwining their parts. The only thing that I don't understand is this song is so different sounding than Unforgiven that why use the name. Why not call it something different and have people say "That song reminded me of a mixture of the two Unforgiven's... but in a good way!" It's a small nitpick but I say let the sleeping dog lie.

Things I didn't like:

1. Robert Trujillo, the bassist, is covered up in this album and almost non-existent with the occasional peak throughs and a one or two note solo in Cyanide. Now I know he's technically the FNG but he has alot of talent, why couldn't he have a better part in this, I'm not talking about Anesthesia Cliff Burton or anything but something nice would've been nice. Most of the album is him playing the exact same thing as James Hetfield's rhythm. In Suicide and Redemption he pokes through as well but only for minor parts.

2. Suicide and Redemption song #9, purely instrumental, and not in the way of Orion or Call of Cthulu. It just seems like a ten minute long jam session which is cool and all but it's just too long. After I listened to it I went back and fast forwarded about eight times throughout the song and stopped at different points and every time I stopped I found that it sounded exactly the same as the last time I stopped. They throw in a softer guitar riff section but compared to the other 8 and a half minutes of the song it falters in comparison and is hardly noticeable.

3. Repetition: The songs are longer but that doesn't necessarily guarantee you a good song, it felt like when they carried out the end of a couple of songs that they were just mixing things up and trying to throw things in that felt awkward and not feeling right with the songs, such as note and tempo progressions.

Overall this is a definite buy for me, and with most places selling it for 10 bucks I think this will be an album I go into Best Buy and purchase before I have to go to work on September 12th and I would recommend it to anyone. But of course, that's just my opinion :D

chiefs1111
09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
The songs I heard off of it weren't to bad... Im looking forward to getting this one.

Ari Chi3fs
09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190510&page=3

Deberg_1990
09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Listening to some of it right now. It kicks A$$!!

Gravedigger
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190510&page=3

I don't care its in the wrong forum and it's not even a review the only thing it has going for it are it's ten pages..... and stuff:mad:

Reaper16
09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Suicide & Redemption > j00

Jawshco
09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I went to work today and one of my fellow employees brought in a ripped version of this new album and I have to say much props to Metallica for breaking away from the sounds of St. Anger, and also stepping beyond the Load and Reload layout. This album takes something from every Metallica album, maybe thats a sign of a band that is searching for new material that their fans will appreciate, or maybe it's their honest intention to go back to those certain roots. Either way this album is definetly worthy of praise.

The things that I liked:
#1. They put the metal back in Metallica! Every song has a great amount of technical riffs, speed techniques, and hey those things that were non-existent in St. Anger... what are those things..... OH YEAH guitar solos. And no god damn punk sounding snare drum taps in this one.

#2. The songs are longer and not just a single scheme, such as intro chorus body chorus body chorus finale, that most rock songs have gotten ahold of lately. Now don't get me wrong there is a pretty decent amount of repetition in this album but the other things take your mind off of it, unless you didn't like The Day that Never Comes, then you might approach this album overanalyzing every little thing which if that's your thing go for it. Every single song in this album with the exception of 1, My Apocalypse, is over 6 minutes long. The song Suicide and Redemption borders 10 minutes in length.

#3. Lars takes a back seat! This album isn't soaked in drums thankfully, if anything the guitar reigns supreme this time around which is a very nice thing for Kirk Hammett to shine again having gotten no solos in St. Anger, a move that I'm sure has haunted him since the day he laid down the tracks. Lars does do his fair share here with constant sychronization of bass drum, snare, guitar, and bass notes, but it seems more even this time around.

#4. The Unforgiven III... yes it continues in this album. Opened up by a very nice introduction of piano and other symphonic instruments. But fear not they don't use the exact same riffs and notes in this version like they did with Reload's Unforgiven II and the original Black Album's Unforgiven. It has that same dark melodic tone with the chorus' sounding more like Unforgiven II and the body of the piece sounding more like the first with the heavy bass background with a mixture of two guitars intertwining their parts. The only thing that I don't understand is this song is so different sounding than Unforgiven that why use the name. Why not call it something different and have people say "That song reminded me of a mixture of the two Unforgiven's... but in a good way!" It's a small nitpick but I say let the sleeping dog lie.

