PDA

View Full Version : Elections Ooops ....It is Gods will that is guiding her...

Logical
09-09-2008, 11:06 PM
First on oil
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QG1vPYbRB7k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

On War in Iraq
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9H-btXPfhGs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

So what is next McCain dies and it was Gods will to launch our Nukes?

Mecca
09-09-2008, 11:07 PM
I hate people that say that crap, "well I asked God'

Guru
09-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Great. Another eventual 100 post thread to bash religious people. Have fun.

Logical
09-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Great. Another eventual 100 post thread to bash religious people. Have fun.I don't care who is religious, but I sure as hell don't want someone a heartbeat from the Presidency that excuses bullshit by saying, Well it was Gods will.

HonestChieffan
09-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Those funny Christians and their silly beliefs.

Logical
09-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Those funny Christians and their silly beliefs.If they might be President or VP yes.

irishjayhawk
09-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Great. Another eventual 100 post thread to bash religious people. Have fun.

Wait a second!

We don't have a right to be concerned that someone is taking orders from a supernatural being?

Would you say the same thing if it was an alien instead of god?
Bigfoot, instead of god? Leprechauns?

Logical
09-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Wait a second!

We don't have a right to be concerned that someone is taking orders from a supernatural being?

Bigfoot, instead of god? Leprechauns?Well Leprechauns are lucky.:shake:

Guru
09-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't care who is religious, but I sure as hell don't want someone a heartbeat from the Presidency that excuses bullshit by saying, Well it was Gods will.
I can't watch the two videos right now, but if they are the ones I was seeing last night on MSNBC I didn't see it as them excusing bullshit by saying, Well it was Gods will. IIRC they were asking people to pray for an end result. I really don't see the problem with that. It may or may not have any effect on the end result but it certainly can't hurt anything either.

There are tons of people that live their life by that rule and I really don't see the problem with it. They are allowed their beliefs and have every right to them. Do you think that because they live their lives this way it means they will do nothing to remedy the actual end result after the fact? Bush asked for prayer on 9/11 and when we went to war. Actually several times. What can it hurt? Seriously?

Even if you are not certain there is a God or not. Why not?

DaneMcCloud
09-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Wait a second!

If it were the aliens that crashed landed in New Mexico, I'm out.

Those bastards can't even fly their own spacecraft without a national incident, let alone advise the POTUS on spiritual matters.

Logical
09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I can't watch the two videos right now, but if they are the ones I was seeing last night on MSNBC I didn't see it as them excusing bullshit by saying, Well it was Gods will. IIRC they were asking people to pray for an end result. I really don't see the problem with that. It may or may not have any effect on the end result but it certainly can't hurt anything either.

There are tons of people that live their life by that rule and I really don't see the problem with it. They are allowed their beliefs and have every right to them. Do you think that because they live their lives this way it means they will do nothing to remedy the actual end result after the fact? Bush asked for prayer on 9/11 and when we went to war. Actually several times. What can it hurt? Seriously?

Even if you are not certain there is a God or not. Why not?

Definitely listen to the second one it is not all that long. The first one is about 7 minutes so I understand if people don't have the patience.

Guru
09-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Wait a second!

I've read most of your posts the last few days regarding this and truly do feel you are going way off the deep end with this outlook. I understand you think everyone who believes is a nutcase. You don't want anyone peddling their religion to you and that is fine.

I don't want anyone peddling their beliefs on me either. There is really no difference between what you are griping about and what you are presenting as your beliefs to us all.

I respect your right to not believe based on the facts as you understand them. I only ask that you respect others beliefs based on the facts as they understand them as well.

Guru
09-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Definitely listen to the second one it is not all that long. The first one is about 7 minutes so I understand if people don't have the patience.
I will. Later tonight.

irishjayhawk
09-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I've read most of your posts the last few days regarding this and truly do feel you are going way off the deep end with this outlook. I understand you think everyone who believes is a nutcase. You don't want anyone peddling their religion to you and that is fine.

I don't want anyone peddling their beliefs on me either. There is really no difference between what you are griping about and what you are presenting as your beliefs to us all.

I respect your right to not believe based on the facts as you understand them. I only ask that you respect others beliefs based on the facts as they understand them as well.

Not everyone is a nutcase. Delusional, not a nutcase.

irishjayhawk
09-09-2008, 11:31 PM

So you aren't going to answer the question?

irishjayhawk
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM

Also....

