PDA

View Full Version : Books The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Dallas Chief
09-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Has anyone read The Road by Cormac McCarthy? I am on a business trip and bought it on my way out of town. I had little else to do with my time tonight so I read it cover to cover. I just finished about 20 minutes ago and just sat here in my hotel room and wept. If any of you have small children I think you will understand after reading this excellent work. I really miss my boys tonight...:(

Sorry for the bummer but I just felt compelled to share...

NewChief
09-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Great work. Some of his fans don't like it, but I really loved the evolution to a sparser style.

Dallas Chief
09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Great work. Some of his fans don't like it, but I really loved the evolution to a sparser style.

Well it totally blew me away and I'm not much of a reader. I just don't have the time with the internets and all.

Hey! The weather is nice here tonight in your neck of the woods.:)

NewChief
09-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Well it totally blew me away and I'm not much of a reader. I just don't have the time with the internets and all.

Hey! The weather is nice here tonight in your neck of the woods.:)

You up doing business with Wally World? And yeah, it's been raining like crazy, but it cleared out and dropped the temps this afternoon. Planning on camping this weekend, and it should be a gorgeous weekend for it.

noa
09-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, its an awesome book. Definitely gut wrenching at the end. Its great that I had seen a bunch of apocalyptic movies before and felt that there was a certain formula to them, and yet McCarthy's approach seemed new and innovative. The thing that struck me most about his book that doesn't really get through in the movies is that even if you prepared for the apocalypse and built this badass shelter or trained yourself to survive, then what? You're just surviving, but is that really worth anything? What does it mean to live on through the end of the world? What kind of a life is that? As I read the book, I got the feeling that I would almost prefer to just die in whatever mass catastrophe it was that killed everyone.

Like New Phin said, its different stylistically from his other books, but I don't think that is a bad thing at all. I love Blood Meridian, but it was really dense, and a part of me appreciated that you could read The Road in just a day or two and still feel the effect of having read a major work.

I see they are making a movie out of the road and Charlize Theron is in it and I can't figure out why. I barely remember a female role in the book. But they cast Viggo Mortesen as the main character, so that could be good.

NewChief
09-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I see they are making a movie out of the road and Charlize Theron is in it and I can't figure out why. I barely remember a female role in the book. But they cast Viggo Mortesen as the main character, so that could be good.

They'll probably do flashback scenes to the whole family life pre-apocalypse.

ZootedGranny
09-04-2008, 11:54 PM
My only real complaint with the book is that it gets very repetitive at times, in both dialogue and description. That said, the point could be made that in their position, the days would run together and they'd find themselves doing the exact same thing day to day.

I'm excited for the movie, with the hopes that they:

1. Don't explain the catastrophe.
2. Don't go overboard with the flashbacks.

NewChief
09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
My only real complaint with the book is that it gets very repetitive at times, in both dialogue and description. That said, the point could be made that in their position, the days would run together and they'd find themselves doing the exact same thing day to day.

I'm excited for the movie, with the hopes that they:

1. Don't explain the catastrophe.
2. Don't go overboard with the flashbacks.

REally agree on #2. If they try to make some sort of romantic bullshit out of flashbacks, I'll puke. I can just see the Dad drifting off into death and Charlize Theron as his long lost wife/angel welcoming him into the afterlife and telling him "job well done." :Lin:

ChiefsLV
09-05-2008, 01:36 AM
[ Spoiler Alert ]

How do they make this book into a movie that isn't the most depressing movie ever without deviating from the story as presented in the book? I thought the book had a little too much dialogue and description of the environment and could have used a little more action/suspense. The author could have expanded some of the events a little more to make it more interesting IMO, like the baby roasting over the fire. There wasn't a whole lot of build up to it and it was over and done with in like one page. And do I seriously need to know every can of food they cracked open? Seriously, the author should have spent more time expanding the human antagonists' role in the book.

ragedogg69
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
[ Spoiler Alert ]

How do they make this book into a movie that isn't the most depressing movie ever without deviating from the story as presented in the book? I thought the book had a little too much dialogue and description of the environment and could have used a little more action/suspense. The author could have expanded some of the events a little more to make it more interesting IMO, like the baby roasting over the fire. There wasn't a whole lot of build up to it and it was over and done with in like one page. And do I seriously need to know every can of food they cracked open? Seriously, the author should have spent more time expanding the human antagonists' role in the book.

pretty much summed up why i didnt like it. i found the child to be over the top annoying. the whole poppa thing got old quick. but i dont like children in general. :P

I find Cormac McCarthy's works boring. I need to stick with Chuck Palahniuk.

Miles
09-06-2008, 03:42 AM
A copy has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while but for some reason I have not picked it up yet. This thread will probably make me start on it really soon. I read No Country for Old Men the previous summer and the writing style took a bit to get used to but once it clicked it flowed really well.

blaise
09-07-2008, 12:15 AM
The writing style for The Road is different than most of his other stuff. From what I've read the movie is supposed to follow very closely to the book. Something tells me McCarthy isn't the type to just sell the rights and let a director do whatever he wants.
There's also a Blood Meridian movie being made. I really don't see how they'll do that one. Basically it's a bunch of cowboys killing everything that moves.
And I didn't see any reason to expand the human antagonists role in The Road. They're the faceless evil that men do to each other.

Miles
01-30-2009, 04:05 AM
I finally got around to reading this one a few weeks ago and felt it held up to praise. Took me two nights to read it but is easily one that could be finished in a night if you are not tired. Between this and No Country for Old Men I am pretty damn impressed with McCarthy's writing and have Blood Meridian high on my list of next to read.

NewChief
01-30-2009, 05:42 AM
FYI:

Ben Nichols (Arkansas native) of Lucero released a solo album where all the songs are based on characters from Blood Meridian:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99347082

BigRock
01-30-2009, 06:53 AM
I thought this said Carmen McCarthy.