PDA

View Full Version : Elections Take off my Governor's Hat

irishjayhawk
09-09-2008, 07:12 PM
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?s=8885438

'Governor's hat' off, Palin blasts Clean Water initiative
by Jason Lamb
Friday, Aug. 22, 2008

ANCHORAGE, Alaska-- The governor has come out against the so-called Clean Water initiative.

Gov. Sarah Palin spoke out against it earlier this week, drawing sharp criticism from a group that supports Ballot Measure 4.

It is against the law for the governor to officially advocate for or against a ballot measure; however, Palin took what she calls "personal privelege" to discuss one of this year's most contentious initiatives, which voters will decide Tuesday.

"Let me take my governor's hat off just for a minute here and tell you, personally, Prop 4 -- I vote no on that. I have all the confidence in the world that (the Department of Environmental Conservation) and our (Department of Natural Resources) have great, very stringent regulations and policies already in place," Palin said. "We're going to make sure that mines operate only safely, soundly."

Renee Limoge with Alaskans Against the Mining Shutdown, a group opposing Ballot Measure 4, said her group was "very pleased" that Palin made her intentions clear.

Meanwhile, Alaskans for Clean Water, which supports the measure, has filed a complaint against DNR for a recently-launched state website meant to clarify the issue for voters.

The group believes the state is illegally staking its position on the proposition before Alaskans vote next Tuesday.

A spokesman for the group called Palin's comments "highly unethical."

"You can literally say that these guys in DNR are sitting there with the mining industry, taking it straight off their play book. The slideshow they had up on the screen when they announced this thing is straight from the one they use in their presentations around the state," said Art Hackney of Alaskans for Clean Water. "I think it's absolutely outrageous -- and somehow, unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me."

The announcement comes a day after both sides of this issue released new expense reports.

Both sides combined have spent more than $1.6 million on advertising in the past three weeks alone.

Sorry if this is a repost. I'm trying to keep myself off of here as much as possible to focus on other things.

orange
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Just days before the vote on the ballot initiative, Palin stated publicly that she opposed it. "Let me take my governor's hat off just for a minute here and tell you, personally, Prop. 4, I vote no on that," she said. Groups that supported the measure argued that Palin's comments were highly unethical. They also filed a legal complaint against the state government for improperly weighing in against Prop. 4 on the state's website.

The Alaska Public Offices Commission ordered the state to take down the questionable web content, but said Palin's public statement was permissible because she made it clear it was her personal opinion. Polls before her statement showed voters strongly in favor of the measure, but in the end nearly 60 percent of the public voted against it.

"Conventional wisdom around here is that [her statement] changed the tide on the proposition, from narrowly passing to being defeated," said Van Tuyn.

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/8/30/20129/1935/

So, she was perfectly within her rights to make the statement despite the political nit-pickers, AND her statement carried a huge weight with the Alaska electorate. Sounds like a courageous and effective leader to me.

irishjayhawk
09-09-2008, 09:33 PM
That is an insanely idiotic statement.