What facts? You have facts?

Guru
09-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Also....

What facts? You have facts?
AFter last night, I am not bothering with this debate with you. What I view as "the facts" and what you view as "the facts" are completely separate things.

That is the last word I have on this to bait all you want. I am not going any further with it.

irishjayhawk
09-09-2008, 11:38 PM
AFter last night, I am not bothering with this debate with you. What I view as "the facts" and what you view as "the facts" are completely separate things.

That is the last word I have on this to bait all you want. I am not going any further with it.

All I asked was for you to answer the question:

Why can non-believers not call into question this?

go bowe
09-09-2008, 11:40 PM
I don't care who is religious, but I sure as hell don't want someone a heartbeat from the Presidency that excuses bullshit by saying, Well it was Gods will.good Lord...

the proposed alaska pipeline is God's will?

this is coming from a person who in all likelhood will become president before the end of mccain's first term...

i wonder why she reminds me of harriet?

Guru
09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
All I asked was for you to answer the question:

Why can non-believers not call into question this?

alright, last post on this.....

My answer to the question is that I have no problem with her saying that as I don't view it as "taking orders from a supernatural being" as you put it. I believe in fate. Things happen the way they do for a reason. They were supposed to happen that way. When I hear anyone speak of God's will, that is what I attribute it to.

Also, I never said you couldn't call it into question. I only stated that I believe you are making more of it than is truly necessary.

wazu
09-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Regarding the OP, what a great clip! A Governor goes back to her hometown church and speaks very honestly to the assembly and praises God, and asks that they pray that their leaders are guided by God's wisdom. I watched all of it, and didn't see the "OOOPS" moment.

Logical
09-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Regarding the OP, what a great clip! A Governor goes back to her hometown church and speaks very honestly to the assembly and praises God, and asks that they pray that their leaders are guided by God's wisdom. I watched all of it, and didn't see the "OOOPS" moment.If you watched the 2nd video I don't see how you missed it. The first video was about an Oil Pipeline and was long. Without the 2nd video the first seems less of a problem.

wazu
09-10-2008, 12:16 AM
If you watched the 2nd video I don't see how you missed it. The first video was about an Oil Pipeline and was long. Without the 2nd video the first seems less of a problem.

The second is just a clip that was already included in the first. I didn't miss anything.

Logical
09-10-2008, 12:18 AM
The second is just a clip that was already included in the first. I didn't miss anything.So you are OK with someone who thinks she is going to directly be told by God what to do running this country if McCain dies. I tell you Adam I am shocked, I thought you were more logical than that.

wazu
09-10-2008, 12:31 AM
So you are OK with someone who thinks she is going to directly be told by God what to do running this country if McCain dies. I tell you Adam I am shocked, I thought you were more logical than that.

Yes. I have built a very successful life, and I credit it all to giving up major decisions to God. When I am at a definitive crossroads, I pray for guidance. This doesn't mean I don't do my research and weigh all of the evidence to the best of my ability, but at some point I turn to God. Once I do, the best path to follow is always shown to me.

Example:

About 6 years ago I was working for a company that wasn't doing all that well. My wife was 6 months pregnant with our first child, and we were barely able to pay the bills, and were starting to stack up debt.

After looking for jobs in various places, I found one that was about an 8% pay cut, but sounded more stable. My wife and I discussed it, and ultimately prayed for God's guidance. The next day I woke up and knew that I should take the job, and I did. My wife stayed back to sell the house, and I moved to my new job in K.C. A month later, my old boss sent me an e-mail telling me they were shutting down the factory I had been working at, and everybody there was being let go. Last month I payed the last payment on the last of our student loans.

Was my decision illogical?

DaneMcCloud
09-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Yes. I have built a very successful life, and I credit it all to giving up major decisions to God.

No offense to you but please define "success".

Logical
09-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Yes. I have built a very successful life, and I credit it all to giving up major decisions to God. When I am at a definitive crossroads, I pray for guidance. This doesn't mean I don't do my research and weigh all of the evidence to the best of my ability, but at some point I turn to God. Once I do, the best path to follow is always shown to me.

Example:

About 6 years ago I was working for a company that wasn't doing all that well. My wife was 6 months pregnant with our first child, and we were barely able to pay the bills, and were starting to stack up debt.

