PDA

View Full Version : Elections Report: Palin tapped travel allowance at home.

Frankie
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080909/ap_on_el_pr/palin_travel_expenses

Report: Palin tapped travel allowance at home 1 hour, 43 minutes ago

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has charged her state a daily allowance, normally used for official travel, for more than 300 nights spent at her home, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

An analysis of travel statements filed by the governor, now John McCain's Republican running mate, shows she claimed the per diem allowance on 312 occasions when she was home in Wasilla and that she billed taxpayers $43,490 for travel by her husband and children.

Per diem payments are meant for meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business. State officials told The Post her claims — nearly $17,000 over 19 months — were permitted because her "duty station" is Juneau, the capital, and she was in Wasilla 600 miles away. The governor moved to Juneau last year but often stays in Wasilla and works 45 miles away, in a state office in Anchorage.

Palin's spending and record in office are coming under intense scrutiny as she is presented to the nation as a champion of ethics reform and frugal use of tax dollars — a leader who put the state jet on sale on eBay and drives herself to work.

The Post's analysis shows her husband Todd and their daughters were reimbursed by taxpayers for many trips between Wasilla and Juneau as well as for a variety of other travel that was also listed as state business. Palin's aides said travel by Alaska's first family is part of the job.

But it's not clear when children's travel expenses should be covered. State finance director Kim Garnero told the paper the government covers the travel costs of anyone conducting state business and, "I can't imagine kids could be doing that."

Palin took her daughter Bristol to New York in October for a conference on women and leadership, a tour of the New York Stock Exchange and various meetings, the analysis shows. Travel costs included three nights in a hotel room costing more than $700 a night.

Overall, Palin's travel spending pales in comparison with that of predecessor Frank Murkowski, who charged $463,000 for air fare in 2006. Palin charged $93,000 in 2007.

Palin spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt said Tuesday that the governor is expected to travel frequently. "This is part of her job and it's only reasonable her travel expenses — which were reduced dramatically from the previous administration — would be covered," Schmitt said.

Stinger
09-09-2008, 12:38 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080909/ap_on_el_pr/palin_travel_expenses

Overall, Palin's travel spending pales in comparison with that of predecessor Frank Murkowski, who charged $463,000 for air fare in 2006. Palin charged $93,000 in 2007..

:hmmm:

Frankie
09-09-2008, 12:40 PM
:hmmm:

Less corrupt means good?

ROYC75
09-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Somewhere Randy Travis is singing ......

Dem's digging up bones ,

Dem's digging up bones,

Dem's go'n place's that they should have left alone....

Stinger
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Less corrupt means good?

You mean traveling on State business and doing it a lesser cost to the tax payers of the State when working for the State?

Eh maybe Nancy Pelosi could answer that as well or possible learn a thing or two about that????

The day began with a news conference in which Pelosi announced she would fly commercial if the military could not provide a plane with a cross-country-sized fuel tank. Pentagon officials, after weeks of deliberation, have offered her the same kind of plane Hastert used but said she could use a larger one if it happened to be available.

“I am happy to ride commercial coast to coast,” Pelosi said, sounding not very happy at all, as she went on to suggest that she was being denied the same privileges provided her predecessor. “I’m not saying that I am being discriminated against because I am a woman. I’m just saying as the first woman speaker, I have no intention of having less respect for the office I hold than all of the other speakers that have come before me.”

Donger
09-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Per diem payments are meant for meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business. State officials told The Post her claims — nearly $17,000 over 19 months — were permitted because her "duty station" is Juneau, the capital, and she was in Wasilla 600 miles away. The governor moved to Juneau last year but often stays in Wasilla and works 45 miles away, in a state office in Anchorage.

Sorry, I don't see the issue. ~$50/day?

BigCatDaddy
09-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Yep, more much to do about nothing. Nice Try LWMNJ.

Pitt Gorilla
09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Her children were conducting state business?

dirk digler
09-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I know this probably happens alot but I don't get why she or anyone else should get money for traveling to or staying at her house.

I know if I decided to go work in KC but live in Clinton not many or no companies would pay for my travel to and from home.

StcChief
09-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Good luck with this as any violation. the previous Gov. was the issue.

mlyonsd
09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Maybe this matters to the 20% of Alaskans that don't approve of the job she's doing.

LOCOChief
09-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I know this probably happens alot but I don't get why she or anyone else should get money for traveling to or staying at her house.

I know if I decided to go work in KC but live in Clinton not many or no companies would pay for my travel to and from home.

If you were as good as Sarah they would, but your not so they won't

banyon
09-09-2008, 03:11 PM
If this were Obama, there'd be people calling for impeachment.

cdcox
09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
You can charge the state per diems when you stay at home? Sweet! Tommorrow I'm going to back bill the Univeristy for the $225,000 in per diems they owe me.

wazu
09-09-2008, 07:45 PM

I'll do it right now. IMPEACH OBAMA!

Logical
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Somewhere Randy Travis is singing ......

Dem's digging up bones ,

Dem's digging up bones,

Dem's go'n place's that they should have left alone....Another fine example of how you are not a partisan.

RINGLEADER
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM

I wouldn't be one of them. It would be like expecting someone who lives in Los Angeles to commute to Denver for work and foot the bill themselves. Besides, from the looks of it, she significantly cut the costs to the state by doing things like flying coach instead of using a private plane (which I'd be okay with too to be honest -- but I digress).

Why is this even a story? It was on the front page of the Washington Post today. It's a variation of the she was for the Bridge before she was against it (and saving the country millions of dollars -- yeah, that's a terrible position to have).

And people wonder why all the garbage being thrown at Palin doesn't stick.

Stinger
09-09-2008, 09:26 PM

For Following the State of Alaska's Per Diem Policy???

