PDA

View Full Version : Elections Poll shows big shift to McCain among white women

Donger
09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/story//nm/20080909/pl_nm/usa_politics_women_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) Republican presidential candidate John McCain has gained huge support among white women since naming Sarah Palin as his running mate and now leads Democrat Barack Obama among those voters, according to a survey published on Tuesday.

The Washington Post/ABC News poll found that much of McCain's surge in the polls since the Republican National Convention is attributable to the shift in support among white women.

The race for the White House is now a virtual tie, with Obama at 47 percent support of registered voters and McCain at 46 percent, the poll found.

Before the Democratic National Convention in late August, Obama held an 8 percentage point lead among white women voters, 50 percent to 42 percent, but after the Republican convention in early September, McCain was ahead by 12 points among white women, 53 percent to 41 percent, the poll found.

Asked about the findings during a briefing on Monday before the poll was published, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe told a Washington Post reporter, "Well, your poll is wrong."

"I don't think you'll find many others that back up a 20-point reversal," Plouffe said during the briefing at Obama's campaign headquarters in Chicago. "We certainly are not seeing any movement like that. Polls, time to time, particularly on the demographic stuff, can have some pretty wild swings."

McCain surprised the electorate ahead of the Republican convention by naming Palin, the little-known Alaska governor, as his vice presidential running mate. She received high marks among supporters for her convention address, which included a scathing attack ridiculing Obama's experience and record.

Obama, who would be the first black U.S. president, defeated rival Hillary Clinton in the battle for the Democratic nomination, a long and bitter struggle that left many of the former first lady's supporters disaffected and angry.

Many of her backers were further angered when Obama ignored her in picking a vice president, choosing instead long-time Delaware Sen. Joe Biden. A key question for the Obama campaign has been whether he would be able to maintain the support of Clinton's supporters.

HolmeZz
09-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Are you saying women are stupid and only interested in the vag?

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 11:47 AM

that's what he said in his actions when he choose palin

Donger
09-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Stupid? No. But I do believe there are many women out there for whom gender may trump political beliefs.

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Stupid? No. But I do believe there are many women out there for whom gender may trump political beliefs.

quote me on this

then they are stupid

HolmeZz
09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
But I do believe there are many women out there for whom gender may trump political beliefs.

I think playing into McCain's hands would qualify as quite stupid.

Donger
09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
quote me on this

then they are stupid

Good for you, I guess.

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Good for you, I guess.

thank you

Stinger
09-09-2008, 11:54 AM

quote me on this

then they are stupid

Just curious does this include voting on just the color of a persons skin triumphs political beliefs whether white or black?

HolmeZz
09-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Just curious does this include voting on just the color of a persons skin triumphs political beliefs whether white or black?

Pretty much, although there's something to be said about going through a primary and getting nominated to be President on your own merits, and just having a vagina.

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 11:58 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement as well

you should vote on who you thinks gonna do the most good/better job

race or gender ain't got nothing to do with it

WilliamTheIrish
09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
WAATWWA?

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I think it's pretty easy for you males to have that view, to be honest. We've had the representation. Women haven't.

RJ
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm beginning to think you may be right.

I am surprised. Palin and Hillary have virtually nothing it common other than gender, yet it appears that for many women that is bigger than abortion rights, Iraq, health care reform and many other issues.

Weird. I'da never thunked it.

RJ
09-09-2008, 12:14 PM

If I were a black person I think I would probably believe that Obama as President would be generally a good thing for black folks.

If I were a woman I don't think I would feel that Palin as VP would be generally a good thing for women.

Since I am neither black nor a woman, I certainly could be wrong on both counts.

*edit* If I were a woman who was concerned about the rights of women to hunt moose I would likely be a big Palin fan.

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm beginning to think you may be right.

I am surprised. Palin and Hillary have virtually nothing it common other than gender, yet it appears that for many women that is bigger than abortion rights, Iraq, health care reform and many other issues.

Weird. I'da never thunked it.

I think Democrats are playing a dangerous game if they assume that abortion is the only thing that women care about. Very dangerous.

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I think it's pretty easy for you males to have that view, to be honest. We've had the representation. Women haven't.

"you" males
are you a female?

it's easy to say it's acceptable as long as it's your candidate doing it, right?