After looking for jobs in various places, I found one that was about an 8% pay cut, but sounded more stable. My wife and I discussed it, and ultimately prayed for God's guidance. The next day I woke up and knew that I should take the job, and I did. My wife stayed back to sell the house, and I moved to my new job in K.C. A month later, my old boss sent me an e-mail telling me they were shutting down the factory I had been working at, and everybody there was being let go. Last month I payed the last payment on the last of our student loans.

Was my decision illogical?I am happy for you Adam, I truly am. I am also happy you wont be our President.

Guru
09-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Keep in mind. Successful means different things to different people. I consider my life successful as well. I am certain others probably wouldn't.

Happiness = Success

wazu
09-10-2008, 12:36 AM

One that makes me happy. I'm not independently wealthy or anything. Great marriage, great kids, good career, and relationships with family and friends that I thank God for every day.

Take the Jerry McGuire mentor quote: "I love my life, I love my wife, and I wish YOU my kind of success."

DaneMcCloud
09-10-2008, 12:40 AM
One that makes me happy. I'm not independently wealthy or anything. Great marriage, great kids, good career, and relationships with family and friends that I thank God for every day.

Take the Jerry McGuire mentor quote: "I love my live, I love my wife, and I wish YOU my kind of success."

Thank you.

I wasn't being judgmental. It just helps to understand your perspective.

Best to you!

ClevelandBronco
09-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Wait a second!

No.

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 01:37 AM
No.

?

Logical
09-10-2008, 01:41 AM
?Probably pulling your chain, if not, not worth wasting time on him or people like him. They are not rationale, they really believe it is acceptable for a supernatural being decides when the Nukes go off. Frankly I would rather they follow Santa Claus.

ClevelandBronco
09-10-2008, 01:44 AM
?

Are you really that worried about the soundness of our constitutional republic that you think one person's views could ever override what we've inherited?

I think I have more confidence in our system than you do.

It's entirely possible that I've missed something that you've caught.

Please share.

ClevelandBronco
09-10-2008, 01:48 AM
Come on, Logical. Learn to write in English. It's not like you're a damned teenager.

Logical
09-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Come on, Logical. Learn to write in English. It's not like you're a damned teenager.
You are welcome to point out my poor English. I anxiously await your explanation.

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 01:59 AM
Are you really that worried about the soundness of our constitutional republic that you think one person's views could ever override what we've inherited?

I think I have more confidence in our system than you do.

It's entirely possible that I've missed something that you've caught.

Please share.

There are several on this board who don't understand the First Amendment. And what it has come to mean, what it DOES mean, and what it should mean. There are people who fail to understand the separation of church and state. There are people in this country who want to alter the constitution for Christ. Hell, one tried to run for President and was actually considered. And, perhaps most of all, the believers outnumber the non-believers.

I don't have faith in our system because I don't have faith in people. More times than not, they prove to be stupid. Hell, just look at some of the threads started on both sides of this season.

When Adept coined it "silly season" he wasn't joking. It's downright depressing.

ClevelandBronco
09-10-2008, 02:01 AM
You are welcome to point out my poor English. I anxiously await your explanation.

I'm certain that it's my fault. I beg your pardon, but you await my explanation of what?

Guru
09-10-2008, 02:04 AM
There are several on this board who don't understand the First Amendment. And what it has come to mean, what it DOES mean, and what it should mean. There are people who fail to understand the separation of church and state. There are people in this country who want to alter the constitution for Christ. Hell, one tried to run for President and was actually considered. And, perhaps most of all, the believers outnumber the non-believers.

I don't have faith in our system because I don't have faith in people. More times than not, they prove to be stupid. Hell, just look at some of the threads started on both sides of this season.

When Adept coined it "silly season" he wasn't joking. It's downright depressing.

Huckabee lost all relevance when he made that statement.

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Huckabee lost all relevance when he made that statement.

Unfortunately, I don't think so; especially if this board is to be a microcosm of the electorate.

Guru
09-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think so; especially if this board is to be a microcosm of the electorate.
He lost it with me anyway. Nothing needs to be changed in our constitution.

I can't stand the press for the most part but we just have to live with it.

Mecca
09-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Have you ever noticed alot of people who do insane things think that God talks to them?

Jenson71
09-10-2008, 05:50 AM

Adept didn't coin that term. Unless he's a lot older than we think.

Have you ever noticed a lot of people who do insane things think that God talks to them?