You can charge the state per diems when you stay at home?

From a reader:

A 30-second google search (http://fin.admin.state.ak.us/dof/ak_admin_manual/resource/60t.pdf) shows that she did not inappropriately or illegally claim per diems:

M&IE
Meals and incidental expense allowance. The portion of per diem that reimburses travelers for the cost of meals and necessary incidental expenses including tips, laundry expenses, and other personal costs of travel.

The per diem consists of two parts, meals and incidental expenses, and lodging.

Per Diem
Per diem allowance is a daily payment instead of reimbursement for actual expenses for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses. It is separate from transportation expenses and other miscellaneous expenses.

Residence
The residence of a traveler is the location, or within 50 miles thereof, where the traveler maintains the primary dwelling. If a traveler maintains multiple residences, the commissioner of the department shall designate the residence that bears the most logical relationship to the traveler's duty station as the traveler's primary residence. Factors to be considered in determining the primary residence include: the time ordinarily spent performing duties at each location; the degree of business activity at each location; the relative amount of state wages earned at each location. Agencies may also contact the Division of Finance for assistance. [NOTE - obviously the governor of Alaska's duty station is not Wasilla, and so her primary residence is the gov's mansion]

M&IE Rules for Specific Situations
...If a traveler maintains a dwelling at their destination and it is available to them [NOTE - think Wasilla], they will be entitled to only an M&IE allowance for normal workdays. [NOTE - which is what she claimed] An M&IE allowance for other than normal workdays is not allowed.

Alaska Administrative Manual - Accounting Travel 60.28
If a traveler is temporarily returned to the traveler’s duty station while on a long-term assignment and is continuing to receive a long-term lodging per diem, the traveler is not entitled to any M&IE allowance while at the duty station. [NOTE - she did not claim per diem while at governor's mansion]

The document cited (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2008/09/09/GR2008090900280.html?sid=ST2008090900325)by the Washington Post clearly shows she did not claim lodging while staying at her Wasilla house.

Perhaps the Washington Post ought to do some reporting rather than disseminating Obama's talking points. Or maybe they are acting "like a heroin addict" like MSNBC I mean seriously, why isn't the headline, "Sarah Palin Followed Alaska's Per Diem Policy"

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZjRhYzE2MzYzMmNiYjliYTc1OGYxNTk4ZGZiOTMyOTM=

cdcox
09-09-2008, 09:34 PM
For Following the State of Alaska's Per Diem Policy???

From a reader:

A 30-second google search (http://fin.admin.state.ak.us/dof/ak_admin_manual/resource/60t.pdf) shows that she did not inappropriately or illegally claim per diems:

M&IE
Meals and incidental expense allowance. The portion of per diem that reimburses travelers for the cost of meals and necessary incidental expenses including tips, laundry expenses, and other personal costs of travel.

The per diem consists of two parts, meals and incidental expenses, and lodging.

Per Diem
Per diem allowance is a daily payment instead of reimbursement for actual expenses for lodging, meals, and incidental expenses. It is separate from transportation expenses and other miscellaneous expenses.

Residence
The residence of a traveler is the location, or within 50 miles thereof, where the traveler maintains the primary dwelling. If a traveler maintains multiple residences, the commissioner of the department shall designate the residence that bears the most logical relationship to the traveler's duty station as the traveler's primary residence. Factors to be considered in determining the primary residence include: the time ordinarily spent performing duties at each location; the degree of business activity at each location; the relative amount of state wages earned at each location. Agencies may also contact the Division of Finance for assistance. [NOTE - obviously the governor of Alaska's duty station is not Wasilla, and so her primary residence is the gov's mansion]

M&IE Rules for Specific Situations
...If a traveler maintains a dwelling at their destination and it is available to them [NOTE - think Wasilla], they will be entitled to only an M&IE allowance for normal workdays. [NOTE - which is what she claimed] An M&IE allowance for other than normal workdays is not allowed.

Alaska Administrative Manual - Accounting Travel 60.28
If a traveler is temporarily returned to the traveler’s duty station while on a long-term assignment and is continuing to receive a long-term lodging per diem, the traveler is not entitled to any M&IE allowance while at the duty station. [NOTE - she did not claim per diem while at governor's mansion]

The document cited (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2008/09/09/GR2008090900280.html?sid=ST2008090900325)by the Washington Post clearly shows she did not claim lodging while staying at her Wasilla house.

Perhaps the Washington Post ought to do some reporting rather than disseminating Obama's talking points. Or maybe they are acting "like a heroin addict" like MSNBC I mean seriously, why isn't the headline, "Sarah Palin Followed Alaska's Per Diem Policy"

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZjRhYzE2MzYzMmNiYjliYTc1OGYxNTk4ZGZiOTMyOTM=

To be eligible at all for a per diem you have to be traveling on state business. In order for the quoted sections to be applicable in the first place, you would need to demonstrate a need to travel away from the governor's mansion to Wasilla was related to her duties as governor.

splatbass
09-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Sorry, I don't see the issue. ~$50/day?

I've traveled on government per diem. You get money for lodging. If she is at her own home she does not need to be paid for lodging. If I tried to pull something like that I would be fired.

dirk digler
09-10-2008, 09:34 AM
If you were as good as Sarah they would, but your not so they won't

Really?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/us/politics/10billing.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&ref=todayspaper&adxnnlx=1221052066-S0Xp3MFaNa3eloDOZcw4Eg&oref=slogin

The practice of billing for staying at home seems to be unusual. Many officials said it would not be allowed in their states, including California, Pennsylvania and South Carolina, as well as other jurisdictions. On the federal level, officials said members of Congress do not get per diem allowances for routine home visits.

ROYC75
09-11-2008, 02:40 PM

Sweet, where do we sign the petition ? :D