Things I didn't like:

1. Robert Trujillo, the bassist, is covered up in this album and almost non-existent with the occasional peak throughs and a one or two note solo in Cyanide. Now I know he's technically the FNG but he has alot of talent, why couldn't he have a better part in this, I'm not talking about Anesthesia Cliff Burton or anything but something nice would've been nice. Most of the album is him playing the exact same thing as James Hetfield's rhythm. In Suicide and Redemption he pokes through as well but only for minor parts.

2. Suicide and Redemption song #9, purely instrumental, and not in the way of Orion or Call of Cthulu. It just seems like a ten minute long jam session which is cool and all but it's just too long. After I listened to it I went back and fast forwarded about eight times throughout the song and stopped at different points and every time I stopped I found that it sounded exactly the same as the last time I stopped. They throw in a softer guitar riff section but compared to the other 8 and a half minutes of the song it falters in comparison and is hardly noticeable.

3. Repetition: The songs are longer but that doesn't necessarily guarantee you a good song, it felt like when they carried out the end of a couple of songs that they were just mixing things up and trying to throw things in that felt awkward and not feeling right with the songs, such as note and tempo progressions.

Overall this is a definite buy for me, and with most places selling it for 10 bucks I think this will be an album I go into Best Buy and purchase before I have to go to work on September 12th and I would recommend it to anyone. But of course, that's just my opinion :D

Your review, though more detailed is similar to what I was saying in the other thread. There are like 4 Death Magnetic threads now right? LOL! Anyway, I pretty much agree with everything you said. They definitely did not need to call that song Unforgiven 3, it hold up on it's own without being tied down to the other two, but I guess it's a continuation of the story.

Dude Trujillo has some great bass lines on Death Magnetic! I don't know how many times you've heard the album, but he's certainly not hidden. I love his intro to All Nightmare Long (which is my favorite track right now). That being said, he's a great metal bassist and a good fit for the band, but he's not the most inventive bass player. And come to think of it he's probably my 3rd favorite Ozzy & Metallica bassist. I mean you can't beat Gezzer Butler, and I love Mike Inez who did the No More Tears album before moving on to Alice In Chains- now that guy had some cool bass ideas! On the Metallica side, nobody will ever be better for that band than Burton, and though a lot of people dislike Newstead's simple picking style- he actually is a very inventive and solid rock bassist. But if Metallica was looking for creative bass they would have hired Claypool. I still kind of wish they would have, if even for one album- it would have been insane!

The songs are long, almost more like medlies than indivdual songs, but I really do enjoy this album. It's actually growing on me every time I hear it.

Deberg_1990
09-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Listened to it a couple of times now and it really is awesume.

Just a great rockin CD. Its nothing like Load, Re-Load or Black Album if you are a hater of those CD's.

Demonpenz
09-06-2008, 11:35 AM
It is really really fun. Stop breaking it apart and just rock out to some good speakers :)

Deberg_1990
01-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Since Death Magnetic kicked a$$, heres Beyond Magnetic, out today!!

http://www.metallica.com/products/beyond-magnetic-ep.asp

The Beyond Magnetic EP in CD format, features four unreleased songs recorded in 2008 during the Death Magnetic sessions. The songs were first performed live for fan club members during the 30th anniversary shows at the Fillmore in San Francisco during December 2011. The band subsequently released this four-track EP of the original studio versions of the songs. (Previously released on iTunes.)

Tracklist:
1. Hate Train
2. Just A Bullet Away
3. Hell And Back
4. Rebel Of Babylon

Demonpenz
01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
I heard "The day that never comes" on Sirus the other day, first time in 3 years. I was like how the fuck do I know this song.

Sofa King
02-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Since Death Magnetic kicked a$$, heres Beyond Magnetic, out today!!

http://www.metallica.com/products/beyond-magnetic-ep.asp

The Beyond Magnetic EP in CD format, features four unreleased songs recorded in 2008 during the Death Magnetic sessions. The songs were first performed live for fan club members during the 30th anniversary shows at the Fillmore in San Francisco during December 2011. The band subsequently released this four-track EP of the original studio versions of the songs. (Previously released on iTunes.)

Tracklist:
1. Hate Train
2. Just A Bullet Away
3. Hell And Back
4. Rebel Of Babylon

Awesome cd.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q27SGo-fMhs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AMtMHSu2-jU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8e7yhbR49p0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AmKoOevPYLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lcarus
02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
At first I didn't really care for Death Magnetic, but over time I grew to enjoy it. Best album they've had in years without question.