Think? Maybe they know God talks to them and God is just really insane.

NewChief
09-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Attacking Palin on her religion is a no win for the Left. The Bush wins should have taught us that. Praying for positive outcomes in a variety of situations and asking for prayer is something that a majority of Americans do, whether conservative or liberal. I realize that some of the left would like to relegate religion to the realm of the republican right, but that's a mistake, politically and morally.

Anyway, get back to me if you find video of her talking in tongues, handling snakes, or drinking strychnine.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Attacking Palin on her religion is a no win for the Left. The Bush wins should have taught us that. Praying for positive outcomes in a variety of situations and asking for prayer is something that a majority of Americans do, whether conservative or liberal. I realize that some of the left would like to relegate religion to the realm of the republican right, but that's a mistake, politically and morally.

Anyway, get back to me if you find video of her talking in tongues, handling snakes, or drinking strychnine.

It's definitely a political mistake, but religion does not hold a monopoly on morality, nor do its practitioners show any more of it than the non-religious.

NewChief
09-10-2008, 06:44 AM
It's definitely a political mistake, but religion does not hold a monopoly on morality, nor do its practitioners show any more of it than the non-religious.

I completely agree with that. I'm just saying that the Dems, in an effort to live up to the morals of an inclusive party, should be careful not to exclude Christians.

Morality was probably a lame word to throw in there, but it's early in the morning.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2008, 06:48 AM
I completely agree with that. I'm just saying that the Dems, in an effort to live up to the morals of an inclusive party, should be careful not to exclude Christians.

I'd like a further delineation of Christianity. I'd just assume tell the Rick Warrens of the world "Thanks, but we aren't changing any of our planks for you."

NewChief
09-10-2008, 06:54 AM
I'd like a further delineation of Christianity. I'd just assume tell the Rick Warrens of the world "Thanks, but we aren't changing any of our planks for you."

I'm not talking about changing the platform. I'm talking about the constant hostility and anger directed towards Christians. I'm Episcopal, and our church belief system doesn't contradict the Dem platform on much. On those that it does, I don't demand or even want change. I tire, personally, of seeing the scorn heaped on believers, and by association me, by my own side, though. I also tire, politically, of seeing my side go down this road time after time without realizing their mistake.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-10-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm not talking about changing the platform. I'm talking about the constant hostility and anger directed towards Christians. I'm Episcopal, and our church belief system doesn't contradict the Dem platform on much. On those that it does, I don't demand or even want change. I tire, personally, of seeing the scorn heaped on believers, and by association me, by my own side, though. I also tire, politically, of seeing my side go down this road time after time without realizing their mistake.

The Religious Left needs to do a better job differentiating itself, because as it currently exists, it is a political null set.

ROYC75
09-10-2008, 08:57 AM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

penchief
09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Those funny Christians and their silly beliefs.

You're missing the point. If she is going to make decisions based on what she perceives as God's will instead of the public's will she should run for minister instead of public office.

But don't let that stop you from trying to turn that distinction into an attack on Christians.

Garcia Bronco
09-10-2008, 09:44 AM
If the democrats exclude christians then they'll lose everytime. It's the largest voting base in the country.

penchief
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
If the democrats exclude christians then they'll lose everytime. It's the largest voting base in the country.

Democrats aren't excluding Christians.

Sully
09-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Democrats aren't excluding Christians.

Par for the course...

Pro Choice-->They love abortions and want to force people to have them!!!!
Keep government and religion separate--> They are trying to eliminate Christianity from the United States!!!!
Criticize actions of government--> They hate America!!!!!
Rights for the accused (Due process, etc)--> They want to protect criminals!!!!

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Par for the course...

Keep government and religion separate--> They are trying to eliminate Christianity from the United States!!!!
Rights for the accused (Due process, etc)--> They want to protect criminals!!!!

I've also always wondered where "militant" plays in when describing atheists. When's the last time you heard of an atheist group bombing, killing, or otherwise doing something militaristic?

plbrdude
09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Keep in mind. Successful means different things to different people. I consider my life successful as well. I am certain others probably wouldn't.

Happiness = Success

:clap::clap::clap:
i fully agree. my bank account my not be as large as other peoples.
my car may not be as fancy.
nor my house as big and nice as some other peoples.
but i'm happy with what i have.
i enjoy what i do and am able to live in what i consider the most beautiful part of america.