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I think Democrats are playing a dangerous game if they assume that abortion is the only thing that women care about. Very dangerous.

Like having a vagina in the second most powerful position in the world?

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
"you" males
are you a female?

it's easy to say it's acceptable as long as it's your candidate doing it, right?

"You" males that consider women stupid for gender trumping politics.

HolmeZz
09-09-2008, 12:19 PM

If you supported Hillary(and a lot of these white women did) then you're sacrificing much more of what you believed in than just abortion rights.

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:20 PM
If you supported Hillary(and a lot of these white women did) then you're sacrificing much more of what you believed in than just abortion rights.

Indeed.

mlyonsd
09-09-2008, 12:21 PM
I bet there are thousands of women that think a hockey mom would be good for the country. Especially the ones that despised Hillary, and believe me, there are lots and lots of those.

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 12:22 PM
"You" males that consider women stupid for gender trumping politics.

if "you" males consider a person's qualifications to be in a high office is sufficient to what gender they are then how dare you criticize experience

obama has a penis as has every president before him.....see he is clearly qualified, moreso than mccain because he can actually use his

Cannibal
09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
If they think this will get Hillary elected in 2012, they had better think again. They will not be forgiven for potentially losing this election and in turn Obama supporters will not vote for Hillary in 2012 if McCain wins in 2008. It will turn into a tit for tat and could cause multiple elections to be lost on the Dem side. I almost cannot comprehend how selfish this is on their part that they would rather see the country driven further into ruin just so a person with a gash between their legs can hold the Vice Presidency. When McCain gets elected, I almost hope the Roe is overturned so they can really have a chance to see what they will have done.

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:24 PM
if "you" males consider a person's qualifications to be in a high office is sufficient to what gender they are then how dare you criticize experience

obama has a penis as has every president before him.....see he is clearly qualified, moreso than mccain because he can actually use his

I don't care that Palin is female.

Iowanian
09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
That can't be anything but untrue. Its UNPOSSIBLE!!!!

I was told that once they go barak, they'll never come back.

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't care that Palin is female.

nor do I

weren't we talking about those who do?

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:26 PM
nor do I

weren't we talking about those who do?

Yes. Perhaps we'll get one to show up here, and you can explain why you think they are stupid.

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 12:26 PM
That can't be anything but untrue. Its UNPOSSIBLE!!!!

I was told that once they go barak, they'll never come back.

Um vote for Mccain, so, uh we can go down, uh, the drain?
:shrug:

I got nothing

J Diddy
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes. Perhaps we'll get one to show up here, and you can explain why you think they are stupid.

I would have no problem with that, please explain to me why you think it is smart to vote for someone on gender alone?

RJ
09-09-2008, 12:28 PM

I agree. That's why I mentioned those other things like health care and Iraq. Why would you think the Democrats would assume that?

I can say that for my own wife ( pretty much a non-political type), abortion rights probably wouldn't be included on her top ten list of issues.

RJ
09-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I bet there are thousands of women that think a hockey mom would be good for the country. Especially the ones that despised Hillary, and believe me, there are lots and lots of those.

I think that is very true. That's one reason why I didn't want Hillary to win the nomination.

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I agree. That's why I mentioned those other things like health care and Iraq. Why would you think the Democrats would assume that?

I can say that for my own wife ( pretty much a non-political type), abortion rights probably wouldn't be included on her top ten list of issues.

Abortion seems to be the first thing that Democrats mention when it comes to "women's rights." Check out the other thread.

HolmeZz
09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Abortion seems to be the first thing that Democrats mention when it comes to "women's rights." Check out the other thread.

Women's rights and issues women care about can be and generally are two different things.

StcChief
09-09-2008, 12:33 PM

as more and more women with children this is becoming a non-issue.

it's way past 1970.....

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Women's rights and issues women care about can be and generally are two different things.

No argument there. But, it seems like "women's rights" equals "abortion" to some, above and beyond everything else.

HolmeZz
09-09-2008, 12:35 PM
No argument there. But, it seems like "women's rights" equals "abortion" to some, above and beyond everything else.

I think there a couple things that fall under the category of women's rights(that are at least hot button issues today). One is abortion and the other is equal pay, which I know McCain is against and I think Palin is as well.

Radar Chief
09-09-2008, 12:38 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jGQ-ISsDm8M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jGQ-ISsDm8M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>