Pitt Gorilla
09-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Par for the course...

Rights for the accused (Due process, etc)--> They want to protect criminals!!!!You're probably not supposed to have access to the playbook. Didn't the Turk talk to you about that?

Logical
09-10-2008, 01:55 PM
If the democrats exclude christians then they'll lose everytime. It's the largest voting base in the country.I don't have a problem with Christians but I don't want some nutjob who will Nuke Iran just because she feels like it and then claim it was Gods will. Seems like the Crusades were Gods will and that sure worked out well. Maybe Sarah will feel like burning some witches, Gods will ya know.

WilliamTheIrish
09-10-2008, 02:03 PM

I love this guy. Sort of the "programmer" mentality. "Facts" this and "facts" that, then .... nothing.

Stinger
09-10-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't have a problem with Christians but I don't want some nutjob who will Nuke Iran just because she feels like it and then claim it was Gods will. Seems like the Crusades were Gods will and that sure worked out well. Maybe Sarah will feel like burning some witches, Gods will ya know.

How is this view different from Obama's???

sometimes you can seek power just for power's sake instead of because you want to do service to God. I just want all of you to pray that I can be an instrument of God in the same way that Pastor Ron and all of you are instruments of God . . . We're going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/1907990/posts

I ask in the name of Jesus Christ that my sins are forgiven, that my family is protected and that I am an instrument of God's will. I'm constantly trying to align myself to what I think he calls on me to do. And sometimes you hear it strongly and sometimes that voice is more muted."

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/228/story_22894_1.html#

Logical
09-10-2008, 02:25 PM
How is this view different from Obama's???Mainly he is being vague, but honestly I am uncomfortable with that as well. This shit has to stop. We need leaders who do what is right for this country not Gods will.:rolleyes:

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 02:28 PM
How is this view different from Obama's???

I'm inclined to believe that Obama is pandering. And the evidence I have is that for every instance of religiosity there's an equally baffling non-religious quote.

For example, "clinging to religion".

Stinger
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Mainly he is being vague, but honestly I am uncomfortable with that as well. This shit has to stop. We need leaders who do what is right for this country not Gods will.:rolleyes:

I don't want to make this assumption to your beliefs on this subject, so excuse my ignorance but are you saying you are more comfortable with Obama's vagueness over Palin's forthrightness. It seems to me it is better to know where someone stands on the issue than trying to guess?

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't want to make this assumption to your beliefs on this subject, so excuse my ignorance but are you saying you are more comfortable with Obama's vagueness over Palin's forthrightness. It seems to me it is better to know where someone stands on the issue than trying to guess?

Conversely, vagueness often indicates a disinterest.

Stinger
09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Conversely, vagueness often indicates a disinterest.

You really think Obama has a disinterest in the religious aspect (IE makeup) of this election?

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
You really think Obama has a disinterest in the religious aspect (IE makeup) of this election?

Honestly, yes. Do I think he panders, which contradicts his "politics of old" slogan? Yes.

Again, for as much religiosity as he shows he shows disinterest too.

Stinger
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Honestly, yes. Do I think he panders, which contradicts his "politics of old" slogan? Yes.

Again, for as much religiosity as he shows he shows disinterest too.

Interesting. I must admit from my perspective he seemed to be a man of Christian faith and not necessarily a pander to those who believed. I also believe, like his opponents, he has tried to inject those beliefs of Christianity into the American mindset, I may have been wrong in this assessment I will need to look at it a little more.

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Interesting. I must admit from my perspective he seemed to be a man of Christian faith and not necessarily a pander to those who believed. I also believe, like his opponents, he has tried to inject those beliefs of Christianity into the American mindset, I may have been wrong in this assessment I will need to look at it a little more.

I'd like to hear your example of him injecting his beliefs into the mindset. I wanna see if it is my tuner that needs adjusting.

plbrdude
09-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Mainly he is being vague, but honestly I am uncomfortable with that as well. This shit has to stop. We need leaders who do what is right for this country not Gods will.:rolleyes:

fwiw--God's will is what is right for this country. problem is many in the political field are more concerned with their own agenda than truly seeking God's will.
and i'm pretty sure God's will is more in line with helping our neighbors than killing them.that said i'm thinkin the war in iraq wasn't exactly a mission from God.

Guru
09-10-2008, 05:22 PM
I love this guy. Sort of the "programmer" mentality. "Facts" this and "facts" that, then .... nothing.
Programmer? thats funny.

I don't offer debate with posters that are pointless to debate with. I don't debate either. I discuss. Too many on here want to friggin debate. I'm not here for that.

Comparing me to Programmer though. wow. Just wow.

go bowe
09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't want to make this assumption to your beliefs on this subject, so excuse my ignorance but are you saying you are more comfortable with Obama's vagueness over Palin's forthrightness. It seems to me it is better to know where someone stands on the issue than trying to guess?we'd love to hear all about how ms. palin stands on the issues that confront our nation, but they won't let her talk with the (real) media...

i think we have a right to know where our next/next president stands on the issues and she should tell us what her policy is wrt those issues...

she was a small town mayor and now she's the governor of a state with a population smaller than kc...

it's not like there are literally thousands of small town mayors who might be as "qualified" for the presidency as she is...

oh wait...

you know, every time i think about next/next president palin, i can't get the harriet supreme court nomination out of my mind...

like one of those songs that get stuck in your head and you can't get rid of it...

in sum, nominee palin very nearly = nominee harriet, sort of...

go bowe
09-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Programmer? thats funny.

I don't offer debate with posters that are pointless to debate with. I don't debate either. I discuss. Too many on here want to friggin debate. I'm not here for that.

Comparing me to Programmer though. wow. Just wow.you're right...

that's a dirty thing to say...

but it's pretty much what i do too...

the "debate" aspect is too much work for my tired brain...

i discuss a little now and then, but mostly i'm looking for phrases or words that i can incorporate into my posts in a (hopefully) funny way...

that's enough work for me these days...

but i do have to say, go hussein, go!!!1!!!!11!!

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Programmer? thats funny.

Comparing me to Programmer though. wow. Just wow.

Well, to be fair, you didn't even answer the question as to what facts you had.

And there is a grey area as to when a discussion becomes a debate and a debate becomes a discussion. Dissecting someone's evidence and providing a rebuttal to some could be discussion and to others debate. Asking someone to back up their shit could be discussion or debate.

Guru
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, to be fair, you didn't even answer the question as to what facts you had.

And there is a grey area as to when a discussion becomes a debate and a debate becomes a discussion. Dissecting someone's evidence and providing a rebuttal to some could be discussion and to others debate. Asking someone to back up their shit could be discussion or debate.
The way you tend to post with me is not inviting. You tend to try and insult based on a persons belief. I answered the question you were pushing last night and I told you last night I was not getting into a "facts" debate with you. It would be pointless for both of us and you know that. You just want the opportunity to trash my beliefs.

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 05:37 PM
The way you tend to post with me is not inviting. You tend to try and insult based on a persons belief. I answered the question you were pushing last night. and I told you last night was not getting into a "facts" debate with you. it would be pointless for both of us and you know that. You just want the opportunity to trash my beliefs.

If asking what the basis of your beliefs is and why they're anywhere close to rational is "trashing" then, okay. However, I've had many civil conversations on this subject with people.

It would be more pointless, however, to pretend that everyone should just agree to disagree on religion when religion causes so much strife.

Guru
09-10-2008, 05:42 PM
If asking what the basis of your beliefs is and why they're anywhere close to rational is "trashing" then, okay. However, I've had many civil conversations on this subject with people.

It would be more pointless, however, to pretend that everyone should just agree to disagree on religion when religion causes so much strife.
I haven't witnessed these civil conversations then. Some of us just don't like to debate. When you go out of your way to label people who believe in some form of God as delusional, you lose my respect. That one word alone pretty much tells me all I need to know.

Moving on.

J Diddy
09-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I haven't witnessed these civil conversations then. Some of us just don't like to debate. When you go out of your way to label people who believe in some form of God as delusional, you lose my respect. That one word alone pretty much tells me all I need to know.

Moving on.

YOU'RE DELUSIONAL

:whackit:

irishjayhawk
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM

Moving on.

If it is not belief in something not true, what is it?

de·lu·sion Audio Help [di-loo-zhuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an act or instance of deluding.
2. the state of being deluded.
3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.

And the first two are states for the same word in a different tense.

And is calling someone delusional not civil? If it is not civil, why?

Also, I note that you're very good at ignoring whole parts of posts. Where exactly do you define a discussion going into a debate? Or vice versa.